Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

5x for first year at Grocery Stores. Capped at 12K in spend:

Key points:
  • $200 (20K UR) sign up bonus
  • Does not seem to be possible to generate referrals for this offer
Does this card earn Ultimate Rewards points or cash back rewards?

It earns Ultimate Rewards points which may be redeemed for cash.

Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Sapphire, Sapphire Preferred, all versions of Ink, JPM Select, JPM Palladium all earn Ultimate Rewards points. Ultimate Rewards points earned with any of these cards may be redeemed for cash at the rate 1 point = $0.01.

Chase markets Freedom, Unlimited, and Ink Cash as cash rewards, the others as points cards. The difference is in the marketing, not the rewards.

Travel and purchase protection benefits
Visa Signature
Visa Platinum

For general info, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

Print Wikipost

Chase Freedom Unlimited.

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2016, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
There's also, in my case, a rather odd wrinkle: Before this product was announced, I got force-changed from the AGR card to "baseline" Freedom. Well, I had zero use for said card (trying to play "remember what this quarter's bonus is" isn't my cup of tea) but said card is one of my oldest in terms of credit history (it was the first card I got of my own volition; the other cards are ones I use about once a year to keep alive but are from my bank). So I flipped it to Sapphire (no bonus)...

Frankly, I'm pondering flipping the Sapphire to this (which has reasonable awards across the board...it's actually better than any cards I have, generally, when I'm not doing business with a single company) but I don't want to make the jump without knowing that I can then get Sapphire (since I didn't get a bonus with the switch I should be eligible for the offer du jour) or a similar product to dump the points back to (especially since the Sapphire offers are generally a bit better than these).
I'm totally confused. What are you after, transferable points or cash back? Which exact card did you convert to, Sapphire (which does not enable transferability) or Sapphire Preferred (which does)? Those are two different cards.
Old May 10, 2016, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Need
Is this card part metal like the CSP?
No, it's plastic.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: ??????????
anyone with this card still have the guide to benefits that shipped with it? I'm specifically looking for the doc code located on the bottom right hand corner of the first page. As a sample here's what is on the Chase Sapphire Preferred: BGC10374 - (and the CSP guide: http://bit.ly/1YVhnih)

Looking to see if the benefits are all otherwise the same as the Freedom or if there is some difference.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by thehowieee
anyone with this card still have the guide to benefits that shipped with it? I'm specifically looking for the doc code located on the bottom right hand corner of the first page. As a sample here's what is on the Chase Sapphire Preferred: BGC10374 - (and the CSP guide: http://bit.ly/1YVhnih)

Looking to see if the benefits are all otherwise the same as the Freedom or if there is some difference.
Effective 4/1/14 BGC10373
Old May 24, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: ??????????
Originally Posted by BOSOGG
Effective 4/1/14 BGC10373
Thanks! Looks like the same as the Freedom -- https://www.chasebenefits.com/freedomVW1
Old May 24, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Thanks! Looks like the same as the Freedom -- https://www.chasebenefits.com/freedomVW1
Yep, it is. The guide doesn't even say "Freedom Unlimited" -- simply "Freedom."
Old May 24, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Agreed, they are the same for Freedom and Freedom Unlimited.

Note reference to Visa Signature.
If you do not get Visa Signature, benefits will be different.
See Visa Platinum...
Effective 11/01/13 BGC10369
https://www.chasebenefits.com/freedomVP1
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
How are people evaluating the everyday earnings potential on the Freedom Unlimited vs the AMEX EDP for NON-bonus spend (Groceries and gas which earn more on EDP)? Does it just boil down to which is worth more....1.5 AMEX MR point or 1.5 Chase UR point on a personal evaluation? I have been using the EDP to earn 1.5 points on everyday transactions but I am wondering if 1.5 UR points are worth more in the long run.

Hotel transfers - I think UR wins without question
Airline transfers - AMEX has more options but most don't offer the best redemption values. DL never has any standard awards available for one. Chase has transfers to UA which are a good option since I am a *A Gold and you don't have to pay the ridiculous fees LH or BA charge.

Just wondering how others are looking at the comparison.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:29 pm
Suspended

UR blows away MR for me but I know Mia is going to disagree with me.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:34 pm

Just now received a email from Chase with subject "Earn a $300 bonus with the Chase Freedom Unlimited card" - Look out for email with this subject from Chase. Looks like a targeted offer.....
Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:19 pm

Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by maxp0wers
It is a sign up bonus as reported on a few other sites. Alas, I was not targeted. I also went into a Chase branch to see if I was pre-qualified for it and still no love. I have been waiting for this one to come back around for a while since I will actually put spend on the card. Looking for a nice partner to my CSR.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by TMM1982
UR blows away MR for me but I know Mia is going to disagree with me.
Ultimate Rewards blow away Membership Rewards unless you're the type that likes to stay at Choice Hotels or fly with Delta or Jet Blue.

If you like staying in IHG hotels, Hyatt Hotels, or flying Southwest or United, then Chase UR's are best for you.

Personally I like transferring to JetBlue, but would love the ability to transfer to IHG and Hyatt (even though I have a Hyatt card already, and I'm way over 5/24).

I would say it doesn't really matter as long as you use the rewards program you think is best.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The Hyatt transfer option is valuable. Chase's other hotel options are poor value because of their unimaginative policy that all transfers are 1:1, rather than varying based on value.

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
... would love the ability to transfer to IHG.
1:1 transfers from American Express, Chase or Citi to IHG (or Marriott, or Hilton) would be poor value, BUT be aware that you can transfer from all three programs to IHG if that's your desire.

Chase transfers directly to IHG. American Express and Citi transfer 1:1 to Virgin Atlantic from which you can re-transfer 1:1 to IHG:

https://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en...ntinental.html

I am not advocating this, just pointing out that you need not participate in Ultimate Rewards to have IHG as an indirect redemption option.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by mia
The Hyatt transfer option is valuable. Chase's other hotel options are poor value because of their unimaginative policy that all transfers are 1:1, rather than varying based on value.

1:1 transfers from American Express, Chase or Citi to IHG (or Marriott, or Hilton) would be poor value, BUT be aware that you can transfer from all three programs to IHG if that's your desire.

Chase transfers directly to IHG. American Express and Citi transfer 1:1 to Virgin Atlantic from which you can re-transfer 1:1 to IHG:

https://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en...ntinental.html

I am not advocating this, just pointing out that you need not participate in Ultimate Rewards to have IHG as an indirect redemption option.
IHG is a pretty poor value, you're right.

It was a bit early when I posted this morning. I meant I'd like the IHG card and to earn points through Chase's IHG card just to get the free room every year, since Staybridge Suites are a pretty popular place to stay (in my life anyways).

I tried to sign up for Virgin Atlantic, but can't figure out how to transfer the points to IHG on the website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.