Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

opt in for chase credit card offers--Not possible?

Old Jul 4, 16, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Years ago, I opted out of getting chase credit card offers--but decided I would now like to get these offers--So, I emailed customer service and asked how to opt back in--and was told that once you opt out, it is not possible to again opt back in. Is this true? I suppose it is possible there system has no way to change this, but also wonder if I got an agent who just did not know how to do this, and just found it easier to give me this answer
Old Jul 5, 16, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Apparently both of you and Chase do not know what's going on.

Those so-called preapproved/targeted offers are the result of credit bureaus selling your information to creditors. A person can opt-in/out permanently is to through credit bureaus in writing.

Some creditors may allow opt-out, meaning screening you out from the lists purchased from credit bureaus. But it is not the legitimate method per se.

Regardless how you opt-out, you must tell the entity processing your opt-out in writing to opt back in, as it is a federal law requirement.

BTW - opt-in does not mean you will get the offer at all.
Old Jul 5, 16, 4:37 am

OP you may want to look at information from the FTC. They post information about opting out, and opting back in, to prescreened credit and insurance offers here. They also include the phone numbers and web site for online opt in/opt out.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...surance-offers

You can opt out for a shorter period of time, or permanently. Once having opted out, you can opt back in.

I had opted out permanently years ago as a safeguard against identity theft. But I have thought of opting back in.
Old Jul 5, 16, 7:33 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by travelpye View Post
OP you may want to look at information from the FTC. They post information about opting out, and opting back in, to prescreened credit and insurance offers here. They also include the phone numbers and web site for online opt in/opt out.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...surance-offers

You can opt out for a shorter period of time, or permanently. Once having opted out, you can opt back in.

I had opted out permanently years ago as a safeguard against identity theft. But I have thought of opting back in.
This is how I did it. 10~15 yrs ago I opted out. ~3 years ago I opted back in online. I forgot all the junk mail that came with it lol.
In the last month I've received 3 applications for a card I've had for 3 months.
Old Mar 12, 17, 4:25 pm

For personal Chase accounts you get go to http://www.chase.com/privacypreferences and on the next screen make sure none of the boxes are checked, then go through the steps to submit your preferences. If you get an error, log out of Chase.com and log back in, or use a different browser.

For business accounts you'd have to call 888-868-8618.

Whether personal or business, unless you've requested to opt out you're opted in by default.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: