Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is now archived.

Continue the discussion here: HERE

Prior thread: Pre-2016 discussions archived HERE.

Similar thread on IHG Forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1232030-annual-free-night-cert-ihg-rewards-club-visa-mastercard-23.html Currently, the IHG credit card is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2018, a new IHG card is being released. There are changes, including a limit to the value of the annual free night certificate (40,000 point vs. any hotel).
Ongoing discussion can be found here, in the IHG forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...valuation.html

Existing card members can use "any hotel" certificates that were issued/will be issued prior to April 30th. Any Anniversary Night issued BEFORE May 1, 2018 is still valid at any IHG hotel worldwide.
Certificates issued AFTER May 1 will be under the new T & C's.

From Chase:

Update: We’re changing the Anniversary Free Night on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card

On May 1, 2018, we’re changing the Anniversary Free Night benefit associated with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card.

Here’s what’s changing
Currently, we award this Anniversary Free Night each year after your anniversary date, and it is redeemable at any IHG property. Going forward, Anniversary Free Nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be redeemable at eligible IHG hotels with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.

Here is the list of IHG hotels that will NO LONGER be available for certificate redemption: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night?_PMID=99634986&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4453693-_-7718223-_-www.ihg.com%2Fcontent&glat=AFFI&setPMCookies=true& url=https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night

Current public offers, as of 9/1/17
See post 527 regarding an 80,000-point offer: "When I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer."

All offers have the following terms/benefits:
  • Signup bonus earned after $1,000/$2000 spend in first 3 months
  • Starting on the first anniversary of account opening, a free night every year at any [effective with Anniversary Certs issued on 01 May 2018, redeemable only at properties 40,000 points and under] IHG hotel. (Cert may be redeemed online.)
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas, groceries and dining
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions. ("Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account")
  • No fee 1st year, then $49.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  • IHG Platinum status for as long as you hold the card.
Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
So I went to make a reservation and saw them target me for an 80K +$50 credit offer. That is pretty amazing but it is targeted as it will redirect you to the 60k if you do not qualify. Of course, I already have the IHG cc so unless I can get 2!!!? It would be amazing if that was possible haha https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg...plus?CELL=6ZZN
Where and how in the reservation process does the offer show up? Is it a pop up window?

I have been trying to make dummy reservations I don't see anything by the time I get to the last step before making a reservation.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:52 pm

Turn off ad blockers, and it'll show up on the payment page where you enter your credit card info.

Not sure if you need to be an elite member to see the 80k plus fifty dollar statement credit, my no status account only sees the 60k plus statement credit offer
Old Feb 16, 2016, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by radenzo
Are you guys getting instant approval?

Called the 877 number with 80K offer, submitted the app and it is pending for approval/ denial
I didn't get instant. I've opened a few accounts this year so I figured that was why. I called 888-245-0625, they asked me a few "verification" questions, transferred me to another agent who asked me a couple more and was approved while on the line.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pochama
Where and how in the reservation process does the offer show up? Is it a pop up window?

I have been trying to make dummy reservations I don't see anything by the time I get to the last step before making a reservation.
Try to finish your booking all the way to the end - you have nothing to lose booking a fully refundable rate.

On My Reservation screen, it is not a pop up but an image that is clickable right on the top of the reservation list on the left side. Mine stayed there on My Reservation page for several months then it disappeared within an hour or so after submitting an application.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by crimsona
Turn off ad blockers, and it'll show up on the payment page where you enter your credit card info.

Not sure if you need to be an elite member to see the 80k plus fifty dollar statement credit, my no status account only sees the 60k plus statement credit offer
Originally Posted by Happy
Try to finish your booking all the way to the end - you have nothing to lose booking a fully refundable rate.

On My Reservation screen, it is not a pop up but an image that is clickable right on the top of the reservation list on the left side. Mine stayed there on My Reservation page for several months then it disappeared within an hour or so after submitting an application.
Thanks, I see it now. I only get the 60k + $50 statement credit offer unfortunately. Did you have any status with IHG when the offer was showing up?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:34 am

It showed in mine and SO's account as well. We're both Platinum though, due to having the Chase IHG card.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Happy

You saw the 80K + $50 credit offer here? Do you have platinum status?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lkat
You saw the 80K + $50 credit offer here? Do you have platinum status?
No. I fell to Gold after canceled my 5 years old IHG card late last year. I saw the regular 80K in my account home page within a day or 2 after I closed the card but did not apply because I wanted the BA card first and got BA card first week of Dec.

In January when I made reservations for an upcoming trip in April I saw the 80K+ $50 Ad not only as a pop up but also shown in My Reservation page. I did not apply until a few weeks later in order to give 2 months lapse from the BA app - the ad was in My Reservation all the time until a couple hours after submitting application last week.

Immediately after I submitted the app I went back to the My Reservation and made a screen shot of the page showing my first name, IHG number, account balance, the 80K+$50 Ad, and the reservation list just in case, even though the Ad never redirected. The Ad disappeared when I checked again a couple hours later.

As of now, my account status remains Gold. Card was instantly approved on 02/10 Wed but has not arrived yet.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 17, 2016 at 4:56 pm
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikex163
It showed in mine and SO's account as well. We're both Platinum though, due to having the Chase IHG card.
Interesting. DH is Spire and his IHG card just passed first anniversary. His account never sees the offer which only makes sense as he has the card.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:14 pm

Someone mentioned earlier that the promo code is different for the 80k+$50 offer; I noticed that if you get a lesser offer and then click past the initial application page where your information is pre-filled, you can change the URL to have a different code and it still lets you proceed. Has anyone tried this?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
What's a nice way of asking for the 80k matching? Since it's not a publicly offered promo, I'm not sure how to word my request.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:54 am

were you already approved?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Pochama

I don't need to do a dummy booking to see the 80K $50 credit offer. I'm Gold and while logged in I can see the offer at the bottom of the list of hotels after doing a search. I still see it now two days after applying for the card and getting instant approval.

Anyone know how long it takes to get the Platinum status assigned?

Never mind - found the answer in the archived thread. 6 to 8 weeks but apparently Chase will expedite it by request.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23636980-post2114.html

Last edited by Slickw; Feb 19, 2016 at 6:17 am
Old Feb 19, 2016, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
What's a nice way of asking for the 80k matching? Since it's not a publicly offered promo, I'm not sure how to word my request.
A friend of yours got the 80k, so you would like to know if it available for you as well.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Slickw
I don't need to do a dummy booking to see the 80K $50 credit offer. I'm Gold and while logged in I can see the offer at the bottom of the list of hotels after doing a search. I still see it now two days after applying for the card and getting instant approval.

Anyone know how long it takes to get the Platinum status assigned?

Never mind - found the answer in the archived thread. 6 to 8 weeks but apparently Chase will expedite it by request.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23636980-post2114.html
Much quicker than that. I received my card 2 days ago and finally turned around to verify receipt.
My account shows Plat now.

But then IHG Plat has VERY LITTLE benefits. A small upgrade sometimes. Amenity points of 250 or a single drink despite 2 guests... pretty much about it. IHG Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, HH Silver - they are just a tiny tiny bit better than nobody.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.