Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

5x for first year at Grocery Stores. Capped at 12K in spend:

Key points:
  • $200 (20K UR) sign up bonus
  • Does not seem to be possible to generate referrals for this offer
Does this card earn Ultimate Rewards points or cash back rewards?

It earns Ultimate Rewards points which may be redeemed for cash.

Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Sapphire, Sapphire Preferred, all versions of Ink, JPM Select, JPM Palladium all earn Ultimate Rewards points. Ultimate Rewards points earned with any of these cards may be redeemed for cash at the rate 1 point = $0.01.

Chase markets Freedom, Unlimited, and Ink Cash as cash rewards, the others as points cards. The difference is in the marketing, not the rewards.

Travel and purchase protection benefits
Visa Signature
Visa Platinum

For general info, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

Print Wikipost

Chase Freedom Unlimited.

Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Why would Chase do this?
Why would Chase do what?

(There are multiple swirling rumors in this thread, and "this" isn't clear.)

But as to why Chase would introduce a new card that works differently, if it doesn't really replace (but just adds to) the existing Freedom: Amex recently introduced Amex Blue Cash Everyday, which despite the name has nothing to do with the other Everyday cards that earn Membership Rewards points. The Blue Cash Everyday earns Rewards Dollars instead.

But Amex did not introduce that to replace the Amex Everyday card, they introduced it to complement the Amex Everday card ("complement" in the sense of marketing to people with other needs, not "complement" in the same person's wallet).

So until we see whether this card truly replaces the existing Freedom for everyone but current cardholders, or whether all that it replaces is the #1 marketing position within branches, we won't know close a parallel it is. The blog that reported this mutters something about "in branches", so it makes me wonder whether that blog jumped to conclusions by misreading what that meant.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by freeflyin
In my case, I basically only use Freedom for the 5% categories,with an occasional non-bonus transaction for good measure!
Assuming it generates UR, I guess with high spend or business travelers on non categorical spend it's ok. As it stands with MSers, the .0073 rate you could get on Simon mall and other VGC outlets, I don't really see this as good, with the ink and staples combo mixed with the staples rebates. But if you can put ordinary spend on it at a high level, eh, I guess it's solid.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:45 am

If it's confirmed that this offers 1.5 ur points on all spend I would probably switch about $400,000 of non-bonus spending to this card (lab and medical supplies)- heck 1.5x ur points almost makes the math work to pay taxes at 1.87% service fee (and for some people it would be a good value to 'buy' ur points at~1.25 cents per ur point)
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Seems like a pretty smart competitive move against Amex. 1.5x everywhere with no fee and no fiddling beats Everyday at the low end of the market for just about anybody, and CSP + a 1.5x everywhere Freedom beats EDP or PRG for most people in the mid-upper part of the market, at least those who use Chase partners. Personally, I'd probably end up giving Chase more spend, earning roughly the same or fewer points, and being happy with the change because it would simplify my wallet a lot. Just as long as they don't force any conversions until after the grocery and restaurant quarters....
Old Feb 29, 2016, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Why would Chase do what?

(There are multiple swirling rumors in this thread, and "this" isn't clear.)

But as to why Chase would introduce a new card that works differently, if it doesn't really replace (but just adds to) the existing Freedom: Amex recently introduced Amex Blue Cash Everyday, which despite the name has nothing to do with the other Everyday cards that earn Membership Rewards points. The Blue Cash Everyday earns Rewards Dollars instead.

But Amex did not introduce that to replace the Amex Everyday card, they introduced it to complement the Amex Everday card ("complement" in the sense of marketing to people with other needs, not "complement" in the same person's wallet).

So until we see whether this card truly replaces the existing Freedom for everyone but current cardholders, or whether all that it replaces is the #1 marketing position within branches, we won't know close a parallel it is. The blog that reported this mutters something about "in branches", so it makes me wonder whether that blog jumped to conclusions by misreading what that meant.
According to millionmilesecrets.com "this" was confirmed with a phone call to chase. So not really a rumor anymore.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:01 pm

So some dude on reddit talked with a chase banker and this is going to be a separate card than existing Freedom card. Both freedom cards will be available. And, yes, the new one will fall under 5/24 rule.

I personally think there is a small yet believable chance this will earn UR. (A) Not everyone who has this card has UR transferring card. (B) Not everyone who has UR transfer card will make profit through this card. (C) A lot of users will make this their primary spend card, thus earning chase a decent money? (D) so far all non-branded points earning chase cards do earn UR points.

edit: MMS says otherwise. He claims old Freedom will not be available for new applicants anymore and the new one will offer UR points.

edit: another user on reddit also claims that the old freedom won't go anywhere. He claims to work for Chase. It makes sense to me. Like, why call it "freedom unlimited" if they don't plan to keep "freedom" card open for new applicants as well?

Last edited by runb4fun; Feb 29, 2016 at 3:15 pm
Old Feb 29, 2016, 6:31 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by runb4fun
...why call it "freedom unlimited" if they don't plan to keep "freedom" card open for new applicants as well?
It took Chase years to convert accounts from products called Freedom Plus and Rewards Plus to their respective replacements. They need separate names to manage the transition.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:15 pm

fair point mia. it passed over me.

i'm hyped about 1.5 UR card.

Freedom + FU + Ink + CSP is going to better than ever. Too bad I'm gonna have to downgrade CSP to get this card. I'm giving up the idea of downgrading + now.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mia
I think they chose 1.5% to better compete with Capital One & Discover.
I think this also, the majority of credit card people like cashback over points.

And with Costco soon to take Visa the time couldn't be better for a new cashback card.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:17 pm

This is what I found online. Can anyone confirm?
Attached Images  
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by trikotret
This is what I found online. Can anyone confirm?
Where did you find it?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:45 pm

New Chase offering Freedom Unlimited
https://www.creditboards.com/forums/index.php?/topic/561696-New-Chase-offering-Freedom-Unlimited
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mia
I think they chose 1.5% to better compete with Capital One & Discover.
And Citi (Double Cash) as well.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 6:24 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Where did you find it?
Click the link in post #1 of this thread.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 6:44 am
mia

Official confirmation here:

http://www.reuters.com/article/jpmor...-idUSL2N169026

JPMorgan Chase & Co will offer a richer cash-back credit card in April to better compete against products from Capital One Financial Corp and Citigroup Inc.

The new "Freedom Unlimited" card will pay back 1.5 percent on all purchases, a higher standard rate than its current Freedom card, Pamela Codispoti, president of Chase Consumer Branded Cards, said in an interview.

Codispoti said the Freedom Unlimited card will available as an alternative, or a companion, to Chase's current Freedom card, whose standard cash-back rate is back 1 percent. It also offers quarterly specials of 5 percent back on changing categories of spending, such as groceries or gasoline, up to $1,500.

"I don't think we were late, per se," with the simpler, richer cash-back card, she said. Different customers like different offers and some like the current Freedom card, she said.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.