Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion continues HERE.

This card is under 5/24. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24) pre-approval, or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days) is now live:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests.

Schumer box on 8/15/2016:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...g.do?card=FL3P

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The purchases made that you receive the $300 travel credit (or $85/$100 trusted traveler program credits) for do count towards the minimum spend, but the annual fee does not.

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air Saver to everyone after production (currently (8/26) appears to have about a 3-day delay after approval before shipping.)
Print Wikipost

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:15 pm

More and more underwhelming the more details come out.

I'm thinking I'm going to drop my CSP to a Freedom Unlimited, then sign up for this card for the bonus, then drop it back down to CSP after a year unless something major changes. The $300 not being applicable to airfare is killer, and the 3x dining isn't near as good as the 4th night free benefit even after the citi prestige changes - so the Prestige is likely the one I'm going to keep long term.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, LH, AF/KLM, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
So the main value of this card seems to be the sign-up bonus which most of us probably won't be able to get because of 5/24. It'd be nice if they waived 5/24 to drive early sign ups, but I'm not holding too much hope. In any case it certainly doesn't seem worth upgrading from a CSP if you can't score the bonus.

We'll have to see how the fee credit shapes out though. Certainly one that redeems more like the Ritz and less like Plat would be nice. Mostly just depends on how closely they monitor the purchases; I feel like it's still easier to get non-incidentals reimbursed on the Ritz than on Plat.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lobstahpotts
So the main value of this card seems to be the sign-up bonus which most of us probably won't be able to get because of 5/24. It'd be nice if they waived 5/24 to drive early sign ups, but I'm not holding too much hope. In any case it certainly doesn't seem worth upgrading from a CSP if you can't score the bonus.

We'll have to see how the fee credit shapes out though. Certainly one that redeems more like the Ritz and less like Plat would be nice. Mostly just depends on how closely they monitor the purchases; I feel like it's still easier to get non-incidentals reimbursed on the Ritz than on Plat.
Since this thread is mostly about strong rumors, hypothesis and some wishful thinking, here's my hypothesis on airline credit: It appears that for the CNB Crystal Infinite card, most of the benefits are administered and even provided by Visa and not CNB, including airline credit. It's on the Visa Infinite portal they mention about the $250 credit as well as concierge service. Also, for the Crystal card, my airline reimbursement has been automatic, just like Amex...a bit delayed but very similar. That makes me think that for Sapphire Reserve the reimbursement process could be more like Amex Plat or CNB Crystal than like Ritz.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by bgriff
Note that the Visa Luxury Hotels Collection is also available (as far as I can tell with the exact same benefits) to Visa Signature cardholders, so it's not unique to the Infinite card. Indeed my no-annual-fee Freedom card is even a Visa Signature so it's not exactly a rare perk. It is not as good as FHR as it only offers a $25 resort credit rather than the $100 credit offered through FHR (though the $100 is often restricted to spa, so if you weren't going to use the spa, a $25 resort credit could be more valuable), but it does have a different mix of hotels so can be handy to have both options.
regarding the hotel collection: you get additional benefits at a smaller number of properties, kind of like amex's hotel collection vs FHR. i screengrabbed some stuff from my visa infinite benefits portal for reference. visa signature gets the first 7 benefits; visa infinite gets all 8. in the example below, you'd get a total of $125 in resort credit.

Name:  visainf.jpg
Views: 3045
Size:  85.0 KB
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jordan_h
regarding the hotel collection: you get additional benefits at a smaller number of properties, kind of like amex's hotel collection vs FHR. i screengrabbed some stuff from my visa infinite benefits portal for reference. visa signature gets the first 7 benefits; visa infinite gets all 8. in the example below, you'd get a total of $125 in resort credit.

Attachment 16515
Thanks! That's helpful. I had not yet tried booking through the portal because it does not have Las Vegas or Calgary where we went recently and I went ahead with Amex FHR.

After playing around with this a little bit, a few observations: It is still in its infancy in terms of locations and number of hotels, and two, benefits are comparable. The big difference was that Amex would quote me Australian dollars for booking vs. Visa converted it to USD. Amex had three hotels in FHR and Visa had one. For that one, pricing was just about the same. So, definitely, I would be frequenting this Infinite portal a bit more going forwards.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by ChillyDawg
More and more underwhelming the more details come out.

I'm thinking I'm going to drop my CSP to a Freedom Unlimited, then sign up for this card for the bonus, then drop it back down to CSP after a year unless something major changes. The $300 not being applicable to airfare is killer, and the 3x dining isn't near as good as the 4th night free benefit even after the citi prestige changes - so the Prestige is likely the one I'm going to keep long term.
I don't get the Chase Freedom to Reserve conversion. When you do a product change/conversion (that preserves your credit history), I understand you usually are not eligible for the "sign on" bonus. So, how do you intend to get the bonus in this scenario?
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
I don't get the Chase Freedom to Reserve conversion. When you do a product change/conversion (that preserves your credit history), I understand you usually are not eligible for the "sign on" bonus. So, how do you intend to get the bonus in this scenario?
He intends to apply for the card and get the bonus. Only changing his csp to a freedom as there is no point having both csp and the new one.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by KAFlyer
I rarely incur other incidental airline costs, and I am not paying $400+ for Priority Pass and 3X UR (especially now that most UR portal tickets are bulk tickets with $0 PQD and no elite status upgrade potential).
What is "$0 PQD"?

Originally Posted by vh_bu98
I wonder if you can get the 100k UR bonus if you upgrade from a CSP card?
Can one get the 100K bonus if upgrading (product change/conversion) from the Chase Freedom?

Last edited by philemer; Jul 30, 2016 at 3:01 pm
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: United Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
What is "$0 PQD"?
Premier Qualifying Dollars / Elite Qualifying Dollars / Medallion Qualification Dollars

To obtain frequent flyer status (priority boarding, free checked bags, automatic upgrades to Economy seating with more legroom, free space-available 1st class upgrades, etc.) on United, American, and Delta, you must spend at minimum of $3000 per year on flights (more $ for higher status levels).

An increasing number of tickets sold via the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal are considered "bulk tickets" or "free tickets" and count $0 toward the United, American, and Delta spend requirements for frequent flyer status. Furthermore, in many cases, these tickets do not qualify for free space-available 1st class upgrades.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 2:51 pm

Can one get the 100K bonus if upgrading (product change/conversion) from the Chase Freedom?
when i canceled my united MP explorer card, i asked about upgrading to united club with the no-annual-fee offer for which i was targeted in my united account. rep said any special offer requires a new application, so no. i didn't try hanging up and calling again, but if that rep was right, it would suggest that product changes aren't eligible for the bonus.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Bonvoy, Virgin Atlantic FlyingClub, Hilton HHonors, World of Hyatt
Originally Posted by jordan_h
when i canceled my united MP explorer card, i asked about upgrading to united club with the no-annual-fee offer for which i was targeted in my united account. rep said any special offer requires a new application, so no. i didn't try hanging up and calling again, but if that rep was right, it would suggest that product changes aren't eligible for the bonus.
I don't think I have ever seen a product change to offered a signup bonus. I've done a couple PC just to avoid another pull and I've never been offered a bonus. The only exception I will say is AMEX will sometimes target a change from a lower card to a higher version (Delta Gold to Delta Platinum) but you then will not get the larger signup bonus that is offered to new card holders.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:59 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by BuBu4
hopefully its got some premium stuff on it. I was originally planning on getting a Citi Prestige and keeping that one but now that that offer is down the drain, i probably plan to get another card...

Currently, have a CSP but the Citi premier seems to be a lot better than CSP...

hopefully this card will be good!
Premier doesn't have primary car rental insurance.This is a deal breaker for me. I was considering to cancel the Premier and keep the CSP. This card competes with Prestige, and Prestige doesn't have primary as well, but other protections of Prestige are the best, and better than any Chase card.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by jediwho
That's impressive. Basically, $50 cheaper than Prestige and $100 cheaper than Amex Platinum and better rewards than Prestige and much better than Platinum. I have used Ritz Card Concierge as well as customer service and it's top notch -- better than Prestige and slightly better than Amex. I won't be surprised if they have the same Palladium/Ritz desk.
It's $50 more expensive than prestige, because some of us got it with $350 AF.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
It's $50 more expensive than prestige, because some of us got it with $350 AF.
+1
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Any confirmation or denial on whether 5/24 applies to this new card?
Chase never announced this 5/24 stuff publicly, so if you want "confirmation or denial" you have to wait for actual data points, which will have to wait for people to actually be able to apply for this card.

However:

This a Chase non-co-branded card. Chase's personal non-co-branded cards have had 5/24 without any exception since May 2015. Also, the one time since then when Chase has had a new non-co-branded card introduced (Freedom Unlimited), 5/24 was applied to it from the moment it went public online (with any possible exceptions having to do with in-branch obscurities like always).

So based on all that, why would you think that 5/24 would not apply to this card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.