Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton Visa Infinite - closed for applications 7.26.2018 (2016-2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Ritz-Carlton Rewards Visa Infinite (closed to new applications)

All card offers are dead as of 7/26/18.

Information still available on the Chase SITE.

The previous version of this card was discussed HERE.

(Expired) New Card Bonus ($4,000 spending): Two free night certificates good at any Ritz Carlton (Marriott) properties up to 60,000 points (possible to book any SPG properties later)
(old: at any tier 1-4 Ritz Carlton Hotel after $4k spend).
current offer (dead): https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/rit...n/naepredirect
  • Annual fee of $450 NOT waived.
  • 6 points per dollar at Marriott properties, including SPGs and Ritz-Carltons. (same as all Chase & AmEx Marriott cards)
  • 3 points per dollar at restaurants, car rental companies and airline tickets purchased directly from airlines
  • 2 points per dollar on all other purchases (same as all Chase & AmEx Marriott cards)
  • Annual (anniversary) free night award good at any Marriott (including Ritz) property up to 50,000 MRs.
  • Automatic Marriott Gold Status.
  • Marriott Platinum Status after $75,000 card spending in a card-member year.
  • $100 companion airfare discount booked through Visa Infinite website.
  • $100 statement credit for Global Entry after the Global Entry program application fee is charged to an eligible card.
  • $300 Annual (calendar) Travel Credit "Only the following types of non-ticket purchases qualify for this offer: airline lounge day pass, or towards a yearly lounge membership of your choice; airline seat upgrades; airline baggage fees; in-flight Internet/entertainment; in-flight meals."
  • Three (3) Ritz Carlton Club Level upgrade certificates each year for up to 7 nights each stay. The stays must be paid stays, excluding point redemption and award night.
  • Troon Rewards and PRIVÉ ACCESS golf benefits
  • $100 credit for qualifying dining, spa or other hotel recreational activities. Use the credit with any paid stay at The Ritz-Carlton of two nights or more OR get a $100 hotel credit per stay at all Marriott luxury properties. Advance reservations are required. Valid only on non-discounted rates. Cannot be combined with any packages, discounts, negotiated corporate or group rates or point-redemption bookings.

Things qualifying/not qualifying under $300 annual travel credit
one member wrote: AA is now showing gift cards as "giftcard" rather than general purchase if the csr looks closely. Last year it worked for me, yesterday it did not and csr told me that's why. However, later the same day I also requested the credit by Secure Message (for "baggage fees) and it was approved. Very YMMV now but still doable. 2/10/2017

Southwest Airlines GCs work fairly easily. I've generally bought them for $150 and said they're excess baggage fees.

Frequent Miler has a collection of data points of what has worked in the past. Link

Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton Visa Infinite - closed for applications 7.26.2018 (2016-2021)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:52 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
I would only caution you that the CSP trip delay and cancellation insurance is significantly worse than the RC Visa. CSR has the same coverage as RC Visa, but now charges $100 more in annual fees.

Originally Posted by Totoro
This card has the same mediocre points earning structure as the other Marriott co-branded cards, and CSR/CSP has both trip delay/cancellation and primary car rental insurance. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old Apr 3, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I find little other reason to keep this card since this was the most valuable benefit for those not taking advantage of Ritz Carlton Club upgrade certificates. This card has the same mediocre points earning structure as the other Marriott co-branded cards, and CSR/CSP has both trip delay/cancellation and primary car rental insurance. Any thoughts or suggestions?
You're getting a $300 airfare credit (Easy to find ways to cash it out) and 1 free night up to 50k points for $450, plus Priority Pass (with unlimited guests and restaurants). More power to you if you want to cancel this card.
lsquare and txpenny like this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by hi55us
You're getting a $300 airfare credit (Easy to find ways to cash it out) and 1 free night up to 50k points for $450, plus Priority Pass (with unlimited guests and restaurants). More power to you if you want to cancel this card.
Plus free AU's and if I remember correctly there is no limit to how many guests you can bring into the priority pass lounge.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 7:36 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
thanks to all for sharing benefit details

Originally Posted by progapanda
I would only caution you that the CSP trip delay and cancellation insurance is significantly worse than the RC Visa. CSR has the same coverage as RC Visa, but now charges $100 more in annual fees.
Thank you very much for pointing this out. I called in 2018 to inquire about CSR and Ritz-Carlton Visa insurance coverage for tour operator bankruptcies and was told the two cards have the same coverage. Somehow, I made to leap to assume that the they have same insurance coverage across the board. Perhaps I should keep this card long-term rather than CSR. My alternative plan consists of downgrading CSR to Freedom, charging airfare and US restaurants to AMEX Business Gold, and charging other travel expenses to US Bank Altitude Reserve (I've received conflicting information regarding primary rental car insurance on this card though). I already have Chase Ink Preferred card should I ever need to transfer UR points to FF or hotel loyalty plans. I might or might not apply for CSP later on, depending on future sign-up bonus.

I'm not a one-hit wonder who posted just to complain. I really feel torn about whether to keep the card. I usually manage to max out the airline fee credit due to fees incurred on non-US airlines or domestic carriers not designated for AMEX airline fee credits. $450-$300 airline fee credit = $150. Superficially, this looks like a good value to pay for the 1 night RC stay up to 50,000 point value. However, many of these RC properties tend to be places that I'd like to enjoy for more than one night, but I don't really care to pay for the second night's cash rate (if I had two of the cards and consequently two certificates, that'd be a different story!). I find the IHG or Marriott certificates easy to use for one-night stays at airport properties or somewhere off an interstate. Obviously, RC properties don't fit this profile. Hence, my feeling conflicted.

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Plus free AU's and if I remember correctly there is no limit to how many guests you can bring into the priority pass lounge.
Thanks for pointing out these finer details that evaded my notice. I didn't know about the free AU benefit although I don't plan to add authorized users in the forseeable future. I already have Priority Pass through my CSR (assuming CSR has the same Priority Pass membership benefits). As above, my alternative plan consists of keeping this card and downgrading CSR to Freedom. I made a hasty decision to keep CSR when I saw they grandfathered me in for the current annual fee when they hiked it by $100 for next year's renewal. In retrospect, I should have just downgraded CSR with the current travel hiatus making the CSR travel benefits rather superfluous.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 7:44 pm

...Superficially, this looks like a good value to pay for the 1 night RC stay up to 50,000 point value. However, many of these RC properties tend to be places that I'd like to enjoy for more than one night, but I don't really care to pay for the second night's cash rate (if I had two of the cards and consequently two certificates, that'd be a different story!). I find the IHG or Marriott certificates easy to use for one-night stays at airport properties or somewhere off an interstate. Obviously, RC properties don't fit this profile. Hence, my feeling conflicted.

Thanks for pointing out these finer details that evaded my notice. I didn't know about the free AU benefit although I don't plan to add authorized users in the forseeable future. I already have Priority Pass through my CSR (assuming CSR has the same Priority Pass membership benefits). As above, my alternative plan consists of keeping this card and downgrading CSR to Freedom. I made a hasty decision to keep CSR when I saw they grandfathered me in for the current annual fee when they hiked it by $100 for next year's renewal. In retrospect, I should have just downgraded CSR with the current travel hiatus making the CSR travel benefits rather superfluous.
The certificate given by the Ritz card is good for any Marriott property up to 50K level, not just RC hotels.

The Priority Pass member of RC card gives unlimited guest, unlike the 2 limited of the CSR. Minor, but useful, difference.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter
The certificate given by the Ritz card is good for any Marriott property up to 50K level, not just RC hotels.

The Priority Pass member of RC card gives unlimited guest, unlike the 2 limited of the CSR. Minor, but useful, difference.
Perhaps I really just haven't kept up with program changes. Were the certificates previously valid only at RC properties? If they've opened redemptions up for properties throughout the Marriott system, then I think I'll definitely keep this card and downgrade CSR next year (with its new higher annual fee).

I don't have immediate need for unlimited guests, but that's definitely a nice Priority Pass feature to have. Of course, with my luck they'll downgrade that benefit by the time I have a use for it!

Thanks so much for your input!
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Perhaps I really just haven't kept up with program changes. Were the certificates previously valid only at RC properties? If they've opened redemptions up for properties throughout the Marriott system, then I think I'll definitely keep this card and downgrade CSR next year (with its new higher annual fee).

I don't have immediate need for unlimited guests, but that's definitely a nice Priority Pass feature to have. Of course, with my luck they'll downgrade that benefit by the time I have a use for it!

Thanks so much for your input!
The annual 50k certificate benefit was added around the merger of the SPG and Marriott programs. In the past, the annual nights on other Marriott cards didn't work at RC properties purely due to them being category based and the RC properties having a separate "tier" system which required more points than any of the CC certificates were worth anyway.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 10:30 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
I have read people complain about it being difficult to use. I guess that largely depends on one's travel pattern. If I often don't have to pay to check bags nor purchase food/drink/wifi onboard, I assume I would have a tough time maxing out the benefit?

LAX
Old Apr 4, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LAX
I have read people complain about it being difficult to use. I guess that largely depends on one's travel pattern. If I often don't have to pay to check bags nor purchase food/drink/wifi onboard, I assume I would have a tough time maxing out the benefit?

LAX
I have never gotten pushback for charges between $0 and $150 where I SM and say I want to apply my credit to the charge. They reimbursed an $118 AirAsia ticket.

I've still not paid any AF on this card since I got it in 2018 so it has been by far the most lucrative credit card I've ever had. MR plat all through 2019. Used the two welcome bonus nights at Suiran Kyoto upgraded to a 200K JPY a night room. Used the $300 travel credit 3 times now. 3 AUs with PP memberships. Been getting $500+ of value out of the 50k certs.

Even when the AF starts showing up this card is free money. Can't imagine cancelling it unless the benefits were seriously crippled.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Apr 4, 2020 at 4:53 pm
Old Apr 4, 2020, 5:40 pm

You're getting a $300 airfare credit (Easy to find ways to cash it out) .
hints?
Old Apr 4, 2020, 8:37 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I have never gotten pushback for charges between $0 and $150 where I SM and say I want to apply my credit to the charge. They reimbursed an $118 AirAsia ticket.

I've still not paid any AF on this card since I got it in 2018 so it has been by far the most lucrative credit card I've ever had. MR plat all through 2019. Used the two welcome bonus nights at Suiran Kyoto upgraded to a 200K JPY a night room. Used the $300 travel credit 3 times now. 3 AUs with PP memberships. Been getting $500+ of value out of the 50k certs.

Even when the AF starts showing up this card is free money. Can't imagine cancelling it unless the benefits were seriously crippled.
Thanks for reporting your experience. A big part of my personal decision is how easy I can use the $300 in legitimate ways to offset the AF. I certainly won't hesitate if the net AF is $150 (after the $300 credit), but I stand to lose whatever airline credits I can't use because there is no SUB to fall back on. I personally don't believe in playing some of the "games" that have been reported in the various threads for Amex Plat, which is why I have been holding out until I get that unicorn of 100K SUB offer (I realize there is a good chance it may never happen).

LAX
Old Apr 5, 2020, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
This is the main reason I keep the card. Most of the time I am traveling alone, so the unlimited guest benefit is not a big deal, but adding free authorized users has been nice. So far, I've just added those in my immediate family, but it has been useful for them when they are traveling with their families/friends, since I know they would be hesitant to sign up for a credit card with a $450 annual fee on their own. Anytime you can make other family members happy without having to invest a great deal of personal time or expense is a good thing.

Personally, the airfare credit is not as easy as the Sapphire Reserve, but it's not impossible, and that, combined with the 50,000 point free night certificate offset the annual fee. If Chase wouldn't have offered me a $100 credit toward the CSR's annual fee, I was going to downgrade it within weeks, so my Ritz card would've still allowed me to use restaurants that were part of Priority Pass, since Amex excludes them

https://onemileatatime.com/chase-sap...ve-100-credit/
cuthroat and krish2cool like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
Personally, the airfare credit is not as easy as the Sapphire Reserve, but it's not impossible, and that, combined with the 50,000 point free night certificate offset the annual fee. If Chase wouldn't have offered me a $100 credit toward the CSR's annual fee, I was going to downgrade it within weeks, so my Ritz card would've still allowed me to use restaurants that were part of Priority Pass, since Amex excludes them

https://onemileatatime.com/chase-sap...ve-100-credit/
CSR, US Bank Altitude Reserve, and Citi Prestige cards offer "travel credits" (applicable to any travel-related charges, not restricted to airlines) whereas Citi Expedia, AMEX and Ritz-Carlton Visa offer more restrictive airline fee credits. Citi Expedia restricts redemption for select US carrier incidental fees less than $100 (cannot use against fees that are higher than $100, as many change fees are) but does not require advance selection of an airline. AMEX requires the much-reviled advance selection of a domestic US carrier. Ritz-Carlton Visa will reimburse both domestic and foreign carriers' incidental fees out of the airline fee credit (without advance airline selection), and I derive the greatest value from this as compared to AMEX.
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 11:44 am

Programs: Kettle Class
Has anyone's status with Marriott stayed at Platinum in light of the status extension? Several RC cardholders had continued to keep Platinum status for 2019-2020 based on signup date or earlier spend in 2018-2019.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by progapanda
Has anyone's status with Marriott stayed at Platinum in light of the status extension? Several RC cardholders had continued to keep Platinum status for 2019-2020 based on signup date or earlier spend in 2018-2019.
The press release said status EARNED in 2019. My Platinum dropped from Platinum to Gold in mid March like others who had signed up for the Ritz in 2018, and didn't jump back to Platinum since I didn't earn Platinum status in 2019.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.