Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion continues HERE.

This card is under 5/24. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24) pre-approval, or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days) is now live:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests.


Schumer box on 8/15/2016:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...g.do?card=FL3P

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The purchases made that you receive the $300 travel credit (or $85/$100 trusted traveler program credits) for do count towards the minimum spend, but the annual fee does not.

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air Saver to everyone after production (currently (8/26) appears to have about a 3-day delay after approval before shipping.)
Print Wikipost

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:03 pm
  #181  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Posts: 501
at 15/24, but hoping to get and keep this card and downgrade my CSP to a freedom unlimited, and then waiting out to apply for another sapphire in another year
StatusChallenged is offline  
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:20 pm
  #182  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Posts: 2,587
Originally Posted by lump
To me it would make complete sense for Chase to exclude this from 5/24. The point of the 5/24 policy was to exclude freeloaders (from their perspective at least)...those who will get a card with first year annual fee waived, earn the signup bonus, then cancel a year later. However, with this card's steep annual fee, it's not free money like other cards (although overall the value is better). Besides, the very customers who would be interested in this card are more likely than not over the 5/24 threshold. I'm at 7/24, so I'm going to pause my other signups for now and hope I can somehow sneak by.
Originally Posted by JKFinn22
It seems to me like Chase would have decent incentive to still enforce 5/24 with the (presumed) release of the new card. The demographic must excluded -- those of us in the Hobby -- is the same demographic that is the least likely to keep the card after the first year. Of course, as mentioned above, if the carrots are sweet enough then even the most dedicated churners would probably want to keep it.
The way I see it is a good amount of people over the 5/24 are actually the ones willing to pay $450 for the card (like the Prestige and Amex Plat owners). Most people under 5/24 are the types that would never even think of paying any sort of AF, let alone $450..
frudd38 is offline  
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:53 pm
  #183  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 141
Originally Posted by frudd38
The way I see it is a good amount of people over the 5/24 are actually the ones willing to pay $450 for the card (like the Prestige and Amex Plat owners). Most people under 5/24 are the types that would never even think of paying any sort of AF, let alone $450..
I'm sure Chase hired some $900/hr consultants and experts to run the stats to provide rigorous cost-benefit analysis... And it looks like they ain't changing their minds
darkhound is offline  
Old Aug 4, 2016, 6:26 pm
  #184  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: EWR-SEA-IAD
Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 978
Someone at reddit is reporting more details now. And a picture




For the Chase Sapphire Reserve:

3x points on travel and dining at restaurants

1 point on all other purchases

100,000 bonus points after spending 4k in first 3 months

$300 annual travel credit for travel purchases charged to the card

AF - $450

AUs - $75

$0 foreign transaction fees

1:1 point transfers to loyalty programs

Complementary lounge access

Global entry or TSA pre check credit of up to $100

50% bonus (instead of 25% bonus) on UR redemption through the UR site

Coming out August 21st

EDIT - friend is banker there and received the info today
HGHUA is offline  
Old Aug 4, 2016, 6:27 pm
  #185  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: BOS
Posts: 40
Originally Posted by HGHUA
Someone at reddit is reporting more details now. And a picture
That looks like a Chase brochure, with the light blue background going to white.
Coldmode is offline  
Old Aug 4, 2016, 6:43 pm
  #186  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 495
Originally Posted by HGHUA
$300 annual travel credit for travel purchases charged to the card
Does this mean you can get a credit for purchasing an airline ticket? Or is the credit limited to airline "incidentals"? This could be the game changer.
edealinfo12345 is offline  
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:47 pm
  #187  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: IAH
Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 12,860
Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
Does this mean you can get a credit for purchasing an airline ticket? Or is the credit limited to airline "incidentals"? This could be the game changer.
Who knows... DoC thinks it may work the way airline credits work on the Ritz card (since it's the only chase card that currently has a travel credit like this), but in reality, who knows... we're still debating speculation on a card that clearly exists, but isn't public yet. http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-...e-card-design/
krazykanuck is offline  
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:00 pm
  #188  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: LAX
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Posts: 1,310
OK, so besides $50 more in airline credit and 1x extra on dining and primary coverage in the US, what is the big difference that people see between this and Prestige.
jediwho is offline  
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:01 pm
  #189  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 378
Originally Posted by Coldmode
That looks like a Chase brochure, with the light blue background going to white.
Yeah, it's been pulled, sadly. Looks like OPs friend got mad.
Frindle is offline  
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:18 pm
  #190  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 534
Originally Posted by jediwho
OK, so besides $50 more in airline credit and 1x extra on dining and primary coverage in the US, what is the big difference that people see between this and Prestige.
Prestige has in its favor:
  • 4th night free. Personally not big for me as my personal travel is rarely 4+ nights at one hotel.
  • airline credit can be used for almost anything including airfare

Sapphire Reserve has in favor:
  • better transfer partners
  • redeem points for 1.5cpp. prestige is about to be nerfed to 1.2 (was 1.6 on AA)
  • much better signup bonus
  • primary CDW as mentioned

To be determined later:
  • Whether the Sapphire Reserve gets the good version of Priority Pass Select that the Prestige has (2 free guests)
aradisc is offline  
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:28 pm
  #191  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: IAH
Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 12,860
Originally Posted by jediwho
OK, so besides $50 more in airline credit and 1x extra on dining and primary coverage in the US, what is the big difference that people see between this and Prestige.
According to bloggers, pretty much anything Chase is better than anything Citi equivalent

As for me, the only real appeal is the ridiculously good rumored 100k UR sign up bonus, but since this card is almost certainly going to be subject to 5/24, I can't get it. So I'm mostly a slightly interested observer who is locked out. United Club access instead of Priority Pass would have been a serious plus, because while United Clubs are, well, UC's and perhaps slightly less bad than Admirals Clubs, there are so many domestic airports with UCs but no PP lounges and IMO a UC is still better than sitting at the gate almost all of the time.
krazykanuck is offline  
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:29 pm
  #192  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: LAX
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Posts: 1,310
Originally Posted by aradisc
Prestige has in its favor:
  • 4th night free. Personally not big for me as my personal travel is rarely 4+ nights at one hotel.
  • airline credit can be used for almost anything including airfare

Sapphire Reserve has in favor:
  • better transfer partners
  • redeem points for 1.5cpp. prestige is about to be nerfed to 1.2 (was 1.6 on AA)
  • much better signup bonus
  • primary CDW as mentioned

To be determined later:
  • Whether the Sapphire Reserve gets the good version of Priority Pass Select that the Prestige has (2 free guests)
Besides the Primary coverage (and 100K bonus), there is nothing that would make me jump for this card. It's a good card, but not great. All three: Prestige, Sapphire Reserve and Amex Plat have their pluses and minuses. I was/am not expecting the moon, but I was at least hoping for one unique benefit that no other card was offering. Let's hope there is something that is worthwhile.....otherwise this will be a great sign up bonus card and I will stick with Prestige, Platinum and Crystal (for Infinite benefits).
jediwho is offline  
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:44 pm
  #193  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: LAX
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Posts: 1,310
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
According to bloggers, pretty much anything Chase is better than anything Citi equivalent

As for me, the only real appeal is the ridiculously good rumored 100k UR sign up bonus, but since this card is almost certainly going to be subject to 5/24, I can't get it. So I'm mostly a slightly interested observer who is locked out. United Club access instead of Priority Pass would have been a serious plus, because while United Clubs are, well, UC's and perhaps slightly less bad than Admirals Clubs, there are so many domestic airports with UCs but no PP lounges and IMO a UC is still better than sitting at the gate almost all of the time.
Most bloogers are treated well by Chase. I ran a spreadsheet comparing Prestige, City Crystal and Amex Plat.....#1 for travel insurance benefits was Prestige followed by Amex and then Crystal.

Regarding primary insurance, there was an FT thread I was reading where a couple of readers had used both Amex Premium insurance and one provided by Chase Sapphire on separate instances and they both thought Amex was much more easier to deal with.

In either case, I am in a similar situation as you with the 5/24 rule except that I think my wife might qualify. We will see.

Essentially all three cards -- Prestige, Platinum and Crystal -- have very differentiating benefits. From what I have read so far, SR is just 1x more dinning points than Sapphire. Nothing to salivate over.
jediwho is offline  
Old Aug 4, 2016, 9:11 pm
  #194  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SW Michigan, ex SF Bay Area
Posts: 836
1 point on all other purchases
That's too bad. I was hoping for 1.5x so I wouldn't have to also get the Freedom Unlimited.
Rare is offline  
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:46 pm
  #195  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 31
Hyatt Diamond with 200k / yr spend. Must add this
tokkifierce is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.