Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Marriott Credit Card Offers ARCHIVED (2016-2019)

Old Feb 20, 2016, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Please read this Wiki before posting questions in the thread.

This thread is a continuation of the pre-2016 discussion.

Note: Referrals are NOT allowed in this thread. Instead, see Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first)

The 5/24 rule for Chase, where 5 or more new accounts in 24 months can result in an application denial, appears to apply to Marriott personal cards but not the Business version of the Marriott card. For up to date information, please consult the wiki at Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward .

PERSONAL CARD
What are the current offers?

Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Visa card

Five free night Certificates for up to 50,000 points per night after making $5000 in purchases within 3 months of opening the card. $95 annual fee, not waived the first year. Certificates are valid for one year from date of issuance. 6x at Marriott, 2x on travel and everything else. There's also a host of other benefits with the Boundless.. please see the Chase link for details.

BUSINESS CARDS
Bonvoy Premiere Plus
__https://creditcards.chase.com/marriott/cardmember/premier_plus_business_benefits

Offers one free night award (up to 35K points) upon renewal and an additional free night with spend up to $60K in a year. 6x per $1 on Marriott spend, 4x on gas, restaurants, shipping and internet/cable/phone; 2x everything else

Bonvoy Business Card
__https://creditcards.chase.com/marriott/cardmember/rewards_benefits_
1x regular spend, 3x Marriott spend

Which offers are better?There is no universally correct answer. Relevant considerations include these:
  • Are you currently points-rich or cash poor? If you have 1 million Marriott points already, paying $85 for another 10K probably doesn't make sense.
  • What does your typical award redemption look like? Specifically, what yield (cents per point) do you normally get at the properties where you do award stays? Unless you're getting almost a penny a point--paying an $85 fee to buy an extra 10K points is not a good value proposition. (Adjust accordingly if you're considering paying the $99 fee for a business card with 80K bonus.)
  • Will the extra 10K put you over the top for a planned award? If getting another 10K will make the difference between having & not having enough points for an award you expect to book in the near future, taking the points generally makes sense. (Keep in mind that Marriott has added a cash & points award option for stays of 2+ nights, so you won't necessarily need the same number of points as in the past for a given award stay.)

I'm afraid to use a blind application page that doesn't list the signup bonus previously available on a now-expired landing page. How can I trust the links in the wiki?

How? The same way you'd trust the advice you're reading right now. If that makes you uneasy, OK -- but don't post in the thread asking for further reassurance. It'll be fine. Really.
Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards.
Once I meet the card's initial spending requirement, how soon will I receive my signup bonus points?

Bonus points typically accrue at the close of the billing period in which you incur the corresponding charges. Points should appear in your hotel/airline account within a few days thereafter.

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.
If I hold both personal and business Marriott cards, will I receive a 15-night credit toward status for each?

When will the Elite Night Credit for spend on the card (1 night for each $3K) appear in my account?

According to this discussion, it can take anywhere from one week to almost two months after the close of the applicable statement. There are also reports that the night posts approximately ten days after the calendar month that the $3k is reached, regardless of the statement closing date. So in this instance, if you need that night to reach status by the end of the year, the spend would need to be met by the end of November in order for the night to post in December.
How do I make a booking using a free-night cert?
Can I exchange a soon-to-expire free-night cert for points? Extend its expiration? What if the cert has already expired?
If I cancel my card after the annual free-night cert has posted, will I lose the cert?

See the wiki at Chase Free Night Certificate
Are there bonuses for signing up for the Marriott Rewards program itself?

Yes. There are two publicly available offers for new members to the Marriott Rewards program itself: If you think it's possible you will have any paid Marriott stays after you join, you should sign up for one of these offers before applying for the credit card. Make sure you give your new Marriott Rewards number on the credit card application, to tie the offers together.

Print Wikipost

Chase Marriott Credit Card Offers ARCHIVED (2016-2019)

Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Thank you.

Why do you think I asked in the first place? I don't know anything about the Mariotts program and just asked a simple question.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Chase Marriott Visa 120K points on 12K spend in first year + 7.5K AU + AF waived

Just saw this offer advertised on slickdeals.net -

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/mar...9757/203662838

10 Marriot Rewards point per dollar spent in the first year upto $12K with AF waived the first year. It also gets 7.5K point for AU.
So effectively you are getting 40K points more than the standard offer of 80K points, for spending another 9K on the card and no AF first year.
I was anyway planning to apply for this card, but still debating which offer is better for me.

Apologies if this has already been posted but a quick search didn't show any posts for this offer.

What do you guys think.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: SW, AS, UA, AA, Delta, Hilton, Hyatt, Club Carlson, SPG, IHG, Choice
For me, I would go with 80K offer and then after meeting min. spend, use the rest amount from $9K for next card instead of using it for this 120K offer...
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by desikid
For me, I would go with 80K offer and then after meeting min. spend, use the rest amount from $9K for next card instead of using it for this 120K offer...
My bad on posting this as a new thread in the Credit cards forum and thanks for merging it with the correct thread. I had assumed this forum was only for UR.

I completely understand your thinking and that is the only reason I haven't yet jumped on it.
But I'm leaning towards the 120K offer, mainly because I'm trying to maximize spg points, which are hard to come by. I already have the Amex SPG biz and have also used and cancelled the Amex SPG personal card, so can't get those bonuses for another few years. I'm not a big churner (I probably get no more than 5-6 cards a year) so spending $12K in a year is not a big problem. I anyway try to put my non-category spending on the Amex SPG. So the way I see it is that the extra $9K spend will earn another 13.3K SPG points while saving $85 in AF. Most of this spending I would have put on the Amex SPG at 1point/$ otherwise. In fact this being a Visa, opens more options. I might even consider cancelling the Amex SPG biz too and save another $95 in AF, though probably will not.

The only thing I'm afraid of is Marriott will end up devaluing SPG points as the merger moves forward.

Anyone else thinking along these lines?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by unicon
...have also used and cancelled the Amex SPG personal card, so can't get those bonuses for another few years.
I thought Amex has the once in a lifetime limit, so you won't get another bonus thru the same card, ever. Since no one know whether Amex or Chase will emerge as the surviving credit card after the programs merged, we don't know whether there will be a new credit card product. If I were you, I would take this card for now. 120,000 Marriott points equal 40,000 SPG points. AMEX never offered that high a bonus. If either AMEX or Chase come up with a new product, I would then cancel what I have and apply for the new one. Just my opinion.

You can freely transfer between SPG and Marriott at least for now, so you can park your SPG points in the Marriott program if you worry about SPG devaluation. My personal worry is that Marriott will rebrand my two favorite cat 4 SPG hotels as Marriotts, and put them into Cat 8.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by EdofFX
I thought Amex has the once in a lifetime limit, so you won't get another bonus thru the same card, ever. Since no one know whether Amex or Chase will emerge as the surviving credit card after the programs merged, we don't know whether there will be a new credit card product. If I were you, I would take this card for now. 120,000 Marriott points equal 40,000 SPG points. AMEX never offered that high a bonus. If either AMEX or Chase come up with a new product, I would then cancel what I have and apply for the new one. Just my opinion.

You can freely transfer between SPG and Marriott at least for now, so you can park your SPG points in the Marriott program if you worry about SPG devaluation. My personal worry is that Marriott will rebrand my two favorite cat 4 SPG hotels as Marriotts, and put them into Cat 8.
Regarding the Amex once in a lifetime limit, I had read somewhere that it is actually 7 years even though they call it lifetime. But I don't have any concrete datapoint one way or the other. May be people here have better knowledge about it.

So I finally applied for the 120K offer and got the dreaded 'Decision pending' page. AFAIK, I should be clear of the the 5/24 rule right now, even though I had opened a new Chase Freedom card less than a month ago. Will call the reconsideration line tomorrow. It could be just a credit limit issue. If anyone has any inputs/suggestions about what to say on the call, please do help me out. Just FYI, I'm also a Chase private client so wondering if it is better to call my local bank agent instead.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by unicon
Regarding the Amex once in a lifetime limit, I had read somewhere that it is actually 7 years even though they call it lifetime. But I don't have any concrete datapoint one way or the other. May be people here have better knowledge about it.

So I finally applied for the 120K offer and got the dreaded 'Decision pending' page. AFAIK, I should be clear of the the 5/24 rule right now, even though I had opened a new Chase Freedom card less than a month ago. Will call the reconsideration line tomorrow. It could be just a credit limit issue. If anyone has any inputs/suggestions about what to say on the call, please do help me out. Just FYI, I'm also a Chase private client so wondering if it is better to call my local bank agent instead.
Just an update that I called the reconsideration line and was approved for the card. The agent asked quite detailed questions about income, which was new to me. Have called the Chase reconsideration line a few times before and never had such questions asked.
Happy that they finally approved the card.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Does anyone know what the best current offer for a Marriott Business Card is?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
When you sign up for the card do you get the 15 nights credited immediately or need to wait till the first statement closes? I am short about 10 nights to renew Platinum so thinking of getting the card of the 15 nights would be credited this year.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, American Platinum, Southwest A-list
Chase Marriott Visa...Timeframe for Receiving New Card

I am in the process of planning a trip to the Big Island of Hawaii in mid January, and had originally intended to stay at a Hilton Grand Vacations Club. Unfortunately, the HGVC is sold out for the dates I'm interested in (1/14/18-1/21/18), and I'm eyeing a stay at the Marriott Vacation Club in Waikoloa. I am mostly a Hilton guy (HH Diamond) and have no status with Marriott; however, I figured now would be a great opportunity to get the Chase Marriott Card and earn the 80,000 bonus points for $3,000 spend plus bonus points for using the card to pay for my stay. My question is: How soon can Chase get the credit card to me once I'm approved? I would really like to make this reservation soon in case the property gets sold out, and the Marriott website is only accepting pre-paid reservations. I'd hate to wait 10 days to get the card and then have all the rooms sold out. Has anyone had any experience getting Chase to expedite the approval and delivery of a credit card? Should I simply call the number on the back of another Chase card I have and ask an agent? Any suggestions/guidance would be greatly appreciated! Aloha
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Hotel Points Guy
I am in the process of planning a trip to the Big Island of Hawaii in mid January, and had originally intended to stay at a Hilton Grand Vacations Club. Unfortunately, the HGVC is sold out for the dates I'm interested in (1/14/18-1/21/18), and I'm eyeing a stay at the Marriott Vacation Club in Waikoloa. I am mostly a Hilton guy (HH Diamond) and have no status with Marriott; however, I figured now would be a great opportunity to get the Chase Marriott Card and earn the 80,000 bonus points for $3,000 spend plus bonus points for using the card to pay for my stay. My question is: How soon can Chase get the credit card to me once I'm approved? I would really like to make this reservation soon in case the property gets sold out, and the Marriott website is only accepting pre-paid reservations. I'd hate to wait 10 days to get the card and then have all the rooms sold out. Has anyone had any experience getting Chase to expedite the approval and delivery of a credit card? Should I simply call the number on the back of another Chase card I have and ask an agent? Any suggestions/guidance would be greatly appreciated! Aloha
Chase cards arrive 5>8 days after approval. BUT, I just checked the Marriott site and the MWOC is NOT available using pts for your dates. Time to go to plan C. Sorry. If you have a Marriott account you can log in and see what properties are available using pts. The only property available on your dates in the CY on Palani Dr in Kona and it's 180K pts for 7 days. You're starting too late for the most popular time of the year in HI.

Our Marriott Rewards Forum has lots of info on all the Marriotts.

Last edited by philemer; Dec 22, 2017 at 9:27 am
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:47 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by philemer
Chase cards arrive 5>8 days after approval. BUT, I just checked the Marriott site and the MWOC is NOT available using pts for your dates. Time to go to plan C. Sorry. If you have a Marriott account you can log in and see what properties are available using pts. The only property available on your dates in the CY on Palani Dr in Kona and it's 180K pts for 7 days. You're starting too late for the most popular time of the year in HI.

Our Marriott Rewards Forum has lots of info on all the Marriotts.
May I am the one misunderstanding the OP, but it sounded like he/she is trying to get the Marriott CC to pay for a cash stay at MVC, not burning points. He/she wants to be able to earn bonus points and fulfill a big chunk of the minimum spend for the sign-up bonus charging the stay to the card.

LAX
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Hotel Points Guy
. I'd hate to wait 10 days to get the card and then have all the rooms sold out. )
If you're not over 5/24 you can put the reservation on any card you like, apply for the Marriott card and use that at check in - check out.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, American Platinum, Southwest A-list
Originally Posted by LAX
May I am the one misunderstanding the OP, but it sounded like he/she is trying to get the Marriott CC to pay for a cash stay at MVC, not burning points. He/she wants to be able to earn bonus points and fulfill a big chunk of the minimum spend for the sign-up bonus charging the stay to the card.
LAX
Thank you philemer and LAX for your responses. I'm sorry if I wasn't initially clear, but LAX stated the point that I was trying to get across in my original post. In a perfect world, it would be great to have the Marriott card to make and pay for the reservation, fulfill the $3000 minimum spend and earn bonus points all at the same time. Yet, I fear that if I apply for the card and wait 7-10 days for it to arrive, the rooms may all be gone and then I'd be looking for somewhere else to stay. I was simply wondering if there were a way to expedite the approval and shipping of the card, based on other people's experiences with Chase. I suppose I can always call and ask. I just don't want to wait too long and then lose out on a reservation all because I was a greedy points glutton
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
If you're not over 5/24 you can put the reservation on any card you like, apply for the Marriott card and use that at check in - check out.
Thanks mhdena, but the reservations I'm looking at are advanced purchase rates, which require full prepayment. Marriott is offering rates that do not require prepayment, and are cancellable up to 7 days before arrival, but they are substantially more expensive (the difference is nearly $1,000 over the week I'd be there). It would be great if I had the Marriott card today to make the advanced purchase reservation, but I fear that if I wait 7-10 days for a new card to arrive, all rates will either be more expensive than they are now, or (worse yet) the hotel may be completely sold out. I may call Chase and see if they can expedite the Marriott card. Otherwise, I will likely use my Chase Hyatt Visa to pay for the stay, as the Hyatt points could come in handy for award bookings later this summer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.