FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Purchase protection question: Chase maintains that a fine pen is a "consumable" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1750623-purchase-protection-question-chase-maintains-fine-pen-consumable.html)

zrs70 Mar 3, 2016 7:59 am

Purchase protection question: Chase maintains that a fine pen is a "consumable"

Under Chase's purchase protection benefit, they will replace certain items that are stolen (or even lost) within 120 days of purchase.

I bought a montblanc pen in durpty free, and it went missing within 24 hours. Not happy with self. But it seems to fall under purchase protection.

But Chase has warned that a pen is considered a "consumable" - and therefore it doesn't fall under the plan.

I asked for their definition of consumable. They shared that any item which is easily replaceable (because it is used -like an ink cartridge) is a consumAble.

Now, this sounds more like a Bic pen would be under the category than a fine writing instrument.

Do others have insights?

mia Mar 3, 2016 8:17 am

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 26277613)
...any item which is easily replaceable (because it is used -like an ink cartridge) is a consumAble....

I think you have already figured out how to respond. The ink cartridge or refill is a consumable, the pen itself is not. If it were a disposable pen which cannot be refilled, it would be a consumable, but this is a utensil which uses consumable ink.

jspira Mar 3, 2016 10:58 am

Using the logic Chase presented, a set of dishes would be a consumable because the food placed on them is consumed.

romania2007 Mar 3, 2016 2:50 pm

Can you please provide the details of the purchase model, price, etc ?

zrs70 Mar 3, 2016 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by romania2007 (Post 26279959)
Can you please provide the details of the purchase model, price, etc ?

Montblanc Starwalker pen. Duty free price of $277.

MaxVO Mar 4, 2016 11:06 am

Just for the sake of accuracy, Purchase Protection for all Visa Signature cards is provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America. So after you're transferred to them by the bank, you're no longer dealing with Chase.

slivrflyr Mar 8, 2016 9:37 pm

Chase cards don't cover lost items.

I'm surprised that the benefit administrator didn't use that reason to deny your claim.

sechs Mar 9, 2016 10:14 pm

This kind of baloney is why I always make important purchases with AmEx cards

Doc Savage Mar 9, 2016 10:24 pm

This is why I never pay more than a dollar for a pen.

biggestbopper Mar 11, 2016 12:50 am

Haven't paid for a pen since I found out about conventions, and freebies. ;)

When I lived in France I was impressed by the French folks love of fancy pens which they apparently did not lose (sorry, OP, not being critical) and were very happy to show off. That ain't American me.

But, I agree with the Amex point above. If there is a chance of a problem or claim on a charge I try always to use American Express. In my experience Amex actually seems to be interested in helping and making the customer whole. Visa and MC seem more interested in finding a way to deny claims.

Critterlynn Mar 11, 2016 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 26280461)
Montblanc Starwalker pen. Duty free price of $277.

You will get no sympathy from me. Anybody who spends $277 on a pen and is careless enough to lose it, gets what they deserve. Besides, you obviously have money to burn so it should be no problem replacing it if it's that important to you. Asking someone else to cover the loss for your carelessness is perk abuse IMO.

pallhedge Mar 12, 2016 6:19 am

Originally Posted by slivrflyr (Post 26305322)
Chase cards don't cover lost items.

I'm surprised that the benefit administrator didn't use that reason to deny your claim.

This is what the benefits guide says...

"Purchase Protection covers eligible items of personal property you purchase using your Account in the event of theft, damage or involuntary and accidental parting with property."

slivrflyr Mar 12, 2016 6:58 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge (Post 26321889)
This is what the benefits guide says...

"Purchase Protection covers eligible items of personal property you purchase using your Account in the event of theft, damage or involuntary and accidental parting with property."

This isn't the same as lost items. I confirmed it with the Chase Benefit Administrator

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26052237-post12.html

TOMFORD Mar 12, 2016 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 26277613)
But Chase has warned that a pen is considered a "consumable" - and therefore it doesn't fall under the plan.

Call them and tell them a pen is not a consumable? Tell them you have to buy and refill the consumable cartridge separately.

With that said, I also don't get why spend so much on a pen. A power move is when you take someone else's pen to sign your name.

GarlicFlyer Mar 12, 2016 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn (Post 26319954)
You will get no sympathy from me. Anybody who spends $277 on a pen and is careless enough to lose it, gets what they deserve.

and believing in the Duty Free scam!