Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton Visa Infinite - closed for applications 7.26.2018 (2016-2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Ritz-Carlton Rewards Visa Infinite (closed to new applications)

All card offers are dead as of 7/26/18.

Information still available on the Chase SITE.

The previous version of this card was discussed HERE.

(Expired) New Card Bonus ($4,000 spending): Two free night certificates good at any Ritz Carlton (Marriott) properties up to 60,000 points (possible to book any SPG properties later)
(old: at any tier 1-4 Ritz Carlton Hotel after $4k spend).
current offer (dead): https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/rit...n/naepredirect
  • Annual fee of $450 NOT waived.
  • 6 points per dollar at Marriott properties, including SPGs and Ritz-Carltons. (same as all Chase & AmEx Marriott cards)
  • 3 points per dollar at restaurants, car rental companies and airline tickets purchased directly from airlines
  • 2 points per dollar on all other purchases (same as all Chase & AmEx Marriott cards)
  • Annual (anniversary) free night award good at any Marriott (including Ritz) property up to 50,000 MRs.
  • Automatic Marriott Gold Status.
  • Marriott Platinum Status after $75,000 card spending in a card-member year.
  • $100 companion airfare discount booked through Visa Infinite website.
  • $100 statement credit for Global Entry after the Global Entry program application fee is charged to an eligible card.
  • $300 Annual (calendar) Travel Credit "Only the following types of non-ticket purchases qualify for this offer: airline lounge day pass, or towards a yearly lounge membership of your choice; airline seat upgrades; airline baggage fees; in-flight Internet/entertainment; in-flight meals."
  • Three (3) Ritz Carlton Club Level upgrade certificates each year for up to 7 nights each stay. The stays must be paid stays, excluding point redemption and award night.
  • Troon Rewards and PRIVÉ ACCESS golf benefits
  • $100 credit for qualifying dining, spa or other hotel recreational activities. Use the credit with any paid stay at The Ritz-Carlton of two nights or more OR get a $100 hotel credit per stay at all Marriott luxury properties. Advance reservations are required. Valid only on non-discounted rates. Cannot be combined with any packages, discounts, negotiated corporate or group rates or point-redemption bookings.

Things qualifying/not qualifying under $300 annual travel credit
one member wrote: AA is now showing gift cards as "giftcard" rather than general purchase if the csr looks closely. Last year it worked for me, yesterday it did not and csr told me that's why. However, later the same day I also requested the credit by Secure Message (for "baggage fees) and it was approved. Very YMMV now but still doable. 2/10/2017

Southwest Airlines GCs work fairly easily. I've generally bought them for $150 and said they're excess baggage fees.

Frequent Miler has a collection of data points of what has worked in the past. Link

Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton Visa Infinite - closed for applications 7.26.2018 (2016-2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Travelchurner
Some consider it immoral and refuse to do it.
Maybe so, but there is no way to set spending limits on AU cards, so if you have 3 AU's and a 30k limit, then the AUs all have access to the 30k limit, not something everyone wants to let their kids/wife/mistress(es) have access to. This is one of the best cards for AU privileges, something you want to give to other people without having to share your entire credit limit with. Plus, who needs any credit on this? 1/3 of an spg pt per dollar, yay!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Travelchurner
Some consider it immoral and refuse to do it.
Morality has nothing to do with it. It's within the rules. Chase does all kinds of shady things to customers and sets all sorts of punitive rules. No reason why we can't hit back when possible.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeJunkie
Morality has nothing to do with it. It's within the rules. Chase does all kinds of shady things to customers and sets all sorts of punitive rules. No reason why we can't hit back when possible.
It's also within the rules for Chase to shut down all of your credit cards whenever they want. That's Chase's standard response to any account holder they deem risky or abusive. For me it would be about that, not about morality. The rest of my credit card relationship with Chase is worth far more than $450.
DaveH and coffee18 like this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
It's also within the rules for Chase to shut down all of your credit cards whenever they want. That's Chase's standard response to any account holder they deem risky or abusive. For me it would be about that, not about morality. The rest of my credit card relationship with Chase is worth far more than $450.
This is a valid point, but if you do enough business with chase, have some money in the bank, etc, they might look at it and say, yea do we want to cancel his/her accounts or keep them as a lifelong customer, if you have no track record with them I could see them cutting you out, otherwise not. Its discussed for the ritz card mostly. What things are in place for other cards like Amex plat, biz plat, citi aa exec, CSR, prestige, altitude, crystal visa (need one of those), do they simply say if your limit is x,xxx, your account will be closed?

Chase can still shut you down whenever they want, probably best to avoid office max too since they sell gift cards.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by moops380
Its discussed for the ritz card mostly. What things are in place for other cards like Amex plat, biz plat, citi aa exec, CSR, prestige, altitude, crystal visa (need one of those), do they simply say if your limit is x,xxx, your account will be closed?
Most wont allow you to lower it to low enough of a CL to result in no fee.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...What things are in place for other cards like Amex plat, biz plat, citi aa exec, CSR, prestige, altitude, crystal visa (need one of those), do they simply say if your limit is x,xxx, your account will be closed?

Chase's practice appears to be wrong. I do not know whether this is based on a very conservative interpretation of the regulation, or a programming error. The Federal rule is very specific and refers to the initial credit limit. Reducing the credit limit after the fact should have no effect on the fee. Is there any other card, even another Chase card, where this happens?

This issue would not arise with American Express charge cards, because there is (usually) no specified credit limit.

Here is the text of the law:

‘‘(n) STANDARDS APPLICABLE TO INITIAL ISSUANCE OF SUBPRIME
OR ‘FEE HARVESTER’ CARDS.—
‘‘(1) IN GENERAL.—If the terms of a credit card account
under an open end consumer credit plan require the payment
of any fees (other than any late fee, over-the-limit fee, or
fee for a payment returned for insufficient funds) by the consumer
in the first year during which the account is opened
in an aggregate amount in excess of 25 percent of the total
amount of credit authorized under the account when the
account is opened,
no payment of any fees (other than any
late fee, over-the-limit fee, or fee for a payment returned for
insufficient funds) may be made from the credit made available
under the terms of the account.

Last edited by mia; Mar 29, 2018 at 10:25 am
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:20 am

...if you do enough business with chase, have some money in the bank, etc, they might look at it and say, yea do we want to cancel his/her accounts or keep them as a lifelong customer...
It's naive to think that way in this day and age, especially in retail. Risk management departments, particularly at banks, have become more powerful than profit centers over the last decade. IMO, if Chase deems you risky or abusive, by whatever unpredictable metric-du-jour they happen to be using, they'll cut you off and never look back.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:39 pm

Does the Ritz credit limit need to be reduced to $1,500 prior to the annual fee being assessed for the no fee trick to work? My wife opened her card 2 weeks ago and put $4,500 in spend on it. We made a $3K payment a few days ago and were waiting to pay it down further before reducing the limit. The $450 annual fee just hit today. Is it too late to reduce the limit now?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:44 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by DnvTrvlr
Does the Ritz credit limit need to be reduced to $1,500 prior to the annual fee being assessed for the no fee trick to work? My wife opened her card 2 weeks ago and put $4,500 in spend on it. We made a $3K payment a few days ago and were waiting to pay it down further before reducing the limit. The $450 annual fee just hit today. Is it too late to reduce the limit now?
The AF hits with the first billing statement. How can you game the card like this? Then Chase has all the reason to shut the card down, or not to give you the two free nights....
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DnvTrvlr
Does the Ritz credit limit need to be reduced to $1,500 prior to the annual fee being assessed...
See HERE from 2016, but don't ignore the fee, pay it and wait for a refund.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:19 pm

hi guys
any new chatter as far as what we can expect to happen to this card once Marriott and SPG programs merge? Will Chase grandfather this card? (i mainly care about the Visa air benefit), would they move the accounts to Amex (i hope not, I'd prefer to get a juicy signup from Amex). or will they convert these cards to a CSR (similar to how they converted Fairmont cards to CSP)
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
hi guys
any new chatter as far as what we can expect to happen to this card once Marriott and SPG programs merge? Will Chase grandfather this card? (i mainly care about the Visa air benefit), would they move the accounts to Amex (i hope not, I'd prefer to get a juicy signup from Amex). or will they convert these cards to a CSR (similar to how they converted Fairmont cards to CSP)
I'd say it's highly unlikely that this card moves to Amex since Chase is retaining a portion of the Marriott card portfolio.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:09 am

hi guys
Supposedly existing accounts will continue to be serviced, and just closed to new applications. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the benefits are "aligned" to whatever Amex is offering.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
...or will they convert these cards to a CSR (similar to how they converted Fairmont cards to CSP)
Everything is rumor at the moment, but since the "premium consumer" card will be issued by Amex, a conversion of the Ritz to a CSR would be my preferred outcome. I can always use another Chase UR card.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
The AF hits with the first billing statement. How can you game the card like this? Then Chase has all the reason to shut the card down, or not to give you the two free nights....
I'm grandfathered to the $395 AF, and maybe $450 vs. $395 is the difference but I'd never close this card. $300 travel credit each year, unlimited $100 off Visa Infinite flights, PP, Gold that transfers to SPG, free AU. Plus the 3 nights I got as a bonus. I'm way over 5/24 to get CSR, so I'd never close this thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.