Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion continues HERE.

This card is under 5/24. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24) pre-approval, or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days) is now live:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests.

Schumer box on 8/15/2016:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...g.do?card=FL3P

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The purchases made that you receive the $300 travel credit (or $85/$100 trusted traveler program credits) for do count towards the minimum spend, but the annual fee does not.

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air Saver to everyone after production (currently (8/26) appears to have about a 3-day delay after approval before shipping.)
Print Wikipost

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by zs58
I've booked dozens of flights through the UR portal and they've always accrued elite qualifying miles, on AS and UA.

As far as the value per mile, this can be endlessly debated but my point of view is that you only derive value when you use miles instead of cash that you would have paid otherwise. Said another way, I would never buy a $7,000 international business fare with cash, so even if I use miles for that, it is disingenuous for me to calculate the value of those miles using $7000 as the numerator.
Do bulk fares earn PQM? Yes. PQD? No. There's a very, very long thread on the UA forum about this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...elsewhere.html

As far as calculations go, I do agree that I would never have paid $11k cash for the F seat I occupied on my flight. But even if you look at the maximum I would have paid in cash for it, it would be above 3 cents per mile. Then there IS some value to being in a premium cabin that everyone quantifies differently. In any case, I value each point much more when transferred to a FFP than being redeemed for cash or to pay for airfares directly.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
For how long will the bonus of 100,000 UR be around?
Dear Magic Crystal Ball....How long will the bonus be around?

Seriously...I would have expected this question from a newbie but you should know that no one knows the answer to that for as long as you have been posting on FT.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by wco81
How many people are using UR points to buy flights and hotels in the UR portal?
I do it all the time since I feel I get more value from redeeming for cheap flights and hotels (especially non-chain hotels). I have a family of 4 so redeeming miles for things like premium cabins is not something I would do. I'd rather use my points to spend a week on a beach somewhere with the family than joy ride on business or first class for 10 or 12 hours. As long as I am getting at least 1 cent per point I don't hesitate to redeem in any way. I've even redeemed AA miles for hotels since I sometimes get a value of up to 1.2 cents/mile because of my Gold status. At the end of the day it's all the same, it's money that never leaves your bank account.

Last edited by eknock007; Aug 18, 2016 at 12:30 pm
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by christianj
Dear Magic Crystal Ball....How long will the bonus be around?

Seriously...I would have expected this question from a newbie but you should know that no one knows the answer to that for as long as you have been posting on FT.
Well, I guess we'll see what the offer terms say. Thinking of apply for it March next year.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
How many people are using UR points to buy flights and hotels in the UR portal?
I'll admit to sometimes using it (in addition to many transfers to airline/hotel partners) to book random rental cars and activities that match Viator at destinations where the cash price on UR compares favorably to elsewhere. Even though it isn't a great value at 1.25 cents, sometimes just want to save my cash anyway when the supply of UR points I generate per month is like unlimited, so booking through UR is still at least a 50% discount in terms of my out of pocket costs. 1.5 cents will probably cause me to use the portal even more only when not having other award redemptions in mind through transfers.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:31 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Well, I guess we'll see what the offer terms say. Thinking of apply for it March next year.
It's likely the offer terms will not indicate when the offer will expire... BUT past experience suggests that bloggers with affiliate relationships often get tipped off when a bonus is expiring soon (i.e. TPG's post today about the Citi AA Exec Card), so we may all get advance notice when the time comes.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I doubt that I will be able to resist applying if 5/24 is waived next week, but I'm thinking waiting might be my best bet. 100K points is SOOOOOOO tempting, but I don't really need them right now.

The timing is good for me as my Prestige annual fee comes due next month. I'm hoping this puts pressure on Citi to offer good retention bonuses. Even with the changes to the Prestige, I would still have AA lounge benefits for another 11 months and maybe I'll get around to using that golf benefit one of these days before it is gone. I do spend quite a bit at restaurants so 3X is nice, but I also just got the US Bank FlexPerks Amex that gives 3X at restaurants and they can be worth up to 2% when redeemed for airfare, even though it is a bit of a pain to deal with the $200 increment thing. I also have two Blue Cash Preferred cards with most of my 6% grocery allowance unspent for the year. I was about to shift to Vanilla Visas bought with those which net 5.2% cash for all my non bonus spending to use it up. I would have to resort to MS to get an extra $4K of CSR spending in this year.

My crystal ball plan is:
1. Resist temptation
2. Push for fee reduction or retention offer and keep Prestige another year
3. Put all restaurant spend on FlexPerks until I hit 50K points (30K was from bonus) then move restaurant back to CSP.
4. Use up grocery spend on VGCs with Amex BCP
5. Resist all temptation for new cards and get back below 5/24 by Oct 2017.
6. Front load BCP grocery spend to beginning of 2017 since I won't be churning.
7. Cancel Ink Plus when fee hits but keep CSP for the year.
8. Pray Chase does an Amex and targets 100K bonuses for upgrading CSP to CSR - like Hilton to Surpass - without a hard pull (yeah, I'm dreaming).
9. Hope 100K offer is still around next October. If so, cancel or downgrade Prestige after getting CSR. Downgrade CSP to a Freedom of some type.

This plan pretty much guarantees I get 5%+ on ever dime I spend so I don't think I lose anything from the CSR, except for the bonus of course.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
My #1 Rule is never pass up a 100K offer.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
I am only hoping that Chase has some backup servers ready to to online on Sunday in case the server crashes because of the mad rush to apply as soon as link goes live. We will be on that application link faster than Tony Montana on pile of cocaine.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:34 pm

Suggestion please : I haven't applied CSP yet , I do see pre-qualified for CSP and Slate.
But last couple of months applied Premier (closed after bonus posted) then opened Plus , now today earned CP.
Now shall i apply CSP or CSP Reserve , which will be the right option ?
I see only 2 cards for 5/24 rule, I applied (DCU on last year but nowhere that card showing) so still am I good for another 3 cards.... like CSP , CSR and one of AMex card ?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:37 pm

im ....ing checking my online account and this thread every 30 min while at work lol
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: Marriott - Titanium, AA - Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mia
It could be that Chase is holding back additional benefits in order to release waves of enhancements throughout the first year, but I cannot think of a precedent for that approach.
Yes there is: CSP ADDED Primary Rental Car Coverage.^
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by bodiddely
Sounds right to me, but I do wonder why AmEx doesn't offer any category bonuses on the Plat. The CSR is going to get a lot of my spend, and while I'll likely keep my Plat for the travel benefits, the only spend it ever gets is on AmEx offers. Maybe I'm an atypical Plat holder but I'd have to guess there are a lot of FTers who fit that mold as well. But maybe there are plenty of Plat holders who put a lot of spend on their card regardless of the 1x earning.
I see people using them all the time. And I am acquainted with a very wealthy family that puts virtually all their spend on their Platinum, at least $1M per year. For that matter I don't even know what they do with their MR points. To my knowledge they've never booked a reward flight.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:26 pm

MY CSP is only 3 months old...Plus I have their IHG card which I opened last year. I wonder if they would approve me a 3rd Chase card?

I do have AMEX Platinum and have Priority Pass + Global entry benefits but the 100,000 points is tempting.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tev9999
2. Push for fee reduction or retention offer and keep Prestige another year
I asked Citi about fee reduction and was told "No." Does the trick of lowing CL to $1,500 or so to avoid AF work with Citi?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.