Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is now archived.

Continue the discussion here: HERE

Prior thread: Pre-2016 discussions archived HERE.

Similar thread on IHG Forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1232030-annual-free-night-cert-ihg-rewards-club-visa-mastercard-23.html Currently, the IHG credit card is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2018, a new IHG card is being released. There are changes, including a limit to the value of the annual free night certificate (40,000 point vs. any hotel).
Ongoing discussion can be found here, in the IHG forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...valuation.html

Existing card members can use "any hotel" certificates that were issued/will be issued prior to April 30th. Any Anniversary Night issued BEFORE May 1, 2018 is still valid at any IHG hotel worldwide.
Certificates issued AFTER May 1 will be under the new T & C's.

From Chase:

Update: We’re changing the Anniversary Free Night on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card

On May 1, 2018, we’re changing the Anniversary Free Night benefit associated with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card.

Here’s what’s changing
Currently, we award this Anniversary Free Night each year after your anniversary date, and it is redeemable at any IHG property. Going forward, Anniversary Free Nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be redeemable at eligible IHG hotels with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.

Here is the list of IHG hotels that will NO LONGER be available for certificate redemption: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night?_PMID=99634986&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4453693-_-7718223-_-www.ihg.com%2Fcontent&glat=AFFI&setPMCookies=true& url=https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night

Current public offers, as of 9/1/17
See post 527 regarding an 80,000-point offer: "When I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer."

All offers have the following terms/benefits:
  • Signup bonus earned after $1,000/$2000 spend in first 3 months
  • Starting on the first anniversary of account opening, a free night every year at any [effective with Anniversary Certs issued on 01 May 2018, redeemable only at properties 40,000 points and under] IHG hotel. (Cert may be redeemed online.)
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas, groceries and dining
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions. ("Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account")
  • No fee 1st year, then $49.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  • IHG Platinum status for as long as you hold the card.
Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2016, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
But then IHG Plat has VERY LITTLE benefits. A small upgrade sometimes. Amenity points of 250 or a single drink despite 2 guests... pretty much about it. IHG Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, HH Silver - they are just a tiny tiny bit better than nobody.
I think that really depends where you're. In the US, I agree, you'll get close to nothing, but in Asia / Middle East you might get some decent benefits.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
I think that really depends where you're. In the US, I agree, you'll get close to nothing, but in Asia / Middle East you might get some decent benefits.
Europe where we primarily travel to, is similar to US. The one drink only policy is annoying when you have 2 guests in a room.

Asia slightly better - even got a partial harbor view upgrade at IC HKG on free night cert, fruit plate and drink chits. Though they forgot the fruit plate on 2nd night (different booking) despite it was on the letter. We returned at 8pm and decided to let it go.

No experience in Middle East.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Europe where we primarily travel to, is similar to US. The one drink only policy is annoying when you have 2 guests in a room.

Asia slightly better - even got a partial harbor view upgrade at IC HKG on free night cert, fruit plate and drink chits. Though they forgot the fruit plate on 2nd night (different booking) despite it was on the letter. We returned at 8pm and decided to let it go.

No experience in Middle East.
I had the MC card (and the status) for only 6 month and have only one data point from the Middle East. Stayed in Crownie Plaza near the airport at Abu Dhabi with two friends. We (supposedly) got a room upgrade, definitely got a fruit plate along with a handwritten note and four drink tickets. That location also participates in Dining Rewards, so got a 25% discount on meal at one of the restaurants at the hotel.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:14 pm
xyc

Hey, I have a question about the 10% points rebate. I was approved for this card on February 16. Later that day, I booked a reward reservation for 45,000 points at a hotel that was about to increase to 50,000 points per night. My IHG account does not yet reflect my Platinum status, so I assume it was not yet linked when I made the reservation.

The terms of the 10% rebate read, "Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account, and 4 to 6 weeks after date of redemption for all other (non-Reward Night) redemption items." But to get the rebate, do I need to be a recognized credit card holder at the time of points redemption for a reward night stay or only when I finish the stay?

Thanks for any help.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xyc
Hey, I have a question about the 10% points rebate. I was approved for this card on February 16. Later that day, I booked a reward reservation for 45,000 points at a hotel that was about to increase to 50,000 points per night. My IHG account does not yet reflect my Platinum status, so I assume it was not yet linked when I made the reservation.

The terms of the 10% rebate read, "Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account, and 4 to 6 weeks after date of redemption for all other (non-Reward Night) redemption items." But to get the rebate, do I need to be a recognized credit card holder at the time of points redemption for a reward night stay or only when I finish the stay?

Thanks for any help.
No idea on your situation but you always contact IHG Guest Relations should the rebate not post.

Keep in mind, the rebate does not happen until the month AFTER you finish the stay.

It apparently is a batch process so if your stay is before 15th of the month, you most likely get the 10% rebate in the month following the stay. If your stay is after 15th of the month, sometimes the 10% rebate takes another month to post to your account. If after 2 months the rebate still does not post, but the stay itself is posted, call IHG customer service and the rep generally can fix it on the call.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 5:38 pm

read back and didnt see this, but does anyone have two of these cards and would you get two free nights? Can convert another card to this, no bonus first year, but would after?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by leftpinky
read back and didnt see this, but does anyone have two of these cards and would you get two free nights?
Answered in the wiki at the top of the page. (Well, in the resource to which the wiki points, but same difference.)

Wiki is visible only in desktop mode; if you're in mobile interface, switch to "View Full Site."
Old Feb 22, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Apologies if this has been asked an answered, but I didn't see it in either wiki...

How long before your status changes to reflect the card ownership on IHG.com?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveH
Apologies if this has been asked an answered, but I didn't see it in either wiki...

How long before your status changes to reflect the card ownership on IHG.com?
No telling. This seems to be batch-processed. Some reported it took a few weeks, some reported it took a few days. Mine was 2 days after I verified receipt of the card or 10 days from an instant approval.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Thanks Happy. Will be patient. I got approved on Feb 17, received and used the card today.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:47 am

I have been a holder of this account for some time.
i made a charge of 64.60Pounds online for a nonrefundable IHG booking. on 2/18
I was hit with $95.41 USD charge.
https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/

Per the Master card site or even Visa's or googling, the rate was about 1.427. Per the 95.41/64.60 division, i get a rate of 1.477!

Chase told me that IHG charged me in USD. I strongly doubt this as my receipt from IHG shows GBP and i believe it's a case of an incompetent rep. My statement unfortunately has not closed so i can't dig into it.

Anyone face something similar or its just IHG charges excessive rates? I've used the card overseas and have never been hit w the foreign conversion fee.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by kaiotes
Per the Master card site or even Visa's or googling, the rate was about 1.427. Per the 95.41/64.60 division, i get a rate of 1.477!

Chase told me that IHG charged me in USD. I strongly doubt this as my receipt from IHG shows GBP and i believe it's a case of an incompetent rep. My statement unfortunately has not closed so i can't dig into it.

Anyone face something similar or its just IHG charges excessive rates? I've used the card overseas and have never been hit w the foreign conversion fee.
See the ongoing discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...all-cards.html. IIRC, people have observed recurring issues with hidden costs built into Chase Visa exchange rates, but not MC, and in any event nothing as extreme as what you describe.

It's probably worth checking with IHG (or the property at issue) to make sure you weren't hit with the old DCC trick.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
See the ongoing discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...all-cards.html. IIRC, people have observed recurring issues with hidden costs built into Chase Visa exchange rates, but not MC, and in any event nothing as extreme as what you describe.

It's probably worth checking with IHG (or the property at issue) to make sure you weren't hit with the old DCC trick.
The poster made a booking online, so I am not sure the merchant could pull an DCC the usual way.

However OP can dispute the excess of exchange ONCE his statement closes and he can see what the currency billed is either USD (he is DCCed) or GBP. If it is in USD, then he can file dispute following the instruction in the DCC thread.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 3:04 pm

When does the next point break come out and how often do they repeat the same hotels?

How do they decide which hotel to pick for point break? The hotel i'm interested in was in pointbreak in 2013.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by runb4fun
When does the next point break come out and how often do they repeat the same hotels?

How do they decide which hotel to pick for point break? The hotel i'm interested in was in pointbreak in 2013.
Discussion on this issue can be found (and should be pursued) in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...on-thread.html

Also useful is the carefully curated list of current PBs (and archive of past PBs at CP/IC properties) found at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...hg-hotels.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.