Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion continues HERE.

This card is under 5/24. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24) pre-approval, or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days) is now live:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests.

Schumer box on 8/15/2016:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...g.do?card=FL3P

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The purchases made that you receive the $300 travel credit (or $85/$100 trusted traveler program credits) for do count towards the minimum spend, but the annual fee does not.

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air Saver to everyone after production (currently (8/26) appears to have about a 3-day delay after approval before shipping.)
Print Wikipost

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
Perhaps someone else in your household could get approval who is not impeded by the 5/24 rule? Ultimate Rewards used to allow a transfer of UR points to a member of the household/family member. (Not sure if this is still the case, but it's an option for someone like you who has to wait for some inquiries to roll off.)

Originally Posted by rbw5t
Wow -- this sounds like a no-brainer for me. Too bad I'm way over 5/24. I'll just have to hope the limit doesn't apply, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll be under by next Spring, but the 100k bonus will probably be gone by then.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LoneTree
Not to mention these contactless cards don't transmit your credit card number. It's a complex set of random calculations that you can't simply clone by scanning the chip.
They absolutely DO transmit the card number. Try this app if you have an Android phone:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vnfccard&hl=en

I was able to see my Costco Visa's card number and expiration date on my phone.

The only thing missing is the CVV number. But if an online merchant does not verify this number, you can easily buy stuff with the info gathered wirelessly. And even if merchants do verify it, I don't want my CC number being transmitted to everyone within range.

Anyway hopefully this issue will NOT affect the CSR card, since that card will likely be metal. I'm still waiting to see whether this card includes as many deals as the Amex Plat (like spend $x at a specific merchant, get $y back). None of the travel blogs seem to mention this but it's a huge deal with the Plat card if you use it properly. I've never seen anything like this on Chase cards, only bonus points for the Ultimate Rewards store and only for online transactions. A sampling of Amex Plat offers active right now are spend $50 at Olive Garden, get $10 back, spend $200 at Budget Rent-A-Car, get $20 back, spend $200 (or was it $300) or more at Hilton, get 3000 MR points (4500 HH points), etc. If the CSR doesn't have deals like this, and I only want to keep one $450 AF card in my wallet, it might be better to keep the Plat and the CSP than to get the CSR.

Last edited by STS-134; Aug 8, 2016 at 12:29 pm
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by STS-134
They absolutely DO transmit the card number. Try this app if you have an Android phone:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vnfccard&hl=en

I was able to see my Costco Visa's card number and expiration date on my phone.

The only thing missing is the CVV number. But if an online merchant does not verify this number, you can easily buy stuff with the info gathered wirelessly. And even if merchants do verify it, I don't want my CC number being transmitted to everyone within range.
They're using an outdated standard then. They need to use the EMV-based one.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LoneTree
They're using an outdated standard then. They need to use the EMV-based one.
I'm pretty sure Citi is. It's no surprise that STS-134 could see the card number with his phone since the phone is only a couple of inches away at most, plus I don't think the apps on the Play Store can read the older standard.

Anyway, it is far easier (and more rewarding) for thieves to do things like, oh, install malware on POS systems and servers. Target for instance is quite possibly the main reason why the US didn't decide to delay the EMV transition again. And online fraud is still going to be a problem even if we were to ban contactless payment entirely; it's not like we're requiring people to go out and buy chip readers for their home computers or use Verified by Visa/SecureCode to buy stuff online.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
-Mod hat on-

Let's get back on topic folks. There is a separate thread for chip/EMV issues. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...signature.html

-Mod hat off-
Old Aug 8, 2016, 5:33 pm

Contactless chip cards are not a risk for the consumer, since the bank holds liability for fraudulent charges (or merchant if they did not upgrade to EMV equipment), not the consumer.

That said, you're more likely to actually get robbed and have the physical card and your cash taken by a criminal than have your card number stolen off the contactless chip by a criminal.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 5:39 pm

Just realized the United Card (70K points!) I signed up for was my 4th card in the last two years, and on top of that I took out a student loan. Guess I'll have to open one up on behalf of my wife.

Last edited by mia; Aug 8, 2016 at 5:40 pm Reason: Remove profanity.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
I'm still waiting to see whether this card includes as many deals as the Amex Plat (like spend $x at a specific merchant, get $y back). None of the travel blogs seem to mention this but it's a huge deal with the Plat card if you use it properly. I've never seen anything like this on Chase cards, only bonus points for the Ultimate Rewards store and only for online transactions. A sampling of Amex Plat offers active right now are spend $50 at Olive Garden, get $10 back, spend $200 at Budget Rent-A-Car, get $20 back, spend $200 (or was it $300) or more at Hilton, get 3000 MR points (4500 HH points), etc. If the CSR doesn't have deals like this, and I only want to keep one $450 AF card in my wallet, it might be better to keep the Plat and the CSP than to get the CSR.
You get "Amex Offers" even on the basic/ordinary Amex no fee credit cards (the same deals available to Platinum card holders)

Originally Posted by highops
Ummm, you may be off by a factor of 10 or so here.
Thanks, i corrected it

Last edited by mia; Aug 9, 2016 at 5:36 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:31 am
Suspended

Has anyone been able to confirm if this card will be made out of metal since it's a high end card?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 11:18 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Moderator action

Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
You get "Amex Offers" even on the basic/ordinary Amex no fee credit cards (the same deals available to Platinum card holders)
Ensuing discussion has been transferred to the American Express forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...nc-offers.html

Last edited by mia; Aug 9, 2016 at 2:18 pm
Old Aug 9, 2016, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by cslovacek
Has anyone been able to confirm if this card will be made out of metal since it's a high end card?
I think since it will (allegedly) take the place of the Palladium card, which was actually made of palladium, that this card will actually be made of sapphire.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:29 pm

It will most likely be the same as the current sapphire preferred.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 6:09 pm

I hope these questions will be posted to the Wiki:

1) Can the $300 airline credit be used specifically for air fares?Separately, is the $300 a "calendar year" benefit?
2) Does the Priority Pass allow the holder to bring guests and if so how many?
3) Can holders of the Chase Freedom card "product change" to the Sapphire Reserve and still obtain the 100k bonus points since the CSR is a brand new card being introduced to the market as opposed to the CSP which is an old product?
4) How long will the 100K bonus point offer last? Do the Chase bankers have more information on this?

Last edited by edealinfo12345; Aug 9, 2016 at 6:23 pm
Old Aug 9, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
I hope these questions will be posted to the Wiki:

1) Can the $300 airline credit be used specifically for air fares?Separately, is the $300 a "calendar year" benefit?
2) Does the Priority Pass allow the holder to bring guests and if so how many?
3) Can holders of the Chase Freedom card "product change" to the Sapphire Reserve and still obtain the 100k bonus points since the CSR is a brand new card being introduced to the market as opposed to the CSP which is an old product?
4) How long will the 100K bonus point offer last? Do the Chase bankers have more information on this?
No one knows the answers to those yet.
3. 100% no.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:59 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Moderator action

A dozen posts discussing technical aspects of credit bureaus, scores, limits etc have been moved to this thread because the principles are the same for ALL Chase cards:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...5-present.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.