Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: threeoh
Overview
Many Chase cards, including Sapphire Preferred and Reserve and MileagePlus Explorer, come with three different kinds of travel protection:

Trip Delay: This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed, for example by weather, mechanical, or missed connection. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

Trip Cancellation: This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference). Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

Trip Interruption: This is similar to Trip Cancellation, but reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because you cut your trip short for a covered reason (illness, etc.). It mostly covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. Exceptions: If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference); it covers charges to return rental cars early to a different location; and covers up to $250 to get to/from the airport or medical facility. Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

No coverage on the Chase cards will pay for new expensive tickets home.

How to file a claim:
- go to http://eclaimsline.com/ , or
- call 1-888-675-1461

Guide to Benefits:
Read it! CSR - CSP

Trip Delay FAQ and experiences

This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed, for example by weather, mechanical, or missed connection. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

How long does the delay have to be? 6 hours for CSR, 12 hours for CSP and MPE, check your guide to benefits for other cards. Also kicks in if the delay is "overnight".
Are delays because of weather and mechanical problems covered? Yes.
Who is covered? Only you, your spouse, your dependent children under 22. For large meals (multiple main courses), people have been asked what portion of the meal was consumed by covered travelers.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their spouse and dependent children.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? Yes.
Do I have to buy the flight that is delayed with the Chase card? Yes.
Do I have to use my Chase card to purchase hotel/meals/etc. I am hoping to have covered? No, you can use any card, or cash. Just keep your receipts.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 1 year. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
Does it cover alcohol? Recent reports indicate yes; some older reports of alcohol being denied.
Does it cover tips? Recent reports indicate yes, up to 20%; some older reports of tips being denied.
My airline is offering a voucher for a hotel, but I skipped the voucher line and booked my own hotel. Am I covered? Reports point to yes, as long as you did not actually take the airline up on their offer.
Rather than staying in a hotel, I'd rather rent a car / buy a walk-up fare on another airline. Will this be covered? Mixed reports. In general this coverage is meant for expenses incurred during a delay, not onward travel.
How do I show the reason for the delay? The coverage requires a statement from the carrier indicating the cause of the delay. If your document doesn't state the cause of the delay, it probably will not work. One possibility is to get a military excuse while at the airport; another is to screenshot the carrier's website or app if it shows the cause. You can also write after the fact to get a delay letter: United: [email protected] , Delta , American. Make sure to request that the delay letter state the cause of the delay. For other carriers contact their main customer service.
Am I covered if my flight is cancelled and I am rebooked on a later flight? Yes
Am I covered if my flight is slightly delayed and I miss my connection, causing a longer delay? Yes
Am I covered at my home airport? Maybe. This report of someone being covered after appeal for hotel in Newark when EWR flight was delayed, lives in NJ but not Newark. Guide says "You are not covered for any Covered Hazard delay that was made public or known to you prior to the departure for the Covered Trip [a period of round-trip travel (meaning departing from and eventually returning to your primary residence) that doesn’t exceed three hundred and sixty- five (365) days away from your residence to a destination other than your city of residence.]".
I was delayed on my outbound and claimed $500. Now am I delayed on my inbound. Am I covered? One report on this thread of two reimbursements for two different delay incidents on a single ticket. Chase says "per trip" on the phone, but Guide says "per ticket". So a round-trip ticket may not cover two delays, but two one-ways could. Need more data on this.

Experiences:

• 01/2014 - Delayed in MSP overnight due to mechanical issues. ~$300 for Hotel Ivy downtown, meals, and ground transportation covered with no issues. Benefits applied to AMEX FHR. Claim processed within 1 week. [Full Report]
  • 02/2014 - Flight was cancelled due to weather; booked Amtrak with points, which was then delayed because of downed electrical wires; rented a car and drove home. Used print out from flightaware.com to show flight was cancelled, claimed non-points dollar amount for Amtrak ticket, got Chase (not insurance) to request receipts from vendors that weren't saved by OP. All was covered. Full report
  • 04/2014 - Delayed in DTW overnight due to crew member time-out. ~$400 for DTW Westin and meals covered with no issues. Claim processed within 1 week. Full Report
  • 07/2014- Delayed in MSP overnight due to weather at destination. Booked Marriott Mall of America for $120, and meals for 3 and a shirt were all covered. Recommend keeping new and old boarding passes.
  • 12/2014 - Trip delay in WAS (flight was delayed because of MX causing misconnect and overnight. Reward flight with taxes+fees on Chase card. OP + wife were covered $632 for a for a room, dinner, and taxi roundtrip from the airport. Gratuity was not reimbursed and could not convince them to after a phone call. Hotel Was $380 after tax and this was not a problem.
  • 07/2016 - Delayed in YYC overnight due to mechanical problems. Claim paid out ~$300. Full report.
  • 7/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to thunderstorms. ~$390 for hotel, uber, meals. Claim processed within a week, no issues. Full report.
  • 9/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to Harvey. ~$499 for hotel, ubereats. Claim processed in 7 business days
  • 1/2017 - $625 covered on two tickets on JetBlue award flight with taxes+fees on Chase in FLL. Missed connection due to Mx. Incl. $65 at Walgreens, r/t uber to hotel, uber home, $265 hotel, $180 meal. Tax, tip, and alcohol covered.
  • 06/2017 - $258 covered for overnight delay hotel/dinner. Did not cover $50 to pick a seat on next day's flight. Full report
  • 08/2017 - covered during ATC equipment failure leading to cancelled flight
  • 08/2017 - covered with flightaware showing delay, no direct statement from carrier. Booked dummy return flight on Southwest to 'comply' with r/t requirement.
  • 12/2017 - covered for forced overnight due to ATL "Power Outage". Entire ticket, including taxes, was paid for using Ultimate Reward points through my Reserve account. There was no credit card charge showing on my account.
  • 1/2018 - covered for $500 including hotel tips, a drink, and minibar snacks w/ no receipt (but showed credit card statement with purchases listed)
  • 1/2018 - covered rental + gas to drive to int'l gateway when feeder flight was cancelled.
  • 3/2018 - covered int'l phone calls, roaming cell phone data (submitted phone bill), storage locker, and hotel.
  • 4/2018 - covered hotel, meals/snacks, cold medicine, Uber ground transport for overnight due to weather. Award ticket with taxes/fees on CSR.
  • 5/2018 - covered $250 in hotel, uber, two meals after missing a connection in a "painless but slightly drawn out" process. Had to request a different delay letter because first one didn't state cause of delay. Total turn-around time 40 days including re-requesting delay letter.
  • 11/2018 - covered $300+ in hotel, 2 Ubers, 3 meals; did not cover seat charge or Uber home; originally booked with UR points (no CC charge)
  • 7/2019 - covered $400+ in hotel, rental car, 3 meals, clothing/toiletries for me, wife and son for 24 hour delay; award tickets with taxes/fees in CSR.

(A previous thread that dealt with travel delay compensation has been closed and all future issues with travel delays & cancellations will be handled here. The last 4 posts from that thread have been merged into this one. The closed thread can be found here.)

For one overview of when you're covered and how to file a claim, read this blog post. The Milewriter @ Saverocity compiled a lot of information from this thread, and thanks all the contributors.

Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption

This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel or interrupt because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

Trip Interruption only covers a few new expenses: If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference); it covers charges to return rental cars early to a different location; and covers up to $250 to get to/from the airport or medical facility and from the airport to your home.

What are covered reasons? Illness or injury or death (with documentation) of you or family, severe weather, change in military orders, terrorism, jury duty or subpoena, uninhabitable dwelling, quarantine, or if your travel supplier goes bankrupt. Pre-existing medical conditions are not covered.
Who is covered? CSP/CSR: Extended family: You, your Spouse or Domestic Partner and their children, including adopted children or step-children; legal guardians or wards; siblings or siblings-in-law; parents or parents-in-law; grandparents or grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews. MPE: You, spouse/domestic partner, dependent children.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their extended family / immediate family depending on the card.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? Yes.
Do I have to buy the travel arrangements with my card to be covered? Apparently now this is "yes", you have to pay for "some portion" of each travel arrangement (hotel, flight, etc.) for that arrangement to be covered.
What kinds of pre-paid travel arrangements are covered? "airline tickets, train tickets, bus tickets, prepaid tours, hotels, and rental cars."
What kinds of pre-paid travel arrangements are not covered? "Event Tickets or prepaid fees to theme parks, museums, golf courses, or other points of interest"
I got ill during a trip and had to buy really expensive tickets to fly home. Will I get reimbursed? No. If you can't use your original tickets, this will reimburse you for those -- but new tickets are on you. If you change your original tickets, this will cover the change fee only. It does not pay for fare difference or new tickets. It will pay up to $250 to get you to/from the airport or train station, medical facility, and to your residence after you land at your home airport.
I got ill and need to cancel my trip / return early. What documentation do I need? Generally a letter from a physician or other medical person. There is a special claim form for the doctor to fill out but a sufficiently detailed letter from the doctor can work too.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 60 days. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
My flight was cancelled. Am I covered? Probably not. Only if it was cancelled due to weather or transit strikes, and only if you didn't get reimbursed by the carrier. However, see Trip Delay above.
I cancelled my trip and the airline has given me one year to use my tickets, but I can't use them. How do I get reimbursed? Several reports indicate that you must wait for the unused tickets to expire, then file another claim. You can get the change fee covered right away. Other reports say if you demonstrate you won't use the tickets, they'll cover full amount right now. YMMV.
Am I covered if I'm taking a road trip, with no flights or common carrier? Yes. However the online claim form requires flight info; just fill it out with dummy flights and explain your other documents that there was no common carrier.
I am pregnant and no longer want to travel. Am I covered? Maybe. Generally, unexpected complications with non-IVF pre-26th week single pregnancies are covered. Non-IVF multiple pregnancies (twins, triplets) are not covered unless you get pregnant after purchasing your tickets. IVF pregnancies are not covered. The guide says you are not covered for "Travel arrangements that are scheduled to take place after the twenty-sixth (26th) week of pregnancy; or when any multiple pregnancy, with or without complications, occurs prior to the initial deposit date or booking date of the Trip; or any pregnancy associated with an assisted reproductive program, such as in vitro fertilization"
There is civil unrest at my destination, am I covered? Maybe. Generally you are covered if there is a Terrorist Incident or State Dept travel warning during your trip (Trip Interruption) or in the 30 days leading up to your trip (for Trip Cancellation) for within 25 miles of any place along your trip itinerary or your home, as long as the incident or warning didn't happen before you booked your tickets. Not covered is "War, undeclared war, civil war, insurrection, rebellion, revolution, warlike acts by a military force or personnel". Also not covered is "Trips booked to any area known to be associated with Terrorist Activity" (meaning multiple Terrorist Incidents or travel warnings in 12 months) and "disinclination to travel due to civil unrest [or] an epidemic or pandemic".

Experiences:
Print Wikipost

CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by wmz
I'm also a victim of Typhoon Jebi, but in the other direction. My question is whether any cancellation (even if the final delay is <6 hours) is enough to trigger Trip Delay protection.

Was supposed to fly from KIX-GMP today, but KIX is still closed so my flight was cancelled. Called Korean Air for rebooking, and they said all flights out of nearby airports (ITM, NGO, HND, NRT) were all full for the day. Rather than stay in Osaka and wait for available seats, I decided to rebook FUK-PUS-GMP, which would get me into Seoul only 3 hours after my original flight. But getting to FUK airport required a 3-hour, $200 train ride from Osaka. Would that be covered, or am I on my own here since I elected to go to an alternate airport rather than waiting another day?

I've never used Trip Interruption insurance before, but it seems that only covers existing expenses but not new ones?
Trip Interruption will only cover existing, pre-paid expenses [exception: it will cover change fees on tickets]. It does not cover new travel. I would not expect this to cover you, since you didn't miss any flights, hotels, etc. and didn't pay any change fees.

Trip Delay will only cover new expenses, and doesn't generally cover onward or alternate travel but there are reports of them covering one-way rental cars when short flights are cancelled -- read the wiki. Based on this anecdotal evidence I would say it is worth filing a claim, but don't get your hopes up.

I don't think Trip Delay will kick in if you reached your destination less than 6 hours after your were originally scheduled to do so, but the benefits pamphlet doesn't actually say what happens if you would have been late but for the expense you are claiming, because that's not what the insurance is meant to do. It's mean to cover hotel, meals, and taxi while you wait out your delay. But stranger things have happened.

tl;dr: file a Trip Delay claim but don't expect anything.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
Trip Delay caused by crew?

Hi Everyone,

Summary:
Bought 2 United award tickets with taxes and fees charged to Sapphire Reserve. Flying LAS-IAD-BOS. IAD got delayed from 10pm until 7am.

Question #1 : Reason for delay according to United app is they are looking for a new crew since the original crew has worked beyond FDA labor guidelines. Am I elgible for Trip Delay. Is this covered?

Question #2 : I can't make the 7am flight tomorrow as rescheduled due to a work conference. I can change my flight for free for later in the day. Can I still use my trip delay benefits if I pushed this to, let's say 4pm (ex. buying a late lunch).
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Azurik
Hi Everyone,

Summary:
Bought 2 United award tickets with taxes and fees charged to Sapphire Reserve. Flying LAS-IAD-BOS. IAD got delayed from 10pm until 7am.

Question #1 : Reason for delay according to United app is they are looking for a new crew since the original crew has worked beyond FDA labor guidelines. Am I elgible for Trip Delay. Is this covered?
The benefit managers seem to be sticklers lately about having the cause of delay stated clearly, and yet the guide to benefits only lists example causes that are covered. It'd be best if you can get a delay letter from United (see link in wiki) that has the word "weather" in it...maybe you can guide them by saying "I know the delay was due to crew timing out. Did the crew time out due to weather reasons? If so I can make a claim with my travel insurance. Please send me a letter stating the cause..." and see if they'll put that in that in their letter ("crew timed out due to severe weather...").

Question #2 : I can't make the 7am flight tomorrow as rescheduled due to a work conference. I can change my flight for free for later in the day. Can I still use my trip delay benefits if I pushed this to, let's say 4pm (ex. buying a late lunch).
I have not had a problem when I've missed a connection and then chosen a replacement option that wasn't the next flight (even when this caused an overnight). But I've never moved off of a delayed flight to an ever longer delay option, so I don't know for sure. I suspect you'll be fine: they ask you to submit your original itin, your flown itin, and statement from the carrier about cause of delay. In general terms, we haven't seen much pushback or back-and-forth about what flights you could have taken, just which flights you actually flew and the cause of the original delay.

As always, it's good to spend money as if you're not being reimbursed.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Hi folks.

We have a vacation booked next weekend, flying into Charlotte and staying down in the Charleston beach areas.

With the pending danger of Hurricane Florence potentially affecting the Carolinas, I'm bracing for the fact we may have to cancel due to the danger this may pose (I'm aware the forecast is too far out to predict when/where/how much it will impact, just trying to get prepared). I have flights (booked with Avios miles, unfortunately), as well as two AirBnbs in the area.

Everything was booked using my CSR. Given not all of my trip is at the coast, but 70% is, what is the likelihood that the Trip cancellation insurance would cover all of my stays? Essentially, if the forecast for this storm has it heading to the Carolinas, we will make the decision not to go, but want to get other peoples thoughts or experience of what the insurance covers, especially when your arrival destination may be somewhere further inland than the impacted area you are staying.

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by chris1210
Hi folks.

We have a vacation booked next weekend, flying into Charlotte and staying down in the Charleston beach areas.

With the pending danger of Hurricane Florence potentially affecting the Carolinas, I'm bracing for the fact we may have to cancel due to the danger this may pose (I'm aware the forecast is too far out to predict when/where/how much it will impact, just trying to get prepared). I have flights (booked with Avios miles, unfortunately), as well as two AirBnbs in the area.

Everything was booked using my CSR. Given not all of my trip is at the coast, but 70% is, what is the likelihood that the Trip cancellation insurance would cover all of my stays? Essentially, if the forecast for this storm has it heading to the Carolinas, we will make the decision not to go, but want to get other peoples thoughts or experience of what the insurance covers, especially when your arrival destination may be somewhere further inland than the impacted area you are staying.

Thanks in advance!
Have you called Chase?

There's more info on this page
https://www.chase.com/content/chasec...ance-5000.html

I called them yesterday about my upcoming trip to Osaka. I'm leaving tomorrow. The airport is still closed due to severe damages from the hurricane, but the airline hasn't cancelled the flight yet! They are basically cancelling flights one day at a time. I was told they would cover change fee if the flights are cancelled, but if I change before the flights are cancelled, they won't cover it.

Doesn't really make sense. I don't want to have to wait so I changed the routing of my trip. Will check with the airline website in a few days and print out the cancellation notice. I will try to submit the claim and see what happens.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:44 pm

I was delayed by typhoon Jebi and am wondering if there is a chance I qualify for trip delay insurance due to the terms of having a "round trip from the primary residence." I might be in a rather unusual circumstance and I admit it's my fault for not scrutinizing the details of insurance eligibility beforehand. I'm in the process of moving from city A to city B both in the US, but I decided to take a long holiday in Asia in between. So my flight route was city A (US primary address) -> country C (permanent address outside US) -> Osaka -> country C -> city B (US). Osaka -> country C was where I was delayed. Am I SOL on claiming trip delay insurance based on the wording of eligibility? I'm going to call Chase but wondering if I had a case and don't want to say the wrong things.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by malix
I was delayed by typhoon Jebi and am wondering if there is a chance I qualify for trip delay insurance due to the terms of having a "round trip from the primary residence." I might be in a rather unusual circumstance and I admit it's my fault for not scrutinizing the details of insurance eligibility beforehand. I'm in the process of moving from city A to city B both in the US, but I decided to take a long holiday in Asia in between. So my flight route was city A (US primary address) -> country C (permanent address outside US) -> Osaka -> country C -> city B (US). Osaka -> country C was where I was delayed. Am I SOL on claiming trip delay insurance based on the wording of eligibility? I'm going to call Chase but wondering if I had a case and don't want to say the wrong things.
(1) not sure if you technically qualify, probably not

(2) reports on this thread indicate they don't always / often request proof of r/t travel for Trip Delay.

(3) are you planning to visit City A anytime in the next year? You have 365 days from when you left to return there to qualify.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:18 pm

My wife and I have a trip to the Dominican Republic coming up in October, that we have had planned since April..... She is now about 8 weeks pregnant. WIth Zika being an issue there still, is there any coverage offered by the CSR on this? Flights were paid for mostly with AA miles, but taxes and fees and hotel were paid for with the CSR.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Stalling techniques from Insurance

I had a weather related cancellation from early July that resulted in an unexpected overnight stay in Tokyo and arrival into Frankfurt a day late (where I missed a flight booked on a separate itinerary).

I submitted a claim for both cancellation and delay almost right away.

Chase's insurance provider seems to be employing stalling techniques in the hope that I will give up and go away. For example
  • Repeatedly asking for documentation that I had submitted previously
  • Talking to agents on the phone, being assured that I have submitted everything, only to receive a message two weeks later asking for more stuff (most of which I have already sent)
  • Asking for ridiculous documentation - eg, rejecting emails from airlines and insisting on letters from airlines on their letterhead
  • Asking for proof that no-one was in the room for hotel reservations that I missed. That my flight was cancelled was not good enough because someone could have still stayed in the room.
Curious if my experience is typical?

I'm very close to either

(1) filing a complaint with state authorities - but unsure if this will fly since I don't have a direct contract with the insurance provider - it is a benefit offered by Chase

(2) asking Chase for a partial refund of the annual fee since their inusrance isn't real.,
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:21 pm

I've had some of these delay tactics on my most recently claim (that is still ongoing). They asked me for my new itinerary twice and have asked me three times to submit a credit card statement for my foreign currency purchases (though I've now told them three times I made those purchases in cash), as well as various other documents. Not sure if it's malice or incompetence but it's really annoying. Extremely different than my previous two claims which went through with just my submitted documents or maybe one round of supplementary documents.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:52 am

Trip Cancellation claim question for Chase Sapphire Preferred card

I bought the HK airlines business fare deal for $600 , total of $1200 for myself and my companion through Expedia. Our trip will be in several weeks.

It seems like my companion will not be able to go due to an injury several days ago. He will see a specialist tomorrow.

On the physician medical form , it ask the following:

"Does this travel restriction affect any other family members or travel companion?

If yes, why did family member/travel companion need to curtail their travel?"

Technically, I can go because I am not sick but I would not go because my companion is not going. What is the best way to answer this so that my claim won't be rejected and the $1200 refund would be processed?

Also, please confirm that I can make a trip cancellation claim for a refund of the two tickets even though it is my companion who. is sick.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by metoo
It seems like my companion will not be able to go due to an injury several days ago. He will see a specialist tomorrow.

On the physician medical form , it ask the following

"Does this travel restriction affect any other family members or travel companion?

If yes, why did family member/travel companion need to curtail their travel?"

Technically, I can go because I am not sick but I would not go because my companion is not going. What is the best way to answer this so that my claim won't be rejected and the $1200 refund would be processed?

Also, please confirm that I can make a trip cancellation claim for a refund of the two tickets even though it is my companion who. is sick.
(1) I assume your travelling companion is not a family member or domestic partner. That means only you are covered under the insurance -- you will only be reimbursed for your ticket. You can try, but that is what I would expect.

(2) However, your travelling companion being sick is a covered reason for you to cancel your trip, but you have to demonstrate that your travelling companion being sick/injured "causes" the cancellation of your trip. Here's the wording:

Covered Loss means one of the following events that occur ... and the event causes cancellation of the travel arrangements:

• Accidental Bodily Injury, Loss of Life, orSickness experienced by you, a Traveling Companion, or an Immediate Family Member of you or a Traveling Companion
That's what this question is asking about. Write a narrative that shows your companion being injured means you have to cancel. If your companion is older, maybe say you were only going to help them get around. If you are older, maybe say you need their help to get around. Or maybe one of you needs the other to speak in a foreign language? Or only one of you drives and you were planning to travel by car? Etc.

I would not say "I prefer not to go on this trip now because I would have preferred to go with my companion". I would say something with a clearer link as to why you need to cancel, not just prefer to cancel.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:57 am

any airbnb cancellation insurance with CSR or Ink pref?

Hey

I want to book for my mom an airbnb stay for 3 weeks. I can use either my wife's CSR or my ink preferred.

Do any of them provide any protection fro airbnb stays? If both do, then any reason using one over the other?

Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:28 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I moved your question into the primary thread discussing travel insurance. Use Search this Thread function with the keyword airbnb to find posts discussing if Chase's insurer covers that type of lodging. As always, no substitute for reading the terms of the coverage, which are linked in the Wikipost.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by bklgafly
Hey

I want to book for my mom an airbnb stay for 3 weeks. I can use either my wife's CSR or my ink preferred.

Do any of them provide any protection fro airbnb stays? If both do, then any reason using one over the other?

Thanks!
Some inconclusive posts around Post #150 in this thread about whether airbnb is covered as part of Trip Delay. Not sure if that affects Trip Cancellation/Interruption or if anyone has reported one way or the other on that.

As for Trip Interruption / Cancellation, which reimburses pre-paid expenses if she has to cancel the trip for a covered reason: if she is covered at all, Ink Preferred card has $5,000 limit and CSR has $10,000 limit. Both cover parents and parents-in-law. Assuming the airbnb (and all other pre-paid expenses you'd hope to have covered, like plane tickets) come to less than $5,000, I don't think it matters which card you use.

Strongly recommend you read the benefits PDF so you don't expect it to cover something that it doesn't cover.
mia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.