Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is now archived.

Continue the discussion here: HERE

Prior thread: Pre-2016 discussions archived HERE.

Similar thread on IHG Forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1232030-annual-free-night-cert-ihg-rewards-club-visa-mastercard-23.html Currently, the IHG credit card is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2018, a new IHG card is being released. There are changes, including a limit to the value of the annual free night certificate (40,000 point vs. any hotel).
Ongoing discussion can be found here, in the IHG forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...valuation.html

Existing card members can use "any hotel" certificates that were issued/will be issued prior to April 30th. Any Anniversary Night issued BEFORE May 1, 2018 is still valid at any IHG hotel worldwide.
Certificates issued AFTER May 1 will be under the new T & C's.

From Chase:

Update: We’re changing the Anniversary Free Night on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card

On May 1, 2018, we’re changing the Anniversary Free Night benefit associated with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card.

Here’s what’s changing
Currently, we award this Anniversary Free Night each year after your anniversary date, and it is redeemable at any IHG property. Going forward, Anniversary Free Nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be redeemable at eligible IHG hotels with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.

Here is the list of IHG hotels that will NO LONGER be available for certificate redemption: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night?_PMID=99634986&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4453693-_-7718223-_-www.ihg.com%2Fcontent&glat=AFFI&setPMCookies=true& url=https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night

Current public offers, as of 9/1/17
See post 527 regarding an 80,000-point offer: "When I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer."

All offers have the following terms/benefits:
  • Signup bonus earned after $1,000/$2000 spend in first 3 months
  • Starting on the first anniversary of account opening, a free night every year at any [effective with Anniversary Certs issued on 01 May 2018, redeemable only at properties 40,000 points and under] IHG hotel. (Cert may be redeemed online.)
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas, groceries and dining
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions. ("Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account")
  • No fee 1st year, then $49.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  • IHG Platinum status for as long as you hold the card.
Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:09 am

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, BA Gold, AA 1MM, LM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D6, SPG Plat, Hertz President's
Originally Posted by United747
Buy ambassador status for $200. That gets you automatic gold.
DOH! Forgot about that one. LOL
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:16 pm

A couple questions. It's been three years for me since I received an IHG signup bonus. I have Ambassador and Spire Elite.

1. Can I downgrade to the no-fee IHG Card and then apply for a new IHG Rewards card (with fee) to get the bonus?

2. If I have to cancel all together how long should I wait to apply for new card?

Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:46 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Just want to update that my status was upgraded today after an email earlier in the week to ambassador services. So 9 days from application to upgrade. Just in time for my stay this weekend!
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:11 am

My mom has had the Chase IHG card for about 3 years now. It has always given her Platinum status, but she just noticed that her IHG status seems to have been downgraded to Gold. We're not sure when this happened. She doesn't use the card and hasn't had activity since last summer when she redeemed her free night. My dad has the same card and similar activity (or lack thereof), but still has Platinum status. Any ideas on what's going on?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:52 am

It would appear there is a new public offer for the IHG Rewards Card:

50K + 5K AU + $100 credit (AF Waived First Year) for $2K in spend

Here is the link:

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg...haseMasterCard

You can easily click thru for the application.

I still think the best (albeit targeted/illusive) offer is the 80K + 5K +$50 credit if you can get it. I have tried everything but it seems that because I recently just cancelled an IHG card that I am not going to be able to get it so I might just do this $100 offer and try and have it matched by SM to $80K and hope Chase forgets about the $100 credit.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
My mom has had the Chase IHG card for about 3 years now. It has always given her Platinum status, but she just noticed that her IHG status seems to have been downgraded to Gold. We're not sure when this happened. She doesn't use the card and hasn't had activity since last summer when she redeemed her free night. My dad has the same card and similar activity (or lack thereof), but still has Platinum status. Any ideas on what's going on?
I also have had the same issue I have contacted IHG and have gotten something about needing 20,000 points in my account to not be downgraded. I called them back and got another answer about needing to stay 40 nights. I am not sure their customer service new what they are talking about. I called Chase but they said they couldn't really do anything but as far as they know I should still be platinum.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

regarding the IHG card and status

Here is my data point. My account shows Platinum, I have way over 20,000 points, and I have way under 40 nights. And, of course, my status could change later today.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:40 pm

Any recent DP's of getting matched to 80k bonus after signing up for the 60k? Tried Chase/IHG simultaneous method and was only getting directed to the new 50k offer which then would make the 80k link inaccessible. Applied and got approved for 60k just now so am just curious if anyone is the past few days has gotten matched to the 80k.

Last edited by farmerandy; Apr 8, 2017 at 8:41 pm Reason: add on
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by LoganS
I also have had the same issue I have contacted IHG and have gotten something about needing 20,000 points in my account to not be downgraded. I called them back and got another answer about needing to stay 40 nights. I am not sure their customer service new what they are talking about. I called Chase but they said they couldn't really do anything but as far as they know I should still be platinum.
OK for anyone else having this issue. I tried the email route and although it took a few days IHG reqards customer service has returned my status to platnium. No explanation why I was downgraded to gold but I was told I should be platnium and they fixed my status.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:05 am

Anyone else noticing the glitch with the "free" Chase anniversary night award? When you try to search and book, it ends up costing money.

EDIT: Realized this should go in the Free Night Cert forum. Feel free to delete.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by FleyeSkyHigh
A couple questions. It's been three years for me since I received an IHG signup bonus. I have Ambassador and Spire Elite.

1. Can I downgrade to the no-fee IHG Card and then apply for a new IHG Rewards card (with fee) to get the bonus?

2. If I have to cancel all together how long should I wait to apply for new card?

Thanks!
To my fellow IHG card churners I am going to answer my own questions. I confirmed with Chase customer service and new card applications groups that I would be unable to downgrade to the no-fee IHG card and then apply for a new IHG Rewards card...to Chase they are basically the same product. I think the same is true for the United no-fee card (which is subject to 5/24 so not as easily churnable).

For those with IHG elite status and in search of how long you must wait to be offered the 80K signup bonus after cancelling....for me it took 9 calendar days after cancelling the card with Chase for the IHG.COM to realize I was longer a IHG credit card holder. On the 9th day after cancelling I was offered my the IHG elite member 80K + 5K AU sign up bonus simply be logging in to Chase (I was not offered the $50 SC). Couldn't ever find a way to get 80K + 5K + $50 SC...dummy booking only yielded a 50K + 5K + $100 SC.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
thanks for the info. keep us updated when you get approved and the bonus again. I actually had no idea there was a no AF IHG card. is there a no AF Marriott card too?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by FleyeSkyHigh
To my fellow IHG card churners I am going to answer my own questions. I confirmed with Chase customer service and new card applications groups that I would be unable to downgrade to the no-fee IHG card and then apply for a new IHG Rewards card...to Chase they are basically the same product.
Wait, there's a no-AF IHG card? I don't recall hearing about that. Possibly because I didn't care because....

For those with IHG elite status and in search of how long you must wait to be offered the 80K signup bonus after cancelling....for me it took 9 calendar days after cancelling the card with Chase for the IHG.COM to realize I was longer a IHG credit card holder. On the 9th day after cancelling I was offered my the IHG elite member 80K + 5K AU sign up bonus simply be logging in to Chase (I was not offered the $50 SC). Couldn't ever find a way to get 80K + 5K + $50 SC...dummy booking only yielded a 50K + 5K + $100 SC.
I, too, have been able to apply for a new IHG card with the generous sign-up offer less than 2 weeks of cancelling my previous card. As long as it has been 24+ months since the previous sign-up bonus was awarded.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Wait, there's a no-AF IHG card? I don't recall hearing about that. Possibly because I didn't care because....

I, too, have been able to apply for a new IHG card with the generous sign-up offer less than 2 weeks of cancelling my previous card. As long as it has been 24+ months since the previous sign-up bonus was awarded.
The reason some people care about downgrading is that for churners downgrading is almost always a better practice than closing for the following reasons:

1. Less likely to raise red flag or signal churner for a financial review or account audit (although more so an AMEX concern these days).

2. Preserves longer account age lengths which has a positive (albeit small) impact on credit score.

3. Preserve credit line - this is especially true for Chase as Chase easily allows for lines to be moved from personal card to card as well as for approval of new cards

4. For the true churner you should never close a Chase Family (ie Sapphire, Freedom cards) because they are subject to 5/24 hence almost downgrading to no fee Freedom and Freedom Unlimited allows one to stack quarterly limits for 5x bonus categories and 1.5x earnings per dollar spend. Chase allows you as many Freedom cards as you want (I personally have nine open right now) and since any good Churner will rarely, if ever, be under 5/24 these accounts should be kept open as there is no incentive to close them.

I will agree with you tho that for the IHG card the benefit would be rather low as the only positive would be minimizing the small hit to credit score.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
nine Freedom cards open #wow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.