Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Marriott Credit Card Offers ARCHIVED (2016-2019)

Old Feb 20, 2016, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Please read this Wiki before posting questions in the thread.

This thread is a continuation of the pre-2016 discussion.

Note: Referrals are NOT allowed in this thread. Instead, see Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first)

The 5/24 rule for Chase, where 5 or more new accounts in 24 months can result in an application denial, appears to apply to Marriott personal cards but not the Business version of the Marriott card. For up to date information, please consult the wiki at Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward .

PERSONAL CARD
What are the current offers?

Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Visa card

Five free night Certificates for up to 50,000 points per night after making $5000 in purchases within 3 months of opening the card. $95 annual fee, not waived the first year. Certificates are valid for one year from date of issuance. 6x at Marriott, 2x on travel and everything else. There's also a host of other benefits with the Boundless.. please see the Chase link for details.

BUSINESS CARDS
Bonvoy Premiere Plus
__https://creditcards.chase.com/marriott/cardmember/premier_plus_business_benefits

Offers one free night award (up to 35K points) upon renewal and an additional free night with spend up to $60K in a year. 6x per $1 on Marriott spend, 4x on gas, restaurants, shipping and internet/cable/phone; 2x everything else

Bonvoy Business Card
__https://creditcards.chase.com/marriott/cardmember/rewards_benefits_
1x regular spend, 3x Marriott spend

Which offers are better?There is no universally correct answer. Relevant considerations include these:
  • Are you currently points-rich or cash poor? If you have 1 million Marriott points already, paying $85 for another 10K probably doesn't make sense.
  • What does your typical award redemption look like? Specifically, what yield (cents per point) do you normally get at the properties where you do award stays? Unless you're getting almost a penny a point--paying an $85 fee to buy an extra 10K points is not a good value proposition. (Adjust accordingly if you're considering paying the $99 fee for a business card with 80K bonus.)
  • Will the extra 10K put you over the top for a planned award? If getting another 10K will make the difference between having & not having enough points for an award you expect to book in the near future, taking the points generally makes sense. (Keep in mind that Marriott has added a cash & points award option for stays of 2+ nights, so you won't necessarily need the same number of points as in the past for a given award stay.)

I'm afraid to use a blind application page that doesn't list the signup bonus previously available on a now-expired landing page. How can I trust the links in the wiki?

How? The same way you'd trust the advice you're reading right now. If that makes you uneasy, OK -- but don't post in the thread asking for further reassurance. It'll be fine. Really.
Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards.
Once I meet the card's initial spending requirement, how soon will I receive my signup bonus points?

Bonus points typically accrue at the close of the billing period in which you incur the corresponding charges. Points should appear in your hotel/airline account within a few days thereafter.

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.
If I hold both personal and business Marriott cards, will I receive a 15-night credit toward status for each?

When will the Elite Night Credit for spend on the card (1 night for each $3K) appear in my account?

According to this discussion, it can take anywhere from one week to almost two months after the close of the applicable statement. There are also reports that the night posts approximately ten days after the calendar month that the $3k is reached, regardless of the statement closing date. So in this instance, if you need that night to reach status by the end of the year, the spend would need to be met by the end of November in order for the night to post in December.
How do I make a booking using a free-night cert?
Can I exchange a soon-to-expire free-night cert for points? Extend its expiration? What if the cert has already expired?
If I cancel my card after the annual free-night cert has posted, will I lose the cert?

See the wiki at Chase Free Night Certificate
Are there bonuses for signing up for the Marriott Rewards program itself?

Yes. There are two publicly available offers for new members to the Marriott Rewards program itself: If you think it's possible you will have any paid Marriott stays after you join, you should sign up for one of these offers before applying for the credit card. Make sure you give your new Marriott Rewards number on the credit card application, to tie the offers together.

Print Wikipost

Chase Marriott Credit Card Offers ARCHIVED (2016-2019)

Old Feb 23, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by beltway
As explained in detail in the resource referenced in the wiki at the top of this page, the current test is whether you've gotten a bonus for the same card in past 24 months. You haven't.

Freedom now. Finish the (very low) spend, lower the CL, and then do the Marriott before the 5/24 rule supposedly kicks in this April.
Thanks, beltway. What's the reasoning here? I think I'll be fine on the CL and (as you say) low spend. And I can MS $10k in a day, so no concerns re meeting spend. Is the risk that I'll be declined for #2 Marriott greater than the benefit of potentially 1 hard pull?

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Feb 23, 2016 at 6:04 pm
Old Feb 23, 2016, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Thanks, beltway. What's the reasoning here? I think I'll be fine on the CL and (as you say) low spend. And I can MS $10k in a day, so no concerns re meeting spend. Is the risk that I'll be declined for #2 Marriott greater than the benefit of potentially 1 hard pull?
Unless you have some desperate need to limit hard pulls, better to take the cards in turn:
  • Freedom is subject to 5/24, so do it first.
  • Chase will probably give you a large(ish) CL on whichever card they aprove first. If you apply for 2 in one day, you may be turned down for the second & then have to go to recon, which is a crap-shoot.
  • Marriott & other co-branded cards not currently subject to 5/24, so do that/those second--after you lower any excessive CL on the first card.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by beltway
Unless you have some desperate need to limit hard pulls, better to take the cards in turn:
  • Freedom is subject to 5/24, so do it first.
  • Chase will probably give you a large(ish) CL on whichever card they aprove first. If you apply for 2 in one day, you may be turned down for the second & then have to go to recon, which is a crap-shoot.
  • Marriott & other co-branded cards not currently subject to 5/24, so do that/those second--after you lower any excessive CL on the first card.
Got it. Yes, I freaking hate recon. Will do Freedom today and Marriott in two weeks or so, certainly before the end of March. I may also go ahead and do the Citi AA today before that offer is reduced.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:31 pm

Anyone know if the 70K with the 1st year waived will be back because the one posted in OP is no longer valid.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Lightbulb Waiting on anniversary 15 Elite Nights before cancelling old card

I am a couple months from my 3-year anniversary with this card.

By waiting until then to cancel my existing card and re-apply, I will get the 15 nights for my anniversary. As an infrequent guest, those free nights are very important toward my long-term (lifetime) aspirations, well worth the $85 annual fee.

I hope this 80K bonus is still available by then!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:48 am

Applied on February 17th . Received 30 days message everyday. Today I checked my account and my Marriott account is there for a whopping 26 CL.
I have had 6 hard inquiries, 5 from Citi and 1 from SPG for my AMEX biz in last 6 months.
I have had 13 hard inquiries within the past year.
Last Chase card application was May 2015 for the United Explorer

Close the Marriott Card November 23, 2013 so I should be able to get the bonus points.

Last edited by metoo; Feb 25, 2016 at 6:02 am
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
I am a couple months from my 3-year anniversary with this card.

By waiting until then to cancel my existing card and re-apply, I will get the 15 nights for my anniversary. As an infrequent guest, those free nights are very important toward my long-term (lifetime) aspirations, well worth the $85 annual fee.

I hope this 80K bonus is still available by then!
Can you please explain this?
I have been with the card for almost 3 years too now, how would it work with closing and reopening to get another sign up bonus?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Originally Posted by metoo
Applied on February 17th . Received 30 days message everyday. Today I checked my account and my Marriott account is there for a whopping 26 CL.
Where do you check on your acct? Is there a tab wnen we sign on to our Marriott acct or does it actually show up on the main page?
I applied about a week ago, but not sure where to check for updates. Thank you.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by elitefusion
Can you please explain this?
I have been with the card for almost 3 years too now, how would it work with closing and reopening to get another sign up bonus?
in order to get the bonus again, it has to have been at least 24 months since your bonus points posted and you can't currently have the card. So you shut it down anytime after 2 years (from the points posting) and re-apply.

the poster you quoted wanted to wait for his annual 15 night credit to hit and will have to weigh the value against getting the 87500 point offer because if he waits too long to cancel he may not get the card again if co-branded cards are subject to the 5/24 limitation....I think unless the 15 nights are needed to earn status this year, he is better off canceling and getting the points....for the annual fee that is a lot of points vs missing out on 15 nights that will be valuable someday, maybe.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by mumum17
Where do you check on your acct? Is there a tab wnen we sign on to our Marriott acct or does it actually show up on the main page?
its a chase card so you check your chase accounts...check your Marriott account after doing the minimum spend to make sure the reward points post.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by elitefusion
Anyone know if the 70K with the 1st year waived will be back because the one posted in OP is no longer valid.
nobody knows...for now it is gone and at least the offer is 80k instead of 60k....personally I think the extra 10k is worth the AF and if you pay it the first year chances are you can get it waived the second year.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:04 pm

So, I signed up back on 2013 and used Amazon Payments back when it was still around to send the $1000 in 12/2013, that I needed to get the points, I cannot go that far back on Marriott Rewards site to see when they were posted.
I have used several nights throughout last year for the first time and I am still at 70K points according to the Marriott Rewards website...So, if I close this card say today, I can re-apply for it tomorrow and get the 87500 points again?

Please advise, because this is totally new for me. Also, the payment for the card came in on January of this year which I have already paid, if I cancel the card, will the reimburse, so I dont have to pay the yearly fee twice if I go this route?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by mumum17

on the main page with my other chase cards
Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by wise2u
in order to get the bonus again, it has to have been at least 24 months since your bonus points posted and you can't currently have the card. So you shut it down anytime after 2 years (from the points posting) and re-apply.

the poster you quoted wanted to wait for his annual 15 night credit to hit and will have to weigh the value against getting the 87500 point offer because if he waits too long to cancel he may not get the card again if co-branded cards are subject to the 5/24 limitation....I think unless the 15 nights are needed to earn status this year, he is better off canceling and getting the points....for the annual fee that is a lot of points vs missing out on 15 nights that will be valuable someday, maybe.
So this 5/24 rule only applies to people who have gotten more than 5 cards within 24 months right? If I wanted to get the card and bonus again after that then its still possible.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Thanks wise2u and metoo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.