Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019)

Old May 17, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: threeoh
Overview
Many Chase cards, including Sapphire Preferred and Reserve and MileagePlus Explorer, come with three different kinds of travel protection:

Trip Delay: This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed, for example by weather, mechanical, or missed connection. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

Trip Cancellation: This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference). Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

Trip Interruption: This is similar to Trip Cancellation, but reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because you cut your trip short for a covered reason (illness, etc.). It mostly covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. Exceptions: If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference); it covers charges to return rental cars early to a different location; and covers up to $250 to get to/from the airport or medical facility. Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

No coverage on the Chase cards will pay for new expensive tickets home.

How to file a claim:
- go to http://eclaimsline.com/ , or
- call 1-888-675-1461

Guide to Benefits:
Read it! CSR - CSP

Trip Delay FAQ and experiences

This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed, for example by weather, mechanical, or missed connection. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

How long does the delay have to be? 6 hours for CSR, 12 hours for CSP and MPE, check your guide to benefits for other cards. Also kicks in if the delay is "overnight".
Are delays because of weather and mechanical problems covered? Yes.
Who is covered? Only you, your spouse, your dependent children under 22. For large meals (multiple main courses), people have been asked what portion of the meal was consumed by covered travelers.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their spouse and dependent children.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? Yes.
Do I have to buy the flight that is delayed with the Chase card? Yes.
Do I have to use my Chase card to purchase hotel/meals/etc. I am hoping to have covered? No, you can use any card, or cash. Just keep your receipts.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 1 year. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
Does it cover alcohol? Recent reports indicate yes; some older reports of alcohol being denied.
Does it cover tips? Recent reports indicate yes, up to 20%; some older reports of tips being denied.
My airline is offering a voucher for a hotel, but I skipped the voucher line and booked my own hotel. Am I covered? Reports point to yes, as long as you did not actually take the airline up on their offer.
Rather than staying in a hotel, I'd rather rent a car / buy a walk-up fare on another airline. Will this be covered? Mixed reports. In general this coverage is meant for expenses incurred during a delay, not onward travel.
How do I show the reason for the delay? The coverage requires a statement from the carrier indicating the cause of the delay. If your document doesn't state the cause of the delay, it probably will not work. One possibility is to get a military excuse while at the airport; another is to screenshot the carrier's website or app if it shows the cause. You can also write after the fact to get a delay letter: United: [email protected] , Delta , American. Make sure to request that the delay letter state the cause of the delay. For other carriers contact their main customer service.
Am I covered if my flight is cancelled and I am rebooked on a later flight? Yes
Am I covered if my flight is slightly delayed and I miss my connection, causing a longer delay? Yes
Am I covered at my home airport? Maybe. This report of someone being covered after appeal for hotel in Newark when EWR flight was delayed, lives in NJ but not Newark. Guide says "You are not covered for any Covered Hazard delay that was made public or known to you prior to the departure for the Covered Trip [a period of round-trip travel (meaning departing from and eventually returning to your primary residence) that doesnt exceed three hundred and sixty- five (365) days away from your residence to a destination other than your city of residence.]".
I was delayed on my outbound and claimed $500. Now am I delayed on my inbound. Am I covered? One report on this thread of two reimbursements for two different delay incidents on a single ticket. Chase says "per trip" on the phone, but Guide says "per ticket". So a round-trip ticket may not cover two delays, but two one-ways could. Need more data on this.

Experiences:

• 01/2014 - Delayed in MSP overnight due to mechanical issues. ~$300 for Hotel Ivy downtown, meals, and ground transportation covered with no issues. Benefits applied to AMEX FHR. Claim processed within 1 week. [Full Report]
  • 02/2014 - Flight was cancelled due to weather; booked Amtrak with points, which was then delayed because of downed electrical wires; rented a car and drove home. Used print out from flightaware.com to show flight was cancelled, claimed non-points dollar amount for Amtrak ticket, got Chase (not insurance) to request receipts from vendors that weren't saved by OP. All was covered. Full report
  • 04/2014 - Delayed in DTW overnight due to crew member time-out. ~$400 for DTW Westin and meals covered with no issues. Claim processed within 1 week. Full Report
  • 07/2014- Delayed in MSP overnight due to weather at destination. Booked Marriott Mall of America for $120, and meals for 3 and a shirt were all covered. Recommend keeping new and old boarding passes.
  • 12/2014 - Trip delay in WAS (flight was delayed because of MX causing misconnect and overnight. Reward flight with taxes+fees on Chase card. OP + wife were covered $632 for a for a room, dinner, and taxi roundtrip from the airport. Gratuity was not reimbursed and could not convince them to after a phone call. Hotel Was $380 after tax and this was not a problem.
  • 07/2016 - Delayed in YYC overnight due to mechanical problems. Claim paid out ~$300. Full report.
  • 7/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to thunderstorms. ~$390 for hotel, uber, meals. Claim processed within a week, no issues. Full report.
  • 9/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to Harvey. ~$499 for hotel, ubereats. Claim processed in 7 business days
  • 1/2017 - $625 covered on two tickets on JetBlue award flight with taxes+fees on Chase in FLL. Missed connection due to Mx. Incl. $65 at Walgreens, r/t uber to hotel, uber home, $265 hotel, $180 meal. Tax, tip, and alcohol covered.
  • 06/2017 - $258 covered for overnight delay hotel/dinner. Did not cover $50 to pick a seat on next day's flight. Full report
  • 08/2017 - covered during ATC equipment failure leading to cancelled flight
  • 08/2017 - covered with flightaware showing delay, no direct statement from carrier. Booked dummy return flight on Southwest to 'comply' with r/t requirement.
  • 12/2017 - covered for forced overnight due to ATL "Power Outage". Entire ticket, including taxes, was paid for using Ultimate Reward points through my Reserve account. There was no credit card charge showing on my account.
  • 1/2018 - covered for $500 including hotel tips, a drink, and minibar snacks w/ no receipt (but showed credit card statement with purchases listed)
  • 1/2018 - covered rental + gas to drive to int'l gateway when feeder flight was cancelled.
  • 3/2018 - covered int'l phone calls, roaming cell phone data (submitted phone bill), storage locker, and hotel.
  • 4/2018 - covered hotel, meals/snacks, cold medicine, Uber ground transport for overnight due to weather. Award ticket with taxes/fees on CSR.
  • 5/2018 - covered $250 in hotel, uber, two meals after missing a connection in a "painless but slightly drawn out" process. Had to request a different delay letter because first one didn't state cause of delay. Total turn-around time 40 days including re-requesting delay letter.
  • 11/2018 - covered $300+ in hotel, 2 Ubers, 3 meals; did not cover seat charge or Uber home; originally booked with UR points (no CC charge)
  • 7/2019 - covered $400+ in hotel, rental car, 3 meals, clothing/toiletries for me, wife and son for 24 hour delay; award tickets with taxes/fees in CSR.

(A previous thread that dealt with travel delay compensation has been closed and all future issues with travel delays & cancellations will be handled here. The last 4 posts from that thread have been merged into this one. The closed thread can be found here.)

For one overview of when you're covered and how to file a claim, read this blog post. The Milewriter @ Saverocity compiled a lot of information from this thread, and thanks all the contributors.

Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption

This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel or interrupt because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

Trip Interruption only covers a few new expenses: If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference); it covers charges to return rental cars early to a different location; and covers up to $250 to get to/from the airport or medical facility and from the airport to your home.

What are covered reasons? Illness or injury or death (with documentation) of you or family, severe weather, change in military orders, terrorism, jury duty or subpoena, uninhabitable dwelling, quarantine, or if your travel supplier goes bankrupt. Pre-existing medical conditions are not covered.
Who is covered? CSP/CSR: Extended family: You, your Spouse or Domestic Partner and their children, including adopted children or step-children; legal guardians or wards; siblings or siblings-in-law; parents or parents-in-law; grandparents or grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews. MPE: You, spouse/domestic partner, dependent children.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their extended family / immediate family depending on the card.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? Yes.
Do I have to buy the travel arrangements with my card to be covered? Apparently now this is "yes", you have to pay for "some portion" of each travel arrangement (hotel, flight, etc.) for that arrangement to be covered.
What kinds of pre-paid travel arrangements are covered? "airline tickets, train tickets, bus tickets, prepaid tours, hotels, and rental cars."
What kinds of pre-paid travel arrangements are not covered? "Event Tickets or prepaid fees to theme parks, museums, golf courses, or other points of interest"
I got ill during a trip and had to buy really expensive tickets to fly home. Will I get reimbursed? No. If you can't use your original tickets, this will reimburse you for those -- but new tickets are on you. If you change your original tickets, this will cover the change fee only. It does not pay for fare difference or new tickets. It will pay up to $250 to get you to/from the airport or train station, medical facility, and to your residence after you land at your home airport.
I got ill and need to cancel my trip / return early. What documentation do I need? Generally a letter from a physician or other medical person. There is a special claim form for the doctor to fill out but a sufficiently detailed letter from the doctor can work too.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 60 days. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
My flight was cancelled. Am I covered? Probably not. Only if it was cancelled due to weather or transit strikes, and only if you didn't get reimbursed by the carrier. However, see Trip Delay above.
I cancelled my trip and the airline has given me one year to use my tickets, but I can't use them. How do I get reimbursed? Several reports indicate that you must wait for the unused tickets to expire, then file another claim. You can get the change fee covered right away. Other reports say if you demonstrate you won't use the tickets, they'll cover full amount right now. YMMV.
Am I covered if I'm taking a road trip, with no flights or common carrier? Yes. However the online claim form requires flight info; just fill it out with dummy flights and explain your other documents that there was no common carrier.
I am pregnant and no longer want to travel. Am I covered? Maybe. Generally, unexpected complications with non-IVF pre-26th week single pregnancies are covered. Non-IVF multiple pregnancies (twins, triplets) are not covered unless you get pregnant after purchasing your tickets. IVF pregnancies are not covered. The guide says you are not covered for "Travel arrangements that are scheduled to take place after the twenty-sixth (26th) week of pregnancy; or when any multiple pregnancy, with or without complications, occurs prior to the initial deposit date or booking date of the Trip; or any pregnancy associated with an assisted reproductive program, such as in vitro fertilization"
There is civil unrest at my destination, am I covered? Maybe. Generally you are covered if there is a Terrorist Incident or State Dept travel warning during your trip (Trip Interruption) or in the 30 days leading up to your trip (for Trip Cancellation) for within 25 miles of any place along your trip itinerary or your home, as long as the incident or warning didn't happen before you booked your tickets. Not covered is "War, undeclared war, civil war, insurrection, rebellion, revolution, warlike acts by a military force or personnel". Also not covered is "Trips booked to any area known to be associated with Terrorist Activity" (meaning multiple Terrorist Incidents or travel warnings in 12 months) and "disinclination to travel due to civil unrest [or] an epidemic or pandemic".

Experiences:
Print Wikipost

CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019)

Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Steve Pennington
Always thought my Ultimate Rewards Card was great until I had to cancel a trip due to surgery, the claim was accepted by Card Benefit Services and the airline recoverable costs were reimbursed. None of the hotel or other covered costs have been paid. Seems Card Benefit Services does what they want and Chase will (or can) do nothing to help their card holder, My adjuster, Kai, will not talk with me and all attempts to get the remainder of the covered expenses have been fruitless. The amount is only $301. This has been ignored since July. From reading other posts on this company, my doubt I will be successful but it has become somewhat of a quest. If you are seeking a Card for the Travel Cancellation, and other benefits that Card Benefit Services administers, I would seriously look elsewhere as you are asking for headaches trying to get them to pay your claim.
What explanation, if any, were you given for the insurer's failure to reimburse for the hotel and "other covered costs" -- which were what, exactly?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Claim denied then appealed and reversed

I just had a 2 month back and forth with eclaims and AA.

I was in Toronto, trying to get back to Miami, through Charlotte. There were afternoon thunderstorms in CLT delaying the inbound flight to YYZ due to a ground stoppage. Since there was still inclement weather on the original planned route back to CLT from YYZ they modified the flight path and had to add more fuel. Missed my connection in CLT by 10 mins.

Had to get hotel, Uber (twice) and a couple meals.

File the claim without first reading the fine print under what was actually covered. The letter from the common carrier (AA) on the reason for delay said "fueling". Well "fueling" isn't covered so claim denied.

Long story short - I had to go back and forth with the AA rep three times via email plus two separate phone calls before he finally sent me a letter that had the words "inclement weather".

Once I got that, I sent in the appeal and the claim was approved about 20 days later. Just got the check yesterday.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by kklems
Wondering if anyone has successfully filed a trip interruption for a cruise with a substantial changes in ports ie eastern ports (st Thomas, San Juan, grand Turk) is now a western (Belize, roatan, Cozumel Mexico). This was due to Irma and Marie so the weather portion is covered. The cruise is two weeks away so i cant canel without penalty but the cruise will still leave and sail
for 7 days. However I booked the
specific itinerary and paid more for that than a western. I know the cruise lines insurance doesnt cover changes in ports but private travel
insurance sometimes does. I plan to cruise so cancellation wont apply. I am going to write the admin for the full policy tomorrow but in the meantime what are peoples experiences with change of port calls and trip
intereuption ?
They will not reimburse for change of ports. During hurricane Irma I was on a Royal Caribbean cruise that initially had 3 destinations, and was 4 nights, but got dropped to 3 nights and only 1 destination. They only reimbursed for 1 night or 1/4th of the cost of the trip because the value of the ports cannot be determined.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 1:32 pm

I wrote a long and repeated info and negative experience I had with the eclaimsline, the travel benefit dept for chase SPR on flyertalk many months ago.

After several months and everything exausted and even the chase exec dept refused to intervene and help, my two options were either to take the benefit dept to small claims court for $200 in damage or just cancel the card when the fee comes. I did the later because I have no time for court as I am busy with my family. For me, they were total fraud and denied a totally legit claim and then choosing to ignore all my emails, phone calls and letters.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:07 am

Data point:

A intra-europe flight was delayed and I was stuck overnight at my connection point. The initial delay was due to sick crew, and then further delayed by weather. The airline paid for hotel and meal and taxi to/from hotel because of EU261. Arrived at my destination about 14 hours late.
I bought a shirt (bags stayed with the airline overnight) and a paid for a taxi at my final destination, about $45 total. Claim approved for full amount.

Interesting points:

- The airline did offer to get me to an alternate airport about 200km from my original destination that same night (landing at like 1am) and offered to pay for bus/taxi to final destination, but I opted to wait overnight instead of taking that since I didn't want to arrive in a strange city at 3am. I also opted to wait for the second flight of the day so I didn't have to wake up at 5am and could get a full night's sleep. I was worried that since the airline did technically offer to get me to my destination with a delay of less than 6 hours, that would cause a problem with my claim. However, I'm not sure how they ever would have known that, so maybe I was being paranoid.

- I included a screenshot of my original itinerary, my revised itinerary, and the flightaware page showing the initial flight was delayed, but they wrote back and said they wanted a statement from the carrier. I wrote to airline and got a delay letter that didn't include the cause of the delay. That didn't work either, and I wrote back and got a delay letter that said weather and airport regulations -- that seemed to work.

- Timeline: delay was on Sept 10, filed claim Sep 13, they requested delay letter Sept 22 (7 business days), I submitted Sept 24, they requested delay letter with cause Oct 4 (7 working days), I submitted Oct 4, claim approved Oct 16 (8 working days). Looks like they're running at 7-8 days instead of their advertised 5 days; upthread someone said all the hurricanes caused a backlog, which is understandable.

I'm working on filing a claim with the carrier for EU261/2004 compensation because the delay was initially caused by a crew issue, not weather. We'll see!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:46 am

Newbie - CSR travel insurance problem

Hi, i'm brand new to this forum and this issue but am at my wits end trying to figure out what to do after the past 5+ weeks. I have the chase sapphire reserve card. I have a trip booked for the beginning of January.

I had booked a trip for two to Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands (long before hurricane irma was even named). After the hurricane, the island and resort was devastated and destroyed. After a couple weeks, our resort started putting up facebook posts and photos of the devastation. From this point forward, I tried emailing (numerous times, no response), calling (phone lines are down), and facebook messaging - they would respond but not answer specific questions and would always ask to PM my email or phone number (which I did) but I still didn't receive a response from that.

I called the credit card company to file a claim - they said in order to do so I need a document or statement from the resort stating that they were destroyed/will be closed.

I reached back out to the resort stating that I need this information or some sort of statement on what their plans for future reservations are. The message was "read" on messenger but no response. I tried numerous other ways with posts, etc (along with other guests) and those would be ignored but the resort would post other items on their facebook page.

I called the credit card company back and they stated that if I can not get in touch with the resort, that I would need to provide some sort of news article that directly states the resorts name and the damage. I have searched high and low on the internet along with others and have found nothing of the sort. Everything states the island as a whole and their damage but not this particular smaller, family owned resort. The only thing I have is some screen shots of facebook posts and an old facebook message that was sent to another guest stating that it will take them 2 years to get back on their feet.

I reached out to expedia (I did not book the resort through them but booked the flights through them) and asked if they had any info on the resort. They stated that a lot of the virgin gorda resorts have updated them with their status but ours did not, they gave us a phone number which also was disconnected.

As of two days ago the resort took down their facebook page. Their website is still up but the contact form doesn't help and there is no updates on the page.

If I have the charges reversed I will be charged change fees for my flights (according to the airlines and cc).

The resort has severed all contact with all guests and are now completely unreachable.

What in the world do I do?!??!

Last edited by Melissat126; Oct 20, 2017 at 6:54 am Reason: spelling
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Melissat126
Hi, i'm brand new to this forum and this issue but am at my wits end trying to figure out what to do after the past 5+ weeks. I have the chase sapphire reserve card. I have a trip booked for the beginning of January.

I had booked a trip for two to Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands (long before hurricane irma was even named). After the hurricane, the island and resort was devastated and destroyed. After a couple weeks, our resort started putting up facebook posts and photos of the devastation. From this point forward, I tried emailing (numerous times, no response), calling (phone lines are down), and facebook messaging - they would respond but not answer specific questions and would always ask to PM my email or phone number (which I did) but I still didn't receive a response from that.

I called the credit card company to file a claim - they said in order to do so I need a document or statement from the resort stating that they were destroyed/will be closed.

I reached back out to the resort stating that I need this information or some sort of statement on what their plans for future reservations are. The message was "read" on messenger but no response. I tried numerous other ways with posts, etc (along with other guests) and those would be ignored but the resort would post other items on their facebook page.

I called the credit card company back and they stated that if I can not get in touch with the resort, that I would need to provide some sort of news article that directly states the resorts name and the damage. I have searched high and low on the internet along with others and have found nothing of the sort. Everything states the island as a whole and their damage but not this particular smaller, family owned resort. The only thing I have is some screen shots of facebook posts and an old facebook message that was sent to another guest stating that it will take them 2 years to get back on their feet.

I reached out to expedia (I did not book the resort through them but booked the flights through them) and asked if they had any info on the resort. They stated that a lot of the virgin gorda resorts have updated them with their status but ours did not, they gave us a phone number which also was disconnected.

As of two days ago the resort took down their facebook page. Their website is still up but the contact form doesn't help and there is no updates on the page.

If I have the charges reversed I will be charged change fees for my flights (according to the airlines and cc).

The resort has severed all contact with all guests and are now completely unreachable.

What in the world do I do?!??!
File the chargeback against the resort and eat the change fees on the flights. If they reappear all of a sudden then try to file the claim.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:02 pm

Lounge fee covered under trip delay?

Would the entry fee at an airport lounge be covered under Chase Sapphire Reserve Trip Delay if the other conditions (right reason for delay and 6+hours) are met? I know it covers meals, lodging, reasonable expenses. Lounge access sounds more reasonable than a hotel and meal to me but idk about how it would sit with the claims admin?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by 49penguins
Would the entry fee at an airport lounge be covered under Chase Sapphire Reserve Trip Delay if the other conditions (right reason for delay and 6+hours) are met? I know it covers meals, lodging, reasonable expenses. Lounge access sounds more reasonable than a hotel and meal to me but idk about how it would sit with the claims admin?
I haven't tried it but I would say yes. They paid $35+ to me for gas when I had to change airports. They also paid parking at the new airport so ymmv but I would try it.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:29 am

Had a missed connection and not sure what to file a claim for (trip delay or cancellation) or whether it would even be covered. Was traveling to Stockholm from Seoul. My brother had a ticket directly from Aeroflot, connecting through Moscow. Booked the same flights using an award for ICN-SVO and purchased the SVO-ARN segment. Everything was paid for on a Sapphire Reserve (including the award fee).

The first flight, operated by Korean Air, was delayed due to "air traffic control" and we missed our connection. We had to overnight at Moscow airport as ours was the last flight out and we didn't have a visa. Ended up staying at a capsule hotel in the airport and I had to buy a new ticket since Aeroflot wouldn't rebook me on another flight (my brother's flight was rebooked for him by Korean Air).

Would the hotel cost or my original ticket (or new ticket) be covered under CSR? If so, under which claim? Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:26 am

Has anyone had any experience with trip cancellation reimbursements as a result of the CA fires? We were scheduled to travel to Sonoma County for a half-marathon that has been cancelled due to the fires.

The only possible covered loss I can see under the coverage is "Severe weather" which is, admittedly, a stretch. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this type of claim. TIA.

DETAILS
Card: Chase Sapphire Reserve
Travel Dates: Oct. 27- Oct. 30
Flights: AUS-SFO rt, VX/AS - non-refundable. Pd with mix of cash and UR
Airbnb: refunded in full
Car rental: refunded in full
Marathon fees: refunded in full
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Still waiting for a check on a claim that was "Paid" nearly a month ago on the eclaims website. They had said I should get it in 7-10 business days but it's more like 15-20 at this point. Claims rep on the phone is apologetic, but advices to wait because canceling the check (that is supposed to be in the mail) and issuing another one might take "a lot longer".
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by clyk
Had a missed connection and not sure what to file a claim for (trip delay or cancellation) or whether it would even be covered. Was traveling to Stockholm from Seoul. My brother had a ticket directly from Aeroflot, connecting through Moscow. Booked the same flights using an award for ICN-SVO and purchased the SVO-ARN segment. Everything was paid for on a Sapphire Reserve (including the award fee).

The first flight, operated by Korean Air, was delayed due to "air traffic control" and we missed our connection. We had to overnight at Moscow airport as ours was the last flight out and we didn't have a visa. Ended up staying at a capsule hotel in the airport and I had to buy a new ticket since Aeroflot wouldn't rebook me on another flight (my brother's flight was rebooked for him by Korean Air).

Would the hotel cost or my original ticket (or new ticket) be covered under CSR? If so, under which claim? Thanks in advance for your help!
(1) Your brother is not covered (unless he bought the ticket with his own CSR / other card with similar benefits). Of course if you dined together / have one hotel bill and you submit the receipt under your coverage, it's likely to go through without a problem.

(2) I assume (since Aeroflot/Korea Air didn't reaccomodate you) that your ICN-SVO and SVO-ARN were on separate tickets. I don't think we have any data points on this thread, but I don't see why this wouldn't be covered by Trip Delay coverage. Your travel was delayed because of weather, you incurred costs (hotel, etc.). But I also wouldn't be shocked if they have an internal rule against protecting against separate-ticket connections, even if that isn't spelled out in the guide to benefits. Please report back either way!

(3) The Trip Delay coverage is for expenses while you are delayed -- food, capsule hotel, etc. and is capped at $500. It never (or rarely) covers onward travel.

(4) It's possible Trip Interruption would apply because of severe weather, but I wouldn't count on it. If it did, that would cover the cost of the SVO-ARN flight that you missed (but wouldn't pay for your new flight).

I would submit a Trip Delay claim for hotel/meals, and a Trip Interruption claim for the original SVO-ARN flight, and see what happens.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Have a question regarding cruise and trip interruption.
I booked a Norwegian Baltic Cruise via CSR.
We set sail at Copenhagen and suppose to stop in several ports. One of the ports after St. Petersburg was cancelled. And we had an extra at sea day. Am I able to claim part of this trip because of trip interruption due to weather?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by twkidM3
Have a question regarding cruise and trip interruption.
I booked a Norwegian Baltic Cruise via CSR.
We set sail at Copenhagen and suppose to stop in several ports. One of the ports after St. Petersburg was cancelled. And we had an extra at sea day. Am I able to claim part of this trip because of trip interruption due to weather?
Did you incur any expenses due to the port call cancellation?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.