Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase fraud alerts & fraudulent charges [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase fraud alerts & fraudulent charges [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:21 pm

If it is a new card and many large purchases in short time. It is suspicious for them. If you are with Amex, your card is already temporarily shut down.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
I'm getting markedly more denials when I travel abroad since CSP converted from MasterCard to Pin-&-signature Visa. 2/3 charges in the past two days. I had to call them a couple of weeks ago after a foreign online purchase was denied, so they have my approximate itinerary. I've had Chase cards for decades, I'm nowhere near my credit limit, and the charges were <$100 Not cool, CSP!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
I had the same issue the first month.

The fraud people called me and asked why I'm spending so much money.

I told them if they didn't like it I'd go back to Amex.

Never declined again.

Make sure you have fraud alert texts turned on. That way you can verify your own charges.
Probably a dumb question, but how/where do I check if I'm properly set up for "fraud alert texts"? I'm fortunately in that I haven't been declined (yet), but I want to make sure I'm ready if/when that happens. I browsed around the Chase site on both my PC and my iPhone app and the description for the "Security Alerts" and "Daily Alerts" I see don't sound like what you are discussing, but perhaps that's them and it's just vague in nature. Either way, can you please elaborate? Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 2:52 pm

Mine got declined a bunch already also and is a new card. Talked to them 1st time and they added another state and said they marked it for larger spend. Hour on the phone with them later and trying many times at store wouldn't work and finally after I'm long gone they say it will work. I try next day and am good. 2 weeks later same issues and they said some supervisor gave it higher approval....next day same issues. Since the last call where I was pissed with them it has worked though
Old Dec 5, 2014, 1:15 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by skytz
Probably a dumb question, but how/where do I check if I'm properly set up for "fraud alert texts"? I'm fortunately in that I haven't been declined (yet), but I want to make sure I'm ready if/when that happens. I browsed around the Chase site on both my PC and my iPhone app and the description for the "Security Alerts" and "Daily Alerts" I see don't sound like what you are discussing, but perhaps that's them and it's just vague in nature. Either way, can you please elaborate? Thanks!
First make sure they have your mobile number in the right spot. Then one of the alerts can be configured to be sent to mobile.

It sends texts from this number: 33748

And basically says press 1 to confirm, 2 to incinirate your card.

The Chase site isn't great so I'm not exactly sure where this is.

You can try ringing the number on the back of the card and asking.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
First make sure they have your mobile number in the right spot. Then one of the alerts can be configured to be sent to mobile.

It sends texts from this number: 33748

And basically says press 1 to confirm, 2 to incinirate your card.

The Chase site isn't great so I'm not exactly sure where this is.

You can try ringing the number on the back of the card and asking.
Patrick - thanks for the reply. One more quick question before I resort to calling Chase directly (which I hesitate to do to avoid drawing attention to MS activity when I haven't even been flagged before in the years we've been Chase customers -- but we are pretty new to Sapphire). Anyhow, the "Manage Account Alerts" area of the website (whether through the main website, mobile site or iPhone app) just lists these items, with delivery options for email, push, or text.

The "Security Alert" options are:
My available credit is less than $___.
More than $___ is authorized on my credit card for a single transaction.
An international charge is authorized on my credit card.
An online, phone or mail charge is authorized on my credit card.
A gas station charge is authorized on my credit card.

The "Daily Alert" options are:
A balance transfer has been posted to this account.
A payment has been posted to this account.
My balance reaches $___.
My payment is due in 10 days.
My rewards balance exceeds $___ Points.
No payment was received for this account.

None of those Security Alerts sound like a what I'd need to set for a questionable-charge approval. Are they? I hesitate to turn some of those on because I don't want to receive texts about every transaction (we use our cards for just about everything). Which do you have set?

I've combed the Chase site (and Google in general) and haven't found anything beyond these. Perhaps the fraud ones are automatic and can't be configured? Any other thoughts on this?
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Fornebufox
I'm getting markedly more denials when I travel abroad since CSP converted from MasterCard to Pin-&-signature Visa. 2/3 charges in the past two days. I had to call them a couple of weeks ago after a foreign online purchase was denied, so they have my approximate itinerary. I've had Chase cards for decades, I'm nowhere near my credit limit, and the charges were <$100 Not cool, CSP!
To be fair, it may not be Chase's doing, and may be the places where you shop simply not accepting foreign cards.

Case in point: I lived in India for a year, and decided before I left to get the CSP because obviously, the no foreign transaction fee helped a ton, but also the other benefits. Problem is in India, many online transactions, and even some retailers (in-person) won't accept foreign cards, period. Plus, they use Verified by Visa and 3D secure, and as I understand it, the former is completely different with Chase/in the US than abroad, and 3D secure is virtually non-existent.

So I just learned where I could and where I couldn't use the card. But buying movie tickets online, airline tickets on LCCs, etc. just wouldn't work (eventually, Indigo would accept, but not for months). Even major carriers (Singapore, Thai, Turkish) all required one to show the card at check in. The process of trying to buy a train ticket was horrible and time-consuming enough online while using an Indian debit card (which I was lucky to even have access to - many expat's don't), but using a CC would not work at all. Even at some American chains (which in India, are all run by a local franchisor) wouldn't work - I understand almost at smaller local places, but having your US card denied at Dunkin Donuts is pretty ironic.

Sometimes, I would call Chase after my card wouldn't work, and everytime, they would not have a record of the attempt. That says to me it has nothing to do with Chase, but more the extra fraud protection in use there, where even logging into your account somewhere can require a one-time password sent to your phone everytime. So either they don't take foreign cards at all, and don't even hand over the info. to Chase, or don't do it if 3D secure or whatever fraud prevention tech. isn't active on the card.

Just my perspective as someone living in a foreign country for a while.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
you should have received 5k to 10k bonus points for each decline trouble

Really? Can you explain this? Should I be asking this to the fraud team each time I am denied? Can you give advice on how to ask for it?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:53 am

Calguy77, he's making fun of you.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:39 pm

I had this issue before with Chase, and asked them to figure out why it keeps happening and get back to me about why. They never rejected another charge but also didn't tell me why.

I don't think $300 is a large amount. Maybe thousands is large, but $300 or $500?
Is this a large proportion of your credit line?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I had this issue before with Chase, and asked them to figure out why it keeps happening and get back to me about why. They never rejected another charge but also didn't tell me why.

I don't think $300 is a large amount. Maybe thousands is large, but $300 or $500?
Is this a large proportion of your credit line?
No. I have $24000
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:46 pm

Had the same issue the first 6-8 weeks or so of use. I finally called in to lodge complaints after having to personally greenlight every single transaction over several hundred dollars which seemed ridiculous. I told them it wasn't acceptable, especially for a travel card, which is the market that CSP primarily aims to serve. Can you imagine having to go through this ordeal abroad? I was very bold and firm about this matter over the phone and it was the last time I've encountered it. I've put charges of up to 10K through since without any alerts, save the automated ones I've selected through my profile. Call and let them know early on that it's excessive and not appreciated.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by skytz
Patrick - thanks for the reply. One more quick question before I resort to calling Chase directly (which I hesitate to do to avoid drawing attention to MS activity when I haven't even been flagged before in the years we've been Chase customers -- but we are pretty new to Sapphire). Anyhow, the "Manage Account Alerts" area of the website (whether through the main website, mobile site or iPhone app) just lists these items, with delivery options for email, push, or text.

The "Security Alert" options are:
My available credit is less than $___.
More than $___ is authorized on my credit card for a single transaction.
An international charge is authorized on my credit card.
An online, phone or mail charge is authorized on my credit card.
A gas station charge is authorized on my credit card.

The "Daily Alert" options are:
A balance transfer has been posted to this account.
A payment has been posted to this account.
My balance reaches $___.
My payment is due in 10 days.
My rewards balance exceeds $___ Points.
No payment was received for this account.

None of those Security Alerts sound like a what I'd need to set for a questionable-charge approval. Are they? I hesitate to turn some of those on because I don't want to receive texts about every transaction (we use our cards for just about everything). Which do you have set?

I've combed the Chase site (and Google in general) and haven't found anything beyond these. Perhaps the fraud ones are automatic and can't be configured? Any other thoughts on this?
Hmmm... I looked everywhere and can't find it. Maybe see if installing the iOS / Android app allows you to turn this on.

You could try texting HELP to 33748

It's possible it's tied to the two factor authentication system used on login.

Otherwise you'll have to call.

I don't know if they'll care about MS or not. In my case I was furnishing a nursery and that cost a lot.

I think on the first month they're monitoring for bust out fraud.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I have a related problem with Chase. Their fraud protection procedure has gone way downhill. Last time my CSP was compromised, I received a call, confirmed the charge was invalid and they overnighted me a replacement. Done.

This time I had to play 20 question with an outsourced call center. I wasted at least half an hour on the phone (including hold time) just because someone charged $75 to my card at a Sports Authority. Also, I had to push for the new card to be overnighted.

Has Chase's CS sunk this low? It's enough to push me to Amex as my daily spender.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
The only time this happened to me with a Chase card (MR Visa) was when I bought a computer (>$1000)... I used it in HKG with no issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.