Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019)

Old May 17, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: threeoh
Overview
Many Chase cards, including Sapphire Preferred and Reserve and MileagePlus Explorer, come with three different kinds of travel protection:

Trip Delay: This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed, for example by weather, mechanical, or missed connection. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

Trip Cancellation: This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference). Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

Trip Interruption: This is similar to Trip Cancellation, but reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because you cut your trip short for a covered reason (illness, etc.). It mostly covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. Exceptions: If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference); it covers charges to return rental cars early to a different location; and covers up to $250 to get to/from the airport or medical facility. Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

No coverage on the Chase cards will pay for new expensive tickets home.

How to file a claim:
- go to http://eclaimsline.com/ , or
- call 1-888-675-1461

Guide to Benefits:
Read it! CSR - CSP

Trip Delay FAQ and experiences

This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed, for example by weather, mechanical, or missed connection. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

How long does the delay have to be? 6 hours for CSR, 12 hours for CSP and MPE, check your guide to benefits for other cards. Also kicks in if the delay is "overnight".
Are delays because of weather and mechanical problems covered? Yes.
Who is covered? Only you, your spouse, your dependent children under 22. For large meals (multiple main courses), people have been asked what portion of the meal was consumed by covered travelers.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their spouse and dependent children.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? Yes.
Do I have to buy the flight that is delayed with the Chase card? Yes.
Do I have to use my Chase card to purchase hotel/meals/etc. I am hoping to have covered? No, you can use any card, or cash. Just keep your receipts.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 1 year. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
Does it cover alcohol? Recent reports indicate yes; some older reports of alcohol being denied.
Does it cover tips? Recent reports indicate yes, up to 20%; some older reports of tips being denied.
My airline is offering a voucher for a hotel, but I skipped the voucher line and booked my own hotel. Am I covered? Reports point to yes, as long as you did not actually take the airline up on their offer.
Rather than staying in a hotel, I'd rather rent a car / buy a walk-up fare on another airline. Will this be covered? Mixed reports. In general this coverage is meant for expenses incurred during a delay, not onward travel.
How do I show the reason for the delay? The coverage requires a statement from the carrier indicating the cause of the delay. If your document doesn't state the cause of the delay, it probably will not work. One possibility is to get a military excuse while at the airport; another is to screenshot the carrier's website or app if it shows the cause. You can also write after the fact to get a delay letter: United: [email protected] , Delta , American. Make sure to request that the delay letter state the cause of the delay. For other carriers contact their main customer service.
Am I covered if my flight is cancelled and I am rebooked on a later flight? Yes
Am I covered if my flight is slightly delayed and I miss my connection, causing a longer delay? Yes
Am I covered at my home airport? Maybe. This report of someone being covered after appeal for hotel in Newark when EWR flight was delayed, lives in NJ but not Newark. Guide says "You are not covered for any Covered Hazard delay that was made public or known to you prior to the departure for the Covered Trip [a period of round-trip travel (meaning departing from and eventually returning to your primary residence) that doesnt exceed three hundred and sixty- five (365) days away from your residence to a destination other than your city of residence.]".
I was delayed on my outbound and claimed $500. Now am I delayed on my inbound. Am I covered? One report on this thread of two reimbursements for two different delay incidents on a single ticket. Chase says "per trip" on the phone, but Guide says "per ticket". So a round-trip ticket may not cover two delays, but two one-ways could. Need more data on this.

Experiences:

• 01/2014 - Delayed in MSP overnight due to mechanical issues. ~$300 for Hotel Ivy downtown, meals, and ground transportation covered with no issues. Benefits applied to AMEX FHR. Claim processed within 1 week. [Full Report]
  • 02/2014 - Flight was cancelled due to weather; booked Amtrak with points, which was then delayed because of downed electrical wires; rented a car and drove home. Used print out from flightaware.com to show flight was cancelled, claimed non-points dollar amount for Amtrak ticket, got Chase (not insurance) to request receipts from vendors that weren't saved by OP. All was covered. Full report
  • 04/2014 - Delayed in DTW overnight due to crew member time-out. ~$400 for DTW Westin and meals covered with no issues. Claim processed within 1 week. Full Report
  • 07/2014- Delayed in MSP overnight due to weather at destination. Booked Marriott Mall of America for $120, and meals for 3 and a shirt were all covered. Recommend keeping new and old boarding passes.
  • 12/2014 - Trip delay in WAS (flight was delayed because of MX causing misconnect and overnight. Reward flight with taxes+fees on Chase card. OP + wife were covered $632 for a for a room, dinner, and taxi roundtrip from the airport. Gratuity was not reimbursed and could not convince them to after a phone call. Hotel Was $380 after tax and this was not a problem.
  • 07/2016 - Delayed in YYC overnight due to mechanical problems. Claim paid out ~$300. Full report.
  • 7/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to thunderstorms. ~$390 for hotel, uber, meals. Claim processed within a week, no issues. Full report.
  • 9/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to Harvey. ~$499 for hotel, ubereats. Claim processed in 7 business days
  • 1/2017 - $625 covered on two tickets on JetBlue award flight with taxes+fees on Chase in FLL. Missed connection due to Mx. Incl. $65 at Walgreens, r/t uber to hotel, uber home, $265 hotel, $180 meal. Tax, tip, and alcohol covered.
  • 06/2017 - $258 covered for overnight delay hotel/dinner. Did not cover $50 to pick a seat on next day's flight. Full report
  • 08/2017 - covered during ATC equipment failure leading to cancelled flight
  • 08/2017 - covered with flightaware showing delay, no direct statement from carrier. Booked dummy return flight on Southwest to 'comply' with r/t requirement.
  • 12/2017 - covered for forced overnight due to ATL "Power Outage". Entire ticket, including taxes, was paid for using Ultimate Reward points through my Reserve account. There was no credit card charge showing on my account.
  • 1/2018 - covered for $500 including hotel tips, a drink, and minibar snacks w/ no receipt (but showed credit card statement with purchases listed)
  • 1/2018 - covered rental + gas to drive to int'l gateway when feeder flight was cancelled.
  • 3/2018 - covered int'l phone calls, roaming cell phone data (submitted phone bill), storage locker, and hotel.
  • 4/2018 - covered hotel, meals/snacks, cold medicine, Uber ground transport for overnight due to weather. Award ticket with taxes/fees on CSR.
  • 5/2018 - covered $250 in hotel, uber, two meals after missing a connection in a "painless but slightly drawn out" process. Had to request a different delay letter because first one didn't state cause of delay. Total turn-around time 40 days including re-requesting delay letter.
  • 11/2018 - covered $300+ in hotel, 2 Ubers, 3 meals; did not cover seat charge or Uber home; originally booked with UR points (no CC charge)
  • 7/2019 - covered $400+ in hotel, rental car, 3 meals, clothing/toiletries for me, wife and son for 24 hour delay; award tickets with taxes/fees in CSR.

(A previous thread that dealt with travel delay compensation has been closed and all future issues with travel delays & cancellations will be handled here. The last 4 posts from that thread have been merged into this one. The closed thread can be found here.)

For one overview of when you're covered and how to file a claim, read this blog post. The Milewriter @ Saverocity compiled a lot of information from this thread, and thanks all the contributors.

Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption

This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel or interrupt because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

Trip Interruption only covers a few new expenses: If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference); it covers charges to return rental cars early to a different location; and covers up to $250 to get to/from the airport or medical facility and from the airport to your home.

What are covered reasons? Illness or injury or death (with documentation) of you or family, severe weather, change in military orders, terrorism, jury duty or subpoena, uninhabitable dwelling, quarantine, or if your travel supplier goes bankrupt. Pre-existing medical conditions are not covered.
Who is covered? CSP/CSR: Extended family: You, your Spouse or Domestic Partner and their children, including adopted children or step-children; legal guardians or wards; siblings or siblings-in-law; parents or parents-in-law; grandparents or grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews. MPE: You, spouse/domestic partner, dependent children.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their extended family / immediate family depending on the card.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? Yes.
Do I have to buy the travel arrangements with my card to be covered? Apparently now this is "yes", you have to pay for "some portion" of each travel arrangement (hotel, flight, etc.) for that arrangement to be covered.
What kinds of pre-paid travel arrangements are covered? "airline tickets, train tickets, bus tickets, prepaid tours, hotels, and rental cars."
What kinds of pre-paid travel arrangements are not covered? "Event Tickets or prepaid fees to theme parks, museums, golf courses, or other points of interest"
I got ill during a trip and had to buy really expensive tickets to fly home. Will I get reimbursed? No. If you can't use your original tickets, this will reimburse you for those -- but new tickets are on you. If you change your original tickets, this will cover the change fee only. It does not pay for fare difference or new tickets. It will pay up to $250 to get you to/from the airport or train station, medical facility, and to your residence after you land at your home airport.
I got ill and need to cancel my trip / return early. What documentation do I need? Generally a letter from a physician or other medical person. There is a special claim form for the doctor to fill out but a sufficiently detailed letter from the doctor can work too.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 60 days. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
My flight was cancelled. Am I covered? Probably not. Only if it was cancelled due to weather or transit strikes, and only if you didn't get reimbursed by the carrier. However, see Trip Delay above.
I cancelled my trip and the airline has given me one year to use my tickets, but I can't use them. How do I get reimbursed? Several reports indicate that you must wait for the unused tickets to expire, then file another claim. You can get the change fee covered right away. Other reports say if you demonstrate you won't use the tickets, they'll cover full amount right now. YMMV.
Am I covered if I'm taking a road trip, with no flights or common carrier? Yes. However the online claim form requires flight info; just fill it out with dummy flights and explain your other documents that there was no common carrier.
I am pregnant and no longer want to travel. Am I covered? Maybe. Generally, unexpected complications with non-IVF pre-26th week single pregnancies are covered. Non-IVF multiple pregnancies (twins, triplets) are not covered unless you get pregnant after purchasing your tickets. IVF pregnancies are not covered. The guide says you are not covered for "Travel arrangements that are scheduled to take place after the twenty-sixth (26th) week of pregnancy; or when any multiple pregnancy, with or without complications, occurs prior to the initial deposit date or booking date of the Trip; or any pregnancy associated with an assisted reproductive program, such as in vitro fertilization"
There is civil unrest at my destination, am I covered? Maybe. Generally you are covered if there is a Terrorist Incident or State Dept travel warning during your trip (Trip Interruption) or in the 30 days leading up to your trip (for Trip Cancellation) for within 25 miles of any place along your trip itinerary or your home, as long as the incident or warning didn't happen before you booked your tickets. Not covered is "War, undeclared war, civil war, insurrection, rebellion, revolution, warlike acts by a military force or personnel". Also not covered is "Trips booked to any area known to be associated with Terrorist Activity" (meaning multiple Terrorist Incidents or travel warnings in 12 months) and "disinclination to travel due to civil unrest [or] an epidemic or pandemic".

Experiences:
Print Wikipost

CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019)

Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
I went through the Chase trip delay reimbursement language on the PDF, but I'm not clear about the following situation (hypothetical):

I have two airports near me: SNA and LGB, both with stringent noise restrictions at night. If I was flying SNA-XXX-SNA or LGB-XXX-LGB (assuming I paid for the flight with the CSR) and a covered [weather/maintenance] delay (not known before I arrive at the airport) occurs that results in the flight being cancelled at the home airport, can I use the trip delay reimbursement?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by gmax58
I went through the Chase trip delay reimbursement language on the PDF, but I'm not clear about the following situation (hypothetical):

I have two airports near me: SNA and LGB, both with stringent noise restrictions at night. If I was flying SNA-XXX-SNA or LGB-XXX-LGB (assuming I paid for the flight with the CSR) and a covered [weather/maintenance] delay (not known before I arrive at the airport) occurs that results in the flight being cancelled at the home airport, can I use the trip delay reimbursement?
No, nothing is covered at your departure airport.

This is the term they use to deny coverage: "You are not covered for any Covered Hazard delay that was made
public or known to you prior to the departure for the Covered Trip."

"Prior to the departure" apparently means prior to the departure of your first flight.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:19 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
"Prior to the departure" apparently means prior to the departure of your first flight.
The definition of a trip refers to departing from and returning to home, not to the first flight:

A Covered Trip is a period of round-trip travel (meaning departing from and eventually returning to your primary residence) that doesn’t exceed three hundred and sixty- five (365) days away from your residence to a destination other than your city of residence.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by caseynshan
Taking family on middle east and africa trip next summer.
Booked with United Miles.
Taxes and fees were paid w/ Chase Reserve card.

Does that mean I am covered by Chase Reserve trip insurance?

If yes. does that mean if I had to cancel the trip (my father's health is not great).. I could get Chase Reserve to cover the fees to refund the miles? ($125 each)

or use get reimbursed if there is a 6hr + delay.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/chase...phire-reserve/
Yes, you would be covered. We use our CSR to pay for our award flight taxes/fees and have had medical and delay expenses resimbursed 2x in the last year with no issues.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The definition of a trip refers to departing from and returning to home, not to the first flight:
That sounds like the correct interpretation, but is not the one eclaimsline uses. You're welcome to call them and verify. They don't cover anything at your home airport.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
That sounds like the correct interpretation, but is not the one eclaimsline uses. You're welcome to call them and verify. They don't cover anything at your home airport.
There are reports of people getting the delay benefits (after appeal) at their departure airport IF that departure airport is not in their city of residence: see this post describing the original incident, were the poster was delayed and stayed overnight at a hotel near EWR which was the first flight of their journey,
this post describing the rejection letter saying the benefit didn't apply as they were still "in their city of residence" (though the poster did not live in Newark, NJ), and this post saying the appeal was approved a check was cut.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in
Ah... yeah they are not easy to work with, I hear. Perhaps someone on the MH board can give you an insight on how to get a response from them.
I was able to get a confirmation letter for the delay from Malaysia Airlines. Now CSR wants a settlement response from them that either outlines or denies my claim for compensation. I never filed a claim with MAS because I was told they don't provide compensation. Like you, I uploaded the pdf from the MAS website which outlines their baggage policy, where they say that they only provide compensation at the airport at the time of delay. But the examiner won't accept this reason. They want a settlement letter. Did you speak with the examiner when you explained the policy? Or do different examiners require different documentation?

Thanks.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by pucknyc
I was able to get a confirmation letter for the delay from Malaysia Airlines. Now CSR wants a settlement response from them that either outlines or denies my claim for compensation. I never filed a claim with MAS because I was told they don't provide compensation. Like you, I uploaded the pdf from the MAS website which outlines their baggage policy, where they say that they only provide compensation at the airport at the time of delay. But the examiner won't accept this reason. They want a settlement letter. Did you speak with the examiner when you explained the policy? Or do different examiners require different documentation?

Thanks.
I imagine its a Hang Up Call Again situation.

What worked for me was that I was arriving at my home airport, and Malaysaia's compensation policy clearly states that no compensation is due in case you are coming home.

It is true that Malaysia holds back any information on compensation at first contact. Even when you ask they will tell you they have no policy. Then you arrive here and are directed by wiser members of this website to the correct information.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by pucknyc

Thanks.
File a claim with MAS immediately. They will either pay your claim, or deny it. Either way, you'll get what you want.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
File a claim with MAS immediately. They will either pay your claim, or deny it. Either way, you'll get what you want.
Thanks for the comments. I will file something immediately. Unfortunately, I've already passed the 21 day deadline for filing in Malaysia, as per information I've read on the web. But I will file something, and hopefully they will provide me with at least a denial letter.

Thanks.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:21 pm
She

I booked flights using Chase UR points I earned on my Chase Sapphire Reserve via the Chase UR Travel Portal

We are supposed to leave next Tuesday but just heard that my grandfather passed away this morning. Will the Sapphire Reserve trip cancellation insurance cover this? It's not clear to me as I paid entirely using points and nothing was charged to my card for the airfare

Have been on hold with them for 15+ mins now
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:11 am

It should. The CSR benefit booklet defines a covered trip as follows:

Covered Trip – any pre-paid tour, trip or vacation when some
portion of the cost for such travel arrangements less any redeemable
frequent flyer miles, points, coupons or certificates, or other types of
redeemable Rewards has been charged to your Account:
• while the insurance is in effect
• to a destination of greater than one (1) mile from your
primary residence
• and is for a time period that doesn’t exceed sixty (60) days
in duration
Covered Trip also includes covered trips awarded from frequent flier
or points programs provided that all of the miles or points were
accumulated from charges on the Insured Person’s Account.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by She
I booked flights using Chase UR points I earned on my Chase Sapphire Reserve via the Chase UR Travel Portal

We are supposed to leave next Tuesday but just heard that my grandfather passed away this morning. Will the Sapphire Reserve trip cancellation insurance cover this? It's not clear to me as I paid entirely using points and nothing was charged to my card for the airfare

Have been on hold with them for 15+ mins now
Yes. They'll either pay you the $ value of the ticket, or $0.01 per UR point.

Also note that many airlines allow for refunds even on non-refundable tickets in the case of a death of a close family member. Read the Contract of Carriage for the airline you bought the ticket from to see, or try googling.

Make sure you cancel your itinerary before departure time, if you want to think about going the airline refund route. They can probably reinstate your ticket for a death in the family but it's additional hassle.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:21 pm
She

Originally Posted by threeoh
Yes. They'll either pay you the $ value of the ticket, or $0.01 per UR point.

Also note that many airlines allow for refunds even on non-refundable tickets in the case of a death of a close family member. Read the Contract of Carriage for the airline you bought the ticket from to see, or try googling.

Make sure you cancel your itinerary before departure time, if you want to think about going the airline refund route. They can probably reinstate your ticket for a death in the family but it's additional hassle.
thank you. I filed the claim on 11/15 so hopefully I will hear from them soon
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:00 pm

Hello, a question regarding Trip Interruption on award travel. I have the Sapphire Reserve

We flew to Asia on a different carrier's miles paid for with a different card. Once there, all of our hotels were booked using UR points through their travel portal. Our return flight to the USwas booked via Chase UR points transferred to United Airlines....(Used a total of 160K UR points through Mileage Plus for two business class tickets to get home). Unfortunately, we had a death in the family so ended our trip a week early. We were able to change our flight through UA to a flight 1 week early, and they refunded us the change fee.

My question is, does this count as a trip interruption, since I only used UR points for the return flights? And if so, does it matter that I changed the same ticket to an earlier flight, rather than cancelling and buying new tickets? Obviously, the goal would be to redeem the 160K UR points! I am submitting a claim for the hotels as well

Thank you for your help and advice!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.