Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is now archived.

Continue the discussion here: HERE

Prior thread: Pre-2016 discussions archived HERE.

Similar thread on IHG Forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1232030-annual-free-night-cert-ihg-rewards-club-visa-mastercard-23.html Currently, the IHG credit card is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2018, a new IHG card is being released. There are changes, including a limit to the value of the annual free night certificate (40,000 point vs. any hotel).
Ongoing discussion can be found here, in the IHG forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...valuation.html

Existing card members can use "any hotel" certificates that were issued/will be issued prior to April 30th. Any Anniversary Night issued BEFORE May 1, 2018 is still valid at any IHG hotel worldwide.
Certificates issued AFTER May 1 will be under the new T & C's.

From Chase:

Update: We’re changing the Anniversary Free Night on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card

On May 1, 2018, we’re changing the Anniversary Free Night benefit associated with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card.

Here’s what’s changing
Currently, we award this Anniversary Free Night each year after your anniversary date, and it is redeemable at any IHG property. Going forward, Anniversary Free Nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be redeemable at eligible IHG hotels with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.

Here is the list of IHG hotels that will NO LONGER be available for certificate redemption: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night?_PMID=99634986&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4453693-_-7718223-_-www.ihg.com%2Fcontent&glat=AFFI&setPMCookies=true& url=https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night

Current public offers, as of 9/1/17
See post 527 regarding an 80,000-point offer: "When I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer."

All offers have the following terms/benefits:
  • Signup bonus earned after $1,000/$2000 spend in first 3 months
  • Starting on the first anniversary of account opening, a free night every year at any [effective with Anniversary Certs issued on 01 May 2018, redeemable only at properties 40,000 points and under] IHG hotel. (Cert may be redeemed online.)
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas, groceries and dining
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions. ("Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account")
  • No fee 1st year, then $49.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  • IHG Platinum status for as long as you hold the card.
Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2016, 6:56 pm

thank you beltway.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
got matched to 80k, provided that i forfeit the $50 credit that came w/ my 60k point signing bonus
Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
After looking through the archived thread, I was not able to find an answer to a question I have about the conversion from Visa to MC back in 2014.

I got an IHG Visa in April, 2014. I got the bonus when the card was a Visa card. Then a few months later I got the letter about the MC conversion. I immediately canceled the card. For a couple of weeks after the account was canceled, the Visa card number was still on my online account. Then the canceled account was changed to a MC number. I sent an SM at the time, and the agent said that the MC conversion didn't matter at that point. But we all know agents can be wrong.

So now with the 5/24 rule possibly happening by April of 2016, I am curious about my eligibility for the 80k bonus right now. Has anyone who got the letter for MC conversion back in 2014 been able to re-apply and get the bonus again in less than 2 years?

Thanks.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DaveH
Thanks Happy. Will be patient. I got approved on Feb 17, received and used the card today.
Data point: profile was updated with Platinum status on Feb 29, same day I received an email encouraging me to use the card.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
My first statement closed Friday March 4, with $1000 posted.

Was mildly surprised to see 1000 in IHG points on the statement, with no mention of the 80,000 bonus points. I thought it would show on the statement once the $1,000 spend threshold had been crossed.

Any recent data points on this?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:49 pm

am in the same boat

wiki suggests this is still normal so i'll give it another cycle
Old Mar 6, 2016, 9:06 pm

Anyone with recent experience in getting the 80k match after signing up for the 60k? I'm looking to stay 10 nights at IHG properties in May. Figured I'd open the card to rack up a few extra points.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 10:44 pm

Was mildly surprised to see 1000 in IHG points on the statement, with no mention of the 80,000 bonus points. I thought it would show on the statement once the $1,000 spend threshold had been crossed.

Have you read the wiki--specifically, the section labeled
Q. Once I meet the $1000 spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by beltway
Have you read the wiki--specifically, the section labeled
Q. Once I meet the $1000 spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Thank you beltway. While there is nothing in this thread's wiki, there is a "note" appended to the previous thread's wiki that does address my case directly:

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.

This is interesting, as it is NOT consistent with spouse's very recent experience with the Hyatt Visa card and the 50,000 bonus points. Chase's processing with IHG must work differently.

(And I do apologize for missing this in the old wiki. I did use the "thread search" tool in this thread before asking the question, and certainly agree with you that a wiki (and the larger thread, for that matter) should be checked before asking a question.)
Old Mar 7, 2016, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you beltway. While there is nothing in this thread's wiki, there is a "note" appended to the previous thread's wiki that does address my case directly:

This is interesting, as it is NOT consistent with spouse's very recent experience with the Hyatt Visa card and the 50,000 bonus points. Chase's processing with IHG must work differently.

(And I do apologize for missing this in the old wiki. I did use the "thread search" tool in this thread before asking the question, and certainly agree with you that a wiki (and the larger thread, for that matter) should be checked before asking a question.)
Hyatt card is the Outliner of Chase cards - in that, Hyatt would post your free nights within a few days after you met the spend, has absolutely no relationship to the statement closing date.

However, are you sure that is a Hyatt card from Chase?! Because Hyatt card standard bonus is 2 free night certs after meeting spend, $50 statement credit and 5K pts only, not a 50K bonus..

Rest assured, what beltway directed you to read, is The Norm of how Chase cards operate.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 4:30 pm

Thanks for chiming in happy.

I am indeed sure on the Chase Hyatt card. You are of course correct about their standard opening bonus (two nights any Hyatt), which is what I received. But last fall, they ran alternate targeted offers of 50K points--a better deal for anyone who won't be using a Cat 7 property in the next year. So Ms. DH grabbed that offer. And that offer posted right away.

Interesting that the Hyatt is the outlier.

Had I been better informed on this, I would have posted the last spend > 10 days before the cycle close. Ah well, likely won't need the IHG points before May anyway.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
got matched to 80k, provided that i forfeit the $50 credit that came w/ my 60k point signing bonus
+1

Did you accept the offer? I am deciding now. 20000 points seems like a good deal for $50, or am I missing something?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:17 am

Same here. Hit the threshold and no bonus. I PM'd customer service RE: matching the 80k offer and was told the entire 80k will be credited on next months statement.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bigdave10000
+1

Did you accept the offer? I am deciding now. 20000 points seems like a good deal for $50, or am I missing something?
Yeah, it's paying 0.25cpp. Even IHG's best point sales only get the price down to 0.575cpp. And an extremely conservative valuation of redemption value would be 0.3cpp, minimum. Easy call to me.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by bigdave10000
+1

Yeah, but I asked to match the 80K+$50 if possible. Still waiting to hear back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.