Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: threeoh
Overview
Many Chase cards, including Sapphire Preferred and Reserve and MileagePlus Explorer, come with three different kinds of travel protection:

Trip Delay: This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed, for example by weather, mechanical, or missed connection. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

Trip Cancellation: This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference). Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

Trip Interruption: This is similar to Trip Cancellation, but reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because you cut your trip short for a covered reason (illness, etc.). It mostly covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. Exceptions: If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference); it covers charges to return rental cars early to a different location; and covers up to $250 to get to/from the airport or medical facility. Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

No coverage on the Chase cards will pay for new expensive tickets home.

How to file a claim:
- go to http://eclaimsline.com/ , or
- call 1-888-675-1461

Guide to Benefits:
Read it! CSR - CSP

Trip Delay FAQ and experiences

This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed, for example by weather, mechanical, or missed connection. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

How long does the delay have to be? 6 hours for CSR, 12 hours for CSP and MPE, check your guide to benefits for other cards. Also kicks in if the delay is "overnight".
Are delays because of weather and mechanical problems covered? Yes.
Who is covered? Only you, your spouse, your dependent children under 22. For large meals (multiple main courses), people have been asked what portion of the meal was consumed by covered travelers.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their spouse and dependent children.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? Yes.
Do I have to buy the flight that is delayed with the Chase card? Yes.
Do I have to use my Chase card to purchase hotel/meals/etc. I am hoping to have covered? No, you can use any card, or cash. Just keep your receipts.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 1 year. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
Does it cover alcohol? Recent reports indicate yes; some older reports of alcohol being denied.
Does it cover tips? Recent reports indicate yes, up to 20%; some older reports of tips being denied.
My airline is offering a voucher for a hotel, but I skipped the voucher line and booked my own hotel. Am I covered? Reports point to yes, as long as you did not actually take the airline up on their offer.
Rather than staying in a hotel, I'd rather rent a car / buy a walk-up fare on another airline. Will this be covered? Mixed reports. In general this coverage is meant for expenses incurred during a delay, not onward travel.
How do I show the reason for the delay? The coverage requires a statement from the carrier indicating the cause of the delay. If your document doesn't state the cause of the delay, it probably will not work. One possibility is to get a military excuse while at the airport; another is to screenshot the carrier's website or app if it shows the cause. You can also write after the fact to get a delay letter: United: [email protected] , Delta , American. Make sure to request that the delay letter state the cause of the delay. For other carriers contact their main customer service.
Am I covered if my flight is cancelled and I am rebooked on a later flight? Yes
Am I covered if my flight is slightly delayed and I miss my connection, causing a longer delay? Yes
Am I covered at my home airport? Maybe. This report of someone being covered after appeal for hotel in Newark when EWR flight was delayed, lives in NJ but not Newark. Guide says "You are not covered for any Covered Hazard delay that was made public or known to you prior to the departure for the Covered Trip [a period of round-trip travel (meaning departing from and eventually returning to your primary residence) that doesn’t exceed three hundred and sixty- five (365) days away from your residence to a destination other than your city of residence.]".
I was delayed on my outbound and claimed $500. Now am I delayed on my inbound. Am I covered? One report on this thread of two reimbursements for two different delay incidents on a single ticket. Chase says "per trip" on the phone, but Guide says "per ticket". So a round-trip ticket may not cover two delays, but two one-ways could. Need more data on this.

Experiences:

• 01/2014 - Delayed in MSP overnight due to mechanical issues. ~$300 for Hotel Ivy downtown, meals, and ground transportation covered with no issues. Benefits applied to AMEX FHR. Claim processed within 1 week. [Full Report]
  • 02/2014 - Flight was cancelled due to weather; booked Amtrak with points, which was then delayed because of downed electrical wires; rented a car and drove home. Used print out from flightaware.com to show flight was cancelled, claimed non-points dollar amount for Amtrak ticket, got Chase (not insurance) to request receipts from vendors that weren't saved by OP. All was covered. Full report
  • 04/2014 - Delayed in DTW overnight due to crew member time-out. ~$400 for DTW Westin and meals covered with no issues. Claim processed within 1 week. Full Report
  • 07/2014- Delayed in MSP overnight due to weather at destination. Booked Marriott Mall of America for $120, and meals for 3 and a shirt were all covered. Recommend keeping new and old boarding passes.
  • 12/2014 - Trip delay in WAS (flight was delayed because of MX causing misconnect and overnight. Reward flight with taxes+fees on Chase card. OP + wife were covered $632 for a for a room, dinner, and taxi roundtrip from the airport. Gratuity was not reimbursed and could not convince them to after a phone call. Hotel Was $380 after tax and this was not a problem.
  • 07/2016 - Delayed in YYC overnight due to mechanical problems. Claim paid out ~$300. Full report.
  • 7/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to thunderstorms. ~$390 for hotel, uber, meals. Claim processed within a week, no issues. Full report.
  • 9/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to Harvey. ~$499 for hotel, ubereats. Claim processed in 7 business days
  • 1/2017 - $625 covered on two tickets on JetBlue award flight with taxes+fees on Chase in FLL. Missed connection due to Mx. Incl. $65 at Walgreens, r/t uber to hotel, uber home, $265 hotel, $180 meal. Tax, tip, and alcohol covered.
  • 06/2017 - $258 covered for overnight delay hotel/dinner. Did not cover $50 to pick a seat on next day's flight. Full report
  • 08/2017 - covered during ATC equipment failure leading to cancelled flight
  • 08/2017 - covered with flightaware showing delay, no direct statement from carrier. Booked dummy return flight on Southwest to 'comply' with r/t requirement.
  • 12/2017 - covered for forced overnight due to ATL "Power Outage". Entire ticket, including taxes, was paid for using Ultimate Reward points through my Reserve account. There was no credit card charge showing on my account.
  • 1/2018 - covered for $500 including hotel tips, a drink, and minibar snacks w/ no receipt (but showed credit card statement with purchases listed)
  • 1/2018 - covered rental + gas to drive to int'l gateway when feeder flight was cancelled.
  • 3/2018 - covered int'l phone calls, roaming cell phone data (submitted phone bill), storage locker, and hotel.
  • 4/2018 - covered hotel, meals/snacks, cold medicine, Uber ground transport for overnight due to weather. Award ticket with taxes/fees on CSR.
  • 5/2018 - covered $250 in hotel, uber, two meals after missing a connection in a "painless but slightly drawn out" process. Had to request a different delay letter because first one didn't state cause of delay. Total turn-around time 40 days including re-requesting delay letter.
  • 11/2018 - covered $300+ in hotel, 2 Ubers, 3 meals; did not cover seat charge or Uber home; originally booked with UR points (no CC charge)
  • 7/2019 - covered $400+ in hotel, rental car, 3 meals, clothing/toiletries for me, wife and son for 24 hour delay; award tickets with taxes/fees in CSR.

(A previous thread that dealt with travel delay compensation has been closed and all future issues with travel delays & cancellations will be handled here. The last 4 posts from that thread have been merged into this one. The closed thread can be found here.)

For one overview of when you're covered and how to file a claim, read this blog post. The Milewriter @ Saverocity compiled a lot of information from this thread, and thanks all the contributors.

Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption

This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel or interrupt because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

Trip Interruption only covers a few new expenses: If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference); it covers charges to return rental cars early to a different location; and covers up to $250 to get to/from the airport or medical facility and from the airport to your home.

What are covered reasons? Illness or injury or death (with documentation) of you or family, severe weather, change in military orders, terrorism, jury duty or subpoena, uninhabitable dwelling, quarantine, or if your travel supplier goes bankrupt. Pre-existing medical conditions are not covered.
Who is covered? CSP/CSR: Extended family: You, your Spouse or Domestic Partner and their children, including adopted children or step-children; legal guardians or wards; siblings or siblings-in-law; parents or parents-in-law; grandparents or grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews. MPE: You, spouse/domestic partner, dependent children.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their extended family / immediate family depending on the card.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? Yes.
Do I have to buy the travel arrangements with my card to be covered? Apparently now this is "yes", you have to pay for "some portion" of each travel arrangement (hotel, flight, etc.) for that arrangement to be covered.
What kinds of pre-paid travel arrangements are covered? "airline tickets, train tickets, bus tickets, prepaid tours, hotels, and rental cars."
What kinds of pre-paid travel arrangements are not covered? "Event Tickets or prepaid fees to theme parks, museums, golf courses, or other points of interest"
I got ill during a trip and had to buy really expensive tickets to fly home. Will I get reimbursed? No. If you can't use your original tickets, this will reimburse you for those -- but new tickets are on you. If you change your original tickets, this will cover the change fee only. It does not pay for fare difference or new tickets. It will pay up to $250 to get you to/from the airport or train station, medical facility, and to your residence after you land at your home airport.
I got ill and need to cancel my trip / return early. What documentation do I need? Generally a letter from a physician or other medical person. There is a special claim form for the doctor to fill out but a sufficiently detailed letter from the doctor can work too.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 60 days. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
My flight was cancelled. Am I covered? Probably not. Only if it was cancelled due to weather or transit strikes, and only if you didn't get reimbursed by the carrier. However, see Trip Delay above.
I cancelled my trip and the airline has given me one year to use my tickets, but I can't use them. How do I get reimbursed? Several reports indicate that you must wait for the unused tickets to expire, then file another claim. You can get the change fee covered right away. Other reports say if you demonstrate you won't use the tickets, they'll cover full amount right now. YMMV.
Am I covered if I'm taking a road trip, with no flights or common carrier? Yes. However the online claim form requires flight info; just fill it out with dummy flights and explain your other documents that there was no common carrier.
I am pregnant and no longer want to travel. Am I covered? Maybe. Generally, unexpected complications with non-IVF pre-26th week single pregnancies are covered. Non-IVF multiple pregnancies (twins, triplets) are not covered unless you get pregnant after purchasing your tickets. IVF pregnancies are not covered. The guide says you are not covered for "Travel arrangements that are scheduled to take place after the twenty-sixth (26th) week of pregnancy; or when any multiple pregnancy, with or without complications, occurs prior to the initial deposit date or booking date of the Trip; or any pregnancy associated with an assisted reproductive program, such as in vitro fertilization"
There is civil unrest at my destination, am I covered? Maybe. Generally you are covered if there is a Terrorist Incident or State Dept travel warning during your trip (Trip Interruption) or in the 30 days leading up to your trip (for Trip Cancellation) for within 25 miles of any place along your trip itinerary or your home, as long as the incident or warning didn't happen before you booked your tickets. Not covered is "War, undeclared war, civil war, insurrection, rebellion, revolution, warlike acts by a military force or personnel". Also not covered is "Trips booked to any area known to be associated with Terrorist Activity" (meaning multiple Terrorist Incidents or travel warnings in 12 months) and "disinclination to travel due to civil unrest [or] an epidemic or pandemic".

Experiences:
Print Wikipost

CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by shuuy
Unable to travel due to an unforeseen medical emergency (with medical certificate in hand). No pre-existing condition

Been able to cancel the hotel bookings on points without issue. One hotel was pre-paid and so will be filing for that.
The flights I paid using airline points, and charged taxes to my CSP.
I know I'll be able to get the taxes back, but there will be a "points fee" (~5-10k / person) that I have to pay.

QUESTION: would Chase "reimburse" the points that I have to pay?
"If any or all of the Covered Trip was paid for using redeemable Rewards, the Company will reimburse the Insured Person for Rewards used. The Company’s reimbursement shall equal the monetary value of the redemption through the Common Carrier, Tour Operator, Travel Agency, or Travel Supplier up to the Benefit Amount. If the monetary value of the redemption does not appear on the Insured Person’s itinerary or redemption confirmation issued by the Common Carrier, Rewards program manager, Tour Operator, Travel Agency, or Travel Supplier the Company will reimburse the Insured Person ($.01) per point redeemed up to the Insured Person’s Benefit Amount."

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
We have an upcoming trip into CUN and out of CZM, award tickets on UA metal ticketed via ANA. $90pp award fees and taxes paid with CSR. We will be taking the ferry from Playa del Carmen the morning of our flight out of CZM. Yesterday the ferry was suspended due to winds and rough seas. If this should happen on the morning of our departure, what can we expect from CSR travel insurance? It would mean an additional night(s?) of hotel and change fee for air tickets. Assuming UA will accommodate us without additional points via ANA.
A few complexities:

Trip Delay will pay for your additional night of hotel and meals, but only if you bought the ferry tickets with your CSR and only if you can get a written statement from the ferry operator stating the reason for the delay or cancellation. They might not be selling tickets if they know the weather will be bad; they may not accept CC; and you may have trouble getting a written statement out of them.

Trip delay will not pay for any change fees or new flights.

Trip Cancellation/Interruption will pay for change fees on your flight. Be prepared to demonstrate the ferry was cancelled for inclement weather.

If you're going to miss your flight you have three options:

(1) Call the ticketing carrier NH ahead of time, pay any change fees (depending on status, or maybe they'd waive if you explain about the ferry), and rebook for another flight, either next day or out of CUN/MID. This is the proactive option. Difference of fare is on you, change fee gets reimbursed by CSR insurance.

(2) Call the operating carrier UA / arrive at the airport late and ask the be reaccommodated. Technically you are their problem because they are the operating carrier and it's a day-of issue, but technically they could also tell you tough luck, it's your responsibility to get to the airport on time. In reality if the ferry is cancelled they will likely try to be helpful, though a person on the phone in India may not understand what is going on. They also may be willing to reaccommodate you out of CUN/MID for free or for a change fee instead. Again, the insurance will pay change fee but not difference in fare.

(3) Cancel your flight entirely (cancellation / change fee paid for by CSR, NH points re-imbursed to you by airline) and book new flights (on you) for a calmer day or different airport.
shuuy likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by threeoh
"If any or all of the Covered Trip was paid for using redeemable Rewards, the Company will reimburse the Insured Person for Rewards used. The Company’s reimbursement shall equal the monetary value of the redemption through the Common Carrier, Tour Operator, Travel Agency, or Travel Supplier up to the Benefit Amount. If the monetary value of the redemption does not appear on the Insured Person’s itinerary or redemption confirmation issued by the Common Carrier, Rewards program manager, Tour Operator, Travel Agency, or Travel Supplier the Company will reimburse the Insured Person ($.01) per point redeemed up to the Insured Person’s Benefit Amount."

A few complexities:

Trip Delay will pay for your additional night of hotel and meals, but only if you bought the ferry tickets with your CSR and only if you can get a written statement from the ferry operator stating the reason for the delay or cancellation. They might not be selling tickets if they know the weather will be bad; they may not accept CC; and you may have trouble getting a written statement out of them.

Trip delay will not pay for any change fees or new flights.

Trip Cancellation/Interruption will pay for change fees on your flight. Be prepared to demonstrate the ferry was cancelled for inclement weather.

If you're going to miss your flight you have three options:

(1) Call the ticketing carrier NH ahead of time, pay any change fees (depending on status, or maybe they'd waive if you explain about the ferry), and rebook for another flight, either next day or out of CUN/MID. This is the proactive option. Difference of fare is on you, change fee gets reimbursed by CSR insurance.

(2) Call the operating carrier UA / arrive at the airport late and ask the be reaccommodated. Technically you are their problem because they are the operating carrier and it's a day-of issue, but technically they could also tell you tough luck, it's your responsibility to get to the airport on time. In reality if the ferry is cancelled they will likely try to be helpful, though a person on the phone in India may not understand what is going on. They also may be willing to reaccommodate you out of CUN/MID for free or for a change fee instead. Again, the insurance will pay change fee but not difference in fare.

(3) Cancel your flight entirely (cancellation / change fee paid for by CSR, NH points re-imbursed to you by airline) and book new flights (on you) for a calmer day or different airport.
THANK YOU for laying this out so clearly. Much appreciated. I think we will buy the ferry ticket the day before (w/ CSR as they do take cc) so that we are covered for the extra night at hotel in the rare event of a ferry suspension. When and if this happens, I'll plan to call UA first and hope they will rebook; if not, I'll call ANA to see what they can do. I've actually had great luck with twitter DM and airline rebooking in SNAFU situations. But it sounds like at least I have some options. I don't think #3 is as feasible b/c our tix were RT on ANA and they don't even do OW for international UA so not sure how they'd reimburse that half.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:39 am

Just submitted $846.50 claim. Two people, forced overnight at ORD due snow. BA award tickets, but taxes purchased with card. Expense breakdown includes:

1) Hotel - I'm confident (I've had success with claims in the past)
2) Meal - itemized including alcohol. I'm confident (I've had success with claims in the past).
3) Uber to/from restaurant - less confident, but there was a 4 hour wait for tables at the ORD Hilton. No way were going to stick that out.
4) Uber from LGA to HPN - least confident. AA couldn't get us back to originally-ticketed HPN for several days, so we had no choice but to accept LGA.

So, if anyone has experience with Uber charges as described, I'd be interested. If not, no biggie.

Best to all - Jamie
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Just submitted $846.50 claim. Two people, forced overnight at ORD due snow. BA award tickets, but taxes purchased with card. Expense breakdown includes:

2) Meal - itemized including alcohol. I'm confident (I've had success with claims in the past).
3) Uber to/from restaurant - less confident, but there was a 4 hour wait for tables at the ORD Hilton. No way were going to stick that out.
4) Uber from LGA to HPN - least confident. AA couldn't get us back to originally-ticketed HPN for several days, so we had no choice but to accept LGA.

So, if anyone has experience with Uber charges as described, I'd be interested. If not, no biggie.

Best to all - Jamie
Except for one isolated report https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30447800-post813.html where a $90 uber home after the was not covered, the taxi home after the delayed flight is usually covered. I've had $70-$90 trips covered no problem.

I've also had taxi between SHA and PVG covered when my SHA flight was cancelled and I had to go to PVG for the replacement flight...so kind of your situation in reverse.

I don't know how much your uber to HPN was but if it was less than the cap I would expect it to be covered. I guess they could argue it was onward travel, not part of the delay, but again I'd expect it to be covered.

I and others have had all taxis to/from restaurants during the delay covered....though you could run into trouble if the taxis were before your original flight (but after you learned of the delay). That seems to be a grey area. So if you're at the airport at 7pm and learn your 10pm flight is cancelled and take a taxi to the hotel and then another one out to dinner before 10pm, that would be something to watch out for.

I think with a $500 cap they aren't too interested in arguing that this or that taxi trip wasn't necessary. I think they are a little tighter on clothes and other things you could theoretically re-sell.
jamienbaker likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker

Best to all - Jamie
Paid, no issues. 842.50 so $4 less than my claim. I’ll admit I’m curious, but not worth the time to pursue. Wife joked there might be some calculus where wine tab can’t exceed meal tab at a restaurant, and $4 was the adjustment. My guess is a keyboard error.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:12 pm

Trip Insurance on CSR

Im looking to a trip flights that includes a OW on Southwest and then another OW on Alaska to my final destination. I’m concerned about missing the second flight if the first is late etc. Would I be covered for insurance on the CSR if that were to happen - Covered in terms of needing to buy an onward ticket at the last minute.

Thanks for for any advice!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
There is a high chance that you will not be covered, as the reason of delay will be the key for any benefits. And there are plenty of reasons that a flight can be delayed or canceled because of a non-covered peril.

For example, in the past, WN has voluntarily grounded its fleet due to maintenance issue, which would be a non-covered peril. Also, any ATC hold due to weather.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:13 pm

I don't think you are covered either, but here is the existing thread on Chase travel insurance.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...-comments.html
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Pookynubbers
Im looking to a trip flights that includes a OW on Southwest and then another OW on Alaska to my final destination. I’m concerned about missing the second flight if the first is late etc. Would I be covered for insurance on the CSR if that were to happen - Covered in terms of needing to buy an onward ticket at the last minute.

Thanks for for any advice!
No Chase insurance will cover the purchase of a last-minute ticket under any circumstances.

It may cover hotel and meals why you wait under Trip Delay, and it may cover a change fee if the first delay was due to weather under Trip Cancellation/Interruption. Read the wiki on this thread for more info.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by nsc168
Alright, I'm finally home after 30 hours of travel to get from Detroit to Los Angeles. Now I'm thinking about how to present my case: 2 delays or just 1? I *think* I have a legitimate case for 2 sets of delays (one exceeding 12 hours and one requiring an overnight stay). Here's what happened:

(1) Purchased ticket from DTW > STL > LAX departing 7:30 pm on Jan 28, 2019.
(2) Changed flight to DTW > ATL > LAX departing 6:55 am on Jan 28, 2019. This flight got canceled and was rebooked on DTW > STL > LAX departing 7:30 pm on Jan 28, 2019 (same flight as the one I originally purchased). Delay = 13 hours. During this time, I booked an airport hotel nearby to rest, freshen up, and get work done. (~$55 plus $25 early check-in fee)
(3) DTW > STL departing 7:30 p.m. was delayed due to weather, causing me to miss my connection at STL. Rebooked on STL > LAX the next morning, so this necessitated an overnight stay (~$300 for hotel, snacks, medication, toiletries, meals).
  • So what is the best strategy here? Should I try to claim 2 trip delays? Or should I just keep it simple for the insurance examiner and claim just the overnight stay portion (#3)?
  • Is claiming a hotel room for day use (not for an overnight) acceptable? If not, then I might as well not get into it, and just make a simple claim for the overnight stay portion of my trip.
Thank you in advance!
UPDATE! Based on responses here, I submitted my claim for everything in one trip claim (including the day use hotel) and I was reimbursed for everything except the $25 early check-in fee! The surprise here was getting reimbursed for both my overnight hotel and the hotel I got for day-use. I also got reimbursed for an extra day of airport parking because I was a day late to pick up my car. I'm very surprised and very happy with this result.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:02 pm

Meal Receipts

I'm in the process if attempting to use the CSR trip delay coverage and am interested in how others experienced getting meals reimbursed. I have one meal I am requesting for reimbursement $99 (meal for two) that was incurred due to a clear 6+ hour flight delay... I only have the final credit card receipt with the meal + tip = total... I received a response this morning asking for the itemized receipt which I usually leave on the table as the receipt that just has the total meal + tip = total cost is what turn in as an expense on business trips and the accounting folks seem fine with that. How hard of a rule is it that I need to provide the itemized receipt? Is there a way to argue a way around it?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by squawk1200
How hard of a rule is it that I need to provide the itemized receipt? Is there a way to argue a way around it?
I would have to say yes this time. Without it, your reimbursement will be likely to be reduced.

Your case is borderline because of the following:

You are covered for reasonable additional expenses, including but not limited to meals, lodging, toiletries, medication and other personal use items that you encounter due to a Covered Hazard delay, as long as the services were not provided free of charge by the Common Carrier or any other party.
Copies of itemized receipts for your claimed expenses. For food expenses, receipts are required, however itemized receipts are only required for bills of fifty ($50.00) dollars or more per covered traveler.
While it is true that Chase says no receipt is required in your case (as the bill is $49.50 per person), Chase also says the charge must be reasonable.

No offense - I actually find that a meal for $49.50/person is highly questionable as reasonable, given that the GSA dinner per diem rate for both San Francisco and New York is $34.

Even you may claim the airport food is more expensive, I had a personal experience that said otherwise. Specifically, I had a trip-in-vein trip due to mechanical issue that I ended up canceling the whole trip mid-way and returned back to the origin. I was given about $60 in meal vouchers. Despite I went crazy on the meal because of the no alcohol policy, I was still unable to use all of vouchers but only about $40 of them. That was at HNL.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:45 pm

I'm in the process if attempting to use the CSR trip delay coverage and am interested in how others experienced getting meals reimbursed. I have one meal I am requesting for reimbursement $99 (meal for two) that was incurred due to a clear 6+ hour flight delay... I only have the final credit card receipt with the meal + tip = total... I received a response this morning asking for the itemized receipt which I usually leave on the table as the receipt that just has the total meal + tip = total cost is what turn in as an expense on business trips and the accounting folks seem fine with that. How hard of a rule is it that I need to provide the itemized receipt? Is there a way to argue a way around it?
They really want an itemized receipt if it's over $50. I've always grabbed the itemized one if it's over $50 if I'm making a claim. Been successful with the "total meal + tip" receipt for meals under $50.

Maybe, if both you and your dining companion are covered, you can claim that it's only $49.50 per person and thus you don't need an itemized receipt? Or you can call the restaurant and see if they'll email you an itemized one.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:53 pm

Call the restaurant. Casual Dining establishment or higher can send you. Just had to do this with my trip delay claim from two weeks ago. I didn't bother grabbing the receipt as I mistakenly thought only one airline ticket was purchased with CSR and I knew I'd hit the $500 cap just on hotel and bar bill (restaurant was a non-chain Turkish place in the 'burbs). Later realized I purchased wife's ticket, hence allowance was $1,000 for us. Any casual restaurant can send this to you. Fast food joint, you're probably out of luck. But $99? Guessing that was NOT a Taco Bell. Oh, and if it was, how the hell did you do that?? #impressed

Jamie
squawk1200 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Data Point on Reimbursement for Cancelled Plane Ticket

I had booked a flight on Jet Blue for my wife last year using Chase UR points from my Chase Sapphire Reserve account. Cost was around $215. I had to cancel thetrip due to a medical emergency. I got $150 (change fee) refunded quickly and then was told I had to wait 1 year to claim the rest of the credit if it was not used. I submitted a claim after one year for the remaining $65.00. Chase wanted proof from the airline that the credit was not used. The airline sent me an email that Chase Travel would have the credit on file and be able to tell if it was used or went unused. I forwarded that email to Chase and when I had not heard from Chase I called customer service. While I was on the line the CSR checked with the travel department and said they had all the information needed and the claim was approved. I am sure if I did not call the claim would not have been approved.
Diplomatico likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.