Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion continues HERE.

This card is under 5/24. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24) pre-approval, or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days) is now live:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests.

Schumer box on 8/15/2016:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...g.do?card=FL3P

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The purchases made that you receive the $300 travel credit (or $85/$100 trusted traveler program credits) for do count towards the minimum spend, but the annual fee does not.

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air Saver to everyone after production (currently (8/26) appears to have about a 3-day delay after approval before shipping.)
Print Wikipost

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by rgAAFT
If you just paid the fee , then you have something like 90 or 120 days to downgrade your card from CSP to FU and still get AF refund
I'd try for the CSR first, and if approved downgrade other card accordingly
Thanks, good to know.

But what would be the downside of just canceling the CSP altogether?

I have the regular Freedom, which I only use for the 5X categories. I don't see using the FU much if at all. I have Citi Double Cash to get effectively 2 points per dollar spent.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by wco81
Thanks, good to know.

But what would be the downside of just canceling the CSP altogether?

I have the regular Freedom, which I only use for the 5X categories. I don't see using the FU much if at all. I have Citi Double Cash to get effectively 2 points per dollar spent.
Double Cash is 2% cash. FU would be 2.25% minimum if you have CSR and can redeem for travel at 1.5 cents/point.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:12 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Any reason to suggest that Amex might match 100k offer for a limited time to match Chase? I plan to get CSR regardless, but just jn case Chase does stupidly decide to enforce 5/24 then we would still be guaranteed 100k even with a potential CSR upgrade.......?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I've never thought about doing this. When you voluntarily lower CL on a card, you're suggesting that you keep that CL "bank"?
See the section entitled I already have several Chase cards with a substantial aggregate line of credit. Will it improve my odds if I close an existing account (or lower its credit line) before applying for another? in the wiki for Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015-Present
Old Aug 18, 2016, 6:53 am

Delete

Last edited by Trinob; Aug 18, 2016 at 6:56 am Reason: Delete
Old Aug 18, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Any reason to suggest that Amex might match 100k offer for a limited time to match Chase? I plan to get CSR regardless, but just jn case Chase does stupidly decide to enforce 5/24 then we would still be guaranteed 100k even with a potential CSR upgrade.......?
My wife and I have both gotten Email offers from Amex this week with only 50k sign up and 4k spend on the Platinum card? This was after mail offers last week for same.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by nall
So if you don't care about the Priority Pass (especially since it has no guests), and consider it net of travel credit, this is basically just a CSP with a ~50% higher annual fee and ~50% higher earn on dining/travel, right?
It also has travel redemptions on the UR portal at 1.5 cents per UR point, vs. 1.2 (or 1.25, whatever it is) on the CSP.
For example, this negates the need to transfer points to WN, as you get a better deal on the UR portal with the CSR - WN points can be redeemed at 1.43 or something like that with WN itself, with the CSR you get 1.5 and also get points from flying.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, MileagePlus Silver, Executive National
Newbie question but I currently have CSP with 70k UR points, if I open a CSR will all my points go into that same UR account and I would be able to downgrade the CSP without losing any of those existing UR points?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by homanga
Newbie question but I currently have CSP with 70k UR points, if I open a CSR will all my points go into that same UR account and I would be able to downgrade the CSP without losing any of those existing UR points?
Not automatically, but it only will take you 30 seconds or so to move the points yourself.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Any reason to suggest that Amex might match 100k offer for a limited time to match Chase? ...
Seems improbable. Unless there are additional benefits that we haven't seen this card doesn't represent much threat to American Express Platinum after the 100,000 point offer runs its course. If I were the Platinum Card product manager I would let my counterpart at Chase expend her promotional budget.

It could be that Chase is holding back additional benefits in order to release waves of enhancements throughout the first year, but I cannot think of a precedent for that approach.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by mia
Seems improbable. Unless there are additional benefits that we haven't seen this card doesn't represent much threat to American Express Platinum after the 100,000 point offer runs its course. If I were the Platinum Card product manager I would let my counterpart at Chase expend her promotional budget.

It could be that Chase is holding back additional benefits in order to release waves of enhancements throughout the first year, but I cannot think of a precedent for that approach.
Sounds right to me, but I do wonder why AmEx doesn't offer any category bonuses on the Plat. The CSR is going to get a lot of my spend, and while I'll likely keep my Plat for the travel benefits, the only spend it ever gets is on AmEx offers. Maybe I'm an atypical Plat holder but I'd have to guess there are a lot of FTers who fit that mold as well. But maybe there are plenty of Plat holders who put a lot of spend on their card regardless of the 1x earning.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by mia

When just looking at the offerings on paper, sure. But when you take into consideration that UR is a better program with better options and you have a higher earn rate on some transactions than the Plat on all transactions it's not even close.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bodiddely
Sounds right to me, but I do wonder why AmEx doesn't offer any category bonuses on the Plat. The CSR is going to get a lot of my spend, and while I'll likely keep my Plat for the travel benefits, the only spend it ever gets is on AmEx offers. Maybe I'm an atypical Plat holder but I'd have to guess there are a lot of FTers who fit that mold as well. But maybe there are plenty of Plat holders who put a lot of spend on their card regardless of the 1x earning.
I put almost zero spend on my Plat, except for Amex Sync offers. There's just no reason to do so. That said, I'm keeping my Plat, even after getting a CSR, because of the Centurion lounge access
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bradpetrik
When just looking at the offerings on paper, sure. But when you take into consideration that UR is a better program with better options and you have a higher earn rate on some transactions than the Plat on all transactions it's not even close.
I would agree with this. The CSR to me is a Citi Prestige competitor - AMEX Plat doesn't really compete in this league any more (in fairness I'm probably one of the few FTers who has never had an AMEX Plat - I see no need for one unless I get a 100k targeted offer and I don't live in a city with a Centurion lounge so there is no benefit there for me).

Citi Prestige (with Citi Premier thrown in for 3x gas and any travel that needs to be booked through OTAs) + CSP (replaced by CSR) + AMEX PRG is the winning combo for my spending habits.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
I would agree with this. The CSR to me is a Citi Prestige competitor - AMEX Plat doesn't really compete in this league any more (in fairness I'm probably one of the few FTers who has never had an AMEX Plat - I see no need for one unless I get a 100k targeted offer and I don't live in a city with a Centurion lounge so there is no benefit there for me).

Citi Prestige (with Citi Premier thrown in for 3x gas and any travel that needs to be booked through OTAs) + CSP (replaced by CSR) + AMEX PRG is the winning combo for my spending habits.
I don't have one and see no need to get one as I'm in the same scenario as you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.