Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: threeoh
Overview
Many Chase cards, including Sapphire Preferred and Reserve and MileagePlus Explorer, come with three different kinds of travel protection:

Trip Delay: This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed, for example by weather, mechanical, or missed connection. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

Trip Cancellation: This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference). Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

Trip Interruption: This is similar to Trip Cancellation, but reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because you cut your trip short for a covered reason (illness, etc.). It mostly covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. Exceptions: If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference); it covers charges to return rental cars early to a different location; and covers up to $250 to get to/from the airport or medical facility. Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

No coverage on the Chase cards will pay for new expensive tickets home.

How to file a claim:
- go to http://eclaimsline.com/ , or
- call 1-888-675-1461

Guide to Benefits:
Read it! CSR - CSP

Trip Delay FAQ and experiences

This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed, for example by weather, mechanical, or missed connection. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

How long does the delay have to be? 6 hours for CSR, 12 hours for CSP and MPE, check your guide to benefits for other cards. Also kicks in if the delay is "overnight".
Are delays because of weather and mechanical problems covered? Yes.
Who is covered? Only you, your spouse, your dependent children under 22. For large meals (multiple main courses), people have been asked what portion of the meal was consumed by covered travelers.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their spouse and dependent children.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? Yes.
Do I have to buy the flight that is delayed with the Chase card? Yes.
Do I have to use my Chase card to purchase hotel/meals/etc. I am hoping to have covered? No, you can use any card, or cash. Just keep your receipts.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 1 year. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
Does it cover alcohol? Recent reports indicate yes; some older reports of alcohol being denied.
Does it cover tips? Recent reports indicate yes, up to 20%; some older reports of tips being denied.
My airline is offering a voucher for a hotel, but I skipped the voucher line and booked my own hotel. Am I covered? Reports point to yes, as long as you did not actually take the airline up on their offer.
Rather than staying in a hotel, I'd rather rent a car / buy a walk-up fare on another airline. Will this be covered? Mixed reports. In general this coverage is meant for expenses incurred during a delay, not onward travel.
How do I show the reason for the delay? The coverage requires a statement from the carrier indicating the cause of the delay. If your document doesn't state the cause of the delay, it probably will not work. One possibility is to get a military excuse while at the airport; another is to screenshot the carrier's website or app if it shows the cause. You can also write after the fact to get a delay letter: United: [email protected] , Delta , American. Make sure to request that the delay letter state the cause of the delay. For other carriers contact their main customer service.
Am I covered if my flight is cancelled and I am rebooked on a later flight? Yes
Am I covered if my flight is slightly delayed and I miss my connection, causing a longer delay? Yes
Am I covered at my home airport? Maybe. This report of someone being covered after appeal for hotel in Newark when EWR flight was delayed, lives in NJ but not Newark. Guide says "You are not covered for any Covered Hazard delay that was made public or known to you prior to the departure for the Covered Trip [a period of round-trip travel (meaning departing from and eventually returning to your primary residence) that doesn’t exceed three hundred and sixty- five (365) days away from your residence to a destination other than your city of residence.]".
I was delayed on my outbound and claimed $500. Now am I delayed on my inbound. Am I covered? One report on this thread of two reimbursements for two different delay incidents on a single ticket. Chase says "per trip" on the phone, but Guide says "per ticket". So a round-trip ticket may not cover two delays, but two one-ways could. Need more data on this.

Experiences:

• 01/2014 - Delayed in MSP overnight due to mechanical issues. ~$300 for Hotel Ivy downtown, meals, and ground transportation covered with no issues. Benefits applied to AMEX FHR. Claim processed within 1 week. [Full Report]
  • 02/2014 - Flight was cancelled due to weather; booked Amtrak with points, which was then delayed because of downed electrical wires; rented a car and drove home. Used print out from flightaware.com to show flight was cancelled, claimed non-points dollar amount for Amtrak ticket, got Chase (not insurance) to request receipts from vendors that weren't saved by OP. All was covered. Full report
  • 04/2014 - Delayed in DTW overnight due to crew member time-out. ~$400 for DTW Westin and meals covered with no issues. Claim processed within 1 week. Full Report
  • 07/2014- Delayed in MSP overnight due to weather at destination. Booked Marriott Mall of America for $120, and meals for 3 and a shirt were all covered. Recommend keeping new and old boarding passes.
  • 12/2014 - Trip delay in WAS (flight was delayed because of MX causing misconnect and overnight. Reward flight with taxes+fees on Chase card. OP + wife were covered $632 for a for a room, dinner, and taxi roundtrip from the airport. Gratuity was not reimbursed and could not convince them to after a phone call. Hotel Was $380 after tax and this was not a problem.
  • 07/2016 - Delayed in YYC overnight due to mechanical problems. Claim paid out ~$300. Full report.
  • 7/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to thunderstorms. ~$390 for hotel, uber, meals. Claim processed within a week, no issues. Full report.
  • 9/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to Harvey. ~$499 for hotel, ubereats. Claim processed in 7 business days
  • 1/2017 - $625 covered on two tickets on JetBlue award flight with taxes+fees on Chase in FLL. Missed connection due to Mx. Incl. $65 at Walgreens, r/t uber to hotel, uber home, $265 hotel, $180 meal. Tax, tip, and alcohol covered.
  • 06/2017 - $258 covered for overnight delay hotel/dinner. Did not cover $50 to pick a seat on next day's flight. Full report
  • 08/2017 - covered during ATC equipment failure leading to cancelled flight
  • 08/2017 - covered with flightaware showing delay, no direct statement from carrier. Booked dummy return flight on Southwest to 'comply' with r/t requirement.
  • 12/2017 - covered for forced overnight due to ATL "Power Outage". Entire ticket, including taxes, was paid for using Ultimate Reward points through my Reserve account. There was no credit card charge showing on my account.
  • 1/2018 - covered for $500 including hotel tips, a drink, and minibar snacks w/ no receipt (but showed credit card statement with purchases listed)
  • 1/2018 - covered rental + gas to drive to int'l gateway when feeder flight was cancelled.
  • 3/2018 - covered int'l phone calls, roaming cell phone data (submitted phone bill), storage locker, and hotel.
  • 4/2018 - covered hotel, meals/snacks, cold medicine, Uber ground transport for overnight due to weather. Award ticket with taxes/fees on CSR.
  • 5/2018 - covered $250 in hotel, uber, two meals after missing a connection in a "painless but slightly drawn out" process. Had to request a different delay letter because first one didn't state cause of delay. Total turn-around time 40 days including re-requesting delay letter.
  • 11/2018 - covered $300+ in hotel, 2 Ubers, 3 meals; did not cover seat charge or Uber home; originally booked with UR points (no CC charge)
  • 7/2019 - covered $400+ in hotel, rental car, 3 meals, clothing/toiletries for me, wife and son for 24 hour delay; award tickets with taxes/fees in CSR.

(A previous thread that dealt with travel delay compensation has been closed and all future issues with travel delays & cancellations will be handled here. The last 4 posts from that thread have been merged into this one. The closed thread can be found here.)

For one overview of when you're covered and how to file a claim, read this blog post. The Milewriter @ Saverocity compiled a lot of information from this thread, and thanks all the contributors.

Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption

This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel or interrupt because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

Trip Interruption only covers a few new expenses: If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference); it covers charges to return rental cars early to a different location; and covers up to $250 to get to/from the airport or medical facility and from the airport to your home.

What are covered reasons? Illness or injury or death (with documentation) of you or family, severe weather, change in military orders, terrorism, jury duty or subpoena, uninhabitable dwelling, quarantine, or if your travel supplier goes bankrupt. Pre-existing medical conditions are not covered.
Who is covered? CSP/CSR: Extended family: You, your Spouse or Domestic Partner and their children, including adopted children or step-children; legal guardians or wards; siblings or siblings-in-law; parents or parents-in-law; grandparents or grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews. MPE: You, spouse/domestic partner, dependent children.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their extended family / immediate family depending on the card.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? Yes.
Do I have to buy the travel arrangements with my card to be covered? Apparently now this is "yes", you have to pay for "some portion" of each travel arrangement (hotel, flight, etc.) for that arrangement to be covered.
What kinds of pre-paid travel arrangements are covered? "airline tickets, train tickets, bus tickets, prepaid tours, hotels, and rental cars."
What kinds of pre-paid travel arrangements are not covered? "Event Tickets or prepaid fees to theme parks, museums, golf courses, or other points of interest"
I got ill during a trip and had to buy really expensive tickets to fly home. Will I get reimbursed? No. If you can't use your original tickets, this will reimburse you for those -- but new tickets are on you. If you change your original tickets, this will cover the change fee only. It does not pay for fare difference or new tickets. It will pay up to $250 to get you to/from the airport or train station, medical facility, and to your residence after you land at your home airport.
I got ill and need to cancel my trip / return early. What documentation do I need? Generally a letter from a physician or other medical person. There is a special claim form for the doctor to fill out but a sufficiently detailed letter from the doctor can work too.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 60 days. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
My flight was cancelled. Am I covered? Probably not. Only if it was cancelled due to weather or transit strikes, and only if you didn't get reimbursed by the carrier. However, see Trip Delay above.
I cancelled my trip and the airline has given me one year to use my tickets, but I can't use them. How do I get reimbursed? Several reports indicate that you must wait for the unused tickets to expire, then file another claim. You can get the change fee covered right away. Other reports say if you demonstrate you won't use the tickets, they'll cover full amount right now. YMMV.
Am I covered if I'm taking a road trip, with no flights or common carrier? Yes. However the online claim form requires flight info; just fill it out with dummy flights and explain your other documents that there was no common carrier.
I am pregnant and no longer want to travel. Am I covered? Maybe. Generally, unexpected complications with non-IVF pre-26th week single pregnancies are covered. Non-IVF multiple pregnancies (twins, triplets) are not covered unless you get pregnant after purchasing your tickets. IVF pregnancies are not covered. The guide says you are not covered for "Travel arrangements that are scheduled to take place after the twenty-sixth (26th) week of pregnancy; or when any multiple pregnancy, with or without complications, occurs prior to the initial deposit date or booking date of the Trip; or any pregnancy associated with an assisted reproductive program, such as in vitro fertilization"
There is civil unrest at my destination, am I covered? Maybe. Generally you are covered if there is a Terrorist Incident or State Dept travel warning during your trip (Trip Interruption) or in the 30 days leading up to your trip (for Trip Cancellation) for within 25 miles of any place along your trip itinerary or your home, as long as the incident or warning didn't happen before you booked your tickets. Not covered is "War, undeclared war, civil war, insurrection, rebellion, revolution, warlike acts by a military force or personnel". Also not covered is "Trips booked to any area known to be associated with Terrorist Activity" (meaning multiple Terrorist Incidents or travel warnings in 12 months) and "disinclination to travel due to civil unrest [or] an epidemic or pandemic".

Experiences:
Print Wikipost

CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
I filed a claim about 2 weeks ago for travel interruption/cancelation because I had to cancel the return flight booked with CSR because my mother got sick on same day and admitted to emergency. I had to postpone my return and later rebook a week later. I filed claim with chase and sent in everything they asked including the claim form, the original round trip, the canceled one and the final flight and a letter from doctor. After 2 weeks, they replied back saying I should send this and that and they are all same thing I sent/emailed them 2 weeks ago. So I called today and they said I should speak to a claim examinor and they are not available to talk and I should just wait for some calls or replies,

so bad! aint using chase card for these
If the third-party administrator is Crawford/Broadspire, and you are 100% confident that you have all of your ducks in a row, you may have to threaten regulatory and legal action to get them to move. I just closed out a JPMR trip cancellation claim (probably the same administrator for CSR) and the claims examiner played games, claiming that documents were "not specific" but refusing to tell me what information was needed, asking for information that clearly contradicted the policy language, ignoring repeated phone calls and voicemails, and only partially paying out the claim. Finally sent an email to a general customer service email at Crawford/Broadspire and told them I would file complaints with the insurance regulators in Georgia (where their offices are located) and my home state, and potentially file a lawsuit in my county's General District Court, if they did not resolve the claim within 14 days. Someone from the main email address answered about an hour later and I got an apology and full payout approved before lunch. Bear in mind that I fired off that email 100% certain that I had the facts on my side if they wanted to call my bluff and see me in court.

TLDR: bad apples, anecdotes, yada yada yada...seems like the norm of any insurance company I've dealt with, tries everything (even what might be considered fraud) to avoid approving a claim, much less paying one out. You have to be a jerk to win sometimes.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 8:24 pm

Now after 2 weeks, someone called me today and said that Air Canada paid for my return flight even though I used my BA Avios 15k points and $88 tax for 2 for return flight on AA. Just made up a lie as an excuse to deny the claim. The original round trip was booked with CSR on Air Canada. I couldn't return on return date due to emergency issue and AC wouldn't rebook unless over $400 is paid as a fee. so I had to cancel that flight and later rebook myself on AA using BA avios. I sent EVERYTHING< all the original flights, canceled flight and my return flight and how they are paid. The rep just lied by saying AA told her I was rebooked on AA. I told her stop talking nonsense and read all the docs I emailed them including how I paid for the AA flight with my BA avios and $88 tax. I told her bring on the AA rep that told you they rebooked the return and paid for my return flight. she put me on 30 mins hold and didn't bring AA rep and disconnected. Now when i called back later, it was different rep and told me I can appeal. really? they lied or made a story to deny and i have to appeal their wrong doing?
I will file BBB, CFPB complaint for being dishonest unbelievable!
Old Dec 22, 2016, 8:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...they lied or made a story to deny and i have to appeal their wrong doing?
Most incorrect statements are errors or misunderstandings, not lies. When you redeem BA points for a flight operated by AA, BA pays AA for your ticket. A person researching your claim could interpret that transaction incorrectly because they see that another airline arranged the flight. Be patient, work through it.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Most incorrect statements are errors or misunderstandings, not lies. When you redeem BA points for a flight operated by AA, BA pays AA for your ticket. A person researching your claim could interpret that transaction incorrectly because they see that another airline arranged the flight. Be patient, work through it.
You would think they would be deligent, go through everything I sent them and read. The rep very strangely told me I used 15k avios and $88 tax for 2 persons return flight on AA but the 15k avios was given to me by AA first. Remember my original round trip was booked with Air canada using CSR. If the rep honestly somehow still very strangely think that my return AA flight was paid by AA, even though she can see I used my avios points and tax to pay, then she should show me evidence how in writing or would have done conference call, I, the claim rep and AA so I could prove the claim rep wrong. But she didn't do it and now when i call back, another rep told me I can appeal my case. I will try to talk to a manager and see if he would see everything and find the facts and I will surely make a complaint against the rep that called me to deny my claim by saying AA deposited 15k Avios to my account and that's how I was able to book the AA flight.

summary:

The CSR travel benefit is a terrible. agents lying, playing games to deny claims. I will explain:

I filed a claim on DEC 9 for travel interruption/cancelation because I had to cancel the return flight booked with CSR because my mother got sick on same day and admitted to emergency. I had to postpone my return and later rebook a week later. I filed claim with chase and sent in everything they asked including the claim form, the original round trip, the canceled one and the final flight and a letter from doctor. After 2 weeks, they replied back saying I should send this and that and they are all same thing I sent/emailed them 2 weeks ago. So I called today on Dec 21. and they said I should speak to a claim examinor and they are not available to talk and I should just wait for some calls or replies,

Yesterday Someone who introduced herself as Liz, called me yesterday and said they received everything BUT that Air Canada paid for my return flight on American Airlines. She says AA gave me 15K Avios points and $88 first and I used those to book the return flight. I was like what? What's this nonsense about AC booked my return flight on AA and AA gave me BA points and $88 to book my return flight on AA? Hey I have my own BA FF account and used my own BA points plus tax for 2 people to book return flight from YYZ. You can see that in the email too.She Just made up a lie as an excuse to deny the claim. The original round trip was booked with my Chase credit card points on Air Canada. I couldn't return on return date due to emergency issue with my mother and Air Canada wouldn't re-book my return flight. So I had purchase a new flight tickets on American Airlines using my 15000 British Airways avios points & $88 plus in taxes. I have sent you guys EVERYTHING ,all the original flights, canceled flight and my return flight and how they are paid. The rep Liz just lied by saying AA told her I was re-booked by AA on AA flight and that AA paid the return flight for me. I told her stop talking nonsense and read all the docs I emailed them including how I paid for the AA flight with my own British airways points and $88 tax. I told her bring on the AA rep on phone that told you they re-booked the return and paid for my return flight. She put me on hold for 30 mins or longer and didn't bring AA rep and disconnected the phone line. When I called back, it was another rep who told me " I can appeal my claim".

I sent this email today: I am asking you guys to stop playing games and be honest. I WILL file complaints with the insurance regulators in Georgia (where ever your offices are located) and my home state, and potentially file a lawsuit in my county's General District Court, if you do not resolve the claim within 7 days.

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Dec 23, 2016 at 12:23 pm
Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Blueskyheaven - I'm confused.
I interpreted your posts as:
You booked round trip on AC using UR points.
You had to cancel return segment(s) due to parent illness.
You booked new AA flight (on new dates) using Avios.
AC provided option to change return for change fee.

What exactly are you claiming from Trip Interruption? If you are claiming the unused forfeited AC segments why did you send in the AA ticket receipt?

You mentioned AC wanted change fee. Why didn't you just pay change fee and make a claim against the change fee?

If you were trying to claim for new tickets, why did you even use awards (on AA)? How did you expect insurer to properly value what to reimburse you?

Last edited by seawolf; Dec 28, 2016 at 4:09 pm
Old Dec 28, 2016, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Blueskyheaven - I'm confused.
I interpreted your posts as:
You booked round trip on AC using UR points.
You had to cancel return segment(s) due to parent illness.
You booked new AA flight (on new dates) using Avios.
AC provided option to change return for change fee.

What exactly are you claiming from Trip Interruption? If you are claiming the unused forfeited AC segments why did you send in the AA ticket receipt?

You mentioned AC wanted change fee. Why didn't you just pay change fee and make a claim against the change fee?

If you were trying to claim for new tickets, why did you even use awards (on AA)? How did you expect insurer to properly value what to reimburse you?
You said:" AC provided option to change return for change fee". Where did I say this? Even benefit dept called AC on my behalf for rebooking but the benefit dept at the time told me that is way expensive to rebook due to penalty fee and rebooking fee. NO AC didn't rebook and they told me they don't have flight on my return date and if I still want a rebook , it would be about $500 in penalty which costs even mroe then original round trip. I booked with CSR points but it still shows cash value.
so I had to rebook i found return flight on BA website on AA flight.

I have showed them all the documents including the return flight. The benefit dept lies by saying AC rebooked my return on AA by using the same CSR points that were used for original flight. They say AC reused my Chase points on AA flight for me. I told them why not see the reservation I showed you that shows who and how it was paid.They ignore my reservation documentation that shows I paid 15k BA points and $89 in tax for return. Whatever it is, they should at least be honest and not create a lie to deny a claim.
I have asked them to show me some proof, evidence to show AC rebooked the AA return flight or at least tell me the AC rep or AA rep that told them my chase points were reused for me on AA flight. They wouldn't show me any evidence and wouldn't give me any name or referrence of anyone who told them that the AA return flight I booked myself was booked by air canada or AA.
I lost over $200 in points for the original return that had to be canceled due to emergency issue.

Before all this, the benefit dept told me same travel benefit applies even on booking with points. It is treated as if booked directly with the CSR card.

I filed complaint against the benefit dept, somehow BBB and CFPB agency also sent it to Chase exec office who called me today to let me know they will speak to the benefit dept.

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Dec 28, 2016 at 5:56 pm
Old Dec 28, 2016, 6:39 pm
Original Member

The AC change fee, I got that from your post #71 but I see you only inquired about the change.

So then it sounds like the damage you are looking to be made whole on is the unused return AC segment(s).

Unless they asked, providing the AA ticket receipt was a probably a mistake as it only confused them. Whether you choose to continue trip or abandon trip and returned home by walking/driving/biking/hiking/swimming/flying is irrelevant.

What is relevant is whether the original the ticket has been used or not. They should be calling Air Canada or CSR travel agency to confirm the original ticket status.

Let us know how it goes.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
The AC change fee, I got that from your post #71 but I see you only inquired about the change.

So then it sounds like the damage you are looking to be made whole on is the unused return AC segment(s).

Unless they asked, providing the AA ticket receipt was a probably a mistake as it only confused them. Whether you choose to continue trip or abandon trip and returned home by walking/driving/biking/hiking/swimming/flying is irrelevant.

What is relevant is whether the original the ticket has been used or not. They should be calling Air Canada or CSR travel agency to confirm the original ticket status.

Let us know how it goes.
I am just in shock about their dishonesty and their laughable lies. They first said my claim is denied because AC re-booked the return AA flight for me. They are saying this after I sent them the reservation that shows I used my 15K BA Avios plus $88 in tax for 2 persons for one way return flight on AA.
When I told them, are you serious? I asked them how can they now say the return AA flight was booked by AC for me after I showed I booked it? When I asked them who told you this and do you have anything to show to me that says the return AA flight was booked by AC,their reply was they talked to an AA rep about that flight and that an AA rep told her it was rebooked by AC for me. I then told her, well then you are dismissing and ignoring what I sent you and I asked them to bring an AA rep on the phone and let's talk. They said they can't do it. Next day when I spoke to them again, they changed their lies by saying, AC used my Chase points , AC transferred my Chase points to BA and on the BA site, AC with help of AA booked the return flight for me. lol.

I used about 26K or around 30K CSR points to book the original round trip on AC for 2 persons. I couldn't return on return date due to emergency medical issue. AC didn't want to rebook so I had to cancel. I had to rebook a return flight myself and I used my 15K BA points and $88 in tax for the return AA flight for 2 persons.
Chase benefit dept denies my claim by saying AC used my original CSR points on BA website and there with help of AA they together booked my return AA flight for me.
It is simply unbelievable what they are saying here. i spoke to a Chase credit card manager and I have that manager talk to the benefit dept and we did 2 way call, the benefit dept agent says the same nonsense lies. The chase credit card customer service rep then told me they simply have no say about the benefits such as this and that I should appeal directly with the benefit dept. I have no idea what to do. I filed complaints against the benefit dept and Chase but I am sure they will say the same lies with no proof and will again say claim is denied. I wonder if I should take them to small claims court if they continue to play this game. I have no doubt I will win but I wonder if there is anything more I can do against them. I am mad!

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Dec 29, 2016 at 12:00 am
Old Dec 29, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
I am just in shock about their dishonesty and their laughable lies. They first said my claim is denied because AC re-booked the return AA flight for me. They are saying this after I sent them the reservation that shows I used my 15K BA Avios plus $88 in tax for 2 persons for one way return flight on AA.
When I told them, are you serious? I asked them how can they now say the return AA flight was booked by AC for me after I showed I booked it? When I asked them who told you this and do you have anything to show to me that says the return AA flight was booked by AC,their reply was they talked to an AA rep about that flight and that an AA rep told her it was rebooked by AC for me. I then told her, well then you are dismissing and ignoring what I sent you and I asked them to bring an AA rep on the phone and let's talk. They said they can't do it. Next day when I spoke to them again, they changed their lies by saying, AC used my Chase points , AC transferred my Chase points to BA and on the BA site, AC with help of AA booked the return flight for me. lol.

I used about 26K or around 30K CSR points to book the original round trip on AC for 2 persons. I couldn't return on return date due to emergency medical issue. AC didn't want to rebook so I had to cancel. I had to rebook a return flight myself and I used my 15K BA points and $88 in tax for the return AA flight for 2 persons.
Chase benefit dept denies my claim by saying AC used my original CSR points on BA website and there with help of AA they together booked my return AA flight for me.
It is simply unbelievable what they are saying here. i spoke to a Chase credit card manager and I have that manager talk to the benefit dept and we did 2 way call, the benefit dept agent says the same nonsense lies. The chase credit card customer service rep then told me they simply have no say about the benefits such as this and that I should appeal directly with the benefit dept. I have no idea what to do. I filed complaints against the benefit dept and Chase but I am sure they will say the same lies with no proof and will again say claim is denied. I wonder if I should take them to small claims court if they continue to play this game. I have no doubt I will win but I wonder if there is anything more I can do against them. I am mad!
From my claim in retrospect you should have paid the $400 change fee with the CSR/CSP.

My claim took less than 3 weeks from claim to check because I was able to show what it cost me.

Yours is a tangled web, are you looking for $400 for your Avios? But you can't show them the cost basis or have you said my Avios are worth $XXX plus the taxes. Or are you looking for the $400 change fee even though you didn't pay it? I can see where both of you are confused and talking apples vs oranges. 3 different airlines and 3 FF programs.

When filling a claim simple is better. Here's what it cost me and that's what I expect.

I also know you are getting frustrated. But the more people and companies you get involved is just making it harder. Good luck I really don't know what your end point will be. ps calling people liars even if you beleive it is probably not helping your case.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:55 am

Combining CSR CSP Cancellation Benefits to get Double Value ($40K vs $20K)

Booked an expensive cruise at over $40 K with CSP and was planning on covering the over $20K with a separate insurance policy. Then wife got a CSR card which included the same $20K coverage.

Called Chase Benefits to ask if we would be covered up to $40K or $20K pp if we paid the balance with CSR and was told yes. Nothing is in writing and will meed the requirement to pay some on each card. Doing this will reduce the amount of excess insurance would have to buy and a significant savings.

Going to call again to see if I get the same answer but, hoping someone here has had this situation and was able to recover more than $20K by using the two different cards to pay for portions of their trip.

Thanks in advance,
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:24 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
From my claim in retrospect you should have paid the $400 change fee with the CSR/CSP.

My claim took less than 3 weeks from claim to check because I was able to show what it cost me.

Yours is a tangled web, are you looking for $400 for your Avios? But you can't show them the cost basis or have you said my Avios are worth $XXX plus the taxes. Or are you looking for the $400 change fee even though you didn't pay it? I can see where both of you are confused and talking apples vs oranges. 3 different airlines and 3 FF programs.

When filling a claim simple is better. Here's what it cost me and that's what I expect.

I also know you are getting frustrated. But the more people and companies you get involved is just making it harder. Good luck I really don't know what your end point will be. ps calling people liars even if you beleive it is probably not helping your case.
Blueskyheaven is not looking at claiming against value of Avios. Claim is for original unused return AC segment(s). The return segment has a clear monetary value on the ticket receipt despite being purchased with UR points.

It is unused because OP booked a separate return using Avios. Alternatively OP could have returned home by alternative means (eg hitchhiking LOL). That's why IMO Avios receipt is irrelevant to the claim. Submitted the Avios receipt to insurer is a mistake (unless they had insisted on proof how OP got home) as it confused them and got them down the path of AC must have paid BA for an AA ticket to return OP home.

But I agree with you, calling CSR travel to change the original AC segment and paying the change fee/add collect would have made the claim clear cut. However I can understand why OP might have not want that because being reimbursed was not a slam dunk and thus OP might have not want to be exposed to the AC change fee/add collect when Avios was an option.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:11 pm

Chase Sapphire Reserve Travel Insurance

We booked flights to israel with the Sapphire Reserve card. Lately my wife hasn't been feeling well. We want to use the travel insurance, how complicated is the process? Is it as simple as getting a doctor to write a note?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by dell614
We booked flights to israel with the Sapphire Reserve card. Lately my wife hasn't been feeling well. We want to use the travel insurance, how complicated is the process? Is it as simple as getting a doctor to write a note?
exact thing happened and the benefit dept is a total scam! I just filed BBB complaint against Chase since I pay chase the fee. The benefit dept is playing games and it has been 3 weeks. I wish the benefit dept is as good as the card itself
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dell614
Read the terms and conditions of the coverage in the benefits brochure. Is this a pre-existing condition? Even if not, "not feeling well" may not meet the threshold for the coverage to kick in.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:15 pm

Chase Sapphire Reserve'system trip insurance question

Hi All,
If I book air tickets using miles, and pay for the hotel using my Chase Sapphire Reserve, will I be covered by the card's trip insurance? Let's say I have to cut my trip short due to some covered event, will they refund part of the hotel fee? I aware that the air ticket part is not covered.
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.