Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is now archived.

Continue the discussion here: HERE

Prior thread: Pre-2016 discussions archived HERE.

Similar thread on IHG Forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1232030-annual-free-night-cert-ihg-rewards-club-visa-mastercard-23.html Currently, the IHG credit card is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2018, a new IHG card is being released. There are changes, including a limit to the value of the annual free night certificate (40,000 point vs. any hotel).
Ongoing discussion can be found here, in the IHG forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...valuation.html

Existing card members can use "any hotel" certificates that were issued/will be issued prior to April 30th. Any Anniversary Night issued BEFORE May 1, 2018 is still valid at any IHG hotel worldwide.
Certificates issued AFTER May 1 will be under the new T & C's.

From Chase:

Update: We’re changing the Anniversary Free Night on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card

On May 1, 2018, we’re changing the Anniversary Free Night benefit associated with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card.

Here’s what’s changing
Currently, we award this Anniversary Free Night each year after your anniversary date, and it is redeemable at any IHG property. Going forward, Anniversary Free Nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be redeemable at eligible IHG hotels with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.

Here is the list of IHG hotels that will NO LONGER be available for certificate redemption: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night?_PMID=99634986&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4453693-_-7718223-_-www.ihg.com%2Fcontent&glat=AFFI&setPMCookies=true& url=https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night

Current public offers, as of 9/1/17
See post 527 regarding an 80,000-point offer: "When I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer."

All offers have the following terms/benefits:
  • Signup bonus earned after $1,000/$2000 spend in first 3 months
  • Starting on the first anniversary of account opening, a free night every year at any [effective with Anniversary Certs issued on 01 May 2018, redeemable only at properties 40,000 points and under] IHG hotel. (Cert may be redeemed online.)
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas, groceries and dining
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions. ("Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account")
  • No fee 1st year, then $49.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  • IHG Platinum status for as long as you hold the card.
Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2016, 12:27 am

I cancelled my IHG 6/30

Tonight an 80 K plus 5K Au offer popped up on my IHG page.

Instant approval, well over 5/24
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I was in the branch yesterday making a payment with the teller and handed over my IHG card and the guy asked "is this a Chase card?" and turned over and saw the Chase logo on the back. He said he'd never seen one before and asked if it was like the Marriott card.

Think this card is popular outside the FT/crazy travel people world?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I was in the branch yesterday making a payment with the teller and handed over my IHG card and the guy asked "is this a Chase card?" and turned over and saw the Chase logo on the back. He said he'd never seen one before and asked if it was like the Marriott card.

Think this card is popular outside the FT/crazy travel people world?
That aligns with my discussions with non-FT types about affinity credit cards. The typical US consumer knows about airline cards and probably has or has had one. Hotel cards don't carry the same cachet or brand awareness as airlines. And even within the hotel space, infrequent travelers don't recognize IHG as a brand as well as, say, Hilton. I always say, "IHG, the parent company of Holiday Inn" when describing it to those who aren't fellow road warriors.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Funny. Ya weirdly most people recognize Holiday Inn but not IHG.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:50 am

Why is it weird? They see Holiday Inns everyday by the side of the road. They probably haven't ever seen a IHG logo ever (or paid attention to it), unless they pay attention to the small letters in an ad somewhere.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Can anyone using the instructions on the previous page get an 80k offer to show? I keep getting 60k + $50 credit. Wondering if I should keep trying or wait until the 80k offers come back.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by flyer4512
I cancelled my IHG 6/30

Tonight an 80 K plus 5K Au offer popped up on my IHG page.

Instant approval, well over 5/24
Just wondering don't you have to wait 24 months again before applying to get the bonus
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by happyvoid
Just wondering don't you have to wait 24 months again before applying to get the bonus
I was over 24 months, my brother somehow typed the wrong dates on his spreadsheet so he was denied and the letter stated 24 months

He passes 24 month 8/12/16 and will apply again in late September
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:46 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Preferred, MileagePlus Premium Silver
I just got this message today from Chase...

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for being a Chase customer. We're replacing your IHG® Rewards Club Select World MasterCard® credit card with an IHG Rewards Club Select World Elite MasterCard® because we value your loyalty. You should receive your new card, a rewards brochure and a Guide to Benefits within the next 30 days."

Anybody else getting this new card? A quick google search didn't show much about an IHG World Elite card.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by jetsetterwannabe
I just got this message today from Chase...

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for being a Chase customer. We're replacing your IHG® Rewards Club Select World MasterCard® credit card with an IHG Rewards Club Select World Elite MasterCard® because we value your loyalty. You should receive your new card, a rewards brochure and a Guide to Benefits within the next 30 days."

Anybody else getting this new card? A quick google search didn't show much about an IHG World Elite card.
I don't have any info about this specific card swap, but as for the difference between the two cards, see Difference in MasterCard World and World Elite?

Also, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:25 pm
daq

What's the most recent data point for a match to the 80k offer? The (not working) 80k landing page went down for the first time in a while very recently (https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg/ihgsaml80) and I wanted to see if there were any very recent DP on this. Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2016, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by daq
What's the most recent data point for a match to the 80k offer? The (not working) 80k landing page went down for the first time in a while very recently (https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg/ihgsaml80) and I wanted to see if there were any very recent DP on this. Thanks!
I don't have a datapoint to offer you, but apparently some people have had success in getting the 80k offer to pop up for them:
Originally Posted by stupenal
I was able to replicate the 80k + $50 statement credit offer using slickrick's instructions.

1. Open ihg.com
2. Log into account
3. Search for properties in asia. I searched for Thailand (didn't even put in a City) for a one night stay in July, selected Best Available Rate
4. Chose a random property, clicked check rates
5. Scrolled to bottom, saw the 80k bonus + $50k statement credit after first purchase. Clicked Learn More and filled out the application.

This was done on my wife's account which has been open since late 2014, maybe 10 stays total (half booked with points, half with cash to earn free nights via the 2 free night offer from Q4 2014). We have 2 reward night stays coming up on the account.

I agree with slickrick - doesn't seem like any rhyme or reason. I didn't even bother going incognito or clearing cookies.

Edit - just checked my own account. My account has the exact same activity as my wife's but I only see the 60k offer. Very random.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 5:41 pm
daq

Well I went ahead anyways and applied for the card and SMed them right away about matching the 80k offer and they responded right away matching it. So DP that they're still matching it as of 8/2 (just the 80k, not the extra $50)
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:51 pm

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, BA Gold, AA 1MM, LM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D6, SPG Plat, Hertz President's
Originally Posted by stupenal
I was able to replicate the 80k + $50 statement credit offer using slickrick's instructions.

1. Open ihg.com
2. Log into account
3. Search for properties in asia. I searched for Thailand (didn't even put in a City) for a one night stay in July, selected Best Available Rate
4. Chose a random property, clicked check rates
5. Scrolled to bottom, saw the 80k bonus + $50k statement credit after first purchase. Clicked Learn More and filled out the application.

This was done on my wife's account which has been open since late 2014, maybe 10 stays total (half booked with points, half with cash to earn free nights via the 2 free night offer from Q4 2014). We have 2 reward night stays coming up on the account.

I agree with slickrick - doesn't seem like any rhyme or reason. I didn't even bother going incognito or clearing cookies.

Edit - just checked my own account. My account has the exact same activity as my wife's but I only see the 60k offer. Very random.
I read somewhere that having status is required for the offer to appear. I'm just a lowly "member." LOL

Originally Posted by shuom
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg...plus?CELL=659Y

was an offer that popped up for me on the ihg.com page.

80k points + $50 credit.

The interesting part of the offer is

I signed up for this card 3 years ago or so which is when I got the points for the first time. I cancelled the card not too long ago, so I figured I should qualify for the points again. There were no cancellation requirements stated in the offer detail. I've actually regretted cancelling this card.
Link is dead.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, IHG Spire, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by shuom
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg...plus?CELL=659Y

was an offer that popped up for me on the ihg.com page.

80k points + $50 credit.

The interesting part of the offer is

I signed up for this card 3 years ago or so which is when I got the points for the first time. I cancelled the card not too long ago, so I figured I should qualify for the points again. There were no cancellation requirements stated in the offer detail. I've actually regretted cancelling this card.
Why would you regret cancelling?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.