Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is now archived.

Continue the discussion here: HERE

Prior thread: Pre-2016 discussions archived HERE.

Similar thread on IHG Forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1232030-annual-free-night-cert-ihg-rewards-club-visa-mastercard-23.html Currently, the IHG credit card is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2018, a new IHG card is being released. There are changes, including a limit to the value of the annual free night certificate (40,000 point vs. any hotel).
Ongoing discussion can be found here, in the IHG forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...valuation.html

Existing card members can use "any hotel" certificates that were issued/will be issued prior to April 30th. Any Anniversary Night issued BEFORE May 1, 2018 is still valid at any IHG hotel worldwide.
Certificates issued AFTER May 1 will be under the new T & C's.

From Chase:

Update: We’re changing the Anniversary Free Night on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card

On May 1, 2018, we’re changing the Anniversary Free Night benefit associated with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card.

Here’s what’s changing
Currently, we award this Anniversary Free Night each year after your anniversary date, and it is redeemable at any IHG property. Going forward, Anniversary Free Nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be redeemable at eligible IHG hotels with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.

Here is the list of IHG hotels that will NO LONGER be available for certificate redemption: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night?_PMID=99634986&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4453693-_-7718223-_-www.ihg.com%2Fcontent&glat=AFFI&setPMCookies=true& url=https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night

Current public offers, as of 9/1/17
See post 527 regarding an 80,000-point offer: "When I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer."

All offers have the following terms/benefits:
  • Signup bonus earned after $1,000/$2000 spend in first 3 months
  • Starting on the first anniversary of account opening, a free night every year at any [effective with Anniversary Certs issued on 01 May 2018, redeemable only at properties 40,000 points and under] IHG hotel. (Cert may be redeemed online.)
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas, groceries and dining
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions. ("Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account")
  • No fee 1st year, then $49.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  • IHG Platinum status for as long as you hold the card.
Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Tony300S
Nope, reward stays via points are always refundable. First time I've seen it post like that so who knows, its IHG, they wouldn't know either.
My bad.. missed the award stay part
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:50 pm

Got the IHG card at 80,000 points (+ 5,000 for adding an AU) after spending $1,000.

Secure messaged Chase to ask if they will give me 100,000 after spending $2,000 and 15 minutes later they responded saying no.

That was fast.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bonus posting question

Husband got the 100K targeted offer.

Statement closed on Oct 14. Statement shows all points that should be there -
1) the earning,
2) the sign up bonus (though in a description called "Select Activation Premium", instead of Welcome Bonus),
3) the reward for adding additional user on the account.

However on IHG side, only 1) and 3) show up with the same date of the statement, Oct 14.
The biggest item 2), the 100K bonus are NOT in the IHG account.

Though on Oct 7 there is a line item of 2K posted as "Apply for IHG Club Reward Credit Card".
I checked his Q4 Acceleration offer, such item was not among the activities listed. Cannot see Q3 Acceleration anymore. Not even sure he has signed up.

Has anyone had experiences on the delay posting of the sign up bonus?

Since it is on the statement, and all other points posted, I could not think of any reason would cause the 100K not showing in his IHG account.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Has anyone had experiences on the delay posting of the sign up bonus?
I had a similar issue 1-2 yrs ago. Interestingly, in the Chase/IHG arrangement, it's the latter that qualifies and pays out sign-up bonuses. In my case, Chase maintained that I qualified and should be getting the bonus. But IHG determined that it was less than 2 yrs since the previous bonus, and disqualified me.

So you'd have to address this issue with IHG for the definitive answer (and hopefully the bonus).
italdesign likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxVO
I had a similar issue 1-2 yrs ago. Interestingly, in the Chase/IHG arrangement, it's the latter that qualifies and pays out sign-up bonuses. In my case, Chase maintained that I qualified and should be getting the bonus. But IHG determined that it was less than 2 yrs since the previous bonus, and disqualified me.

So you'd have to address this issue with IHG for the definitive answer (and hopefully the bonus).
Thanks for the DP. Do not realize it is IHG who pays out the sign up bonus. Sounds like the BofA/AS arrangement.

He would be qualified as his last bonus was earned on 2/05/2015. We were planning to get him a CSP hence no new personal card application in 2017 until Chase put in new restriction on the Sapphire cards on Aug 27 2017 that changed the game.

Someone upthread posted he was in same situation but his bonus eventually showed up 2 days later.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28701377-post468.html

There were 2 other posters having same issue but they had not updated their status.

Hopefully the bonus is just a delayed posting due to IHG had to return to record to make sure.

UPDATE:

The 100K show up today dated Oct 17.

May be indeed IHG does perform manual check on the sign up bonus before letting it thru despite Chase statement shows it is being sent to IHG.

Last edited by Happy; Oct 17, 2017 at 1:52 pm
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Got the IHG card at 80,000 points (+ 5,000 for adding an AU) after spending $1,000.

Secure messaged Chase to ask if they will give me 100,000 after spending $2,000 and 15 minutes later they responded saying no.

That was fast.
I did exactly that a month ago and they did give me those extra points. Maybe try to call?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by tenant13
I did exactly that a month ago and they did give me those extra points. Maybe try to call?
Thanks, I'll try again and report back.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by tenant13
I called and was immediately told by the Chase rep that on Aug. 15 IHG came to Chase and said they have to stop doing such rich points offers. He said if I was wanting to go from 60K to 80K he could do it, but from 80K to 100K it was not possible. He said you got "very lucky" haha.

I should have mentioned I heard people were calling in and applying over the phone and getting the 100K offer as far as I know, but this guy wasn't budging.

EDIT -- the Doctor of Credit article comments section goes along with my experience. People are calling in and being told this deal has expired. Congrats to those who got the 100K.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Sorry if this has been answered, but I skimmed through the last couple of pages and didn't see it addressed, plus there's this in the wiki:

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?

but no "A:" following it.

Anyway, card received 9/23, hit $2K min spend (for 100,000 offer) before statement closed on 10/10. Points for spend and activating an AU posted to my IHG account on 10/11, but no sign of the 100,000 bonus. I'm surprised it didn't post with the rest of the spend.

Any ideas how long until the sign-up bonus posts? It'd be nice to put it in the wiki, too.

ETA: I must have skimmed too quickly and missed Happy's posts just above, so it looks like her husband's experience is 3 days after the statement closes. Clearly I'm past that--and also, my statement doesn't show the sign-up bonus listed on it (it only shows a total of 8,022 points transmitted to IHG, including 5,000 for adding the AU). I applied by phone so don't have a screenshot of the offer, but the phone agent was very clear that it was a 100,000-point bonus. If it comes to it, I don't suppose those calls are recorded...

Last edited by jackal; Oct 21, 2017 at 9:04 am
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by jackal
Sorry if this has been answered, but I skimmed through the last couple of pages and didn't see it addressed, plus there's this in the wiki:

but no "A:" following it.

Anyway, card received 9/23, hit $2K min spend (for 100,000 offer) before statement closed on 10/10. Points for spend and activating an AU posted to my IHG account on 10/11, but no sign of the 100,000 bonus. I'm surprised it didn't post with the rest of the spend.

Any ideas how long until the sign-up bonus posts? It'd be nice to put it in the wiki, too.

ETA: I must have skimmed too quickly and missed Happy's posts just above, so it looks like her husband's experience is 3 days after the statement closes. Clearly I'm past that--and also, my statement doesn't show the sign-up bonus listed on it (it only shows a total of 8,022 points transmitted to IHG, including 5,000 for adding the AU). I applied by phone so don't have a screenshot of the offer, but the phone agent was very clear that it was a 100,000-point bonus. If it comes to it, I don't suppose those calls are recorded...
It I found it really depends on when you hit the spending limit. Since your statement is 10/10 usually you have to finished spending by 10/3 or so. About a week before your cut off date so the computers can pick it up. I’ve noticed this pattern for a few Chase cards.
jackal likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by RedElmo
It I found it really depends on when you hit the spending limit. Since your statement is 10/10 usually you have to finished spending by 10/3 or so. About a week before your cut off date so the computers can pick it up. I’ve noticed this pattern for a few Chase cards.
Good to know. The final charges to hit my $2K spend probably didn't post until 10/8 or maybe even 10/9.

I've added some verbiage to the wiki. Feel free to correct.

Last edited by jackal; Oct 21, 2017 at 10:42 am
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good to know. The final charges to hit my $2K spend probably didn't post until 10/8 or maybe even 10/9.

I've added some verbiage to the wiki. Feel free to correct.
This is a well-known fact and is included in the Wiki of the STICKY thread

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...17-onward.html

In the WIKI of the Sticky, these are the words:

Once I meet the card's spend requirement, how soon will I receive my signup bonus points?

Bonus points typically accrue at the close of the billing period in which you incur the corresponding charges. Points should appear in your hotel/airline account within a few days thereafter.

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.

The twist on the IHG sign up bonus though, is that even it is showing on the Chase statement, IHG seems to still perform a manual check on the 24 months time frame - as indicated by MaxVo's post just above mine - that IHG did not agree with Chase on how the 24 months are defined... In my husband's case, his repeat bonus was well after the 24 months so it passed IHG's manual check which took at least 1 to 2 business days to perform (statement closed on 10/14 Sat with all other points shown with 10/14 date in IHG account but sign up bonus posted on 10/17 Tue all by itself) - hence the delay. Back in August another poster has posted exact same experience. The bonus shown on statement but did not post together with other points until 2 days later.

This is a NEW twist not known to me in the past. So for the readers of this thread, make sure you have your booking keeping of date count correct so you would not miss your repeat bonus. My suggestion is always use the calendar month instead of exact date, make sure you would ONLY earn your repeat bonus AFTER full 24 months from the prior bonus earned DATE/MONTH, just to be on the safe side. Since you dont earn your bonus until it is shown on Chase statement / shown on IHG account - the clock of 24 months should start from there, and then dont cut it close to date - instead, using the NEXT month as your fresh start time. This is a small insurance to pay on the timeline.
italdesign likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 2, 2017 at 1:18 pm
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:41 am

My last bonus posted in early Sept of 2015 and I've already met the min spend on the card that was opened in early Oct of 2017. The statement will probably close sometime in the beginning of November, will have to see if I qualify for bonus.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:39 am

but no "A:" following it. .
There was an answer there pointing readers to the master thread for info on this issue & many others. That's because a) it makes no sense to duplicate the same information in the threads for all the individual Chase cards and b) it's helpful to make people aware of the master thread.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
My last bonus posted in early Sept of 2015 and I've already met the min spend on the card that was opened in early Oct of 2017. The statement will probably close sometime in the beginning of November, will have to see if I qualify for bonus.
I assume it would as by the timeline you have met both Chase and IHG requirements on the 24 months lapse condition even it is counted by calendar month (versus by dates), though probably with 1 to 2 business day delay based to recent DPs.

Please post back on your experience as additional DP. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.