Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is now archived.

Continue the discussion here: HERE

Prior thread: Pre-2016 discussions archived HERE.

Similar thread on IHG Forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1232030-annual-free-night-cert-ihg-rewards-club-visa-mastercard-23.html Currently, the IHG credit card is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2018, a new IHG card is being released. There are changes, including a limit to the value of the annual free night certificate (40,000 point vs. any hotel).
Ongoing discussion can be found here, in the IHG forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...valuation.html

Existing card members can use "any hotel" certificates that were issued/will be issued prior to April 30th. Any Anniversary Night issued BEFORE May 1, 2018 is still valid at any IHG hotel worldwide.
Certificates issued AFTER May 1 will be under the new T & C's.

From Chase:

Update: We’re changing the Anniversary Free Night on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card

On May 1, 2018, we’re changing the Anniversary Free Night benefit associated with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card.

Here’s what’s changing
Currently, we award this Anniversary Free Night each year after your anniversary date, and it is redeemable at any IHG property. Going forward, Anniversary Free Nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be redeemable at eligible IHG hotels with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.

Here is the list of IHG hotels that will NO LONGER be available for certificate redemption: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night?_PMID=99634986&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4453693-_-7718223-_-www.ihg.com%2Fcontent&glat=AFFI&setPMCookies=true& url=https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night

Current public offers, as of 9/1/17
See post 527 regarding an 80,000-point offer: "When I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer."

All offers have the following terms/benefits:
  • Signup bonus earned after $1,000/$2000 spend in first 3 months
  • Starting on the first anniversary of account opening, a free night every year at any [effective with Anniversary Certs issued on 01 May 2018, redeemable only at properties 40,000 points and under] IHG hotel. (Cert may be redeemed online.)
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas, groceries and dining
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions. ("Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account")
  • No fee 1st year, then $49.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  • IHG Platinum status for as long as you hold the card.
Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA, Alaska, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by philemer
If true, sign up now for the 60K offer in the wikipost and maybe grandfather in the "free night" annual benefit. I hope current card holders don't lose that free night benefit.
Totally agree. Grandfather us in!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by giesen5
Totally agree. Grandfather us in!
Link still works here (with $50 statement)

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg/ihg60plus?CELL=6J1C&cm_sp=OSMAM-6C-US-EN-RR-A-MNR-60K-FGLT-J1C-ChaseMasterCard

Last edited by vincewy; Mar 26, 2018 at 10:28 pm
Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
See several reports that the Free night is still going to be available with the new higher priced card at $89. What's causing concern is the following wording in the leaked offer:
  • Annual free night certificate at “eligible” hotels worldwide
What are the "eligible" hotels? Could this mean the free night won't be good at all hotels or that it will be limited to certain categories?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:46 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by christianj
What are the "eligible" hotels? Could this mean the free night won't be good at all hotels or that it will be limited to certain categories?
I could definitely see that, especially since the Hyatt and Marriott cards from Chase have always had category limitations on their annual renewal free nights.

I think the unrestricted IHG free night on a card with only a $49 annual fee has worked out historically for Chase and IHG because it is a US issued card, and I wouldn’t be surprised if most cardholders (I.e. not those of us here on FT) redeemed them for US domestic properties, of which there aren’t too many aspirational properties, and of which the greatest number are lower tier properties such as HIX. The reimbursement rate from IHG for some of these stays is as low as $10 or $15 so I assume that in the aggregate, the numbers worked out.

Now we have 60+ Kimpton properties added domestically, and on the mostly international front, a plan for an accelerated roll out of 40+ Regent properties. I could see IHG hedging by either limiting the free night to certain categories, or making it available at all properties with the exception of Regent.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
DOC has some details on the potentially new IHG premier card:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/detai...b-premier-card

A little surprising to me that they're only upping the AF to $89, but including higher earn rates (at least at IHG properties), fourth night free, and GE/TSA-Pre are welcome additions without giving up the free night cert and Platinum status.

I doubt that's enough to convince me to PC to the new version, but it's not as bad as some were fearing...
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by roundtree

A little surprising to me that they're only upping the AF to $89, but including higher earn rates (at least at IHG properties), fourth night free, and GE/TSA-Pre are welcome additions without giving up the free night cert and Platinum status.

I doubt that's enough to convince me to PC to the new version, but it's not as bad as some were fearing...
You don't want to pay $40 to get 4th night free on points redemptions? Explain.

The hotel free night is going to be at eligible hotels even if you stay with the current card so that's not a differentiator.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:32 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SingaporeJunkie

The hotel free night is going to be at eligible hotels even if you stay with the current card so that's not a differentiator.
I can’t remember the last time I spent 4 nights in a hotel consecutively
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by United747

Well I do , more than 5x per year. Obviously a huge benefit. You do 4 nights at the IC Park Lane or IC HK and you've just saved 70k points.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:51 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Well I do , more than 5x per year. Obviously a huge benefit. You do 4 nights at the IC Park Lane or IC HK and you've just saved 70k points.
I get that. Just some of us don’t find value in it. Same goes for the Citi 4th night free on one of their cards.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA, Alaska, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by roundtree

It would be nice to be able to get this card on top of the original to have two free nights annually.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:57 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb

Same here. I find the current 10% rebate on redemptions (which is not a benefit on the new card) more valuable.
roundtree likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dw

Same here. I find the current 10% rebate on redemptions (which is not a benefit on the new card) more valuable.
But the new card has a 20% discount on purchased points. During the most recent promo that means you could have bought 120k points for $480. That's huge!!!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat

There are times when a 4th night free would help, but not very often for me. The concern that I have in general is that the pic posted is a mockup and not the official details.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:16 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

I get that. Just some of us don’t find value in it. Same goes for the Citi 4th night free on one of their cards.

LoL....and for me, the Citi Prestige saved me over $1800 last year net with the 4th night free.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:31 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
IHG customer service employee told me the new employee "brochure" says that the anniversary free night cert will only be redeemable at properties with 40K points or less for redemption.

Last edited by 355F1; Mar 26, 2018 at 11:13 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.