FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1780623-new-chase-sapphire-reserve-card-pre-release-speculation.html)

Dieuwer Aug 19, 2016 12:45 pm

From Chase's point of view, a card with a $450 AF and $300 credit is better for their bottom line than a straight $150 AF card?

DeltaFlyer IntrepidClass Aug 19, 2016 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer (Post 27089606)
From Chase's point of view, a card with a $450 AF and $300 credit is better for their bottom line than a straight $150 AF card?

Not everyone will use or remember to use the $300 credit. Kinda like how you have to annoyingly activate the 5x categories for the Freedom, hoping you'll forget, when they could enroll you automatically.

Statman Aug 19, 2016 12:48 pm

Obviously because you are going to have people who won't (or forget to) take advantage of the $300 travel credit.

United747 Aug 19, 2016 12:48 pm

Yes, because not everyone will use the $300 credit.

MD/DC Flyer Aug 19, 2016 12:50 pm

Of course - you actually have to use the card to get it back, which is a free loan (as short term at it be) of $300 to the bank, plus the commission fee they'll get from using the card, plus the behavioral inducing strategy of having you using the card.

On other cards it is also the difficulty of using the benefit (although it should be very easy on this one). Again, most of the world does not live on this board and does not make calculation on how to maximize the benefits.

Dieuwer Aug 19, 2016 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer (Post 27089633)
Again, most of the world does not live on this board and does not make calculation on how to maximize the benefits.

Which keeps surprising me. How can you just apply for a card and not know the terms? And not be mindful of the $300 credit?

Statman Aug 19, 2016 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer (Post 27089718)
Which keeps surprising me. How can you just apply for a card and not know the terms? And not be mindful of the $300 credit?

Never underestimate people's laziness.

STS-134 Aug 19, 2016 1:11 pm

They're counting on everyone not actually using the credit and being able to take the extra money as pure profit. It's like how manufacturers require you to actually send in for a rebate after buying a product as opposed to just giving an instant rebate at the point of sale; some people inevitably forget to do it.

MNSWEEps Aug 19, 2016 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by United747 (Post 27089422)
I'm going to downgrade mine. I'll probably have to transfer credit too. Here's my sequence:
  1. App for CSR
  2. Assuming it goes pending, call customer service to downgrade CSP and transfer over some credit
  3. Spend away on CSR

Thats my strategy too :-) cos I want to avoid the AF for my CSP next year.

Madone59 Aug 19, 2016 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer (Post 27089718)

Originally Posted by Statman (Post 27089745)
Never underestimate people's laziness.

or never underestimate how much FT does not represent the masses. I know several people w/ AMEX Plat's who have NO IDEA about the perks!

jags86 Aug 19, 2016 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer (Post 27089416)
I have no problem with that explanation which is based on facts and assumptions that one can consider. But again it is only "pretty clear" based on your assumptions of spend. Nothing wrong with that of course, and it will work for a lot of people, under the same assumption - but it is far from universal truth.

I have a problem when someone has an "opinion" that is not based on any supporting facts or any assumptions.

Nothing is "better" or "worse" without knowing the comparison and what was the matrix used to make that determination.

Of course--Everyone must do their own calculations for their own particular needs and spend.

If the CSP is your current main card and you put all of your travel restaurant spend on it, you only need to spend a total of $4583/yr on travel and restaurants for it to break even. I would guess most people on this board are spending $4500/yr on travel and restaurants but I could be wrong.

I hypothesize anyone who finds it worthwhile to pay the $95 annual fee for the CSP will make out better paying $450 for the CSR.

Dieuwer Aug 19, 2016 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by jags86 (Post 27089898)
If the CSP is your current main card and you put all of your travel restaurant spend on it, you only need to spend a total of $4583/yr on travel and restaurants for it to break even. I would guess most people on this board are spending $4500/yr on travel and restaurants but I could be wrong.

I hypothesize anyone who finds it worthwhile to pay the $95 annual fee for the CSP will make out better paying $450 for the CSR.

Where does the $4583 come from?
Last year I spend $17,956.12 with my CSP...

jediwho Aug 19, 2016 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by rgAAFT (Post 27089268)
Just what I said, it's not that complicated......
But I guess different people have varying degrees of moral thresholds, and will see different value proposition for the same product................

Moral threshold? Not sure what you mean by that. Can you tell us whether you are implying that someone who cancels the card in YR 2 has a lower moral threshold? Just trying to understand what you mean by degree of moral thresholds in this context.

UpAt40k Aug 19, 2016 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by jags86 (Post 27089368)
That $55 premium turns your 1.5x FU from a 1.875% cash back card into a 2.25% cash back card via its 50% bonus. If you have $15000/yr of unbonused spend and occasionally use cash for points with UR (which at 1.5 cpp is a serious option now) then it pays to have the CSR over the others.

Please excuse by naivety, but I don't understand how having the CSR changes the value prop of having the Freedom Unlimited. I understand that you need a premium card in order to transfer the points from the freedom cards to an airline, but if you already had the CSP, how does adding the CSR into the mix affect this? Not questioning you, just genuinely curious!

WheelsFirst Aug 19, 2016 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by UpAt40k (Post 27089927)
Please excuse by naivety, but I don't understand how having the CSR changes the value prop of having the Freedom Unlimited. I understand that you need a premium card in order to transfer the points from the freedom cards to an airline, but if you already had the CSP, how does adding the CSR into the mix affect this? Not questioning you, just genuinely curious!

URs will be worth 1.5 cents each when redeeming for flights via Chase's travel portal versus 1.25 currently, therefore the value of all URs goes up (assuming you use that as a redemption method).