Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

5x for first year at Grocery Stores. Capped at 12K in spend:

Key points:
  • $200 (20K UR) sign up bonus
  • Does not seem to be possible to generate referrals for this offer
Does this card earn Ultimate Rewards points or cash back rewards?

It earns Ultimate Rewards points which may be redeemed for cash.

Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Sapphire, Sapphire Preferred, all versions of Ink, JPM Select, JPM Palladium all earn Ultimate Rewards points. Ultimate Rewards points earned with any of these cards may be redeemed for cash at the rate 1 point = $0.01.

Chase markets Freedom, Unlimited, and Ink Cash as cash rewards, the others as points cards. The difference is in the marketing, not the rewards.

Travel and purchase protection benefits
Visa Signature
Visa Platinum

For general info, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

Print Wikipost

Chase Freedom Unlimited.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:46 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Rare
Nope. Can’t PYB for charges that were not made on the CSR.
Correct. But you also can't PYB without having enough points.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
EXACTLY!! Number one transfer option for best value is almost always premium international travel where values per point can far exceed this amount. If you are happy with 1.5, get a cash back card card and avoid only bing able to PYB in certain categories
Except that a cash back card gives me at most 2%, whereas with the CSR, I get 4.5% on dining and travel.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by RNE
Correct. But you also can't PYB without having enough points.
True, but the question was “is there any downside to transitioning all my dining purchases to the Freedom Unlimited?” I was simply pointing out that by doing so, you lose the option to PYB for those charges.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Tsonder305
Except that a cash back card gives me at most 2%, whereas with the CSR, I get 4.5% on dining and travel.
IF...you trust the Chase Portal as that is the only way you are getting the 4.5%
RNE likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
IF...you trust the Chase Portal as that is the only way you are getting the 4.5%
PYB on dining with 50% bonus is better than the Chase travel portal, as you earn points on the charges for which you are redeeming points, whereas with the portal you do not. Not to mention all the other potential issues with booking through the travel portal.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:54 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Rare
PYB on dining with 50% bonus is better than the Chase travel portal, as you earn points on the charges for which you are redeeming points, whereas with the portal you do not. Not to mention all the other potential issues with booking through the travel portal.
I agree. I was commenting more on the 4.5% return that was being discussed.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:08 am

Anyone know if it's possible to get the 5X on grocery if PCing a Freedom to CFU?
Old Dec 7, 2022, 5:49 pm

Ultimate Rewards New Member Offer for Ink Unlimited - OK to Pay Taxes to Reach Spend?

I already have a Chase Sapphire Reserve. However, the sign-up deal of $900 cash back for $6K in spend looks interesting (as does the 1.5% cash back), but I have two questions before pulling the trigger and applying:
  • Can I meet the $6,000 spend requirement by charging federal tax payments to the card (e.g., through officialpayments.com)?
  • If I keep the Sapphire Reserve, is each point earned on the Ink card work 1.5 cents towards travel?
Thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 6:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
  • Can I meet the $6,000 spend requirement by charging federal tax payments to the card (e.g., through officialpayments.com)?
  • If I keep the Sapphire Reserve, is each point earned on the Ink card work 1.5 cents towards travel?.
Chase encourages using their cards to pay taxes, see here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34807870-post683.html

You need to Combine the points earned with Unlimited to your Reserve card to redeem them for the same value.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Chase encourages using their cards to pay taxes, see here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34807870-post683.html

You need to Combine the points earned with Unlimited to your Reserve card to redeem them for the same value.
Why would anyone charge on their Sapphire Reserve and get 1 point per $ on general category charges when they could get 1.5 points on the Ink card?
Old Dec 7, 2022, 7:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Why would anyone charge on their Sapphire Reserve ....
I think there is a misunderstanding. You need to Combine the points earned by using Unlimited for them to have the same redemption value as points earned with Reserve. Combine is term that Chase uses to describe moving points from one card to another. Read here: Combining UR points from multiple card accounts [Consolidated]

Last edited by mia; Dec 7, 2022 at 7:20 pm
Old Dec 7, 2022, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I think there is a misunderstanding. You need to Combine the points earned by using Unlimited for them to have the same redemption value as points earned with Reserve. Combine is term that Chase uses to describe moving points from one card to another. Read here: Combining UR points from multiple card accounts [Consolidated]
I looked at the link you provided - and it seems I am eligible to combine points. So it would seem that the Ink miles could combine to the Sapphire Reserve UR account, where each point would be worth 1.5 cents towards a ticket purchase, for a value of 2.25 cents for each $ spent on the Ink card, versus 1.5 cents for each $ spent on the Sapphire card. Am I correct here?
Old Jul 15, 2023, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
my chase freedom gives 1.5% cashback for every purchase and bonus 1.5% for restaurants & drugstores. I know that it’s all about how a business classifies themselves and it’s beyond frustrating to see that my everyday local bakery indeed is in the restaurant 3% category whereas other bakeries (including the restaurant Big Sur Bakery with dinner table service) doesn’t give that 3% but 1.5% only. Mega sigh!

Originally Posted by future elite
I got the 5% gas stations and grocery stores on my Freedom, which I only use for the 5x categories. It was my first time ever getting a "My Bonus" on any of my Chase cards (Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, CSR).

I don't have a car, so the Q3 bonus gas station bonus category is not very beneficial for me. I paid for some gas on a road trip and was pleasantly surprised that the gas stations bonus stacked, especially after reading that it doesn't. Plus, the two gas station purchases were made before I registered for the bonus.

I have a freedom unlimited and cannot see how to get the quarterly bonus. Didn’t even know of it until today.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by gaobest
my chase freedom gives 1.5% cashback for every purchase and bonus 1.5% for restaurants & drugstores. … I have a freedom unlimited and cannot see how to get the quarterly bonus. …
Freedom Unlimited does not have quarterly bonus, Freedom Flex does. (The thread title may be incorrect and/or outdated.)

gaobest and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Freedom Unlimited does not have quarterly bonus, Freedom Flex does. (The thread title may be incorrect and/or outdated.)
Thank you. Wow. That said, I just got approved for hyatt business so I will shift all aspens there until I get the SUB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.