Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion continues HERE.

This card is under 5/24. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24) pre-approval, or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days) is now live:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests.

Schumer box on 8/15/2016:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...g.do?card=FL3P

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The purchases made that you receive the $300 travel credit (or $85/$100 trusted traveler program credits) for do count towards the minimum spend, but the annual fee does not.

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air Saver to everyone after production (currently (8/26) appears to have about a 3-day delay after approval before shipping.)
Print Wikipost

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:25 am
Suspended

Suppose you do not using ANY of the benefits of the new CSR, but ONLY the $300 credit and 3x points. Would it still be worthwhile to keep this card after year one?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Suppose you do not using ANY of the benefits of the new CSR, but ONLY the $300 credit and 3x points. Would it still be worthwhile to keep this card after year one?

For me, absolutely. That makes the annual fee down to 225 for me with an AU and I can redeem at a minimum of 1.5cpp.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Yes, for sure.
No, it is not.

Sorry... but these theoretical thoughts can only be figured out on an individual basis. In this particular case it is $300 plus 3x. It would then change based on how much you would do to get 3x. Some would not, some would do it alot. Next factor is would you get more with the spend on another card.

Bottom line - YMMV.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:34 am

If you put $5500/year on travel/dining expenses on the card (that you would otherwise put on CSP) you will break even on the fee differential vs CSP, assuming a value of 1cpp. Anything more than that (or less depending on your valuation of UR) and CSR is better. I put a lot more than that on my CSP right now so it's a no-brainer for me to keep CSR long term.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by United747
I bet chase gets to pick some of the benefits and didn't want to pay for this one.
Yeah, but why make it a Visa Infinite then? What exclusive Visa Infinite benefits does this card have? For me, the $100 RT credit is the defining benefit. I've been aware of it for almost a year from the City National Crystal.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bodiddely
... assuming a value of 1cpp....
Why would you make that assumption? If you have Sapphire Preferred points are worth $0.0125 minimum. If you have Sapphire Reserve points are worth $0.015 minimum. If you transfer points you need to realize more than those minimums.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:58 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Yeah, but why make it a Visa Infinite then? What exclusive Visa Infinite benefits does this card have? For me, the $100 RT credit is the defining benefit. I've been aware of it for almost a year from the City National Crystal.
To say they offer 2 of 3? Visa Infinite cards in the US.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by bodiddely
If you put $5500/year on travel/dining expenses on the card (that you would otherwise put on CSP) you will break even on the fee differential vs CSP, assuming a value of 1cpp. Anything more than that (or less depending on your valuation of UR) and CSR is better. I put a lot more than that on my CSP right now so it's a no-brainer for me to keep CSR long term.
I did the same sort of math to figure out if I should add my wife as an AU. At minimum 1.5c per point, figured she needed to spend $3333.33 in a year on dining/travel (without me there to use my CSR) to break even on the $75 vs. the Freedom Unlimited 1.5x. We no longer have a CSP, right now. That spend, earning 3x instead of 1.5x, is 5000 extra points, and at 1.5cpp that's $75.

I think she'll easily make that spend without me, given a whole year. Plus, I value the points a little more than the 1.5c, too. So seems like the right move.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by steve4
Any updates on the Priority Pass guest access ?
Cardholder gets in for free, but have to pay $27 per guest.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:18 am

Private Client question

Let's say the app gets denied because of 5/24. Could you then become Private Client and get it approved via reconsideration within 30 days? Or, do you have to be a Private Client member before the initial application?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by PackingIt
My take on it is this: I simply don't know if it's a good 'fit' for me. But a 100k bonus makes it very easy for me to get this card and spend 12 months making that determination.
I totally agree.

I'll bank the 100k points and decide after 12 months whether to renew. I like the $300 travel credit, but the rest of the benefits to me are meh.

I already get 3x for my flights booked with PRG and I almost exclusively stay in Starwood hotels so I charge my hotel stays to my Starwood card. The CSR priority pass only gets the cardholder in and you have to pay for a guest so I doubt I will use that benefit much because I always travel with my wife. The primary car insurance is great for US rentals, but overseas, the insurance coverage provided by my PRG becomes primary anyway and I'd rather have Amex on my side for any potential disputes.

Last edited by Statman; Aug 17, 2016 at 11:29 am
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by cslovacek
I'm really really wishing/wanting for Chase (or Citibank) to come out with very premium card -- Annual Fee in the $750-$1,000 range, have mind blowing benefits and made out of metal. I would be all over that and it would be the only card I'd need to carry/use.

I could give up my United Club and AA Exec Card (which cost me $845/year already) and put all spend on one card.

Have Chase or Citibank ever studied such a card?
Uhm... The Palladium card is exactly this?

Not going to happen again.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Statman
What is the source of this detail?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Statman
What is the source for this? Was it in the T&C on the dev site or something?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by United747
To say they offer 2 of 3? Visa Infinite cards in the US.
Visa Infinite probably has higher interchange fees.

Last edited by patrick.barnes; Aug 17, 2016 at 11:30 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.