Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is now archived.

Continue the discussion here: HERE

Prior thread: Pre-2016 discussions archived HERE.

Similar thread on IHG Forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1232030-annual-free-night-cert-ihg-rewards-club-visa-mastercard-23.html Currently, the IHG credit card is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2018, a new IHG card is being released. There are changes, including a limit to the value of the annual free night certificate (40,000 point vs. any hotel).
Ongoing discussion can be found here, in the IHG forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...valuation.html

Existing card members can use "any hotel" certificates that were issued/will be issued prior to April 30th. Any Anniversary Night issued BEFORE May 1, 2018 is still valid at any IHG hotel worldwide.
Certificates issued AFTER May 1 will be under the new T & C's.

From Chase:

Update: We’re changing the Anniversary Free Night on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card

On May 1, 2018, we’re changing the Anniversary Free Night benefit associated with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card.

Here’s what’s changing
Currently, we award this Anniversary Free Night each year after your anniversary date, and it is redeemable at any IHG property. Going forward, Anniversary Free Nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be redeemable at eligible IHG hotels with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.

Here is the list of IHG hotels that will NO LONGER be available for certificate redemption: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night?_PMID=99634986&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4453693-_-7718223-_-www.ihg.com%2Fcontent&glat=AFFI&setPMCookies=true& url=https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night

Current public offers, as of 9/1/17
See post 527 regarding an 80,000-point offer: "When I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer."

All offers have the following terms/benefits:
  • Signup bonus earned after $1,000/$2000 spend in first 3 months
  • Starting on the first anniversary of account opening, a free night every year at any [effective with Anniversary Certs issued on 01 May 2018, redeemable only at properties 40,000 points and under] IHG hotel. (Cert may be redeemed online.)
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas, groceries and dining
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions. ("Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account")
  • No fee 1st year, then $49.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  • IHG Platinum status for as long as you hold the card.
Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by jn in ca
The links in the Wiki now lead to 60000 point offers. However, I just made a reservation on the IHG website. The banner on top of the IHG page was for 60000, but when I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer.
When I just went to do a dummy booking, just at the end where the point of clicking "book reservation" I was only presented with the 60,000 + $50 credit offer.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by mstrbldr
When I just went to do a dummy booking, just at the end where the point of clicking "book reservation" I was only presented with the 60,000 + $50 credit offer.
Any luck finding the 80,000?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:13 am

Quick question...what is a good rate to buy ihg points at? And are there any deals available now?

Thanks
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Caribgrl
....what is a good rate to buy ihg points....
It seldom makes sense to buy points on speculation. Look at a specific redemption, see what the room you would book with money would cost, and the total number of points required for a similar room. This will allow you to assign a monetary value of a point. Be sure to take into account the points you would earn if you paid with money.
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:59 am
RNE

Originally Posted by mia
Be sure to take into account the points you would earn if you paid with money.
And counter that with the points you will earn from the credit card you use to buy points.
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by cashcow
Any luck finding the 80,000?
Nada
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by mstrbldr
Nada
Are you Platinum? May need to be to see the 80k offer.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:42 pm

I'm platinum and was redirected from the 80k when making a dummy booking to the 60k. I may wait for a better offer.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 12:01 pm

The 80k, plus $50 credit after one purchase came up today with a dummy booking. Not sure why I couldn't get it to work yesterday. Also extra 5k for authorized user.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by lyst
Are you Platinum? May need to be to see the 80k offer.
I'm platinum and was redirected from the 80k when making a dummy booking to the 60k. I may wait for a better offer.
The 80k, plus $50 credit after one purchase came up today with a dummy booking. Not sure why I couldn't get it to work yesterday. Also extra 5k for authorized user.
I was actually trying to find the 80K offer for my wife. She just opened an IHG rewards account; doesn't have any status and oddly enough when doing a dummy booking, there wasn't any offer at all for their credit card.

I on the other hand have the credit card and therefore platinum status. When I logged in as myself and made a dummy booking I only saw the 60K offer. Strange.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
My wife was just approved for this card , xxx/24 and they gave her a $2k CL . Is there any problem with getting the 60K bonus after $1k spend due to Chase Offering 2 different level cards ? She got the 60K after $1k promo.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
My wife was just approved for this card , xxx/24 and they gave her a $2k CL . Is there any problem with getting the 60K bonus after $1k spend due to Chase Offering 2 different level cards ? She got the 60K after $1k promo.
No. She will get exactly what the offer she applied for.

Chase cards can have many different offers on the same cobranded card. Just read the Marriott card's Wiki you will see there are at least 4 to 5 versions of the same card.

The offer code is inbedded in the application link and that is what she would get unless she gets a manual match via SM, not unlike how Citi works.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
My data point (very recent application):

I dropped to GOLD status in 2018 after stupidly cancelling my card in December in anticipation of churning. (I value 80K points more than the annual free night which I got in September)

I went to ihg.com, did a random hotel booking. Got to the "select a room" page, scroll to the bottom and found the ad for 80,000 points and $50 credit. Clicked on it and was directed to Chase page, which gave more detail - 80K points after $2000 spending. $50 credit after 1st purchase. No mentions of extra points for additional users, but I added one anyway. My IHG account number and name and address was pre-populated, but all was changable except the account number. The application process took a short ~30 seconds, waited another 10 seconds and was automatically approved. The email said I will get my card in 7-10 business days. There were no mentions of the promotion terms in my approval email.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Does any know if purchase from eBay paying with CC via Paypal count as purchase rather than cash advance? I guess I'll find out when I receive the statement.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by vincewy
Does any know if purchase from eBay paying with CC via Paypal count as purchase rather than cash advance? I guess I'll find out when I receive the statement.
it does not count as cash advance. I use credit card to fund pay pal account all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.