Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments

CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 9, 19, 10:03 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
Wiki Link
Overview
Many Chase cards, including Sapphire Preferred and Reserve and MileagePlus Explorer, come with three different kinds of travel protection:

Trip Delay: This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed, for example by weather, mechanical, or missed connection. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

Trip Cancellation: This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference). Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

Trip Interruption: This is similar to Trip Cancellation, but reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because you cut your trip short for a covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference). Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

How to file a claim:
- go to http://eclaimsline.com/ , or
- call 1-888-675-1461

Guide to Benefits:
Read it! CSR - CSP

Trip Delay FAQ and experiences

This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed, for example by weather, mechanical, or missed connection. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

How long does the delay have to be? 6 hours for CSR, 12 hours for CSP and MPE, check your guide to benefits for other cards. Also kicks in if the delay is "overnight".
Are delays because of weather and mechanical problems covered? Yes.
Who is covered? Only you, your spouse, your dependent children under 22. No one has reported having meals or accommodations shared with other traveling companions turned down as long as you're under $500.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their spouse and dependent children.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? For Trip Delay, Yes, see below under "Experiences" -- 12/2017. (Also you are covered for Trip Cancellation / Interruption, see below)
Do I have to buy the flight that is delayed with the Chase card? Yes
Do I have to use my Chase card to purchase hotel/meals/etc. I am hoping to have covered? No, you can use any card, or cash. Just keep your receipts.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 1 year. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
Does it cover alcohol? Reports vary from "no" to "only with a meal" to "yes"
Does it cover tips? Reports vary from "no" to "only up to 20%" to "yes"
My airline is offering a voucher for a hotel, but I skipped the voucher line and booked my own hotel. Am I covered? Reports point to yes, as long as you did not actually take the airline up on their offer.
Rather than staying in a hotel, I'd rather rent a car / buy a walk-up fare on another airline. Will this be covered? Mixed reports. In general this coverage is meant for expenses incurred during a delay, not onward travel.
How do I show the reason for the delay? The coverage requires a statement from the carrier indicating the cause of the delay. If your document doesn't state the cause of the delay, it probably will not work. One possibility is to get a military excuse while at the airport; another is to screenshot the carrier's website or app if it shows the cause. You can also write after the fact to get a delay letter: United: [email protected] , Delta , American. For other carriers contact their main customer service.
Am I covered if my flight is cancelled and I am rebooked on a later flight? Yes
Am I covered at my home airport? Maybe. This report of someone being covered after appeal for hotel in Newark when EWR flight was delayed, lives in NJ but not Newark. Guide says "You are not covered for any Covered Hazard delay that was made public or known to you prior to the departure for the Covered Trip [a period of round-trip travel (meaning departing from and eventually returning to your primary residence) that doesn’t exceed three hundred and sixty- five (365) days away from your residence to a destination other than your city of residence.]".
I was delayed on my outbound and claimed $500. Now am I delayed on my inbound. Am I covered? Unknown, no reports on this thread. Chase says "per trip" on the phone, but Guide says "per ticket". So a round-trip ticket may not cover two delays, but two one-ways could.

Experiences:
  • 01/2014 - Delayed in MSP overnight due to mechanical issues. ~$300 for Hotel Ivy downtown, meals, and ground transportation covered with no issues. Benefits applied to AMEX FHR. Claim processed within 1 week. [Full Report]
  • 02/2014 - Flight was cancelled due to weather; booked Amtrak with points, which was then delayed because of downed electrical wires; rented a car and drove home. Used print out from flightaware.com to show flight was cancelled, claimed non-points dollar amount for Amtrak ticket, got Chase (not insurance) to request receipts from vendors that weren't saved by OP. All was covered. Full report
  • 04/2014 - Delayed in DTW overnight due to crew member time-out. ~$400 for DTW Westin and meals covered with no issues. Claim processed within 1 week. Full Report
  • 07/2014- Delayed in MSP overnight due to weather at destination. Booked Marriott Mall of America for $120, and meals for 3 and a shirt were all covered. Recommend keeping new and old boarding passes.
  • 12/2014 - Trip delay in WAS (flight was delayed because of MX causing misconnect and overnight. Reward flight with taxes+fees on Chase card. OP + wife were covered $632 for a for a room, dinner, and taxi roundtrip from the airport. Gratuity was not reimbursed and could not convince them to after a phone call. Hotel Was $380 after tax and this was not a problem.
  • 07/2016 - Delayed in YYC overnight due to mechanical problems. Claim paid out ~$300. Full report.
  • 7/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to thunderstorms. ~$390 for hotel, uber, meals. Claim processed within a week, no issues. Full report.
  • 9/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to Harvey. ~$499 for hotel, ubereats. Claim processed in 7 business days
  • 1/2017 - $625 covered on two tickets on JetBlue award flight with taxes+fees on Chase in FLL. Missed connection due to Mx. Incl. $65 at Walgreens, r/t uber to hotel, uber home, $265 hotel, $180 meal. Tax, tip, and alcohol covered.
  • 06/2017 - $258 covered for overnight delay hotel/dinner. Did not cover $50 to pick a seat on next day's flight. Full report
  • 08/2017 - covered during ATC equipment failure leading to cancelled flight
  • 08/2017 - covered with flightaware showing delay, no direct statement from carrier. Booked dummy return flight on Southwest to 'comply' with r/t requirement.
  • 12/2017 - covered for forced overnight due to ATL "Power Outage". Entire ticket, including taxes, was paid for using Ultimate Reward points through my Reserve account. There was no credit card charge showing on my account.
  • 1/2018 - covered for $500 including hotel tips, a drink, and minibar snacks w/ no receipt (but showed credit card statement with purchases listed)
  • 1/2018 - covered rental + gas to drive to int'l gateway when feeder flight was cancelled.
  • 3/2018 - covered int'l phone calls, roaming cell phone data (submitted phone bill), storage locker, and hotel.
  • 4/2018 - covered hotel, meals/snacks, cold medicine, Uber ground transport for overnight due to weather. Award ticket with taxes/fees on CSR.
  • 5/2018 - covered $250 in hotel, uber, two meals after missing a connection in a "painless but slightly drawn out" process. Had to request a different delay letter because first one didn't state cause of delay. Total turn-around time 40 days including re-requesting delay letter.
  • 11/2018 - covered $300+ in hotel, 2 Ubers, 3 meals; did not cover seat charge or Uber home; originally booked with UR points (no CC charge)

(A previous thread that dealt with travel delay compensation has been closed and all future issues with travel delays & cancellations will be handled here. The last 4 posts from that thread have been merged into this one. The closed thread can be found here.)

For one overview of when you're covered and how to file a claim, read this blog post. The Milewriter @ Saverocity compiled a lot of information from this thread, and thanks all the contributors.

Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption

This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel or interrupt because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference). Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

What are covered reasons? Illness or injury or death (with documentation) of you or family, severe weather, change in military orders, terrorism, jury duty or subpoena, uninhabitable dwelling, quarantine, or if your travel supplier goes bankrupt. Pre-existing medical conditions are not covered.
Who is covered? CSP/CSR: Extended family: You, your Spouse or Domestic Partner and their children, including adopted children or step-children; legal guardians or wards; siblings or siblings-in-law; parents or parents-in-law; grandparents or grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews. MPE: You, spouse/domestic partner, dependent children.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their extended family / immediate family depending on the card.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? From the CSR guide: "Covered Trip also includes covered trips awarded from frequent flier or points programs provided that all of the miles or points were accumulated from charges on the Insured Person’s Account."
What kinds of pre-paid travel arrangements are covered? "airline tickets, train tickets, bus tickets, prepaid tours, hotels, and rental cars."
I got ill during a trip and had to buy really expensive tickets to fly home. Will I get reimbursed? No. If you can't use your original tickets, this will reimburse you for those -- new tickets are on you. If you change your original tickets, this will cover the change fee only. It does not pay for fare difference or new tickets.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 60 days. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
My flight was cancelled. Am I covered? Probably not. Only if it was cancelled due to weather or transit strikes, and only if you didn't get reimbursed by the carrier.
I cancelled my trip and the airline has given me one year to use my tickets, but I can't use them. How do I get reimbursed? Several reports indicate that you must wait for the unused tickets to expire, then file another claim. You can get the change fee covered right away. Other reports say if you demonstrate you won't use the tickets, they'll cover full amount right now. YMMV.

Experiences:
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 13, 18, 6:21 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
I had bought a roundtrip flight through China Southern to Beijing, the flight back (Beijing to Guangzhou to LAX) was canceled due to the typhoon. I could not reach China Southern the same day since all their lines were busy. I had to buy a new ticket through American Airlines the next day from Beijing to DFW to LAX for $350. I had to stay one night and ate one meal. 1.5 months later, I got a partial refund back from China Southern due to the cancellation of $250. I submitted a claim under Flight Cancellation/ Interruption for a $100 reimbursement flight ticket (difference of the AA flight compared to China Southern flight), $100 for the hotel stay, and $50 for the extra meal. This was submitted all together. I got a reply today that it was denied due to:

New airfare/transportation costs are not covered under the program. The benefit provides coverage for eligible unused prepaid expenses.

I was under the impression that everything would be covered, but I guess it's only for flights already prepaid and if the airline does not reimburse you (which is highly unlikely, since you couldn't take the flight). So am I correct to think that this flight cancellation/ interruption benefit isn't all that great? What would you guys do if in my situation where your return flight got cancelled? I guess I may have came into this thinking I'd be covered if it was due to weather but now I have to readjust my expectations.
You have no claim. New expenses are not covered. See comments in the Wikipost at the top of the page. Sorry.
tracerit likes this.
Old Nov 13, 18, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
I had bought a roundtrip flight through China Southern to Beijing, the flight back (Beijing to Guangzhou to LAX) was canceled due to the typhoon. I could not reach China Southern the same day since all their lines were busy. I had to buy a new ticket through American Airlines the next day from Beijing to DFW to LAX for $350. I had to stay one night and ate one meal. 1.5 months later, I got a partial refund back from China Southern due to the cancellation of $250. I submitted a claim under Flight Cancellation/ Interruption for a $100 reimbursement flight ticket (difference of the AA flight compared to China Southern flight), $100 for the hotel stay, and $50 for the extra meal. This was submitted all together. I got a reply today that it was denied due to:

New airfare/transportation costs are not covered under the program. The benefit provides coverage for eligible unused prepaid expenses.

I was under the impression that everything would be covered, but I guess it's only for flights already prepaid and if the airline does not reimburse you (which is highly unlikely, since you couldn't take the flight). So am I correct to think that this flight cancellation/ interruption benefit isn't all that great? What would you guys do if in my situation where your return flight got cancelled? I guess I may have came into this thinking I'd be covered if it was due to weather but now I have to readjust my expectations.
Sounds like you submitted a Trip Cancellation/Interruption claim, which doesn't cover new expenses, but only pre-paid expenses you weren't able to use. The normal use case is that you have to cancel a trip because you are sick. It rarely applies if the airline actually cancels the flight -- in that case the airline is responsible for rebooking you.

If you submit Trip Delay claim, you will in all likelihood get your hotel and meals covered. That covers new expenses you incur while you are delayed. Read the wiki above or the benefits guide.

Neither covers new tickets.
MDtR-Chicago and tracerit like this.
Old Nov 20, 18, 12:26 am

Programs: UA 2P, AS MVP, WN CP; MR Ti, BW Dia, HH Au, RR Au
Just had another successful claim for just over $300, on a flight booked with UR points directly. Weather cancellation caused an overnight misconnect. They covered hotel room, Uber to and from hotel, and three meals. Did not cover Economy Plus upgrade and an unusually expensive Uber ride back home after the rebooked flight.

Took about 9 weeks total. Had to submit additional documentation twice: A note explaining traveler's relationship (spouse) and a rewards statement showing that the points were redeemed for the flight. Then I had to try again on the reward statement, since they didn't like what I sent the first time. What they ultimately accepted was a screen shot of the UR portal account history page, with everything lined up to show the award flight redemption with the CC number showing in the top corner of the page, along with the receipt from the booking itself showing the same number of points.

Annoying but better than paying out of pocket costs!
Old Nov 20, 18, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago View Post
Did not cover [...] an unusually expensive Uber ride back home after the rebooked flight.
This is (AFAIK) the first report of this. How much was the uber? I've gotten my $60+ ubers home after a delayed trip covered twice, and a $97 uber to the airport during a delay covered.

The annoying repeated submission of documents, unfortunately, seems to be the new norm.
Old Nov 20, 18, 1:20 pm

Trip Cancellation due to illness

I'm supposed to fly out on Thursday with my spouse but he is currently in the hospital and it is not clear yet if we will be able to make our travel plans, which include 2 one way flights (JetBlue and Delta) and an airbnb. I've never submitted a reimbursement request and I'm not sure what the best way to proceed is (for CSR). We would much rather get reimbursed for expenses than receive travel credit and only get reimbursed for the cancellation fee. Is there any way to reject credit from the airlines and receive reimbursement from CSR?
Old Nov 20, 18, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by mkt80 View Post
I'm supposed to fly out on Thursday with my spouse but he is currently in the hospital and it is not clear yet if we will be able to make our travel plans, which include 2 one way flights (JetBlue and Delta) and an airbnb. I've never submitted a reimbursement request and I'm not sure what the best way to proceed is (for CSR). We would much rather get reimbursed for expenses than receive travel credit and only get reimbursed for the cancellation fee. Is there any way to reject credit from the airlines and receive reimbursement from CSR?
Sorry that your spouse is in the hospital.

Definitely you should be able get the change fees covered (usually $150 on JetBlue and $200 on Delta, so $700 between the two of you) right away. Same with the cancellation fee on the airbnb, as long as you cancel within 48 hours of a doctor advising you not to travel [or the date of their letter saying not to travel].

There is evidence that if the airline credit goes unused and expires in 1 year you can make a new claim at that time, see this post upthread. I think there was also another post on this thread saying that they signed an affidavit that they were not going to be able to use the credit, and the insurance company accelerated the claim for the unused funds, but I can't find that post now.

If you end up not being able to fly, make sure you cancel with the airline before the check-in deadline (and don't forget the return leg). If you no-show, the insurance claim will likely not go through.

Best of luck!
Old Nov 20, 18, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh View Post
Sorry that your spouse is in the hospital.

Definitely you should be able get the change fees covered (usually $150 on JetBlue and $200 on Delta, so $700 between the two of you) right away. Same with the cancellation fee on the airbnb, as long as you cancel within 48 hours of a doctor advising you not to travel [or the date of their letter saying not to travel].

There is evidence that if the airline credit goes unused and expires in 1 year you can make a new claim at that time, see this post upthread. I think there was also another post on this thread saying that they signed an affidavit that they were not going to be able to use the credit, and the insurance company accelerated the claim for the unused funds, but I can't find that post now.

If you end up not being able to fly, make sure you cancel with the airline before the check-in deadline (and don't forget the return leg). If you no-show, the insurance claim will likely not go through.

Best of luck!
Thank you so much for this information. If I get anywhere with having the credit reimbursed I will let people know.
Old Nov 20, 18, 8:53 pm

This is (AFAIK) the first report of this. How much was the uber?
Just over $90
Old Nov 20, 18, 9:28 pm

This is (AFAIK) the first report of this. How much was the uber? I've gotten my $60+ ubers home after a delayed trip covered twice, and a $97 uber to the airport during a delay covered.

The annoying repeated submission of documents, unfortunately, seems to be the new norm.
I was initially denied a Lyft ride home from the airport on a delayed trip claim. I told them I had to take it because if I wasn't delayed, and therefore arriving in the middle of a business day, my friend would have picked me up for free (which was true), therefore it was an additional expense caused by the delay. They then approved the claim
Old Nov 24, 18, 9:33 am

Private B&B closed down, unused gift certificate. Reimbursable?

About 11 months ago, our in-laws bought us a pre-paid, two-night stay at a historic B&B (no expiration date, but no firm travel date either). They paid with CSP. We just tried to book a holiday weekend and found that the B&B has been bought out and is not accepting any more bookings. Our only successful contact with the B&B has been via Facebook, where they asked for photos of the certificates and said they would "look at them," whatever that means; it sure sounded like whoever is left managing things has no idea what we're talking about. We are not optimistic about these being honored or refunded.

Has anyone had a situation like this reimbursed by Chase, maybe under "Financial insolvency of the Travel Agency?" Or are we/the in-laws SOL because we hadn't booked our stay yet?
Old Nov 24, 18, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by SGooMicrorat View Post
Has anyone had a situation like this reimbursed by Chase, maybe under "Financial insolvency of the Travel Agency?" Or are we/the in-laws SOL because we hadn't booked our stay yet?
I would be tempted to simply file a credit card dispute against the original charge if the B&B is unwilling to honor it.
Old Nov 27, 18, 8:42 am

Hoping someone can help me confirm my understanding is correct!

So I'm currently delayed in El Calafate, Argentina due to a strike.

My flight last evening (Nov 26) was canceled, and after checking with them at their office just now, the earliest flight they can get me on is Dec 2.

My original itinerary was:
11/26: Fly to Buenos Aires with accommodation for overnight layover
11/27: Fly to Rio de Janeiro with 4 nights accommodation
12/1: Fly to Sao Paulo and then 12/3: Fly to La Paz

With the flight cancellation, the best it looks I can do is a flight to Sao Paulo on 12/2, causing me to miss everything in BA and RdJ.

So it looks like I have a total of 6 additional nights of accommodation and food I need to cover in this city, and some other accommodations and flights I have to miss.

If I understand this correct, I can claim:
- Trip Delay: 500USD for any additional accommodations/food/clothes/toiletries (YMMV) to cover my costs until I get to my next destination
- Trip Cancellation: I can claim for the forfeited accommodations in Buenos Aires and Rio de Janeiro and also my other flight from RdJ to Sao Paulo.

For Trip Cancellation, it doesn't list airline strike as a covered loss but under the "what is NOT covered" section, they say "xxx is not covered UNLESS the cancellation is the result of severe weather or an organized strike affecting public transportation."

Does the above sound correct?
Old Nov 27, 18, 8:45 am

Also, related but separate question:
I will have to cancel 2 flight tickets from Rio de Janeiro due to the airline strike which I purchased in full with the CSR in one bill. One ticket is for me, and the other is for my SO who is not my spouse.

Is it correct that they will only reimburse me for my ticket in the bill since the other passenger is not a spouse/family member?
Old Nov 27, 18, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by goodtasting View Post
Hoping someone can help me confirm my understanding is correct!

So I'm currently delayed in El Calafate, Argentina due to a strike.

My flight last evening (Nov 26) was canceled, and after checking with them at their office just now, the earliest flight they can get me on is Dec 2.

My original itinerary was:
11/26: Fly to Buenos Aires with accommodation for overnight layover
11/27: Fly to Rio de Janeiro with 4 nights accommodation
12/1: Fly to Sao Paulo and then 12/3: Fly to La Paz

With the flight cancellation, the best it looks I can do is a flight to Sao Paulo on 12/2, causing me to miss everything in BA and RdJ.

So it looks like I have a total of 6 additional nights of accommodation and food I need to cover in this city, and some other accommodations and flights I have to miss.

If I understand this correct, I can claim:
- Trip Delay: 500USD for any additional accommodations/food/clothes/toiletries (YMMV) to cover my costs until I get to my next destination
Yes, assuming you otherwise qualify i.e. round trip, purchased with card, etc. The coverage says $500 "per ticket" but I'm pretty sure they are going to interpret this as one incident and cap it at $500, even if you're missing multiple tickets.

- Trip Cancellation: I can claim for the forfeited accommodations in Buenos Aires and Rio de Janeiro and also my other flight from RdJ to Sao Paulo.
Yes, though you must cancel them as soon as you know you can't make them. Don't just no-show.

For Trip Cancellation, it doesn't list airline strike as a covered loss but under the "what is NOT covered" section, they say "xxx is not covered UNLESS the cancellation is the result of severe weather or an organized strike affecting public transportation."
Is this trike affecting public transportation, or is it limited to airline workers? I don't know if they consider airplanes public transportation, and it's not defined. I read that sentence to mean "if the bus and subway is shut down because of a strike, so the airline cancels the flight". But I could be wrong. I don't know of any upthread experiences either way.

You probably noticed that labor strikes are listed as a covered hazard for Trip Delay.

Originally Posted by goodtasting View Post
Also, related but separate question:
I will have to cancel 2 flight tickets from Rio de Janeiro due to the airline strike which I purchased in full with the CSR in one bill. One ticket is for me, and the other is for my SO who is not my spouse.

Is it correct that they will only reimburse me for my ticket in the bill since the other passenger is not a spouse/family member?
Trip Interruption/Cancellation (unlike Trip Delay) covers Domestic Partners. Here's the definition of Domestic Partner:

Domestic Partner – a person designated by you who is registered as a Domestic Partner or legal equivalent under the laws of the governing jurisdiction or who is at least 18 years of age and competent to enter into a contract; is not related to you by blood; has exclusively lived with you for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the date of enrollment; is not legally married or separated and as of the date of enrollment has with you at least 2 of the following financial arrangements: a joint mortgage or lease, a joint bank Account, joint title to or ownership of a motor vehicle or status as a joint lessee on a motor vehicle lease or a joint Credit Card Account with a financial institution. Neither you nor Your Domestic Partner can be married to, nor in a civil union with, anyone else
goodtasting likes this.
Old Nov 27, 18, 9:52 am

Yes, assuming you otherwise qualify i.e. round trip, purchased with card, etc. The coverage says $500 "per ticket" but I'm pretty sure they are going to interpret this as one incident and cap it at $500, even if you're missing multiple tickets.

Yes, though you must cancel them as soon as you know you can't make them. Don't just no-show.

Is this trike affecting public transportation, or is it limited to airline workers? I don't know if they consider airplanes public transportation, and it's not defined. I read that sentence to mean "if the bus and subway is shut down because of a strike, so the airline cancels the flight". But I could be wrong. I don't know of any upthread experiences either way.

You probably noticed that labor strikes are listed as a covered hazard for Trip Delay.

Trip Interruption/Cancellation (unlike Trip Delay) covers Domestic Partners. Here's the definition of Domestic Partner:
Thanks for the detailed reply, threeoh!

Yes, I read it as 500USD per ticket, as well.

Thanks for the advice on canceling ASAP. I've canceled my accommodations I know I won't be able to use, but I'll wait on canceling my next connecting flight just in case something else opens up allowing me to get there.

Yeah, I saw “public transportation” and although the general usage is referring to things like buses, metro, subway, I'm not sure whether airlines would be considered. No hurt in trying for the claim, I suppose!

Yes, luckily strikes are covered quite clearly under Trip Delay.

Thanks for pulling up the definition of Domestic Partner. Looks like we won't qualify for that, so we'll need to claim for my SO's portion under her sepaarate travel insurance.

Once I get through this, I'll post a detailed update on the claim process and outcome.

Search this Thread