Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

5x for first year at Grocery Stores. Capped at 12K in spend:

Key points:
  • $200 (20K UR) sign up bonus
  • Does not seem to be possible to generate referrals for this offer
Does this card earn Ultimate Rewards points or cash back rewards?

It earns Ultimate Rewards points which may be redeemed for cash.

Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Sapphire, Sapphire Preferred, all versions of Ink, JPM Select, JPM Palladium all earn Ultimate Rewards points. Ultimate Rewards points earned with any of these cards may be redeemed for cash at the rate 1 point = $0.01.

Chase markets Freedom, Unlimited, and Ink Cash as cash rewards, the others as points cards. The difference is in the marketing, not the rewards.

Travel and purchase protection benefits
Visa Signature
Visa Platinum

For general info, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

Print Wikipost

Chase Freedom Unlimited.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by runb4fun
Too bad I'm gonna have to downgrade CSP to get this card. I'm giving up the idea of downgrading + now.
As of a few weeks ago, a phone CSR advised me an option to downgrade CSP to regular CS. I think that's still on the table.

For me, if FU will earn UR, I'll definitely get it the first day it come out. Freedom + FU + CSP + Ink Cash seems to be a killer combo.

This could be the first good evolution of Freedom franchise since they discontinued the Freedom Plus (Chase Exclusive benefit used to be ok, but that's gone too)

Last edited by Colonel Heero; Mar 1, 2016 at 7:18 am
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by runb4fun
fair point mia. it passed over me.

i'm hyped about 1.5 UR card.

Freedom + FU + Ink + CSP is going to better than ever. Too bad I'm gonna have to downgrade CSP to get this card. I'm giving up the idea of downgrading + now.
Where do you get it will be a 1.5 UR card??
It seems it will be a plain vanila 1.5% cash back card. No nothing Ultimate Rewards.

http://www.reuters.com/article/jpmor...-idUSL2N169026
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
It seems it will be a plain vanila 1.5% cash back card. No nothing Ultimate Rewards.

http://www.reuters.com/article/jpmor...-idUSL2N169026
Chase have been calling their UR cards cashback, even in press releases. I'll be optimistic about that... Chase does not have a current card that does real cash back only. Using UR seems logical. I guess we'll find out once some one leak the full brochure or sign up page...
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
The current Freedom cards are marketed as "cash" rewards, but they are actually UR points with a fixed $0.01 each redemption option, unless you transfer them to a CSP, Ink or other UR card. The assumption is that the new card will be structured the same.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:31 am

As posted on The Points Guy from Chase this morning:

" Chase Freedom Unlimited customers will earn points through the Ultimate Rewards program in the same way our Freedom customers do today"

Read more: http://thepointsguy.com/2016/03/chas...#ixzz41fKl2SKN
Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:38 am

Wow, I may have to switch from my United MPC to this one. 1.5 UR >> 1.5 United Miles.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:38 am

So I'm well past 5/24 -- would it be worthwhile to switch the Freedom to Freedom Unlimited if/when available? I have the CSP and 1.5 UR on all purchases is a great deal and beats the CSP for all non-bonused spend. Obviously having both the Freedom for 5x and Unlimited would be ideal but I don't see how it's possible.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by fastpoint

" Chase Freedom Unlimited customers will earn points through the Ultimate Rewards program in the same way our Freedom customers do today"

He didn't list source, but the wording sounds official. My hope is high Woohoo!

Originally Posted by Need
Wow, I may have to switch from my United MPC to this one. 1.5 UR >> 1.5 United Miles.
This is a good point. I wonder how FU may cannibalize all the co-branded cards that only earn 1pt/$. United, Marriott, BA, IHG etc. Granted these cards were never good for 1x spend but now they become even worse. For those who spend enough to pay AF on these card, I would imagine many can easily justify paying CSP's AF for the additional 0.5% on 1x spend.

Originally Posted by godlovesugly
So I'm well past 5/24 -- would it be worthwhile to switch the Freedom to Freedom Unlimited if/when available? I have the CSP and 1.5 UR on all purchases is a great deal and beats the CSP for all non-bonused spend. Obviously having both the Freedom for 5x and Unlimited would be ideal but I don't see how it's possible.
If I'm in your shoe, I would not want to convert away from regular Freedom unless it is absolutely certain that it remain open for new application. I would hate to miss out on possibility of having both. Maybe you can open a non UR card like Slate, Amazon, etc before April (today the 5/24 still only apply to UR cards only) and convert it later?

Last edited by Colonel Heero; Mar 1, 2016 at 9:09 am
Old Mar 1, 2016, 9:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fastpoint

If true, then Chase Freedom Unlimited will be better than their current Freedom for anything not in a 5% category. And it will be equal or better than the AMEX Everyday, assuming 1.5 UR > 2 MR.
What I don't understand though is why Chase makes this so... complicated. They could have easily made the current Freedom card 1.5% on everything + 5% rotating categories. Why create a completely new credit card?

Last edited by Dieuwer; Mar 1, 2016 at 9:25 am
Old Mar 1, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope we can PC the cobranded cards to this.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
This is awesome for a lot of people now that it's confirmed the card will earn UR. We can switch from current Freedom without wasting an app for 5/24 purposes and get 1.5 on all MS activities. If you have an Ink, much of the 5x categories can be replicated via GCs at office stores.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Help me understand why I should value this card beyond what I have or in complement to. Also, wish the sign up bonus was a little more enticing.

I already have Ink and Sapphire for UR.

I have Arrival for 2% on any spend. Why would I put spend on a 1.5% when I can put it on a 2%? Show me why I might want 1.5% in UR instead of 2% Arrival. I currently do the most of my non-cat spend on the Arrival and then use those points for various travel needs especially for lodging not affiliated with a program (for instance villa rentals). I'm open minded so appreciate ideas on making the 1.5 card more valuable via points transfers. I mainly use AA for award flights and for hotel programs: Marriott, IHG, SPG and Hilton. Most of the time I find myself just cashing out UR even though that's just 1:1. Inspire me.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Churnman
Help me understand why I should value this card beyond what I have or in complement to. Also, wish the sign up bonus was a little more enticing.

I have Arrival for 2% on any spend. Why would I put spend on a 1.5% when I can put it on a 2%? Show me why I might want 1.5% in UR instead of 2% Arrival. I currently do the most of my non-cat spend on the Arrival and then use those points for various travel needs especially for lodging not affiliated with a program (for instance villa rentals). I'm open minded so appreciate ideas on making the 1.5 card more valuable via points transfers. I mainly use AA for award flights and for hotel programs: Marriott, IHG, SPG and Hilton. Most of the time I find myself just cashing out UR even though that's just 1:1. Inspire me.
Yes, if you are just going to cash out the UR points, then I wouldn't bother with the new Freedom Unlimited. You're correct, 2% beats 1.5%, although Arrival does have the annual fee to take into consideration.

But for cash, there are better options than Freedom Unlimited.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Churnman

Transferring to United usually gives me a redemption value in the 3-4 cents range, bringing the total return to 4.5-6 for a 1.5/pt card. Hyatt can get decent returns in certain cases as well.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by kdm31091
Yes, if you are just going to cash out the UR points, then I wouldn't bother with the new Freedom Unlimited. You're correct, 2% beats 1.5%, although Arrival does have the annual fee to take into consideration.

But for cash, there are better options than Freedom Unlimited.

Some of us do a lot of shopping at the malls LOL, and with the new earning rate, the cost per point comes out to 0.56 cents, which is lower or equal to any INK 5x method involving office store GCs. Plus a hell of a lot easier to liquidate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.