Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion continues HERE.

This card is under 5/24. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24) pre-approval, or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days) is now live:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests.

Schumer box on 8/15/2016:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...g.do?card=FL3P

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The purchases made that you receive the $300 travel credit (or $85/$100 trusted traveler program credits) for do count towards the minimum spend, but the annual fee does not.

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air Saver to everyone after production (currently (8/26) appears to have about a 3-day delay after approval before shipping.)
Print Wikipost

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by bigbuy
+1,
I have the branch Prestige with a $350 AF which nets to a $100 AF. Also have the Schwab Amex Platinum with a $200 relationship credit which nets to a $50 AF.
No need to keep the Reserve after getting the bonus as I keep the CSP for primary usa car rental and ability to transfer the Freedom bonus points.
Prestige is apparently the winner for lounge access if you mostly travel with someone else.
Originally Posted by missamo80
Because I can get a different card for $200/yr ($450 AF - $250 airline credit) that gets me a Priority Pass with two guests or immediate family access for free. That's a savings of, at a minimum, $27 per visit over the CSR offering since I almost always have a guest with me when traveling.

Neil
I have the same, Citi Prestige at $350 a year. But I'm still planning on switching to CSR (if the "pending" doesn't change to a "deny") for these reasons:

1. Priority Pass lounges aren't great.
2. Hardly ever stay at the same hotel for four days. Even on a vacation, we'd be at a different place after three days.
3. Presumably better concierge services.
4. Better roadside assistance? Not sure about this as it's 10 miles free vs $50 free.
5. $100 AF vs $150 AF is easily surpassed by a $2,500 annual spend on dining and entertainment (2.5% earning+spending rate on the new prestige vs 4.5% earning+spending rate on the CSR).

What do you all think?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by jediwho
Useless for multiple reasons:
* because both Citi Prestige (which also offers 3x TY points for airline and hotel and 2x on dining) and City Crystal have Priority Pass that allows 2 guests
TY points (as of next summer) will be worth only 1.25c each vs 1.5c with the CSR. I find Chase's transfer partners (mostly United and Hyatt) infinitely more useful than Citi's. About the only Citi transfer I can see using is if I ever want to go to Germany, for SQ Suites. But I can also transfer my Chase points to SQ.

* Crystal's net cost if negative if you add an authorized user as they reimburse $250 per user and has an annual fee of $400
Crystal is not available for everyone. If you already have it, good for you! It's hard to get.

* Prestige offers fourth night free and 3x TY points for airline and hotel and 2x on dining
4th night free is a real benefit. The points, as I said above, are not worth as much. Caveat here: I find most of my lengthy hotel stays are on points. Once the 4th night free changes go into effect so it's the average cost and doesn't include taxes, you can get close in other ways. If I'm not using points on the stay, it's likely because it's not a chain, so in that case I don't mind not getting status/benefits/points from the hotel stay. So I can use hotels.com through TopCashBack. I get essentially 10% with the stay 10/get 1 free from hotels.com rewards, and TopCashBack is currently at 7% and has been as high as 10%. So that's 17-20% back on the pre-tax hotel cost. Almost as good as 4th night free for a 4 night stay. Possibly better than 4th night free if the stay is longer than 4 nights.

* Crystal offers $100 Visa Infinite discount for 2 to 5 domestic tickets that CSR does not

* Crystal offers 12 GoGo per user, including AU
I'd love these benefits, but again, card is hard to get. Also there's no signup bonus now, right? So you'd have a hard pull and delaying getting another Chase card if you're near 5/24.

So, if you have a Prestige and/or Infinite, one gets CSR for 100K bonus, one keeps it if they are spending a ton on dining to justify the $150 net fee.
I already have the Prestige. It will likely disappear in favor of keeping the CSR when my annual fee comes due in April. (It may not, I may keep both.)

But it's not $150 I have to justify. I need to keep at least one premium Chase card so I can transfer my points (as do most of us, I'm sure). So I only need to justify $55, the difference between an Ink/CSP and the CSR. And $55 is pretty easy.

Last edited by penner42; Aug 21, 2016 at 9:56 am
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:49 am

Went to this page regarding the CSR Priority Pass Select Membership to try and get a clearer picture.

https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel

This is what's listed under the fine print at the bottom. It doesn't mention one way or another if the guests are free or must pay.

4Complimentary Priority PassTMSelect Membership
One time activation required. There is no additional cost to activate your membership and certain terms, conditions and exclusions apply. Priority Pass Select membership includes access to airport lounges participating in the Priority Pass Select network. Participating lounges are owned and operated by independent third parties and their participation and/or facilities may change. To access a lounge, member must show his/her valid Priority Pass Select membership card. Priority Pass Select membership is subject to the Priority Pass Select Terms and Conditions. Account must be open and not in default to maintain membership. For complete Priority Pass Select Terms and Conditions and a listing of participating lounges, please visit www.prioritypass.com/select (Opens Overlay).
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:51 am

There is a big difference between 'useless' and getting a better deal with a different card. The benefit itself is not useless just because another card offers a better benefit.

Because I can get a different card for $200/yr ($450 AF - $250 airline credit) that gets me a Priority Pass with two guests or immediate family access for free. That's a savings of, at a minimum, $27 per visit over the CSR offering since I almost always have a guest with me when traveling.

Neil
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by flyte
I have the same, Citi Prestige at $350 a year. But I'm still planning on switching to CSR (if the "pending" doesn't change to a "deny") for these reasons:

2. Hardly ever stay at the same hotel for four days. Even on a vacation, we'd be at a different place after three days.
4. Better roadside assistance? Not sure about this as it's 10 miles free vs $50 free.
5. $100 AF vs $150 AF is easily surpassed by a $2,500 annual spend on dining and entertainment (2.5% earning+spending rate on the new prestige vs 4.5% earning+spending rate on the CSR).

What do you all think?
Depends on where you live? If you have City National Bank, then I would go with Prestige and Crystal.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by 466SHH
Card provides 100,000 in medical evacuation coverage and 2500 in emergency medical coverage. 50 deductible on the medical. Actually a useful addition for me. 2500 is not enough medical of course but I can layer it with a cheap travel policy and raise the deductible on it. Will be very interested to read the actual contractual provisions on these.

Not a big thing by itself, but will save me another 50-100 a year.
Interesting for folks that travel often.
From the link below:
"...Provides coverage when the covered trip has been purchased with an eligible Chase card or with rewards earned on an eligible Chase card..."

What is a bit fuzzy is common event for us. Trip is paid for via multiple points, possibly multiple credit cards, etc. Our trips are often multiple stops/segments/etc. Does the ENTIRE trip need to be connected to Chase to get this coverage?

Hmmmm

https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel

Just found this - full detailed benefits booklet. (added to WIKI) https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

Last edited by NoStressHere; Aug 21, 2016 at 9:59 am
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:01 am

What do you all think?
You make valid points. I am in a Delta hub, so the $50 Schwab Amex Platinum fee works fine for Delta flights. Other flights I just pull out the Prestige Priority card. As for the dining points angle, I do not pay for restaurant tabs (was ripped off several times years ago) UNLESS the reader is brought to the table and there is no tip line. That usually only sometimes happens in Europe or somewhere else outside the USA so recouping the cost does not work in my favor. As always, YMMV.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
This really depends on where you're flying, but in general any lounge is better than sitting in the terminal. It gets me access to Alaska Airlines Board Rooms at SeaTac and they are just fine. Also gets me into the Air France lounge in SFO, which is also fine and close to the gates I use.

5. $100 AF vs $150 AF is easily surpassed by a $2,500 annual spend on dining and entertainment
I've got the $350 AF by virtue of applying for the Prestige in-branch, so it's a $100 AF for me. I basically look at it as getting me Priority Pass with two guests for $100 a year which is a screaming deal.

CSR wouldn't give me any real long-term advantages over the Citi card.

Neil
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by penner42
TY points (as of next summer) will be worth only 1.25c each vs 1.5c with the CSR. I find Chase's transfer partners (mostly United and Hyatt) infinitely more useful than Citi's. About the only Citi transfer I can see using is if I ever want to go to Germany, for SQ Suites.

Crystal is not available for everyone. If you already have it, good for you! It's hard to get.

4th night free is a real benefit. The points, as I said above, are not worth as much. Caveat here: I find most of my lengthy hotel stays are on points. Once the 4th night free changes go into effect so it's the average cost and doesn't include taxes, you can get close in other ways. If I'm not using points on the stay, it's likely because it's not a chain, so in that case I don't mind not getting status/benefits/points from the hotel stay. So I can use hotels.com through TopCashBack. I get essentially 10% with the stay 10/get 1 free from hotels.com rewards, and TopCashBack is currently at 7% and has been as high as 10%. So that's 17-20% back on the pre-tax hotel cost. Almost as good as 4th night free for a 4 night stay. Possibly better than 4th night free if the stay is longer than 4 nights.

I'd love these benefits, but again, card is hard to get. Also there's no signup bonus now, right? So you'd have a hard pull and delaying getting another Chase card if you're near 5/24.

I already have the Prestige. It will likely disappear in favor of keeping the CSR when my annual fee comes due in April. (It may not, I may keep both.)

But it's not $150 I have to justify. I need to keep at least one premium Chase card so I can transfer my points. So I only need to justify $55, the difference between an Ink/CSP and the CSR. And $55 is pretty easy.
I am not too worried about the 1.25 cents as I transfer most of my points. Also, I will be surprised if we don't see AA being added as a transfer partner in the next six months after the recent Citi/Barclays/AA credit card deals. Right now, Citi's TY program is the only one where it does not have it's flagship carrier as a transfer partner. Even if this does not happen, they have SQ and FlyingBlue, which are good for me.

I agree on the fourth night. I also usually use points for hotels, FHR or Rocketmiles is next, followed by Amex offers, followed by ebay/hotel gift cards. All my hotel expenses goes on respective hotel cards.

When I signed up for Crystal, it did not have the bonus, but the first year was free. But here's a link from a DOC's recent piece that says they are now offering 50K sign up: https://www.rbcwm-usa.com/resources/file-862410.pdf

Of course, the sign up is meaningless since we are talking whether CSR is a card to keep in YR2....I think almost everyone would agree it is well worth getting it in YR1 with a 100K sign up bonus.

I think the combo, if one could get is Prestige and Crystal.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:22 am

I think the combo, if one could get is Prestige and Crystal.
What if one is young/single and have no AUs to add. Does the combo still beat CSR and its $150 AF?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:23 am

When I signed up for Crystal, it did not have the bonus, but the first year was free. But here's a link from a DOC's recent piece that says they are now offering 50K sign up: https://www.rbcwm-usa.com/resources/file-862410.pdf

Of course, the sign up is meaningless since we are talking whether CSR is a card to keep in YR2....I think almost everyone would agree it is well worth getting it in YR1 with a 100K sign up bonus.
But getting the Crystal is not meaningless as it effectively prevents you from getting another signup bonus, at least with Chase, thanks to 5/24. So it's good that it has at least something.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
There's not a live application link yet, is there? I haven't seen one on the official website...just want to make sure I am not missing anything.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:29 am

This really depends on where you're flying, but in general any lounge is better than sitting in the terminal. It gets me access to Alaska Airlines Board Rooms at SeaTac and they are just fine. Also gets me into the Air France lounge in SFO, which is also fine and close to the gates I use.

I've got the $350 AF by virtue of applying for the Prestige in-branch, so it's a $100 AF for me. I basically look at it as getting me Priority Pass with two guests for $100 a year which is a screaming deal.

CSR wouldn't give me any real long-term advantages over the Citi card.

Neil
Could not agree more. There just isn't any defining benefit this card brings to the table for me either to keep it.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
If you're spending several thousand each year in travel, you're probably in a position where the difference between the $95 AF of the CSP and the net $150 AF of the CSR is not that significant in the scheme of things.

Unless you want to spend a whole lot of time trying to analyze how to squeeze every last cent of value.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:32 am

What if one is young/single and have no AUs to add. Does the combo still beat CSR and its $150 AF?
Depends on how much you value 12 GoGo passes, AF waived in year one, and $100 discount on 2 to 5 airline tickets (domestic only).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.