Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion continues HERE.

This card is under 5/24. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24) pre-approval, or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days) is now live:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests.

Schumer box on 8/15/2016:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...g.do?card=FL3P

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The purchases made that you receive the $300 travel credit (or $85/$100 trusted traveler program credits) for do count towards the minimum spend, but the annual fee does not.

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air Saver to everyone after production (currently (8/26) appears to have about a 3-day delay after approval before shipping.)
Print Wikipost

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by smurov
But on the flip-side, I'm ok with less people having and taking advantage of cards like the CSR, Prestige, etc...hopefully that keeps the benefits around longer for us who do have them, as the cards are for the most part not sustainable long-term for the banks - at least not without reducing/cutting benefits.
Thats it. Already getting an award ticket is battle.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:11 am

I have my first chase sapphire preferred statement on 8/22 where am expecting the 50k bonus. Think theres risk if I apply for the Chase reserve card before then and get asked to convert the recently added sapphire preffered, losing that bonus, or better to wait for the statement to close and transfer all points in it first then apply for reserve?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:12 am

It's funny, I've had very similar experiences myself. People really have a hard time getting past the $450. I think that the average person doesn't really want to take the time and learn about how to do the basics, which would more than pay for the annual fee - they just see step 1, which is to pay the $450. Even when my friends see the kinds of trips we take for "free", they don't want to make the small investment of time...
Had the same issue. I offered the person the $450 for the prestige and said, the first year's on me if you don't like it. She never took the $450 obviously and she takes a week every 3 weeks to travel for work for the last 4 months and looks to be this way for the remainder of the year and is allowed to book on her CC for work, 4 nights every three weeks.

After about the third $220 hotel statement credit through the prestige as well as the $250 flight refund, and lounging in the AA club on long layovers with TSA-pre, she has a new outlook on the Prestige. MS'ing is still foreign concept though .
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
MS'ing is still foreign concept though .
I think MS'ing is a foreign concept and/or only for "crazy people" for most here on FT. Same with mileage runs.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Interesting speculation here on whether the 5/24 rule will apply. My own completely uninformed () speculation is that a key factor might be the 3X points for travel. That seems to be a direct response to the Citi ThankYou and Citi Prestige cards and an effort to lure some folks away from those cards and to use the new Chase card in an ongoing way - and not stop at the initial spend to get the initial bonus. And if that's the case, the logic of the 5/24 restriction might not apply here, since many folks forking over $450 might well make ongoing use of the new Chase card.

Now, perhaps I'm projecting too much, in that if I could get the new Chase card with these benefits I'd switch substantial spending away from those Citi cards (both of which I have right now) and drop the Prestige card. But I guess we'll find out.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by christianj
IMHO there will probably be some that can slide in under the rule but the policy is in place for a reason...to put an end to applications for just the sign-up bonus. I can already see all the complaining and moaning that is going to happen in the next week due to applications submitted before the actual feed went live being denied or closed and then the complaining will continue IF they apply the 5/24 rule.
Agreed. With 100,000 point bonus, Chase is loosing substantial amount of money the first year, which they hope to make up later. The 5/24 rule is designed to filter out those who are likely to cancel after the first year. It is unlikely Chase will make many exceptions.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by daKav
Thats it. Already getting an award ticket is battle.
Agreed - and I know everyone is going to hate on me for this but with the 5/24 concerns that everyone is up in arms about...well Chase is a business and they are out there to make money. I think that they definitely learned something (hopefully) from Citi's issues with the Prestige. Giving out a big sign up bonus and easy ways to get the annual fee reduced (airfare credits), to people who will turn around and cancel just to reopen again...well it's bad business for them.

I think a lot of people get so angry about 5/24 and lose sight of the bigger picture, but the more these cards are taken advantage of, especially when they are difficult to sustain for the banks as it is, then the sooner and more likely the benefits will be reduced/cut - and we saw this or some form of this with the Prestige. People get bent out of shape about 5/24, but if they stopped just for a second and looked at it from a bank's point of view, it would make sense why they do it. Abusing sign up bonus offers in general hurts this hobby...look at American Express and their once per lifetime rule, there's a reason that is there.

*steps down from soap box*
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:48 am
Suspended

I'll do this card for myself, then for my wife (assuming the bonus is still in tact in 2-3 months). I can't argue with 208,000+ points transferred to my United account
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Bretyost
Chase is a publicly traded company that exists to make profit (or pretend that they're making profit to impress shareholders). This is a niche card at best, from the start, and launching a new product to totally ho-hum numbers might worry some stockholders. I can see there being a grace period at the start, so that those in the know can get the card and boost those preliminary numbers. Realistically, how many people that are willing to pay $450 for a credit card don't already have a Plat, Prestige, etc? Maybe I'm rationalizing to make myself feel better about my chances.
This would IMHO give Chase even more reasons to implement the 5/24 rule on this card. You don't want to release a card and hand out 100k UR points to people who have applied for too many cards in the last 2 years just to get the points beenies...thus NOT making a profit on those that would get the card. It's fuzzy math...don't apply the 5/24 to boost numbers but those individuals end up costing them money due to the sign-up bonus. IMHO the 5/24 was implemented to put controls in place to avoid being unprofitable on churners getting the card and other Chase cards.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed - and I know everyone is going to hate on me for this but with the 5/24 concerns that everyone is up in arms about...well Chase is a business and they are out there to make money. I think that they definitely learned something (hopefully) from Citi's issues with the Prestige. Giving out a big sign up bonus and easy ways to get the annual fee reduced (airfare credits), to people who will turn around and cancel just to reopen again...well it's bad business for them.

I think a lot of people get so angry about 5/24 and lose sight of the bigger picture, but the more these cards are taken advantage of, especially when they are difficult to sustain for the banks as it is, then the sooner and more likely the benefits will be reduced/cut - and we saw this or some form of this with the Prestige. People get bent out of shape about 5/24, but if they stopped just for a second and looked at it from a bank's point of view, it would make sense why they do it. Abusing sign up bonus offers in general hurts this hobby...look at American Express and their once per lifetime rule, there's a reason that is there.

*steps down from soap box*
On the comparison to Prestige, and this works for Amex Platinum somewhat also: I'm finding that a lot of people are keeping these cards for the benefits. Sure, the annual fee is lessened by the direct perks, but now that they can't really be churned easily, they're still worth keeping for those who spend and travel.

On the CSR, I'd intend to keep it and, maybe, make it my main spend card. Sure, I've churned a ton in the past, but now that those days seem to be ending, I need a regular old card that just plain works for me, and this sure seems like it's the one.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by christianj
This would IMHO give Chase even more reasons to implement the 5/24 rule on this card. You don't want to release a card and hand out 100k UR points to people who have applied for too many cards in the last 2 years just to get the points beenies...thus NOT making a profit on those that would get the card. It's fuzzy math...don't apply the 5/24 to boost numbers but those individuals end up costing them money due to the sign-up bonus. IMHO the 5/24 was implemented to put controls in place to avoid being unprofitable on churners getting the card and other Chase cards.
Instead of 5/24, they could simply strictly enforce the rule that you can't get sign up bonuses on cards in the same rewards program as a card you presently or previously had. In this case, they'd be betting that the benefits are so good, people aren't going to churn it. It never really makes sense for me to lose out on 3 UR points/$ for years in order to hope for a big sign up bonus that may or may not ever come.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:01 am

It's funny, I've had very similar experiences myself. People really have a hard time getting past the $450. I think that the average person doesn't really want to take the time and learn about how to do the basics, which would more than pay for the annual fee - they just see step 1, which is to pay the $450. Even when my friends see the kinds of trips we take for "free", they don't want to make the small investment of time..
When people ask me how I travel so much doing these extravagant flights and hotels, I'm usually pretty honest and say credit card points/miles. I typically recommend the Sapphire Preferred since it's a great beginners card and tell them its a $95 annual fee but free the first year. 95% of people scoff and say that's too much..

Fine with that while I sit in first on a 16 hour flight drinking my Dom P eating my caviar..

Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
On the comparison to Prestige, and this works for Amex Platinum somewhat also: I'm finding that a lot of people are keeping these cards for the benefits. Sure, the annual fee is lessened by the direct perks, but now that they can't really be churned easily, they're still worth keeping for those who spend and travel.

On the CSR, I'd intend to keep it and, maybe, make it my main spend card. Sure, I've churned a ton in the past, but now that those days seem to be ending, I need a regular old card that just plain works for me, and this sure seems like it's the one.
Yes, there is definitely merit in keeping the Prestige. With the $450 fee, you still get a $250 airfare credit, and if you use the 4th night free benefit even 1 time, you'd most likely break even. So I might keep the card still, but I'll be using the CSR as my main card for sure.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by bradpetrik
Did you request expedited yesterday?
yep i did.

the CSR said they received an email this morning telling them that the cards wont be shipped out until 8/21
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by saliym1988
yep i did.

the CSR said they received an email this morning telling them that the cards wont be shipped out until 8/21
Called it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.