Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

5x for first year at Grocery Stores. Capped at 12K in spend:

Key points:
  • $200 (20K UR) sign up bonus
  • Does not seem to be possible to generate referrals for this offer
Does this card earn Ultimate Rewards points or cash back rewards?

It earns Ultimate Rewards points which may be redeemed for cash.

Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Sapphire, Sapphire Preferred, all versions of Ink, JPM Select, JPM Palladium all earn Ultimate Rewards points. Ultimate Rewards points earned with any of these cards may be redeemed for cash at the rate 1 point = $0.01.

Chase markets Freedom, Unlimited, and Ink Cash as cash rewards, the others as points cards. The difference is in the marketing, not the rewards.

Travel and purchase protection benefits
Visa Signature
Visa Platinum

For general info, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

Print Wikipost

Chase Freedom Unlimited.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:16 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Brussels
...The CSR said I could apply for a Freedom Unlimited card on the Chase website, but I don't see that option....
I imagine he meant you could apply when it becomes available in April.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brussels
Interesting...based on the previous comment I called Chase in search of a PC to Freedom Unlimited. Not one of my Chase personal cards was eligible for PC to Freedom Unlimited. These cards include CSP, Freedom, United Club & United MileagePlus Explorer. The CSR said I could apply for a Freedom Unlimited card on the Chase website, but I don't see that option. Anyway, the new 5/24 rule would surely prove to be an obstacle to approval for me.
Since Freedom Unlimited is not yet available, I'd consider any info Chase phone agents give you about it as potentially bogus.

Wait until it's really available (online links exist) and then ask again. You might get a completely different response.

(Ie, they may have been checking, and the system may have said that no card can be converted to Freedom Unlimited simply because Freedom Unlimited cannot yet be issued!)
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by btk2333
So could you convert your 2nd Freedom to Freedom unlimited now?
I didn't ask. I have a CSP I may or may not convert. Have an Ink Plus and Ink Cash.

So I can have 3 Freedoms and 2 Inks of some combination. I was planning on 2 Cash before the Freedom Unlimited was announced, keeping the CSP.

Still may do that. I earned 45K points from my 2 Freedoms over 2 quarters including the Amazon 10x.

That's the same as a signup bonus.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:29 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by btk2333
Is that an option?
Not if they'd like to produce a sustainable card.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:04 pm

You have t decide which is more valuable. Statement credit for travel vs transfer to chase partners. I value the latter myself.

Last edited by Jaidee; Mar 10, 2016 at 3:49 pm
Old Mar 12, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred
Stopped by a local branch today. They already have the marketing materials up, with the new card displaying alongside CSP etc. The banker said they will start accepting application on Monday.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA
This is available for product change starting today on the phone and in branch. I last received the CSP bonus in February 2014, so I plan on downgrading my CSP to the Freedom Unlimited and signing up for the CSP again in a bit. (I'm at 3 apps/24 mo)
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:40 pm

Data point:
I just sent a SM and was able to PC a 12 year old Flexible Rewards card that I hadn't used in years to the new FU
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile
This is available for product change starting today on the phone and in branch. I last received the CSP bonus in February 2014, so I plan on downgrading my CSP to the Freedom Unlimited and signing up for the CSP again in a bit. (I'm at 3 apps/24 mo)
If you downgrade from CSP to Freedom Unlimited, do you get a pro-rated refund of the annual fee ? I'm thinking of swapping my CSP + Ink Cash Combo for the Freedom Unlimited + Ink Plus without new applications.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:09 am
Suspended

FYI, I just called and was able to convert a CF into a CFU. Only hiccup was that I need a $5,000 CL so I had to move some credit over from my other CF.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:33 am

Sent a SM to Chase last night asking if I could PC one of my Freedom cards into the new FU card. Received a response this morning asking to confirm my request and the change was done less than an hour later. Should be receiving my new FU card in 3-5 days.

Will be putting my basic everyday spend on this card.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred
Looks like there is some hiccup in rolling it out. Local branch having trouble applying the card for me. The banker could see me pre-approved for a bunch of cards including the regular CF but CFU wasn't showing up on her screen. Printed material was right on her desk listing Slate, CFU and CSP side by side, but no where to be found in system. She called HQ and was told to re-try at the end of day.

By the way, CF has disappeared from all forms of printed material inside the branch. It is replaced by CFU everywhere I look. I am still doubtful that Chase intends to have both cards available in parallel for long...
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:11 am
Suspended

Why would you want to convert CF into CFU? Last time I checked 5x > 1.5x.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by steve4
If you downgrade from CSP to Freedom Unlimited, do you get a pro-rated refund of the annual fee ? I'm thinking of swapping my CSP + Ink Cash Combo for the Freedom Unlimited + Ink Plus without new applications.
Yes.

Just downgraded my CSP to FU. http://imgur.com/JX9zbfF
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Why would you want to convert CF into CFU? Last time I checked 5x > 1.5x.
The 5% categories is kind of lame these days. If someone is having total spending of $4000 a quarter but $500 or less of them are in 5%, he'll be better off with CFU.

Looking at my numbers for the past year, CF is better than CFU only in the last quarter thanks to the 10% Amazon. It'll probably be the same this year unless I go the gift card route. But of course, I amplaning on having both to get the best of both worlds...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.