Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion continues HERE.

This card is under 5/24. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24) pre-approval, or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days) is now live:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests.

Schumer box on 8/15/2016:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...g.do?card=FL3P

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The purchases made that you receive the $300 travel credit (or $85/$100 trusted traveler program credits) for do count towards the minimum spend, but the annual fee does not.

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air Saver to everyone after production (currently (8/26) appears to have about a 3-day delay after approval before shipping.)
Print Wikipost

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Rare
This sounded like a great benefit to me at first, but both benefits are "supplemental to and excess of any valid and collectible insurance or other reimbursement". The medical coverage "covers only the medical expenses that are not covered by your medical insurance".

More concerning are these conditions on the medical evacuation coverage: "The evacuation must be pre-approved by the Benefit Administrator in consultation with a legally licensed Physician..." and "The Benefit Administrator must make the actual medical transportation arrangements."

Suppose I'm backpacking and suffer an injury such that I need to be airlifted to a hospital, and the governing body of that particular area charges for such services. It may be imperative that action be taken as soon as possible rather than taking the time to contact the Benefit Administrator, if such contact is even possible!

But perhaps these are normal conditions for similar insurance coverage; I have not paid much attention to such policies.
I only worry about buying medical coverage when I go outside the US. My regular health insurance coverage stops at the border, with very limited coverage in a different country. So I usually buy 50k or so of short term coverage just in case. With this card I can take a 2500 deductible on that short term coverage, bringing the price down.

As for the medical evacuation coverage, these terms are actually pretty good. All of these types of policies require the Benefit Adminstrator to approve. I've seen some policies that require "life threatening" illness or injury. Tough standard to meet. Others say it only has to be medically advisable to move you in the opinion of a doctor. That's a much lower standard. The other issue is usually the exclusion of pre-existing illness. Again, this is a very favorable clause. I've seen as long as 18 months and without an exception for diseases that are controlled with medication.

The real point of this coverage is to get you transported to a facility with first world medical care. It might or it might not be in the US. If you've just had a heart attack, you probably don't want to be treated in a clinic in the middle of nowhere if you can avoid it.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:56 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
There is a reason you were not able to read the 1,000 posts. People keep asking the same thing over and over and over.

And, people can not get it through their head that charges have to be posted as TRAVEL.

As to the 100k bonus.. it sure does appear to be valid - you can easily read what they are offering when they actually offer it. Geez.

And, that most of this stuff can not be answered, because it has not been released yet. Yea, you can read what details are posted and then wait to see when it gets released.

And another thing.

THIS IS NOT THE CITI PRESTIGE THREAD. It does not matter one freakin cent what Citi does. This is a new card issued by Chase.
So then when coded properly, are lounge fees considered TRAVEL? Unless I missed it, I didn't see lounges in the fine print. Simply answering the question would have saved me from making another post.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
As to the 100k bonus.. it sure does appear to be valid - you can easily read what they are offering when they actually offer it. Geez.
Hey, don't stress out...Geez!

Do you have Chase marketing materials that supports your statement "it sure does appear to be valid.."? If so, cite it and provide a link...If not, what positive do you have to add?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:08 pm

Man, why does this theme persist? There is no need to worry or overspend. Pay the annual fee, spend the additional $4000, call Chase and they will tell you that you've met your spending requirement. Enough with this overspend to be safe nonsense. It's bad and incorrect advice.

Originally Posted by trikotret
No idea what's the fuss about. Anyone who can spend 4000 in 3 months, can spend another few hundred to make sure they meet the min spend for bonus. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Look at the terms of the Citi Prestige. It even mentions "Air fares". But I don't think you can use their $250 credit to offset airfare purchases.

https://www.citicards.com/cards/cred...1C2L10101W&B=C
Of course you can.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by PackingIt
It's really quite simple: You have to SPEND $4000 + the $450 annual fee, for a total of $4450. The GE credit and $300 travel credit are CREDITS. They have nothing to do with your spend. You have to spend $4000 plus the annual fee. $4450. Nuff sedd.
Exactly. It's as simple as that.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
So then when coded properly, are lounge fees considered TRAVEL? Unless I missed it, I didn't see lounges in the fine print. Simply answering the question would have saved me from making another post.
YMMV. The only way to know for sure is when someone provides a datapoint with the card. You can't expect them to list every single type of travel.

Just take a look at the Arrival Plus thread for example where it can go both ways when you're thinking "travel".
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:57 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Originally Posted by frudd38
YMMV. The only way to know for sure is when someone provides a datapoint with the card. You can't expect them to list every single type of travel.

Just take a look at the Arrival Plus thread for example where it can go both ways when you're thinking "travel".
Thanks. I thought that data points observed when using CSP to pay lounge fees would tell the story. I would think that the types of purchases that fall into the travel category for both cards are pretty much identical.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:49 am

Programs: NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, IHG Spire Elite
100,000 UR

Originally Posted by 747FC
Hey, don't stress out...Geez!

Do you have Chase marketing materials that supports your statement "it sure does appear to be valid.."? If so, cite it and provide a link...If not, what positive do you have to add?
Here you go
Attached Images  

Last edited by kevin2dx; Aug 22, 2016 at 3:16 am
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by kevin2dx
Here you go
Sorry if the image is so big

Last edited by kevin2dx; Aug 22, 2016 at 3:11 am
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:15 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by kevin2dx
Sorry if the image is so big
Thanks! Proof at last.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Thanks! Proof at last.
I took a better pic of it check edit
Old Aug 22, 2016, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
I just don't follow why anyone cares about this, or any other questions about what is coded as "travel"; if you have any doubt about your ability to spend $300 on "travel" of some kind in a year (however it is defined) then this isn't the right card (or forum - FLYERtalk, after all) for you.

Same goes for the $4000 minimum spend; if you have any concern about hitting it, with or without the $300 reimbursement counting, this isn't the right card for you.

Separately, I'm going to walk into my Chase branch before work today and hopefully have a good datapoint to report.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:19 am
Suspended

It's 7:19 am CST and still no card online. Very frustrating.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, MileagePlus Silver, Executive National
Admittedly have checked to see if application was up but honestly seems silly being this caught up in signing up immediately for a card. In all honesty if I were Chase I'd probably flag everyone that signed up on the leaked link or in the first 24 hours of app being available as a possible churner etc and monitor cancellation rates etc. Just doesn't seem worth it, could easily wait a week, offer wont disappear in less than a week I'm sure.

Edit - Almost stated that obviously people with big spends upcoming would love to get this done ASAP which is understandable.

Last edited by homanga; Aug 22, 2016 at 6:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.