Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is now archived.

Continue the discussion here: HERE

Prior thread: Pre-2016 discussions archived HERE.

Similar thread on IHG Forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1232030-annual-free-night-cert-ihg-rewards-club-visa-mastercard-23.html Currently, the IHG credit card is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2018, a new IHG card is being released. There are changes, including a limit to the value of the annual free night certificate (40,000 point vs. any hotel).
Ongoing discussion can be found here, in the IHG forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...valuation.html

Existing card members can use "any hotel" certificates that were issued/will be issued prior to April 30th. Any Anniversary Night issued BEFORE May 1, 2018 is still valid at any IHG hotel worldwide.
Certificates issued AFTER May 1 will be under the new T & C's.

From Chase:

Update: We’re changing the Anniversary Free Night on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card

On May 1, 2018, we’re changing the Anniversary Free Night benefit associated with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card.

Here’s what’s changing
Currently, we award this Anniversary Free Night each year after your anniversary date, and it is redeemable at any IHG property. Going forward, Anniversary Free Nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be redeemable at eligible IHG hotels with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.

Here is the list of IHG hotels that will NO LONGER be available for certificate redemption: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night?_PMID=99634986&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4453693-_-7718223-_-www.ihg.com%2Fcontent&glat=AFFI&setPMCookies=true& url=https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night

Current public offers, as of 9/1/17
See post 527 regarding an 80,000-point offer: "When I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer."

All offers have the following terms/benefits:
  • Signup bonus earned after $1,000/$2000 spend in first 3 months
  • Starting on the first anniversary of account opening, a free night every year at any [effective with Anniversary Certs issued on 01 May 2018, redeemable only at properties 40,000 points and under] IHG hotel. (Cert may be redeemed online.)
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas, groceries and dining
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions. ("Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account")
  • No fee 1st year, then $49.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  • IHG Platinum status for as long as you hold the card.
Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

Old May 31, 2016, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by mortalwombat
Yeah I'm not able to replicate it either. It must be somewhat targeted? Do you have a previous stay on your account?
I joined IHG in February and have two stays within the past three months. I have 70K+ points in my account from the Priceless Surprises and Accelerate promotions.

Honestly, I wasn't trying to find the 80K signup bonus. Didn't clear cookies or anything. I was just pricing out some IC's in Japan to see if it was worth getting the IHG card, it the thing popped up. My 80K offer shows up at the bottom of this page. Link probably won't lead you to the exact same screen as me, but it's the one after you click "Check Rates".

Maybe it's one of those things where if you stop looking for it specifically, it'll pop up?
Old May 31, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, BA Gold, AA 1MM, LM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D6, SPG Plat, Hertz President's
Originally Posted by mortalwombat
Yeah I'm not able to replicate it either. It must be somewhat targeted? Do you have a previous stay on your account?
I've got one showing on the account.

Originally Posted by slickrick11
I joined IHG in February and have two stays within the past three months. I have 70K+ points in my account from the Priceless Surprises and Accelerate promotions.

Honestly, I wasn't trying to find the 80K signup bonus. Didn't clear cookies or anything. I was just pricing out some IC's in Japan to see if it was worth getting the IHG card, it the thing popped up. My 80K offer shows up at the bottom of this page. Link probably won't lead you to the exact same screen as me, but it's the one after you click "Check Rates".

Maybe it's one of those things where if you stop looking for it specifically, it'll pop up?
I went to that same page a bunch of different ways. Still only seeing the 60K offer.
Old May 31, 2016, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by HUGE AL
I've got one showing on the account.

I went to that same page a bunch of different ways. Still only seeing the 60K offer.
Too weird. No rhyme or reason, it seems!

Just got a letter in the mail from Chase, but haven't received the card yet. I'll let you guys know when I receive the card and confirm the details. Then you guys can try to make a case with IHG!
Old Jun 9, 2016, 12:52 pm

I was able to replicate the 80k + $50 statement credit offer using slickrick's instructions.

1. Open ihg.com
2. Log into account
3. Search for properties in asia. I searched for Thailand (didn't even put in a City) for a one night stay in July, selected Best Available Rate
4. Chose a random property, clicked check rates
5. Scrolled to bottom, saw the 80k bonus + $50k statement credit after first purchase. Clicked Learn More and filled out the application.

This was done on my wife's account which has been open since late 2014, maybe 10 stays total (half booked with points, half with cash to earn free nights via the 2 free night offer from Q4 2014). We have 2 reward night stays coming up on the account.

I agree with slickrick - doesn't seem like any rhyme or reason. I didn't even bother going incognito or clearing cookies.

Edit - just checked my own account. My account has the exact same activity as my wife's but I only see the 60k offer. Very random.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by stupenal
I was able to replicate the 80k + $50 statement credit offer using slickrick's instructions.

1. Open ihg.com
2. Log into account
3. Search for properties in asia. I searched for Thailand (didn't even put in a City) for a one night stay in July, selected Best Available Rate
5. Scrolled to bottom, saw the 80k bonus + $50k statement credit after first purchase. Clicked Learn More and filled out the application.

This was done on my wife's account which has been open since late 2014, maybe 10 stays total (half booked with points, half with cash to earn free nights via the 2 free night offer from Q4 2014). We have 2 reward night stays coming up on the account.

I agree with slickrick - doesn't seem like any rhyme or reason. I didn't even bother going incognito or clearing cookies.

Edit - just checked my own account. My account has the exact same activity as my wife's but I only see the 60k offer. Very random.
Glad to hear that you could replicate it!

Just to confirm, I got my card earlier this week and my statement credit just hit!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:38 pm

Is it advisable to apply for the 60k/$1K app or the 70k/$2K app if you are hoping to match the 80k..i know nothing is guaranteed but which has a better chance? Thank you for your help
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:16 am

I closed my IHG card on 06/06 and today My IHG account showed offer of 80k+5k+$50 with $1000 spend. I applied again and was approved with $2k limit.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:41 pm

oh, isn't they have the requirement that you can't have the open bonus within the last two years?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by ddlo1982
oh, isn't they have the requirement that you can't have the open bonus within the last two years?
See the wiki section above, Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by stupenal

1. Open ihg.com
2. Log into account

I did this. I got the 60K offer. Then, wondering how much the statement credit was really worth, I googled "buy IHG points" or buy IHG points with 100% bonus and was shown a 70K offer.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by vah4883
I closed my IHG card on 06/06 and today My IHG account showed offer of 80k+5k+$50 with $1000 spend. I applied again and was approved with $2k limit.
Exactly the data point I was looking for as my free night just posted 6/19.

IHG is still clear of the 5/24 rules, correct ?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Exactly the data point I was looking for as my free night just posted 6/19.

IHG is still clear of the 5/24 rules, correct ?
That's correct. I was 15/24 or maybe more
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:04 am

I got immediate approval for the 80k pts, $1k spend, $50 credit for 1st charge offer, on the final reservation page for a CA HI Express. This offer showed up on both a paid stay, or points + cash. Comes w/platinum status, too. But I have to wait for the card to use it for the res; supposed to come with 7-10 business days.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 2:46 pm

I'm wanting to get this card again in the next few days. I opened my first/only card in 6/2012. I just received my free night cert. but my annual fee hasn't come up yet. How should I approach this? I'm assuming I have to cancel this card before applying for a new one? I read you don't lose you free night if you cancel but I haven't paid the annual fee yet so do I need to wait for the annual fee to post and pay it before I cancel to keep the free night?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by sarrisa
I'm wanting to get this card again in the next few days. I opened my first/only card in 6/2012. I just received my free night cert. but my annual fee hasn't come up yet. How should I approach this? I'm assuming I have to cancel this card before applying for a new one? I read you don't lose you free night if you cancel but I haven't paid the annual fee yet so do I need to wait for the annual fee to post and pay it before I cancel to keep the free night?
You would benefit from reading these parts of the wiki above:
  • Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
  • Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.