Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase fraud alerts & fraudulent charges [consolidated]

Chase fraud alerts & fraudulent charges [consolidated]

Old May 23, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: AA, United, Hilton, IHG, Carlson, Hyatt, SPG
Thanks- Chase told me the numbers were manually typed in on a computer in NYC- I am in Florida - wonder how they figure out it's fraud so quickly.
Old May 31, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Chase & the Chipotle Hack

I called Chase to advise them that my CSR card had been used four times at Chipotle during the period of time that hackers had access to credit card information.

Within minutes, they had cancelled the account and assigned a new card number. Should have the replacement card in the next day or so.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: AS MVP, SPG, Chase (CSR), UA
Thumbs down Chase placing fraud holds on accounts, but not calling

Has anyone had an experience like this with Chase? At least twice in the last several months, I have had a situation where Chase has decided to flag my account* due to some transaction I have made or tried to make. This seems normal to me so far. What I would expect to happen, and have seen in the past, is that Chase would call me immediately, or text me, or email me, etc. to verify the charges. What has happened in these last few incidents is complete radio silence from Chase. They will just start declining all charges on that card, no matter how normal they are, and wait for me to call them to ask what the heck is going on. Then they'll ask me if I recognize certain charges ("yes, I do") and then they'll tell me everything's fine now and I can use my card again. Has anyone else experienced this incredibly frustrating behavior?

Heck, not a month ago, I was buying a prepaid phone PIN online and instantly got a text saying "FREE MSG: Chase Fraud-Did you use card ending 1234 for $39.95 at RETAILER NAME on 05/16? If YES reply 1, NO reply 2"

So it's extra confusing why they'd notify me properly some of the time, and not at all other times.

*I've had this happen on my CSR and my Freedom.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:47 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by daniel949
... instantly got a text....
1. Have you verified your settings on chase.com? I don't find this aspect of the current website easy to understand, but there could be something missing or inaccurate there. For example I see: Before you can use this phone number for Account Alerts, you'll need to set up text banking through Chase Mobile. Even if it worked in the past, an update on Chase's end might have erased a number or disabled a setting.

2. Do you have a Chase app installed on your phone -and- do you use it with more than one Chase UserID?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:03 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I had the problem daniel949 described. My email address was on file and I received email from Chase before and after the fraud freeze, but nothing related to the fraud freeze. I understand that the only thing I would have received would have been "Log in for a message" but I did not get that.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Fraud on 2 Chase Cards - Fluke, or is someting bigger going on

So, wife found a couple of bogus charges on her UA Select Card in September - maybe the last week or so of Sept. Can't remember exactly, was with a mobile phone provider (Boost or similar) for ~$50, and First Energy for ~$130. Called and Chase took care of it, of course. Sent her a new card (CPC - so they UPS'd it - it was there in one day, might have been 2). All good now.

Now, last week, paid off her CSR card, in order to cancel. Except then there was a bogus charge on there too - this time, they were trying to go under the radar - this was a $2.00 charge for AT&T support. They took off the charge and had actually already issued her a new # - apparently they had already declined a second attempted fraudulent charge. And they allowed her to close it, even with whatever investigation is likely happening on the backend. Of course, they would have sent her a new card, etc. if she had wanted to keep it.

Obviously, fraud is on the rise these days, but found it curious she had both of her Chase cards used fraudulently within a month of each other. Also, as far as I know, she hasn't had this happen ever in the past 10 years or so. Question is, is it likely a fluke that these both occurred basically within a couple of weeks of each other, or is there potentially something bigger going on here? I have 4 chase cards myself, and haven't had any recent issues (though have once, in the past, I believe). I thought about the potential to be related to the Equifax issue, however, thought this wouldn't happen so quickly, and as I understand, only cards belonging to those using Equifax dispute resolution were affected (plus, she didn't get a letter), so presumably, she shouldn't have been affected by that.

Any thoughts out there?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
It's impossible to tell, but it's most likely a coincidence. Another possibility is that a business where she's used both cards was compromised. Still, it might be a good idea for her to change her Chase online password. It's unlikely, but if someone managed to log into her account, they could conceivably get her card numbers (although not CVV).
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by snic
It's impossible to tell, but it's most likely a coincidence. Another possibility is that a business where she's used both cards was compromised. Still, it might be a good idea for her to change her Chase online password. It's unlikely, but if someone managed to log into her account, they could conceivably get her card numbers (although not CVV).
I figured it was probably a coincidence, but still, with the closeness of it, seems a little too coincidental.

Yes, she still probably should change her password...good point.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:19 pm

Is there supposed to be some way to put a hold on your account or report a charge as fraudulent in the app or website? Today I got a fraudulent charge on my Sapphire Reserve while I was in an important meeting at work. I saw it and knew it was bad, but I couldn't duck out to make a phone call right then. I poked around in the app and didn't see any way to dispute it there, so I just had to wait. In the time that I was waiting for the meeting to be over and to be able to call Chase, another, much larger charge came through too. Not the end of the world, but it's kind of annoying to be seeing fraudulent charges happen and not be able to do anything about it immediately. I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing, or if calling is the only way.

Also, the email they sent me says "We'll notify Equifax, TransUnion and Experian that we closed your other account." Does this mean that I'm going to end up with a brand new account on my credit report, shortening my average age of accounts? Somehow, after having Chase cards for many years, this is actually the first time I've ever had one replaced for fraud (MANY on other banks), so I'm not sure how this works with them.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage LT GLD 1.806MM
Call from Chase Fraud Prevention on new CSR account?

Hello,

My wife just received a voicemail from Chase Fraud Prevention regarding a new CSR account that she applied for and was approved for instantly. Before calling Chase back, I'm curious why they are calling, since the account is brand new and has no charges on it.

Timeline of events:
Sat Aug 25 - applied for CSR via Chase website, instant approval (no 30 day consideration and "we'll get back to you")
Tues Aug 28 - received CSR card in UPS envelope, activated card via the www.chase.com/verifycard website. CSR card has not been used for any charges or transactions after verifying receipt of card.
Wed Aug 29 in the morning - received voicemail from Chase Fraud Prevention asking to call back at 800-688-7944 (the caller ID showed 972-512-5500, which is a number we don't recognize so we didn't answer it)

My wife has the following recent credit card account activity:
early-March 2018 - Added as an authorized user on my Chase Freedom Unlimited
late-April 2018 - opened new AMEX Platinum
mid-July 2018 - downgraded a CSP to Chase Freedom

Opening the CSR account brought my wife to 5/24. All card usage is for normal day-to-day spending.

Before my wife calls Chase back, I'm trying to get an idea of why they are calling about a brand new card that we just verified we received and that no charges have even been charged on the account yet.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

Last edited by AAMCI; Aug 29, 2018 at 8:12 am Reason: Added additional info
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It appears to be a phishing scheme. That isn't Chase's fraud number for Sapphire, which according to their website is 888-262-4273.

Call the number on the back of your card and tell them you got a voicemail claiming Chase Fraud Prevention called you. Ask if they actually called and what they want.

Nobody here can tell you for sure what it's about, assuming it's genuine.

Never call an unknown number someone leaves on a voicemail. Always call the number on the back of your card if you don't recognize the number given (or can't Google the number to see if it's genuine). If it is a genuine call, the customer service person can get you to the right department.

edit: the 972 number is Chase debt collections, which is probably spoofed. Googling the 800 number they gave you results in a lot of hits on how it's a scam.
AAMCI and strickerj like this.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Aug 29, 2018 at 9:04 am
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by AAMCI
Hello,

My wife just received a voicemail from Chase Fraud Prevention regarding a new CSR account that she applied for and was approved for instantly. Before calling Chase back, I'm curious why they are calling, since the account is brand new and has no charges on it.

Timeline of events:
Sat Aug 25 - applied for CSR via Chase website, instant approval (no 30 day consideration and "we'll get back to you")
Tues Aug 28 - received CSR card in UPS envelope, activated card via the www.chase.com/verifycard website. CSR card has not been used for any charges or transactions after verifying receipt of card.
Wed Aug 29 in the morning - received voicemail from Chase Fraud Prevention asking to call back at 800-688-7944 (the caller ID showed 972-512-5500, which is a number we don't recognize so we didn't answer it)

Opening the CSR account brought my wife to 5/24. All card usage is for normal day-to-day spending.

Before my wife calls Chase back, I'm trying to get an idea of why they are calling about a brand new card that we just verified we received and that no charges have even been charged on the account yet.

Scam. Just ignore it.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:54 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... the account is brand new and has no charges on it....
Unauthorized charges can be made on newly opened accounts, even before the card is activated. I would call the number on the back of the card to ask if there is a problem.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Unauthorized charges can be made on newly opened accounts, even before the card is activated. I would call the number on the back of the card to ask if there is a problem.
mia, understood. We checked the account on chase.com and don't see any pending charges on the new account. Several years ago, when I've caught fraudulent charges on my CSP, I could see them in the pending transactions section. Nothing showing on my wife's CSR currently.

We will call Chase (at the number on the back of the card!) today to find out what's going on.

Thank you all who replied with feedback.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:34 pm

Hello,

Timeline of events:

Just a quick update, a call to Chase this evening revealed that the fraud prevention department just wanted to confirm that it was my wife who applied for the card and that she did receive it and had it in her possession. No issues.

Thanks for the help today!
strickerj likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.