Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion continues HERE.

This card is under 5/24. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24) pre-approval, or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days) is now live:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests.


Schumer box on 8/15/2016:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...g.do?card=FL3P

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The purchases made that you receive the $300 travel credit (or $85/$100 trusted traveler program credits) for do count towards the minimum spend, but the annual fee does not.

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air Saver to everyone after production (currently (8/26) appears to have about a 3-day delay after approval before shipping.)
Print Wikipost

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:33 am
  #901  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 1,277
Originally Posted by wco81
If you're spending several thousand each year in travel, you're probably in a position where the difference between the $95 AF of the CSP and the net $150 AF of the CSR is not that significant in the scheme of things.

Unless you want to spend a whole lot of time trying to analyze how to squeeze every last cent of value.
Isn't that what we do here?

But I agree, the difference between the cost of the two cards isn't significant if you spend any money on travel or dining.
penner42 is offline  
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:35 am
  #902  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: LAX
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Posts: 1,310
Originally Posted by penner42
But getting the Crystal is not meaningless as it effectively prevents you from getting another signup bonus, at least with Chase, thanks to 5/24. So it's good that it has at least something.
So get CSR first and then Crystal. Cancel CSR in year 2, problem of 5/24 solved.
jediwho is offline  
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:35 am
  #903  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Nashville, TN
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, noted Travel Free Agent
Posts: 460
Originally Posted by wco81
If you're spending several thousand each year in travel, you're probably in a position where the difference between the $95 AF of the CSP and the net $150 AF of the CSR is not that significant in the scheme of things.

Unless you want to spend a whole lot of time trying to analyze how to squeeze every last cent of value.
No need to analyze much. CSP would net 2.5% vs. CSR netting 4.5% when redeemed for travel. CSR would earn 50% more points from travel, which is a big benefit for transferring to partners.

The analysis is harder between Prestige, City Crystal, and CSR. For me, CSR will really win out, but that assumes the wife is an AU. Doesn't look like City Crystal offers the redemption bonus either.
roundtree is offline  
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:38 am
  #904  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: NYC
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 14,729
Originally Posted by jediwho
Could not agree more. There just isn't any defining benefit this card brings to the table for me either to keep it.
Same here.

CSR is just Chase's card for the $450-market. No long term compelling benefit for AMEX Platinum or Citi Prestige customers to switch and stay with CSR.

AMEX has their Centurion Lounge
Citi has the 4th free and a 3 hour trip delay (vs Chase 6 hour trip delay)
Chase has primary rental car protection (but only limited to $75K and some luxury models excluded vs Citi secondary inside US but $100k limit with no specific model exclusion)

No clear winner. Each of us will have to consider which advantage is most useful.
seawolf is offline  
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:39 am
  #905  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Posts: 1,575
Early in branch results are not promising on Reddit in regards to 5/24.
heyeaglefn is offline  
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:43 am
  #906  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Nashville, TN
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, noted Travel Free Agent
Posts: 460
Originally Posted by seawolf
No long term compelling benefit for AMEX Platinum or Citi Prestige customers to switch and stay with CSR.
The biggest thing advantages for CSR that leap out to me are the higher redemption rates for travel and the better transfer partners. The $300 credit for nearly any travel charges is also welcome over the $200 incidentals from Amex.
roundtree is offline  
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:45 am
  #907  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 1,277
Originally Posted by seawolf
Same here.

CSR is just Chase's card for the $450-market. No long term compelling benefit for AMEX Platinum or Citi Prestige customers to switch and stay with CSR.

AMEX has their Centurion Lounge
Citi has the 4th free and a 3 hour trip delay (vs Chase 6 hour trip delay)
Chase has primary rental car protection (but only limited to $75K and some luxury models excluded vs Citi secondary inside US but $100k limit with no specific model exclusion)

No clear winner. Each of us will have to consider which advantage is most useful.
Yeah, I agree. I love the Centurion lounges, but I don't think they're worth $250/yr to me, simply because there aren't enough of them. Citi losing AA lounge access means I don't really get a good benefit from that. Chase doesn't have any huge credit card benefit that I see using, but I find the points much more valuable for my travel needs than TY or MR points. (I still have my 100k Amex Platinum signup bonus sitting there, no idea how I'm going to use it. My TY points I've spent on AA tickets at 1.6cpp.)

My Amex Platinum annual fee is coming up next month. I'm hoping they'll offer me a $200 statement credit in retention like some people have gotten. At $50 (after travel credit) for the next year, I'll keep the card.
penner42 is offline  
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:48 am
  #908  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 197
Just got off phone with Chase rep.

She said that the Reserve card should be available in branches Monday (tomorrow), and online later in the week.

She knew nothing about the 5/24 rule.

If the info is wrong, please don't shoot the messenger.
protagonist is offline  
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:52 am
  #909  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: PHX
Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
Posts: 377
Originally Posted by protagonist
Just got off phone with Chase rep.

She said that the Reserve card should be available in branches Monday (tomorrow), and online later in the week.

She knew nothing about the 5/24 rule.

If the info is wrong, please don't shoot the messenger.
Ah....and so we wait, and then we wait a little longer.
Tpa-flyer is offline  
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:59 am
  #910  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 836
Originally Posted by protagonist
Just got off phone with Chase rep.

She said that the Reserve card should be available in branches Monday (tomorrow), and online later in the week.

She knew nothing about the 5/24 rule.

If the info is wrong, please don't shoot the messenger.



Well, people are getting approved in branches today (Sunday), so it will certainly be available tomorrow in branches.

The real question is when the online application will go live.
FriscoHeavy is offline  
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:59 am
  #911  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 1,277
Originally Posted by cslovacek
Well, people are getting approved in branches today (Sunday), so it will certainly be available tomorrow in branches.

The real question is when the online application will go live.
Yeah. None of the branches near me are open Sundays. If it's not live online by tomorrow morning I'm heading to a branch.
penner42 is offline  
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:01 am
  #912  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: LAX
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Posts: 1,310
Originally Posted by penner42
Isn't that what we do here?
Yep, our core competency besides credit card churning, mileage running and MSing, is in optimizing spending to get the most points and then optimizing points and miles to get most bang for the buck.
jediwho is offline  
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:17 am
  #913  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: LAX
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Posts: 1,310
Originally Posted by roundtree
No need to analyze much. CSP would net 2.5% vs. CSR netting 4.5% when redeemed for travel. CSR would earn 50% more points from travel, which is a big benefit for transferring to partners.

The analysis is harder between Prestige, City Crystal, and CSR. For me, CSR will really win out, but that assumes the wife is an AU. Doesn't look like City Crystal offers the redemption bonus either.
Redemption bonus on Crystal does not matter as much because it is really not a card that one gets for its P&M ecosystem. You get it for Primary coverage, 24 or more GoGo passes, City paying you to have this card, and $100 airline discount. This would be the only card to have if they build a P&M ecosystem.
jediwho is offline  
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:22 am
  #914  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by bigbuy
You make valid points. I am in a Delta hub, so the $50 Schwab Amex Platinum fee works fine for Delta flights. Other flights I just pull out the Prestige Priority card. As for the dining points angle, I do not pay for restaurant tabs (was ripped off several times years ago) UNLESS the reader is brought to the table and there is no tip line. That usually only sometimes happens in Europe or somewhere else outside the USA so recouping the cost does not work in my favor. As always, YMMV.
I mostly travel on Delta, so $50 for Delta lounge access is very enticing. I'm assuming you subtracted the $200 AMEX travel credit from the annual fee, but where does the other $200 come from?
somebuddy is offline  
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:31 am
  #915  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 1,277
Originally Posted by jediwho
Redemption bonus on Crystal does not matter as much because it is really not a card that one gets for its P&M ecosystem. You get it for Primary coverage, 24 or more GoGo passes, City paying you to have this card, and $100 airline discount. This would be the only card to have if they build a P&M ecosystem.
Dammit, now you've got me looking into getting a Crystal. I think that's probably gonna happen in the next few months.
penner42 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.