Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

JPM Reserve VISA Infinite replaced Palladium (2016 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread continues discussion which started here in 2010: JP Morgan Palladium Card

Temporary COVID-19 rewards are documented here:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...asehome_3/hero

JP Morgan Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0512_Web.pdf

JP Morgan Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/jpmreserve2

JP Morgan Reserve card features are found here
https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/jpmreserve/travel

Print Wikipost

JPM Reserve VISA Infinite replaced Palladium (2016 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Magic Pickles
Next time just apply for a CLI on one of your other Chase cards and reallocate afterwards.
I think I'll just move credit around in the future from my other card.

Definitely will not ask for an increase
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:43 pm

I wouldn't worry about going over your limit since the JPMR card isn't reported to credit bureaus. So utilizing 100% of your line shouldn't matter. I have a $60,000 line and I've had a month where I charged $120,000 no problems
I guess if you really needed to you can close another chase card and have that credit line applied to the reserve
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Jason77
I wouldn't worry about going over your limit since the JPMR card isn't reported to credit bureaus. So utilizing 100% of your line shouldn't matter. I have a $60,000 line and I've had a month where I charged $120,000 no problems
I guess if you really needed to you can close another chase card and have that credit line applied to the reserve
Are you sure you charged $120,000 without a problem? My credit access line is $90,000 but I want to buy a car on this card (if the dealer finally obliges). That would put me $20k over the credit access line but I would immediately pay it off, I want the points. So if you were able to charge double your credit access line that is really optimistic. I did not want to appear as a risky cardholder for going over the limit like that.

Does anyone know if this feature is unique to the JPMR? I would much rather do this on my Freedom Unlimited for the 1.5 points.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:20 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by cce5858
Are you sure you charged $120,000 without a problem? My credit access line is $90,000 but I want to buy a car on this card (if the dealer finally obliges). That would put me $20k over the credit access line but I would immediately pay it off, I want the points. So if you were able to charge double your credit access line that is really optimistic. I did not want to appear as a risky cardholder for going over the limit like that.

Does anyone know if this feature is unique to the JPMR? I would much rather do this on my Freedom Unlimited for the 1.5 points.
Your ability to exceed credit access is easily determined by calling chase. You will be surprised what you learn re JPMR, and not so much re Freedom.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:07 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob

See #1209; you should have no problem on JPMR. Other Signature and Infinite cards also let you go over access line but likely not as much as JPMR.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:44 am

You should be fine but you can always keep them on the phone when doing it if it alleviates your concerns during the process. Your dealer I assume will want you to cover the CC fee and sign a paper of some sort discharging your right to do a chargeback, dispute, etc but otherwise I don't know why they won't take it? I have never been told no trying to do it if I offered up front to do those 2 things.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:43 am

The card is designed so you can go 3x over your limit. It doesn't report to credit bureaus so I don't really worry about it. My ink card is the same way with being able to charge over the limit. I wouldn't want it going over my limit on regular reported credit cards. If JP has a problem with it I'll move over to Amex. You would be surprised how much they will let you charge without phone calls etc. If you have a 100k charge you could us Amex plat for 1.5 MR. if not I suppose you can see if your line can get rolled over to freedom.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Card Design

Just curious about your opinions concerning why the JMPR engraves account information on the card's front, while the CSR chooses to keep a cleaner look by placing the information on the back?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:29 am

I've put 50k down on a car on my freedom. But I called in advance, they made note, and accepted payment. I paid it off 4 months later (8% interest), the tricky part is finding a dealer who would accept such a large amount. Most will not take over 5k, let alone 10k for many reasons.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Just curious about your opinions concerning why the JMPR engraves account information on the card's front, while the CSR chooses to keep a cleaner look by placing the information on the back?
Me personally, the JP looks and feels everything it should. I like th digits in front. It's the perfect card, without the engraving imo.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Next time just apply for a CLI on one of your other Chase cards and reallocate afterwards.
Heads up, if you try to reallocate $100k or more in credit, it triggers additional, manual reviews (happened to me twice). Easiest thing to do is just have your JPM or CPC guy request the limit increase/reallociation on your behalf - let them deal with talking to lending services.

Originally Posted by Venomz
I've had no charges decline over the limit. I've only gone over the limit for a brief time my first or second billing cycle, but paid it down back to 50% utilization within 5 days.
As others have said, you can charge at least 3x your credit access line no problem. I've never had a charge declined, even six figure ones. My understanding is that POS purchases should never be declined as long as you are under 3x your CAL. Anything that triggers a fraud alert is supposed to be dealt with later, not at the time of purchase.

JPM Palladium had the same 3x feature as JPMR. JPM Select had 2x. Other NPSL cards are YMMV.

Good luck letting a dealer charge an entire car to your card without some kind of extra fee. If they let you do it, it probably means you didn't negotiate well since they could afford to eat the CC processing fees and still make a profit.

Originally Posted by Venomz
I've put 50k down on a car on my freedom. But I called in advance, they made note, and accepted payment. I paid it off 4 months later (8% interest), the tricky part is finding a dealer who would accept such a large amount. Most will not take over 5k, let alone 10k for many reasons.
Why would you ever revolve a balance?

Last edited by bribro; Dec 3, 2016 at 6:37 pm
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by bribro
Heads up, if you try to reallocate more than six figures in credit, it triggers additional, manual reviews (happened to me twice). Easiest thing to do is just have your JPM or CPC guy request the limit increase/reallociation on your behalf - let them deal with talking to lending services.
Do you mean "six figures or more" rather than "more than six figures"? (e.g. $100k or over rather than $1MM)

How about if this was requested via SM rather than calling?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Do you mean "six figures or more" rather than "more than six figures"? (e.g. $100k or over rather than $1MM)

How about if this was requested via SM rather than calling?
Six figures or more. Edited. ^

I've never tried to do a reallocation via SM, so don't know.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 10:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bribro
Heads up, if you try to reallocate $100k or more in credit, it triggers additional, manual reviews (happened to me twice). Easiest thing to do is just have your JPM or CPC guy request the limit increase/reallociation on your behalf - let them deal with talking to lending services.

As others have said, you can charge at least 3x your credit access line no problem. I've never had a charge declined, even six figure ones. My understanding is that POS purchases should never be declined as long as you are under 3x your CAL. Anything that triggers a fraud alert is supposed to be dealt with later, not at the time of purchase.

JPM Palladium had the same 3x feature as JPMR. JPM Select had 2x. Other NPSL cards are YMMV.

Good luck letting a dealer charge an entire car to your card without some kind of extra fee. If they let you do it, it probably means you didn't negotiate well since they could afford to eat the CC processing fees and still make a profit.

Why would you ever revolve a balance?
Annoying dealer only allowed me to put $15,000 on the card and also the title and registration fees. But I chose a different 911 off the lot and it was $3000 cheaper, so I guess I am ok. But thanks to everyone letting me know how I can use this card...I don't think I will be going over my limit anytime soon.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 12:50 am

Programs: Cards: JPMR, United Quest, Chase Ink Bus Cash, Chase Freedom U, Citi Costco, AmEx Blue
Congrats on the 911! Hard to beat that choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.