Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Marriott Credit Card Offers ARCHIVED (2016-2019)

Old Feb 20, 2016, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Please read this Wiki before posting questions in the thread.

This thread is a continuation of the pre-2016 discussion.

Note: Referrals are NOT allowed in this thread. Instead, see Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first)

The 5/24 rule for Chase, where 5 or more new accounts in 24 months can result in an application denial, appears to apply to Marriott personal cards but not the Business version of the Marriott card. For up to date information, please consult the wiki at Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward .

PERSONAL CARD
What are the current offers?

Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Visa card

Five free night Certificates for up to 50,000 points per night after making $5000 in purchases within 3 months of opening the card. $95 annual fee, not waived the first year. Certificates are valid for one year from date of issuance. 6x at Marriott, 2x on travel and everything else. There's also a host of other benefits with the Boundless.. please see the Chase link for details.

BUSINESS CARDS
Bonvoy Premiere Plus
__https://creditcards.chase.com/marriott/cardmember/premier_plus_business_benefits

Offers one free night award (up to 35K points) upon renewal and an additional free night with spend up to $60K in a year. 6x per $1 on Marriott spend, 4x on gas, restaurants, shipping and internet/cable/phone; 2x everything else

Bonvoy Business Card
__https://creditcards.chase.com/marriott/cardmember/rewards_benefits_
1x regular spend, 3x Marriott spend

Which offers are better?There is no universally correct answer. Relevant considerations include these:
  • Are you currently points-rich or cash poor? If you have 1 million Marriott points already, paying $85 for another 10K probably doesn't make sense.
  • What does your typical award redemption look like? Specifically, what yield (cents per point) do you normally get at the properties where you do award stays? Unless you're getting almost a penny a point--paying an $85 fee to buy an extra 10K points is not a good value proposition. (Adjust accordingly if you're considering paying the $99 fee for a business card with 80K bonus.)
  • Will the extra 10K put you over the top for a planned award? If getting another 10K will make the difference between having & not having enough points for an award you expect to book in the near future, taking the points generally makes sense. (Keep in mind that Marriott has added a cash & points award option for stays of 2+ nights, so you won't necessarily need the same number of points as in the past for a given award stay.)

I'm afraid to use a blind application page that doesn't list the signup bonus previously available on a now-expired landing page. How can I trust the links in the wiki?

How? The same way you'd trust the advice you're reading right now. If that makes you uneasy, OK -- but don't post in the thread asking for further reassurance. It'll be fine. Really.
Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards.
Once I meet the card's initial spending requirement, how soon will I receive my signup bonus points?

Bonus points typically accrue at the close of the billing period in which you incur the corresponding charges. Points should appear in your hotel/airline account within a few days thereafter.

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.
If I hold both personal and business Marriott cards, will I receive a 15-night credit toward status for each?

When will the Elite Night Credit for spend on the card (1 night for each $3K) appear in my account?

According to this discussion, it can take anywhere from one week to almost two months after the close of the applicable statement. There are also reports that the night posts approximately ten days after the calendar month that the $3k is reached, regardless of the statement closing date. So in this instance, if you need that night to reach status by the end of the year, the spend would need to be met by the end of November in order for the night to post in December.
How do I make a booking using a free-night cert?
Can I exchange a soon-to-expire free-night cert for points? Extend its expiration? What if the cert has already expired?
If I cancel my card after the annual free-night cert has posted, will I lose the cert?

See the wiki at Chase Free Night Certificate
Are there bonuses for signing up for the Marriott Rewards program itself?

Yes. There are two publicly available offers for new members to the Marriott Rewards program itself: If you think it's possible you will have any paid Marriott stays after you join, you should sign up for one of these offers before applying for the credit card. Make sure you give your new Marriott Rewards number on the credit card application, to tie the offers together.

Print Wikipost

Chase Marriott Credit Card Offers ARCHIVED (2016-2019)

Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Kacee
Seriously.

The whining level has reached new FT lows.
No whining. Simple facts being stated so we can make decisions. I hold the Marriott cc today. I was simply pointing out that the up to Cat 4 free night cert really offers limited value. So this being the case, I'll likely drop the card when the af hits - or upgrade to the new Marriott card where I get a 35k free night cert which has more value.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I was simply pointing out that the up to Cat 4 free night cert really offers limited value.
It will be equivalent to the Cat 5 cert you currently get with the Chase card.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
It will be equivalent to the Cat 5 cert you currently get with the Chase card.
If I understand the translation correctly, that translates to 25,000 point level going forward. If true, my statement stands as is.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Plat, National EE
Hello - I have a question about the Marriott cards. I currently have the regular Marriott Visa, have had it since over 3 years. I only have a few cards so 5/24 should not be an issue. I would like to see how i can make as many points quickly as possible - Can i cancel my current card and apply for the same one again and get 120k points? Is there a waiting time i should do?

I also want to apply for the business card, when should I do that? And how about the new Visa card that will come out in a few days?

Any strategy to maximize points would be appreciated! Thanks, Toby
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tobytobsen
Hello - I have a question about the Marriott cards. I currently have the regular Marriott Visa, have had it since over 3 years. I only have a few cards so 5/24 should not be an issue. I would like to see how i can make as many points quickly as possible - Can i cancel my current card and apply for the same one again and get 120k points? Is there a waiting time i should do?

I also want to apply for the business card, when should I do that? And how about the new Visa card that will come out in a few days?

Any strategy to maximize points would be appreciated! Thanks, Toby
First, what 120k points for what card??? The current offer for the existing Marriott personal Visa is 75k points after $3k spend in 3 months. The anticipated offer for the new Marriott Premier Plus Visa is 100k points after $5k spending in 3 months. So I don't see where the 120k points number comes from.

IMHO, you should apply for the business Marriott card from Chase first, since it won't add to your 5/24 count. And you should apply for it as soon as you can, since we don't when it's going to go away. (Officially, Chase doesn't have rights to "market" a business card in the new merged program, only Amex does.)

Meanwhile, do you understand how 5/24 is calculated? It has nothing to do with how many cards you "have"; it has everything to do with how many cards you've opened during the past 24 months (even if they're now closed). Now, maybe you're OK there too, but I want to make sure you're not mistaken about your 5/24 status because of possibly not understanding how it's computed. (Chase computes it by counting the bank cards, open or closed, on your credit report that show an "opened on" date in the past 24ish months.)
LF72 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Plat, National EE
Hello @sdsearch - i was referrring to the offer link from ther wiki "120k (for first $12k in purchases) + 7.5k AU, AF waived first year."

So, i have not opened a new cc in the last almost 4 years - can i cancel the current marriott card and reapply for the same one as well as open a business card? How long do i have to wait after closing the consumer card before being able to apply for the same one again to receive the signup bonus?

Thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
If I understand the translation correctly, that translates to 25,000 point level going forward.
It's not a "devaluation" if the value stays the same. "Devaluation" defined.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tobytobsen
Hello @sdsearch - i was referrring to the offer link from ther wiki "120k (for first $12k in purchases) + 7.5k AU, AF waived first year."

So, i have not opened a new cc in the last almost 4 years - can i cancel the current marriott card and reapply for the same one as well as open a business card? How long do i have to wait after closing the consumer card before being able to apply for the same one again to receive the signup bonus?

Thanks!
Please read the wikipost at the top of this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...17-onward.html

especially items 1 (about how close together to apply for two cards) and 8 (about applying after cancelling the same card).

Those answer are not Marriott-card specific, they apply equally to all Chase cards.

The only questions that are Marriott-specific are which offers still work (the wiki here answers that) and how long they will continue to work (nothing answers that officially, but there's a possibility that links for the current personal card could start dying soon, given that it's being replaced (for new applications) with the new card in early May.

So I'd say cancel the current personal card RIGHT NOW (if not yesterday) if you want a chance at reapplying for it, given the recommendations in item 8 of the wiki of that other thread.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The value doesn't necessarily stay exactly the same come 2019. We don't know yet how many hotels that are "nominally" 25k will move to 30k for "high season" and how long that "high season" will last. And the cert from the card will presumably not work for those "nominally" 25k hotels when they're at their "high season" rate of 30k.

So currently any hotel that's 25k, the cert works all year. Come 2019, that won't be universally true. Isn't it valid for some to view that as a devaluation? (Of course, is it valid to assume that before we get the details on which hotels will have high seasons, and how long those high seasons will last?)
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:18 pm
hts

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
Is Chase's Marriott Rewards Premier the new card everyone is talking about? I'm a little confused, obvs. If it is, it appears to be live on Chase's site now (don't have to wait to May 3) but with only a 75k sign-up bonus. I also have a current Marriott card (along with Amex SPG) and am trying to figure out how to maximize the points benefits associated with both (actually, I just renewed my SPG Amex earlier today for 10k points in exchange for paying the $95 annual fee).

Any insights into the Chase Marriott product (keep it and hope for an upgrade offer from Chase; cancel it and re-apply, etc.).
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by hts
Is Chase's Marriott Rewards Premier the new card everyone is talking about?
The new card isn't out until May 3
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:57 pm
hts

That's what I thought. But the Marriott Rewards card that I have isn't the same one as the current Marriott card being offered on Chase's website (with the 75k offer) so I thought maybe they released it early.

Originally Posted by nall
The new card isn't out until May 3
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by hts
That's what I thought. But the Marriott Rewards card that I have isn't the same one as the current Marriott card being offered on Chase's website (with the 75k offer) so I thought maybe they released it early.
Which one do you have?

The new one is the Premier Plus, and is rumored to launch with a 100k bonus.
https://creditcards.chase.com/marriott/getmore
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:19 pm
hts

I have this one:

https://creditcards.chase.com/travel...rriott-premier

I didn't realize it was premier.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The value doesn't necessarily stay exactly the same come 2019. We don't know yet how many hotels that are "nominally" 25k will move to 30k for "high season" and how long that "high season" will last. And the cert from the card will presumably not work for those "nominally" 25k hotels when they're at their "high season" rate of 30k.

So currently any hotel that's 25k, the cert works all year. Come 2019, that won't be universally true. Isn't it valid for some to view that as a devaluation? (Of course, is it valid to assume that before we get the details on which hotels will have high seasons, and how long those high seasons will last?)
Exactly sdsearch. Over 31,000 posts and that's the best response you can come up with Kacee? You're losing your touch. "Losing touch" defined.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.