Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Purchase protection question: Chase maintains that a fine pen is a "consumable"

Old Mar 3, 16, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

Under Chase's purchase protection benefit, they will replace certain items that are stolen (or even lost) within 120 days of purchase.

I bought a montblanc pen in durpty free, and it went missing within 24 hours. Not happy with self. But it seems to fall under purchase protection.

But Chase has warned that a pen is considered a "consumable" - and therefore it doesn't fall under the plan.

I asked for their definition of consumable. They shared that any item which is easily replaceable (because it is used -like an ink cartridge) is a consumAble.

Now, this sounds more like a Bic pen would be under the category than a fine writing instrument.

Do others have insights?
Old Mar 3, 16, 8:17 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
...any item which is easily replaceable (because it is used -like an ink cartridge) is a consumAble....
I think you have already figured out how to respond. The ink cartridge or refill is a consumable, the pen itself is not. If it were a disposable pen which cannot be refilled, it would be a consumable, but this is a utensil which uses consumable ink.
Old Mar 3, 16, 10:58 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Using the logic Chase presented, a set of dishes would be a consumable because the food placed on them is consumed.
Old Mar 3, 16, 2:50 pm

Programs: O6 GOLD, SPG GOLD
Can you please provide the details of the purchase model, price, etc ?
Old Mar 3, 16, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by romania2007 View Post
Can you please provide the details of the purchase model, price, etc ?
Montblanc Starwalker pen. Duty free price of $277.
Old Mar 4, 16, 11:06 am

Just for the sake of accuracy, Purchase Protection for all Visa Signature cards is provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America. So after you're transferred to them by the bank, you're no longer dealing with Chase.
Old Mar 8, 16, 9:37 pm

Chase cards don't cover lost items.

I'm surprised that the benefit administrator didn't use that reason to deny your claim.
Old Mar 9, 16, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
This kind of baloney is why I always make important purchases with AmEx cards
Old Mar 9, 16, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
This is why I never pay more than a dollar for a pen.
Old Mar 11, 16, 12:50 am
In memoriam

Haven't paid for a pen since I found out about conventions, and freebies.

When I lived in France I was impressed by the French folks love of fancy pens which they apparently did not lose (sorry, OP, not being critical) and were very happy to show off. That ain't American me.

But, I agree with the Amex point above. If there is a chance of a problem or claim on a charge I try always to use American Express. In my experience Amex actually seems to be interested in helping and making the customer whole. Visa and MC seem more interested in finding a way to deny claims.
Old Mar 11, 16, 3:56 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Montblanc Starwalker pen. Duty free price of $277.
You will get no sympathy from me. Anybody who spends $277 on a pen and is careless enough to lose it, gets what they deserve. Besides, you obviously have money to burn so it should be no problem replacing it if it's that important to you. Asking someone else to cover the loss for your carelessness is perk abuse IMO.
Old Mar 12, 16, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by slivrflyr View Post
Chase cards don't cover lost items.

I'm surprised that the benefit administrator didn't use that reason to deny your claim.
This is what the benefits guide says...

"Purchase Protection covers eligible items of personal property you purchase using your Account in the event of theft, damage or involuntary and accidental parting with property."
Old Mar 12, 16, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge View Post
This is what the benefits guide says...

"Purchase Protection covers eligible items of personal property you purchase using your Account in the event of theft, damage or involuntary and accidental parting with property."
This isn't the same as lost items. I confirmed it with the Chase Benefit Administrator

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26052237-post12.html
Old Mar 12, 16, 1:08 pm

But Chase has warned that a pen is considered a "consumable" - and therefore it doesn't fall under the plan.
Call them and tell them a pen is not a consumable? Tell them you have to buy and refill the consumable cartridge separately.

With that said, I also don't get why spend so much on a pen. A power move is when you take someone else's pen to sign your name.
Old Mar 12, 16, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn View Post
You will get no sympathy from me. Anybody who spends $277 on a pen and is careless enough to lose it, gets what they deserve.
and believing in the Duty Free scam!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: