Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton Visa Infinite - closed for applications 7.26.2018 (2016-2021)

Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Ritz-Carlton Rewards Visa Infinite (closed to new applications)

All card offers are dead as of 7/26/18.

Information still available on the Chase SITE.

The previous version of this card was discussed HERE.

(Expired) New Card Bonus ($4,000 spending): Two free night certificates good at any Ritz Carlton (Marriott) properties up to 60,000 points (possible to book any SPG properties later)
(old: at any tier 1-4 Ritz Carlton Hotel after $4k spend).
current offer (dead): https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/rit...n/naepredirect
  • Annual fee of $450 NOT waived.
  • 6 points per dollar at Marriott properties, including SPGs and Ritz-Carltons. (same as all Chase & AmEx Marriott cards)
  • 3 points per dollar at restaurants, car rental companies and airline tickets purchased directly from airlines
  • 2 points per dollar on all other purchases (same as all Chase & AmEx Marriott cards)
  • Annual (anniversary) free night award good at any Marriott (including Ritz) property up to 50,000 MRs.
  • Automatic Marriott Gold Status.
  • Marriott Platinum Status after $75,000 card spending in a card-member year.
  • $100 companion airfare discount booked through Visa Infinite website.
  • $100 statement credit for Global Entry after the Global Entry program application fee is charged to an eligible card.
  • $300 Annual (calendar) Travel Credit "Only the following types of non-ticket purchases qualify for this offer: airline lounge day pass, or towards a yearly lounge membership of your choice; airline seat upgrades; airline baggage fees; in-flight Internet/entertainment; in-flight meals."
  • Three (3) Ritz Carlton Club Level upgrade certificates each year for up to 7 nights each stay. The stays must be paid stays, excluding point redemption and award night.
  • Troon Rewards and PRIVÉ ACCESS golf benefits
  • $100 credit for qualifying dining, spa or other hotel recreational activities. Use the credit with any paid stay at The Ritz-Carlton of two nights or more OR get a $100 hotel credit per stay at all Marriott luxury properties. Advance reservations are required. Valid only on non-discounted rates. Cannot be combined with any packages, discounts, negotiated corporate or group rates or point-redemption bookings.

Things qualifying/not qualifying under $300 annual travel credit
one member wrote: AA is now showing gift cards as "giftcard" rather than general purchase if the csr looks closely. Last year it worked for me, yesterday it did not and csr told me that's why. However, later the same day I also requested the credit by Secure Message (for "baggage fees) and it was approved. Very YMMV now but still doable. 2/10/2017

Southwest Airlines GCs work fairly easily. I've generally bought them for $150 and said they're excess baggage fees.

Frequent Miler has a collection of data points of what has worked in the past. Link

Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton Visa Infinite - closed for applications 7.26.2018 (2016-2021)

Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
While there has been speculation that one or both of these credit cards will be disappearing, as of now Chase is accepting new applications for both, and the issuer tells us it has no new updates to share on that front. However, it would be odd for the bank to add new benefits to cards that it plans to discontinue in the near future, so there may still be some life left in these two products.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/ritz-c...-card-changes/

The reasoning in this paragraph is unpersuasive. Chase must implement any changes that Marriott dictates, and it's pretty clear that Marriott wants parity between American Express and Chase products. It's sensible to make these adjustments even if the product will soon be discontinued for new applications, so that holders of the legacy cards will have little incentive to cancel, and apply for the corresponding card from the other issuer.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:23 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I'm going to have so many free RC/Marriott nights to use each year, adding all the RC + SPG cards. Now need to work on the airline side....
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by mia
https://thepointsguy.com/news/ritz-c...-card-changes/

The reasoning in this paragraph is unpersuasive. Chase must implement any changes that Marriott dictates, and it's pretty clear that Marriott wants parity between American Express and Chase products. It's sensible to make these adjustments even if the product will soon be discontinued for new applications, so that holders of the legacy cards will have little incentive to cancel, and apply for the corresponding card from the other issuer.
Well, all of that waiting was pretty uneventful. A free night is nice, but losing status sucks. I'll still keep the card but still won't put any spend on it.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:04 pm

What are the thoughts an a Free 50K Annual Night Certificate...upgradeable or only eligible at 50k or less properties?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Quimby4
What are the thoughts an a Free 50K Annual Night Certificate...upgradeable or only eligible at 50k or less properties?
Marriott free certs have traditionally not been upgradable, unless something changes...

Originally Posted by RedSun
I'm going to have so many free RC/Marriott nights to use each year, adding all the RC + SPG cards. Now need to work on the airline side....
If you can get benefit out of all of those, great. I feel like there's less of a reason to hold many cards now -- elite qualifying nights no longer stack between personal and business cards, .etc.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nall
If you can get benefit out of all of those, great. I feel like there's less of a reason to hold many cards now -- elite qualifying nights no longer stack between personal and business cards, .etc.
Annual free rooms more than pay for the AF. Never tried to stack the rewards.

RC and AmEx Plat both get the MR gold taken out of it. The new gold is not the old Gold any more.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:12 pm
CDO
Suspended

How is it possible we still do not know what our current ritz certs convert to? Three weeks out and still no info?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan
To me, the uncertainties are:

1) What the new bonus offer will be?
IMHO, a much bigger uncertainy is whether this card will be available for new applications at all much longer. It was previously announced that only Amex, not Chase, would have rights to "market" a luxury card in the new program. And it's also been announced that the new program is launching in August.

So while anything is possible, I wouldn't count on being able to apply for this card come September.

And if you can't apply for a card, there's no point asking what the signup bonus on it is.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:54 am

Ritz - $10k to Play before August?

Hi guys. Wondering if we have any DPs on this and folks in similar situation:

Had this card for few years now. Auto Ritz/Marriott gold in year one, year two i spent $10k only to keep gold, then i stopped spending anything on the card once the Amex Plat-->SPG gold backdoor match became available.

Given that there was chatter that Chase-earned Gold status may get new Plat I went ahead and unlinked my Marriott and SPG accounts. Per the loyalty linking site, the matched upgraded status should drop off to pre-linked status, IRRC. Given that i have under ten stays this and last year on Marriott and I haven't spent much on the Ritz card i was expecting my status to drop off to Silver Marriott.

I called Marriott and they confirmed the SPG and MR were unlinked. (I did it from SPG side, per Marriott's original instructions when i called a month ago)

My Marriott profile still says Gold Elite. When I called Marriott Rewards they don't see any reference that my status is because of SPG match They see that i have a Ritz card so they *assume* that is why i have gold.

I've been putting mad organic spend on the ritz card and am about to hit $10k. I wanted to downgrade the status so that it can be bumped to Gold from chase side when my $10k statement cycle closes in July/ Marriott cannot downgrade me they said.

I haven't been able to get the Marriott reps to tell me *why* I am gold. No reference (on their end) to SPG. In other words, how would the system know where to place me post conversion. unless ONLY Golds earned via 50+ nights get the new plat.

They said the SPG accounts will automatically link -- i suppose i should ensure the email addresses are different on the account just to slow down the match process. (an aside, i cashed my MR points all to the SPG side, so haven't even thought about getting the current nights and flights marriott packages...)

What say you, folks?

could me being gold post unlink be a glitch on the Marriott side? they think I am still gold because of the Ritz card? I am already cringing the opportunity cost of having spent the $10k on this card (i'd get a minimum 20k Amex points for using BBP 2x card, or CIP for 3x on Plastiq)

should i get them to somehow manually downgrade me before ritz card statement w $10k spend closes? Would the chase update even arrive in time before the Aug 1 deadline?

interested in what folks are thinking as well as if anyone has gone through un-linking and what happened to the marriott side? did your status drop to silver after the unlink or did it stay gold?

various calls to marriott as well as chase executive team (the customer service # on the back of ritz card) gave no indication that credit card earned gold (pre merger) would get anything but gold in the new program.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Hi guys. Wondering if we have any DPs on this and folks in similar situation:

various calls to marriott as well as chase executive team (the customer service # on the back of ritz card) gave no indication that credit card earned gold (pre merger) would get anything but gold in the new program.
Not sure exactly what you want to do. Your AmEx Plat gives you SPG Gold, so Marriott and RC Gold. Now after you spend $10k on RC card and realized that the $10k won't get you the Marriott Plat. So what the SPG unlinking does to you? You are still just Gold, either from RC or AmEx Plat.

Am I missing something? It is just harder to get to Marriott Plat just from the bunch of credit cards we still hold. I get about 7 MR/RC/SPG CCs in the family.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
The migration policy is pretty clear. If you earned MR gold, you get MR platinum in the new program. If you earned SPG gold, you get MR gold in the new program. Earning gold from the RC card falls under the first situation, and earning gold from your AMEX plat falls under the other. There's no exception noted anywhere for people who earned gold via the RC card; you still earned MR gold and it should translate to MR plat accordingly.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
The migration policy is pretty clear. If you earned MR gold, you get MR platinum in the new program. If you earned SPG gold, you get MR gold in the new program. Earning gold from the RC card falls under the first situation, and earning gold from your AMEX plat falls under the other. There's no exception noted anywhere for people who earned gold via the RC card; you still earned MR gold and it should translate to MR plat accordingly.
If this is true, if I earned RC gold, then it should migrate to MR Plat regardless the SPG/Plat linking?

What happens for the people who are with RC for the first year and it is not really EARNED? I guess there is no difference of RC earned vs 1st year gold?

With the $10k earning RC gold going away, this only earns the MR Plat for one year....
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RedSun
If this is true, if I earned RC gold, then it should migrate to MR Plat regardless the SPG/Plat linking?

What happens for the people who are with RC for the first year and it is not really EARNED? I guess there is no difference of RC earned vs 1st year gold?

With the $10k earning RC gold going away, this only earns the MR Plat for one year....
Marriott's website is pretty clear. MR Gold Elite becomes MR Platinum. There's no asterisk, that's it. The only condition is that SPG has their own migration, but RC status has nothing to do with SPG. I think if they planned to keep people who earned via the RC card at gold they would have specifically outlined that at the same time they were noting that SPG matched gold is not moving to platinum.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:06 am

-----

Last edited by mster; Apr 25, 2019 at 8:39 am
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mster
Is there still time to apply for the current Ritz Carlton card / be granted Marriott Gold prior to the August 1st changes?

If your Marriott account is already Marriott Gold *but* Marriott Gold earned from SPG Gold (eg. eligible for new Marriott Gold on 8/1) would being approved for this card make you eligible for new Marriott Platinum on 8/1 instead?
From what I understand, RC and MR have been combined or integrated. So whatever status you get RC is the same as your true MR status. So if you get auto RC Gold the first year or earned it through $10k spending, the RC/MR status stays and get migrated to the new program.

If you EARNED MR Gold through SPG spending, the MR Gold stays and get migrated to new program.

If you get MR Gold through AmEx or SPG status matching, the MR Gold would not stick and get migrated to the new MR Gold.

I can be wrong, but this makes a lot of sense.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.