Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 12, 16, 9:32 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
Discussion continues HERE.

This card is under 5/24. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24) pre-approval, or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days) is now live:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests.

Schumer box on 8/15/2016:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...g.do?card=FL3P

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The purchases made that you receive the $300 travel credit (or $85/$100 trusted traveler program credits) for do count towards the minimum spend, but the annual fee does not.

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air Saver to everyone after production (currently (8/26) appears to have about a 3-day delay after approval before shipping.)
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 19, 16, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Does the AF waiver CL trick work with the MP club card? Am thinking to get both that and CSR but dont want to pay AF on club card
Old Aug 19, 16, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jags86 View Post
$4583 came from doing my math wrong. The real number is $2750. If you pay $2750 on a combination of travel and dining a year on your CSP it's worth getting CSR and dumping th CSP.

Let's take the numbers:
You need to make up $55 dollars in annual fees after accounting for the $300 credit.

If you spend $2750 on your CSP you will earn 5500 points with a min value of $0.0125 each netting you $68.75 of value.

Spending the same $2750 on your CSR will now earn you 8250 points at a minimum redemption value of $0.015 each earning you $123.75 of value--exactly $55 more than the CSP. Everything after that is gravy.

This cards perks will not last long IMO.

Anybody who has the CSP (and is getting value net the annual fee) should get the CSR.
I thought that to justify keeping at least the CSP you're going to need to spend enough in the bonus categories to at least get the AF back. On that basis, you're going to need to spend at least $3800 a year on travel and dining (3800 * 2 = 7600 * 0.0125 = $95). With the additional 0.25% and 1x of the CSR, that results in 3800 * 3 = 11,400 * 0.015 = $171, or $21 more than the AF.

Also, if you have the Freedom you'll probably get 5x back on dining for three months out of the year. Assuming your bonus spend is all on dining and distributed evenly throughout the year, that's $3800 / 4 = $950 less that goes on the CSP/CSR. On the other hand, you'll get 950 * 5 = 4750 * .015 = $71.25 in value from those points vs. $42.75 if that spend went on the CSP/CSR, for a grand total of $199.50 across both cards.
Old Aug 20, 16, 8:49 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Originally Posted by Madone59 View Post
I asked Citi about fee reduction and was told "No." Does the trick of lowing CL to $1,500 or so to avoid AF work with Citi?
No idea. I don't like playing those games - getting banned by Citi would cost me much more in the long run.

It does seem logical that if a competitor comes out with a product specifically targeting your product, you work a little harder to keep people from defecting. Of course banks don't always seem to act logically.
Old Aug 20, 16, 9:01 am

From another forum

"Was at my branch and asked my banker about the Reserve and she told me that it is indeed coming tomorrow. She also said she wished she had a dummy unit to show me as it is the same solid metal construction as the Ritz, I know bankers can be wrong or misinformed, but she has never given me goofy info before. Exciting!"
Old Aug 20, 16, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
I thought that to justify keeping at least the CSP you're going to need to spend enough in the bonus categories to at least get the AF back. On that basis, you're going to need to spend at least $3800 a year on travel and dining (3800 * 2 = 7600 * 0.0125 = $95). With the additional 0.25% and 1x of the CSR, that results in 3800 * 3 = 11,400 * 0.015 = $171, or $21 more than the AF.

Also, if you have the Freedom you'll probably get 5x back on dining for three months out of the year. Assuming your bonus spend is all on dining and distributed evenly throughout the year, that's $3800 / 4 = $950 less that goes on the CSP/CSR. On the other hand, you'll get 950 * 5 = 4750 * .015 = $71.25 in value from those points vs. $42.75 if that spend went on the CSP/CSR, for a grand total of $199.50 across both cards.
There are many reasons to keep the CSP besides just netting out AF. That said, I'm simply arguing the break even between the CSP and the CSR. As long as you are netting $55 more in rewards from the CSR it makes sense to have the CSR over the CSP. Whether it makes sense to have either is another story.
Old Aug 20, 16, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geekyjeff View Post
Kept re-reading that line above about the "expensive AA Citi card w/ lounge access" going away. Only one I know of is the AAdvantage Executive card that I just picked up specifically for that perk Unless you're referring to an older product no longer offered?
That person was not saying the expensive card itself was going away, they were saying the ability to apply for it (anytime soon) was going away. They are referring this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...24-months.html
But that person get it wrong. If you're wiling to give up the signup bonus, you can get that expensive card (Citi AA Executive). It's only the ability to get the bonus that's severely reduced, not the ability the card itself.

That's the big difference between Citi/Amex and Chase. If you churn "too much", Citi and Amex simply deny you the bonus, but Chase denies you the card itself.

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 20, 16 at 11:23 am
Old Aug 20, 16, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by tev9999 View Post
No idea. I don't like playing those games - getting banned by Citi would cost me much more in the long run.

It does seem logical that if a competitor comes out with a product specifically targeting your product, you work a little harder to keep people from defecting. Of course banks don't always seem to act logically.

The answer is no

If I understand the trick correctly which I don't endorse
Reason being, Citibank has a floor limit of 5k to maintain a premium account open........
Old Aug 20, 16, 12:40 pm

I'm curious to see if tolls, which earn 2x points as "travel" on CSP, trigger the CSR $300 automatic travel credit.

Right now, I'm not sure I'll have more cash travel expenses for the rest of cy 2016, so I don't think I can easily monetize that benefit. If tolls count, then I can get there with no problem.
Old Aug 20, 16, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by rgAAFT View Post
Does the AF waiver CL trick work with the MP club card? Am thinking to get both that and CSR but dont want to pay AF on club card
No. That's mentioned a few times either in here or the Club card thread. Only works for Ritz.
Old Aug 20, 16, 2:56 pm

I added the Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement to the wiki:
Old Aug 20, 16, 3:06 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NYCRuss View Post
I added the Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement to the wiki:
There's also an incomplete "Travel Benefits" page here:

https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel
Old Aug 20, 16, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA, WN, B6 & UA (Not my fault I live near a fortress hub.)
Originally Posted by NYCRuss View Post
"How you could be prohibited from earning or
using points
• We may temporarily prohibit you from earning points or using
points you’ve already earned:
› if you don’t make the minimum payment on your account
within 30 days of the due date.
› if we suspect that you’ve engaged in fraudulent activity
related to your account or the program.
if we suspect that you’ve misused the program in any way,
for example:
· by buying or selling points
· by moving or transferring points to an ineligible
third party or account
· by repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit
card accounts for the purpose of generating rewards

• You can begin earning and using points again in the next billing
cycle after your account becomes current or when we no longer
suspect fraud or misuse of the account or program"

So they can closed UR accounts for churning?
Old Aug 20, 16, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by nomorecoach View Post
Anyone have experience with this kind of thing?
Also curious if anyone has experience with this.

Assume the best route if you are CPC is to apply through the regular website with everyone else and they will know you are CPC and therefore not apply 5/24? Or would you have to call your banker and ask for reconsideration?
Old Aug 20, 16, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer View Post

So they can closed UR accounts for churning?
Well, yes, but similar language has been around for awhile and they have declined to enforce it. I think most Chase adverse action comes from extreme MS on Ink cards or point transfers to ineligible persons.

But you never know when a company might start- see the s***show happening now with the Amex Platinum 100K offer.
Old Aug 20, 16, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier, BA, AA, HHonors Gold
So, is anyone expecting the Reserve card to go live in a few hours, maybe at midnight New York time?

Search this Thread