FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1779207-csp-csr-trip-cancellation-delay-insurance-issues-comments-2016-2019-a.html)

hmnguyen87 Jul 18, 2016 2:40 pm

CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019)

Hi everyone,

Been a long time follower of the forum, just never created an account.
Just have a question that i am hoping I could get some answers. I purchased a trip package(Flight and Hotel) using my Chase Sapphire Card. However, I had to cancel the trip last minute due to the death of my Aunt. I purchased the trip on cheapcarribean.com for 1800. Due to cancellation last minute, I was charged 800 total ( per talking to the rep, the hotel charges one night and the airfare charge 150$ per ticket).

Just wondering if i could file a claim through chase sapphire trip cancellation insurance to recoup the 800?

thanks in advance

garykung Jul 18, 2016 3:04 pm

Sorry for your loss.

It is a covered loss as:

Accidental Bodily Injury, Loss of Life, or Sickness experienced by you, a Traveling Companion, or an Immediate Family Member of you or a Traveling Companion
When Immediate Family Member means:

...your Spouse or Domestic Partner and their children, including adopted children or step-children; legal guardians or wards; siblings or siblings-in-law; parents or parents-in-law; grandparents or grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews.
I know this will be insulting. But please try to obtain a copy of your aunt's death certificate. This will be the key of success (or failure) of the claim.

babycakes01 Jul 19, 2016 11:07 am

OP

Sorry for the loss of your Aunt.

A question to the group: Is this topic, trip insurance, covered in any threads? I took a quick look and did not find anything. It would be really helpful to know what card(s) offer this protection and anybody with firsthand experience in recovering a claim.

Cards I currently have include but not limited to: Barclay Arrival, Citi AA, AMEX BCE & BCP, Chase SW, Chase Ink Business, Citi COSTCO Visa, Discover IT & Miles and likely several others that do not come to mind right now.

Thanks in advance.

hmnguyen87 Jul 19, 2016 4:58 pm

I am not sure if this is the proper thread. maybe i need admin help to move this thread?
thanks.

mia Jul 19, 2016 6:25 pm

Moderator observation

Originally Posted by hmnguyen87 (Post 26940294)
I am not sure if this is the proper thread. maybe i need admin help to move this thread?
thanks.

This thread is in the correct forum, and garykung's reply seems to answer your question. Is there something more that you need to know?

jooce Jul 22, 2016 3:46 am

My poor experience with Chase's Trip Cancellation Insurance

This thread is mostly for me to vent :mad::mad::mad: and give warning to people in similar situations in the future. Also seeking input on if this has happened to others before!

I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred card. I purchased a flight for $310 through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal (on Asiana Airlines), and paid with my Sapphire Preferred. Unfortunately, the day before I was supposed to take off, I had a medical emergency and the doctor recommended that I not travel. I had to cancel my flight, but knew I had trip cancellation insurance through the Sapphire Preferred card.

I call Chase Ultimate Rewards to cancel my flight. They said I was subject to a $90 cancellation fee. No big deal, I thought - I had the cancellation insurance. Chase refunded me the $310 and charged me a separate $90 cancellation fee on my card. I had no communication with Asiana Airlines, and everything on my credit card related to this showed up as CL * Chase Travel.

I file a claim with Chase's 3rd party trip insurance provider to recoup the $90. After a week or so, they deny my claim. They said they cannot give me any money, because I had technically been fully reimbursed for the $310 by Chase! Even though there was a separate cancellation fee, that was not enough to trigger any sort of reimbursement. The claims agent told me that if I had been only refunded $220, then I could have claimed the $90. Or better yet, if I hadn't called in to cancel at all, I could've filed for $310 and gotten it!

Last night, I spent about 2 hours on the phone with Chase, being transferred from Chase Sapphire Preferred CS to Chase Ultimate Rewards. Nobody could do anything...Chase Ultimate Rewards told me "Sorry, that's just the way we refund when you cancel a flight. We always charge the cancellation fee separately." But if that is true, that means that will never be covered under Chase Sapphire's trip insurance!!!

I was so frustrated after 2 hours, and I asked to cancel my card (yes I was that angry!). Chase Ultimate Rewards refunded me in a way that doesn't align with Chase Sapphire Preferred's trip insurance policy. Why do I pay $95 a year for benefits that don't align? After I asked to cancel my card, a CS agent offered me a $60 statement credit to resolve the case. I was exhausted since it was 1am at this time and accepted the statement credit.

This ordeal left a bad taste in my mouth, and I am now looking into American Express cards. I know I'm only out $30, but I am still annoyed about how this was handled. What a pity, since I have loved using my Chase Sapphire Preferred card for 3 years until this point.

Thank you for listening! Would love to hear input.

garykung Jul 22, 2016 4:00 am

Refer your issue to your state's insurance commissioner for a second look.

paperwastage Jul 27, 2016 10:27 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 26951959)
Refer your issue to your state's insurance commissioner for a second look.

agree too

a lot of insurance companies require you to make best effort to minimize the total loss. $90 < $310 seems reasonable

also, write and request the full insurance policy from plan provider

and cancellation policy from chase UR. maybe you were missing this piece

What types of documentation may be requested
when a claim is submitted?
Some of the documentation the Company may request includes,
but is not limited to:
• completed claim form
• copy of the travel itinerary
• confirmation of the reason for the Trip Cancellation or
Trip Interruption—i.e. medical documents, death certificate, or other
documentation supporting a Covered Loss
• copy of the Credit Card statement that shows the charge for
prepaid travel arrangements for Trip Cancellation
• proof of expenses incurred due to a Trip Interruption
• a copy of the cancellation or refund polices of the Common Carrier,
Tour Operator, or Travel Supplier

Claim Information
Answers to specific questions can be obtained by writing the Plan
Administrator. To make a claim please contact the Plan Administrator.
Plan Administrator
Card Benefit Services
P.O. Box 72034
Richmond, VA 23255

jooce Jul 31, 2016 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 26976183)
agree too

a lot of insurance companies require you to make best effort to minimize the total loss. $90 < $310 seems reasonable

also, write and request the full insurance policy from plan provider

and cancellation policy from chase UR. maybe you were missing this piece

Thank you both paperwastage and garykung. I will reach out to the insurance commissioner.

The trip insurance adjusted said I was not missing any pieces unfortunately. Here is the wording from the official denial letter:

Our investigation shows that you purchased a trip on 06/07/2016 using your Chase Visa credit card. On 06/30/2016 you had to cancel the trip due to an illness. It has been confirmed that you received a full refund for the cost of the trip. In addition you were charged a cancellation penalty of $90. Since you received a full refund from the common carrier the cancellation penalty would be in addition and not a prepaid fare.

We must regretfully deny your claim for payment. Based on the review of the policy, the documentation provided, and the facts of the loss we have determined that your loss is not covered as it does not meet the definition of Non-Refundable under the terms of the policy. The policy only covers the pre-paid forfeited costs and does not offer coverage for additional expenses. The following will help you understand the basis for our denial.
I can copy and paste more if necessary. Over the phone, the adjusted had told me that I shouldn't have even canceled and kept the $310 charge, and then I would've been able to successfully claim the $310.

Even more annoyingly, Chase Ultimate Rewards claimed this is always how they perform refunds for a canceled flight - fully refunding a canceled flight, and then separately charging a cancelation fee.

Unfortunately I don't have those 2 pieces of information in writing - both were told to me over the phone.

Sigh. Lesson learned.

paperwastage Aug 1, 2016 7:18 am

Originally Posted by jooce (Post 26996427)
I can copy and paste more if necessary. Over the phone, the adjusted had told me that I shouldn't have even canceled and kept the $310 charge, and then I would've been able to successfully claim the $310.

no, they would have denied the $310 claim since it wasn't non-refundable

catch22...

I'd say stop talking to them on the phone, and start sending letters.... more proof to talk to the insurance regulator

jooce Aug 2, 2016 8:40 pm

Would you suggest strictly letters or is email ok?

paperwastage Aug 3, 2016 5:55 am

Originally Posted by jooce (Post 27006684)

whole idea is documentation.

phone call = no documentation (unless you record it), but it's still a pain when you can just whip out a letter/email hardcopy to forward to the insurance regulator

I would prefer letter, but if it's too annoying/time-consuming/too much delay, then go for email and save everything

garykung Aug 3, 2016 6:08 am

Originally Posted by jooce (Post 27006684)

Email is fine if your state's commissioner accepts this method.

In most of the case, the commissioner will ask the insurance company providing relevant document and a proper explanation.

It works sort of like a CPFB complaint. The only difference is your state will act more often than CPFB.

Benjh Aug 3, 2016 8:11 am

Hello all,

I purchased with my CSP a ticket CDG-TLV through FCO with Alitalia. unfortunately I just came up with an ear infection and my doctor doesn't want me to fly.

My AZ ticket is refundable for a 150€ fee. Means i have to pay the 150, then i'll get the ticket reimbursed.

Will the CSP insurance cover that fee?
One rep I talked to said that since it was a cancellation fee, not a part of the ticket that's not refundable, they would not.
Another was not so sure.

I know the nuance is thin, but when it comes to insurance...
what do you guys think?

One thing for sure, with a cheaper, non refundable ticket, CSP would have covered the loss, things would have been easier.

Thanks all for your input.
Ben.

garykung Aug 3, 2016 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Benjh (Post 27008669)
Will the CSP insurance cover that fee?

It should.

Originally Posted by Benjh (Post 27008669)
One rep I talked to said that since it was a cancellation fee, not a part of the ticket that's not refundable, they would not.
Another was not so sure.

It is not about how the fee is categorized or named. It is about if it is a loss as a result of your cancellation.