FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1746972-ihg-rewards-mastercard-now-60-000-pts.html)

frmnj Jan 2, 2016 1:40 am

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

How exactly are you guys requesting match to 80K and what are you saying? Am trying to apply for spouse and the best I see is 60K + $50 statement credit, so thinking of biting the bullet and asking for a "match"

runb4fun Jan 2, 2016 9:11 am

Originally Posted by frmnj (Post 25948315)
How exactly are you guys requesting match to 80K and what are you saying? Am trying to apply for spouse and the best I see is 60K + $50 statement credit, so thinking of biting the bullet and asking for a "match"

that is what I did. Chase welcomes matching via SM.
you can take a screenshot of this if needed
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg...plus?CELL=6JLF

Alternatively, register for IHG and you might run into 80k offer. I got one after I already had the card. I personally wouldn't bother with this since chase always matches offer.

wholeinone04 Jan 3, 2016 1:15 pm

I applied for the IHG card 60k offer for wife last night and got please call us soon screen.

So called today and after long hold the rep verified name/address/social/income/employer and then started asking about why I had 8 new accounts in past 12 mos. Told her it was bc of work/travel/etc, stay at a lot of hotels so like to use the hotel cards that get me 3-5x pts and rep seemed cool with it.

Then put me on a long hold to review my credit (15 mins) and eventually came back and denied bc of too many new accounts in past 12 mos.. :(

Argued for a while, asked to move credit, etc but rep wouldn't budge..

jsk1973 Jan 3, 2016 2:29 pm

I assume you had read this and/or other Chase-related threads before applying?

wholeinone04 Jan 3, 2016 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by jsk1973 (Post 25955278)
I assume you had read this and/or other Chase-related threads before applying?

Yea I did but I guess not close enough. I honestly haven't done much cc stuff in a few months but I was aware of chase's new 5 card/24 month rule but thought it didn't apply to co-branded cards like IHG.

Sounds like now you can't even call in at all even on co-branded cards if you go pending so there's no hope either for reconsideration if you're a churner?

It was just weird bc as soon as I applied, it said to call in, which is usually a verification issue (this is wife's card and we just got married (new last name) and moved so figured it had to be one of those) IME. But the # they gave me was lending services which is same as reconsideration I think so I should have hung up?

I'm pretty confused at this pt...

jsk1973 Jan 3, 2016 7:01 pm

The 5/24 rule doesn't apply to co-branded cards but the "Don't call!" maxim certainly does, as do, of course, Chase's usual underwriting standards.

If you're an existing Chase customer, asking for recon via SM seems to be the higher-percentage play.

wholeinone04 Jan 4, 2016 12:13 am

Originally Posted by jsk1973 (Post 25956359)
The 5/24 rule doesn't apply to co-branded cards but the "Don't call!" maxim certainly does, as do, of course, Chase's usual underwriting standards.

If you're an existing Chase customer, asking for recon via SM seems to be the higher-percentage play.

I've had similar #'s of accounts/inquiries every year for past 5-6 years, never had a problem calling in to Chase and getting them to approve me :) I guess things have changed.

Vay Jan 4, 2016 2:44 am

I tried the link in the wiki for 80k and $50 statement credit. I was redirected to the 60k landing page.

I logged into IHG and searched for reservations to see what credit offers I would receive. After clicking Check Rates, you would see what is being offered to you.

First I received the offer for 60k and $50 statement credit.

Went incognito mode and tried again. I saw the 80k and $50 statement credit. Click on the link and it took me to the landing page. Clicked Apply Now and it took me to the application page with no redirection to the 60k offer. I just applied and got approved.

It'll take you to the offer with the code FGKL, same as the wiki. If it works, it'll take you to the page where the offer code is 6ZZN. I did some more testing, it seems you have to be logged into IHG, make a reservation, click on the link from the bottom of the page after checking rates, then click apply. Information on first page of the app is pre-populated from your IHG account.

buvan Jan 4, 2016 11:35 am

Originally Posted by buvan (Post 25938921)
When did you do this? I am planning to apply. Thanks in advance..

I have applied and matched the 80K via SM :)... thanks guys

nineworldseries Jan 4, 2016 11:43 am

Originally Posted by wholeinone04 (Post 25954939)
I applied for the IHG card 60k offer for wife last night and got please call us soon screen.

So called today and after long hold the rep verified name/address/social/income/employer and then started asking about why I had 8 new accounts in past 12 mos. Told her it was bc of work/travel/etc, stay at a lot of hotels so like to use the hotel cards that get me 3-5x pts and rep seemed cool with it.

Then put me on a long hold to review my credit (15 mins) and eventually came back and denied bc of too many new accounts in past 12 mos.. :(

Not trying to rub it in, just another data point, but I applied for the 60k+$50 offer with exactly 8 new cards in 12 months as well. Instantly approved for my 6th open Chase card.

buvan Jan 4, 2016 11:57 am

Originally Posted by nineworldseries (Post 25960033)
Not trying to rub it in, just another data point, but I applied for the 60k+$50 offer with exactly 8 new cards in 12 months as well. Instantly approved for my 6th open Chase card.

Nice to hear.. try to match 80K points via Secure Message...

ned Jan 4, 2016 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by waygora (Post 25925161)
Just did this, they were happy to match to the 80K

When do you SM Chase. I am currently in the "We will let you know within 30 days". What reason do you give for requesting the match? Thanks

jsk1973 Jan 4, 2016 3:29 pm

Don't SM until after your app is approved.

bjk497 Jan 4, 2016 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by wholeinone04 (Post 25954939)

I had a very similar experience on my recent British Airways application (except I opened 15 accounts in 2015). I played dumb and said I recently started travelling more and wanted to get all of the hotel and airline credit cards to earn the most points and that I didn't know it was a bad thing to open new accounts. After a 5 minute lecture and then being placed on hold, she offered to move credit from some of my other Chase cards. I had recently decreased the CL on one of my other cards via SM in hopes of getting auto-approved so that kind of back-fired.

Hemera Jan 9, 2016 8:55 pm

Earlier today I was on a recon line with Chase about my United MP application. Thankfully, they approved it. Now I'd like to apply for the IHG card. Is a month a reasonable time to wait?