Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: threeoh
Overview
Many Chase cards, including Sapphire Preferred and Reserve and MileagePlus Explorer, come with three different kinds of travel protection:

Trip Delay: This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed, for example by weather, mechanical, or missed connection. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

Trip Cancellation: This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference). Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

Trip Interruption: This is similar to Trip Cancellation, but reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because you cut your trip short for a covered reason (illness, etc.). It mostly covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. Exceptions: If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference); it covers charges to return rental cars early to a different location; and covers up to $250 to get to/from the airport or medical facility. Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

No coverage on the Chase cards will pay for new expensive tickets home.

How to file a claim:
- go to http://eclaimsline.com/ , or
- call 1-888-675-1461

Guide to Benefits:
Read it! CSR - CSP

Trip Delay FAQ and experiences

This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed, for example by weather, mechanical, or missed connection. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

How long does the delay have to be? 6 hours for CSR, 12 hours for CSP and MPE, check your guide to benefits for other cards. Also kicks in if the delay is "overnight".
Are delays because of weather and mechanical problems covered? Yes.
Who is covered? Only you, your spouse, your dependent children under 22. For large meals (multiple main courses), people have been asked what portion of the meal was consumed by covered travelers.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their spouse and dependent children.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? Yes.
Do I have to buy the flight that is delayed with the Chase card? Yes.
Do I have to use my Chase card to purchase hotel/meals/etc. I am hoping to have covered? No, you can use any card, or cash. Just keep your receipts.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 1 year. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
Does it cover alcohol? Recent reports indicate yes; some older reports of alcohol being denied.
Does it cover tips? Recent reports indicate yes, up to 20%; some older reports of tips being denied.
My airline is offering a voucher for a hotel, but I skipped the voucher line and booked my own hotel. Am I covered? Reports point to yes, as long as you did not actually take the airline up on their offer.
Rather than staying in a hotel, I'd rather rent a car / buy a walk-up fare on another airline. Will this be covered? Mixed reports. In general this coverage is meant for expenses incurred during a delay, not onward travel.
How do I show the reason for the delay? The coverage requires a statement from the carrier indicating the cause of the delay. If your document doesn't state the cause of the delay, it probably will not work. One possibility is to get a military excuse while at the airport; another is to screenshot the carrier's website or app if it shows the cause. You can also write after the fact to get a delay letter: United: [email protected] , Delta , American. Make sure to request that the delay letter state the cause of the delay. For other carriers contact their main customer service.
Am I covered if my flight is cancelled and I am rebooked on a later flight? Yes
Am I covered if my flight is slightly delayed and I miss my connection, causing a longer delay? Yes
Am I covered at my home airport? Maybe. This report of someone being covered after appeal for hotel in Newark when EWR flight was delayed, lives in NJ but not Newark. Guide says "You are not covered for any Covered Hazard delay that was made public or known to you prior to the departure for the Covered Trip [a period of round-trip travel (meaning departing from and eventually returning to your primary residence) that doesn’t exceed three hundred and sixty- five (365) days away from your residence to a destination other than your city of residence.]".
I was delayed on my outbound and claimed $500. Now am I delayed on my inbound. Am I covered? One report on this thread of two reimbursements for two different delay incidents on a single ticket. Chase says "per trip" on the phone, but Guide says "per ticket". So a round-trip ticket may not cover two delays, but two one-ways could. Need more data on this.

Experiences:

• 01/2014 - Delayed in MSP overnight due to mechanical issues. ~$300 for Hotel Ivy downtown, meals, and ground transportation covered with no issues. Benefits applied to AMEX FHR. Claim processed within 1 week. [Full Report]
  • 02/2014 - Flight was cancelled due to weather; booked Amtrak with points, which was then delayed because of downed electrical wires; rented a car and drove home. Used print out from flightaware.com to show flight was cancelled, claimed non-points dollar amount for Amtrak ticket, got Chase (not insurance) to request receipts from vendors that weren't saved by OP. All was covered. Full report
  • 04/2014 - Delayed in DTW overnight due to crew member time-out. ~$400 for DTW Westin and meals covered with no issues. Claim processed within 1 week. Full Report
  • 07/2014- Delayed in MSP overnight due to weather at destination. Booked Marriott Mall of America for $120, and meals for 3 and a shirt were all covered. Recommend keeping new and old boarding passes.
  • 12/2014 - Trip delay in WAS (flight was delayed because of MX causing misconnect and overnight. Reward flight with taxes+fees on Chase card. OP + wife were covered $632 for a for a room, dinner, and taxi roundtrip from the airport. Gratuity was not reimbursed and could not convince them to after a phone call. Hotel Was $380 after tax and this was not a problem.
  • 07/2016 - Delayed in YYC overnight due to mechanical problems. Claim paid out ~$300. Full report.
  • 7/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to thunderstorms. ~$390 for hotel, uber, meals. Claim processed within a week, no issues. Full report.
  • 9/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to Harvey. ~$499 for hotel, ubereats. Claim processed in 7 business days
  • 1/2017 - $625 covered on two tickets on JetBlue award flight with taxes+fees on Chase in FLL. Missed connection due to Mx. Incl. $65 at Walgreens, r/t uber to hotel, uber home, $265 hotel, $180 meal. Tax, tip, and alcohol covered.
  • 06/2017 - $258 covered for overnight delay hotel/dinner. Did not cover $50 to pick a seat on next day's flight. Full report
  • 08/2017 - covered during ATC equipment failure leading to cancelled flight
  • 08/2017 - covered with flightaware showing delay, no direct statement from carrier. Booked dummy return flight on Southwest to 'comply' with r/t requirement.
  • 12/2017 - covered for forced overnight due to ATL "Power Outage". Entire ticket, including taxes, was paid for using Ultimate Reward points through my Reserve account. There was no credit card charge showing on my account.
  • 1/2018 - covered for $500 including hotel tips, a drink, and minibar snacks w/ no receipt (but showed credit card statement with purchases listed)
  • 1/2018 - covered rental + gas to drive to int'l gateway when feeder flight was cancelled.
  • 3/2018 - covered int'l phone calls, roaming cell phone data (submitted phone bill), storage locker, and hotel.
  • 4/2018 - covered hotel, meals/snacks, cold medicine, Uber ground transport for overnight due to weather. Award ticket with taxes/fees on CSR.
  • 5/2018 - covered $250 in hotel, uber, two meals after missing a connection in a "painless but slightly drawn out" process. Had to request a different delay letter because first one didn't state cause of delay. Total turn-around time 40 days including re-requesting delay letter.
  • 11/2018 - covered $300+ in hotel, 2 Ubers, 3 meals; did not cover seat charge or Uber home; originally booked with UR points (no CC charge)
  • 7/2019 - covered $400+ in hotel, rental car, 3 meals, clothing/toiletries for me, wife and son for 24 hour delay; award tickets with taxes/fees in CSR.

(A previous thread that dealt with travel delay compensation has been closed and all future issues with travel delays & cancellations will be handled here. The last 4 posts from that thread have been merged into this one. The closed thread can be found here.)

For one overview of when you're covered and how to file a claim, read this blog post. The Milewriter @ Saverocity compiled a lot of information from this thread, and thanks all the contributors.

Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption

This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel or interrupt because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

Trip Interruption only covers a few new expenses: If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference); it covers charges to return rental cars early to a different location; and covers up to $250 to get to/from the airport or medical facility and from the airport to your home.

What are covered reasons? Illness or injury or death (with documentation) of you or family, severe weather, change in military orders, terrorism, jury duty or subpoena, uninhabitable dwelling, quarantine, or if your travel supplier goes bankrupt. Pre-existing medical conditions are not covered.
Who is covered? CSP/CSR: Extended family: You, your Spouse or Domestic Partner and their children, including adopted children or step-children; legal guardians or wards; siblings or siblings-in-law; parents or parents-in-law; grandparents or grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews. MPE: You, spouse/domestic partner, dependent children.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their extended family / immediate family depending on the card.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? Yes.
Do I have to buy the travel arrangements with my card to be covered? Apparently now this is "yes", you have to pay for "some portion" of each travel arrangement (hotel, flight, etc.) for that arrangement to be covered.
What kinds of pre-paid travel arrangements are covered? "airline tickets, train tickets, bus tickets, prepaid tours, hotels, and rental cars."
What kinds of pre-paid travel arrangements are not covered? "Event Tickets or prepaid fees to theme parks, museums, golf courses, or other points of interest"
I got ill during a trip and had to buy really expensive tickets to fly home. Will I get reimbursed? No. If you can't use your original tickets, this will reimburse you for those -- but new tickets are on you. If you change your original tickets, this will cover the change fee only. It does not pay for fare difference or new tickets. It will pay up to $250 to get you to/from the airport or train station, medical facility, and to your residence after you land at your home airport.
I got ill and need to cancel my trip / return early. What documentation do I need? Generally a letter from a physician or other medical person. There is a special claim form for the doctor to fill out but a sufficiently detailed letter from the doctor can work too.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 60 days. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
My flight was cancelled. Am I covered? Probably not. Only if it was cancelled due to weather or transit strikes, and only if you didn't get reimbursed by the carrier. However, see Trip Delay above.
I cancelled my trip and the airline has given me one year to use my tickets, but I can't use them. How do I get reimbursed? Several reports indicate that you must wait for the unused tickets to expire, then file another claim. You can get the change fee covered right away. Other reports say if you demonstrate you won't use the tickets, they'll cover full amount right now. YMMV.
Am I covered if I'm taking a road trip, with no flights or common carrier? Yes. However the online claim form requires flight info; just fill it out with dummy flights and explain your other documents that there was no common carrier.
I am pregnant and no longer want to travel. Am I covered? Maybe. Generally, unexpected complications with non-IVF pre-26th week single pregnancies are covered. Non-IVF multiple pregnancies (twins, triplets) are not covered unless you get pregnant after purchasing your tickets. IVF pregnancies are not covered. The guide says you are not covered for "Travel arrangements that are scheduled to take place after the twenty-sixth (26th) week of pregnancy; or when any multiple pregnancy, with or without complications, occurs prior to the initial deposit date or booking date of the Trip; or any pregnancy associated with an assisted reproductive program, such as in vitro fertilization"
There is civil unrest at my destination, am I covered? Maybe. Generally you are covered if there is a Terrorist Incident or State Dept travel warning during your trip (Trip Interruption) or in the 30 days leading up to your trip (for Trip Cancellation) for within 25 miles of any place along your trip itinerary or your home, as long as the incident or warning didn't happen before you booked your tickets. Not covered is "War, undeclared war, civil war, insurrection, rebellion, revolution, warlike acts by a military force or personnel". Also not covered is "Trips booked to any area known to be associated with Terrorist Activity" (meaning multiple Terrorist Incidents or travel warnings in 12 months) and "disinclination to travel due to civil unrest [or] an epidemic or pandemic".

Experiences:
Print Wikipost

CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Would I be eligible for insurance?

I tried searching in the forums but no luck - hence my ask from all of you. Here is the situation.

- Purchased tickets from MIA-Bogota-MAD using my Chase Sapphire card. We were to get into Miami at 6:30pm 0n the 28th.
- I then bought tickets from MIA-RDU using my Chase ultimate rewards points.
- Found out 2 weeks ago that the Bogota to Miami flight was rescheduled, and we are now getting in 1:30am on the 29th.
- Called Chase to see if we could change the MIA-RDU leg to the next day, but was told that it was non-refundable, and if we go to change it, it is a $200 change fee. At that point, it is going to be cheaper buying new tickets.

So, my question - would the chase trip insurance benefit kick in for me to get my points back?

Thank you for your answers.

D
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Desirees
I tried searching in the forums but no luck - hence my ask from all of you. Here is the situation.

- Purchased tickets from MIA-Bogota-MAD using my Chase Sapphire card. We were to get into Miami at 6:30pm 0n the 28th.
- I then bought tickets from MIA-RDU using my Chase ultimate rewards points.
- Found out 2 weeks ago that the Bogota to Miami flight was rescheduled, and we are now getting in 1:30am on the 29th.
- Called Chase to see if we could change the MIA-RDU leg to the next day, but was told that it was non-refundable, and if we go to change it, it is a $200 change fee. At that point, it is going to be cheaper buying new tickets.

So, my question - would the chase trip insurance benefit kick in for me to get my points back?
No, a carrier schedule change is not covered.

However, your MIA-BOG-MIA carrier should very very flexible after a 7 hour schedule change. They will either put you on an earlier flight or give you a full refund and you can purchase a different flight on your own. You can read the carrier's contract of carriage to find out the exact rules, or just call.

In other words, it might make more sense to adjust your BOG-MIA flight and keep your MIA-RDU flight, even if that's counterintuitive, because you now [probably, depending on the carrier] have the right to change BOG-MIA without charge.
Desirees likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:02 am

Book a ticket via Chase but not sure I would go

Hello, I have enough Asia Miles points to book 2 tickets. I just booked them today but can only get on the waiting list. Since it's Cherry Blossom season, I dont know how many people would cancel their trips by March 26. And I don't know how far down the waiting list I am. since three adult will go on a trip, I'm about to book one ticket thru Chase. If for some reasons, we couldn't get the two AM tickets, I have to cancel the ticket from Chase. Is there any way to take the points back or I simply lose those points? Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by fandi
.... I'm about to book one ticket thru Chase....
Travel insurance will not apply to this situation. Cancelling a trip because award tickets did not clear the waitlist is not a covered reason.

There is no substitute for reading the fare rules. If it is a fully refundable ticket the travel agency should refund the points the same as a ticket purchased with money. If it is a non-refundable ticket you would likely receive a (partial) credit with the airline, which would expire if not used within a year of the original date of purchase, by the original passenger (not the person who paid for the ticket). These are generalizations. Read the fare rules.

Bear in mind that Chase is in process of changing their travel portal operator from Connexions to Expedia, and that might make it complicated (but not impossible) to obtain a refund of a refundable ticket.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:32 am

Thanks for the info. The reason I asked because there are reports on this forum that Chase/Connexion show the tickets non refundable even it shows refundable at the beginning of the booking process.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:32 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by fandi
....eports on this forum that Chase/Connexion show the tickets non refundable even it shows refundable at the beginning of the booking process.
Discussion here:

BE AWARE! Ultimate Rewards does not convert "refundable" tickets to "non-refundable".
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:16 pm

Claim report:

Booked a flight with Chase UR points for me + (non-spouse) SO. Flight scheduled from SHA-PEK-ORD on Hainan. SHA-PEK flight is cancelled, agent says "weather".

Rebooked on PVG-(HU)-BOS-(B6)-ORD. Would have been a ~5 hour delay into ORD, but BOS-ORD was delayed another two hours for ATC, pushing me over the magic 6 hour mark. FAs were pretty surprised to see that our boarding passes were in Chinese.

Claimed these expenses:

- Breakfast in SHA, purchased while waiting to get rebooked which took >1 hour, paid in cash
- Taxi SHA-PVG, paid in cash
- Meal in Boston airport $60, including wine and 20% tip (I calculated it exactly and rounded down one cent).
- Fancy toiletries for $180 purchased in BOS (took a shower in a lounge)
- Lyft home from ORD
- Total was $328

The claim was covered in full.

I made sure any shared expenses, like the Lyft, were in my name.

Hainan, after many emails, sent me a very official looking stamped document saying my flight was delayed for "company plan", and no amount of email, phone, or online chat would get them to say "weather" in writing. JetBlue sent me a delay email stating ATC.

Timeline:

Jul 01: Flight delay
Jul 19: Filed claim with all docs listed in the benefits guide
July 31: They tell me they need "Ultimate Rewards the points statement summary, showing the redemption of points used for the ticket and the covered card number linked to the points", a signed copy of the claim form, and a copy of my new itinerary or boarding passes, which I guess I had forgotten to upload.
Aug 02: I supply the above. For the UR statement I took a screenshot of the UR redemption website showing that the tickets cost XXX,XXX UR points
Aug 07: They acknowledge receipt of the above
Aug 08: They request the UR statement again and "A copy of your monthly billing statement outlining your claimed expenses. This is used to determine the conversion into U.S. Dollars most accurately.", as well as boarding passes which I have already sent them.
Aug 08: I send them the UR screenshot again along with a PDF of my credit card statement showing the same number of points deducted (so the screenshot associates number of points with the trip, and my CC statement associates number of points with my CC acct). An additional wrinkle is my card number changed between the purchase and the claim, which I also explain. I also state that my foreign currency purchases were in cash, so no CC statement available for currency conversion. And I send them my boarding passes again.
Aug 21: Having heard nothing, I send them a request for update
Aug 24: They acknowledge receipt of the documents
Sep 05: They ask for CC statement for foreign-currency expenses again, as well as "A brief statement outlining the cardholder's relationship to the other traveler(s)."
Sep 05: I re-iterate that my foreign-currency expenses were in cash, and state that my travelling companion is my domestic partner but that I'm not claiming any expenses on their behalf, and that all the expenses incurred were mine.
Sep 10: Receive an email saying my claim has been approved for the full amount minus $0.03 (I assume a different exchange rate?). There is a link I can use to initiate an ACH transfer, it says if I don't click the link for 48 hours they'll mail a check. I don't click the link
Sep 21: I receive a check.

Overall, the process took longer (60+ days from claim to check) with much more back and forth that previous claims I've made. They re-requested documents I had already provided multiple times, requested irrelevant info (CC statement for cash expenses, relationship with travelling companion), and the lack of a simple "Ultimate Rewards" statement with all the info they need is definitely a hole Chase should fix. I'm not sure if this is a purposeful slow-walk or just incompetence. They also don't stick to their 5-business-day turn-around goal.

I was scared the "company plan" delay reason, or the complication of having two separate delays, would cause a problem but did not. I'm glad I kept travelling companion's expenses separate (didn't commingle them on my receipts).

However, I got my $328 for probably < 2 hours of work, and it made a stressful travel day a little less stressful to know that a nice meal, stuff to take a shower, and a taxi home were all covered.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
I'm still waiting for reimbursement for a flight cancellation from July 3. Still being processed. Lots of delaying tactics, like repeated requests from the same documentation. Also requests for highly nonstandard documents (eg rejecting emails from airlines and insisting they be on airline letterhead, insisting that hotels confirm that room was not used even though replacement flight clearly arrived one day late).

I'm close to calling Chase and asking for a refund of my annual fee and/or cancelling my card.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by c1mth0g
I'm still waiting for reimbursement for a flight cancellation from July 3. Still being processed. Lots of delaying tactics, like repeated requests from the same documentation. Also requests for highly nonstandard documents (eg rejecting emails from airlines and insisting they be on airline letterhead, insisting that hotels confirm that room was not used even though replacement flight clearly arrived one day late).

I'm close to calling Chase and asking for a refund of my annual fee and/or cancelling my card.
Try a secure message from your CSR account to Chase about this. I've had similar issues from Chase's service providers that were nly resolved after I contacted Chase directly. It seems that the insurer here is doing what it can to run out the clock or tire cardholders so they will just go away. How complicit Chase is remains to be seen.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:14 am

I have an upcoming trip that was paid for using my CSR. On two separate bookings, I have myself, and a colleague on flights to PUJ. The hotel was paid for on my CSR as well, and we are sharing a room.

My understanding is that he has no direct coverage, but if something happens, I am able to essentially "share" the $500 delay benefit with him if needed, correct? The hotel is a non-issue since it is my name.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by shimps1
I have an upcoming trip that was paid for using my CSR. On two separate bookings, I have myself, and a colleague on flights to PUJ. The hotel was paid for on my CSR as well, and we are sharing a room.

My understanding is that he has no direct coverage, but if something happens, I am able to essentially "share" the $500 delay benefit with him if needed, correct? The hotel is a non-issue since it is my name.
Shared expenses like taxis, hotels (if you share a room), etc. should be no problem. Meals might be a problem if they look too big for one person, but plenty of examples here of shared meals being covered. I definitely wouldn't say in your claim that it was a shared meal. I basically wouldn't mention the other person in your claim if you can avoid it.

Note that your existing hotel reservation, if you have to cancel it, is covered by Trip Interruption/Cancellation (which covers cancellation fees or non-cancellable expenses), not Trip Delay (which covers new expenses created by the delay). If you have both kinds of expenses you might have to file two claims.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold
CSR trip cancellation claim

Long time lurker, first time poster.

My wife and I were scheduled to travel on AA from MSY-MIA-ANU 10/22/18 then ANU-MIA-LAS 10/25/18 then LAS-DFW-JAN 10/29/18. I rented a car to travel from JAN to MSY. All 3 flights were booked separately, with the first 2 being paid for with my CSR card and the last being paid for with AA miles. All in Y and non refundable.

Long story short, tickets purchased 10/06/18 and then my wife finds out she is pregnant 10/16/18. Her Ob advised against travel to Antigua based on Zika exposure risk. I called AA reservations initially to address this and was directed by the customer service agent to email customer relations as they may issue an eVoucher for the full ticket amounts, however this was denied by customer relations. Thereafter I went ahead with the plan to file on my CSR travel cancellation insurance. Initially my wife got a letter from her MD stating the aforementioned. This was dated 10/16/18 so I went ahead and cancelled the first 2 flight legs and rental car within the 48 hour window from MD recommendation that is specified in T&C of CSR insurance brochure. All flight tickets incurred the typical $200 cancellation fee and my rental car incurred a $50 cancellation fee. I then filed a claim around 24 hours thereafter (yesterday evening) and am currently waiting to hear a response.

After reading the wiki and through several thread posts, I have a concern hopefully someone may shed some light on. Her MD did not advise against travel to LAS and therefore we elected to keep our plans to travel there. I did not cancel the LAS-DFW-JAN leg and then went ahead and purchased a JAN-DFW-LAS ticket. Is this going to pose a potential issue based on the trip cancellation/interruption statement that applies to you returning home within 60 days? I personally didn't see a reason to cancel the LAS-DFW-JAN leg and then rebook, allowing the insurance company to incur this expense. I'm just trying to plan ahead in case they come back with that statement. Thanks ahead of time for your input.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by GoSaints9
Long time lurker, first time poster.

My wife and I were scheduled to travel on AA from MSY-MIA-ANU 10/22/18 then ANU-MIA-LAS 10/25/18 then LAS-DFW-JAN 10/29/18. I rented a car to travel from JAN to MSY. All 3 flights were booked separately, with the first 2 being paid for with my CSR card and the last being paid for with AA miles. All in Y and non refundable.

Long story short, tickets purchased 10/06/18 and then my wife finds out she is pregnant 10/16/18. Her Ob advised against travel to Antigua based on Zika exposure risk. I called AA reservations initially to address this and was directed by the customer service agent to email customer relations as they may issue an eVoucher for the full ticket amounts, however this was denied by customer relations. Thereafter I went ahead with the plan to file on my CSR travel cancellation insurance. Initially my wife got a letter from her MD stating the aforementioned. This was dated 10/16/18 so I went ahead and cancelled the first 2 flight legs and rental car within the 48 hour window from MD recommendation that is specified in T&C of CSR insurance brochure. All flight tickets incurred the typical $200 cancellation fee and my rental car incurred a $50 cancellation fee. I then filed a claim around 24 hours thereafter (yesterday evening) and am currently waiting to hear a response.

After reading the wiki and through several thread posts, I have a concern hopefully someone may shed some light on. Her MD did not advise against travel to LAS and therefore we elected to keep our plans to travel there. I did not cancel the LAS-DFW-JAN leg and then went ahead and purchased a JAN-DFW-LAS ticket. Is this going to pose a potential issue based on the trip cancellation/interruption statement that applies to you returning home within 60 days? I personally didn't see a reason to cancel the LAS-DFW-JAN leg and then rebook, allowing the insurance company to incur this expense. I'm just trying to plan ahead in case they come back with that statement. Thanks ahead of time for your input.
So a follow up on my claim...received an email today and my claim was denied based on "cancelling due to the threat of contracting a virus or illness is not eligible for coverage."

The MD letter submitted with my claim specifically stated that the trip was "medically inadvisable." Before I call and deal with someone over the phone what options do I have at this point?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:04 pm

Here's from the guide:

Covered Loss means one of the following events that occur when you or
an Immediate Family Member is insured under the policy and the event
causes cancellation of the travel arrangements:
• Accidental Bodily Injury, Loss of Life, or Sickness experienced by
you, a Traveling Companion, or an Immediate Family Member of you
or a Traveling Companion
• Severe weather, which prevents a reasonable and prudent person
from beginning or continuing on a Covered Trip
• Change in military orders for you, your Spouse, or your
Domestic Partner
• A terrorist action or hijacking
• A call to jury duty or receiving a subpoena from the courts, neither
of which can be postponed or waived
• Finding your or your Traveling Companion’s dwelling to be
uninhabitable
• Quarantine imposed by a Physician for health reasons
• Financial insolvency of the Travel Agency, Tour Operator, or Travel
Supplier whose services you booked
I'm guessing Quarantine has a technical definition (it's not defined in the guide), so maybe you could push that angle. Pregnancy is not a Sickness (defined as "illness or disease"), and none of the other conditions are applicable. I'm pretty sure the policy writers were trying not to cover pregnancy here, actually.

You could always try AA again and see if they'll waive the change fee after the fact.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by GoSaints9
So a follow up on my claim...received an email today and my claim was denied based on "cancelling due to the threat of contracting a virus or illness is not eligible for coverage."

The MD letter submitted with my claim specifically stated that the trip was "medically inadvisable." Before I call and deal with someone over the phone what options do I have at this point?
I'd bet that you are claiming compensation based on this clause in the terms:
If a Physician has advised that making the Covered Trip is medically inadvisable, you must immediately notify the appropriate Travel Supplier that you are cancelling your travel arrangements. If you don’t notify the supplier, the Company’s reimbursement will not exceed the cancellation penalties imposed during the period by the supplier and in effect forty-eight (48) hours immediately following your receipt of advice from your Physician that travel is not advisable.
However, when looking at my copy of the terms (which may be different -- you should check yours) I see this (bolding added):
Covered Loss means one of the following events that occur when you or an Immediate Family Member is insured under the policy and the event causes cancellation of the travel arrangements:
• Accidental Bodily Injury, Loss of Life, or Sickness experienced by you, a Traveling Companion, or an Immediate Family Member of you or a Traveling Companion
• Severe weather, which prevents a reasonable and prudent person from beginning or continuing on a Covered Trip
• Change in military orders for you, your Spouse, or your Domestic Partner
• A terrorist action or hijacking
• A call to jury duty or receiving a subpoena from the courts, neither of which can be postponed or waived
• Finding your or your Traveling Companion’s dwelling to be uninhabitable
• Quarantine imposed by a Physician for health reasons
• Financial insolvency of the Travel Agency, Tour Operator, or Travel Supplier whose services you booked
The fact that your canceled travel is nt medically advisable does not apply to any of those conditions as nobody is sick yet. Your deciding not to travel because someone may get sick is the real question here and that does not appear to be covered. I think that's what you will be told if/when you call in.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Oct 25, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.