Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car rental hidden fees?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Car rental hidden fees?

Going through the ultimate rewards travel reservation I'm getting quotes of about $200 and $500 for a couple of reservations. The same itineraries are $550 and $1600, respectively, when booked directly with Alamo and other rental companies. Not sure what can explain this huge difference. Have any of you noticed such great differences? Is it possible that UR does not include all fees?

Thanks for your help
Old May 24, 2016, 1:39 pm

Check to make sure mileage is included, especially if its a one-way. Otherwise it sounds like you've found a good deal.
Old May 28, 2016, 11:33 pm

FWIW, I've been using Costco (costcotravel.com) to book my last few rentals. MUCH better pricing than even our corporate rates. It was a similar situation to what you're seeing where the rental car agencies were either sold out or were charging $120+/day. Costco ended up being 1/5th that.

For all of my rentals, a second driver & unlimited miles were included free. Their site says this may not always be the case, but it has for me. For all of their reservations, no cancellation fees. Bonus: You can use any credit card you wish to pay for the rental. Not just Amex.
Old May 29, 2016, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KRSW
FWIW, I've been using Costco (costcotravel.com) to book my last few rentals. MUCH better pricing than even our corporate rates. It was a similar situation to what you're seeing where the rental car agencies were either sold out or were charging $120+/day. Costco ended up being 1/5th that.
It looks like may not work with non-corporate locations. I just tried Avis at ANC, and costcotravel returned:
"The Avis Rent A Car and Budget Rent A Car locations at this airport do not participate in the Costco Travel program."
Well, these same locations also don't accept coupons when booking through avis.com, apparently because they're not a corporate location.

In fact, I just tried orbitz.com for the same ANC rental, and came up with rentals available for several hundred dollars less. (And orbitz typically shows higher Avis / Hertz rates than I get with just ordinary airline / hotel discount codes that are available to anyone.)

So I suggest you check each rental you consider at costcotravel to make sure it's lower, and don't just assume it always will be because it was in a couple cases.
Old May 29, 2016, 9:57 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Welcome to FT, DavidK45

I'm going to move this thread to the Car Rental forum, where comparisons beyond UR bookings can generate input.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.