Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is now archived.

Continue the discussion here: HERE

Prior thread: Pre-2016 discussions archived HERE.

Similar thread on IHG Forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1232030-annual-free-night-cert-ihg-rewards-club-visa-mastercard-23.html Currently, the IHG credit card is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2018, a new IHG card is being released. There are changes, including a limit to the value of the annual free night certificate (40,000 point vs. any hotel).
Ongoing discussion can be found here, in the IHG forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...valuation.html

Existing card members can use "any hotel" certificates that were issued/will be issued prior to April 30th. Any Anniversary Night issued BEFORE May 1, 2018 is still valid at any IHG hotel worldwide.
Certificates issued AFTER May 1 will be under the new T & C's.

From Chase:

Update: We’re changing the Anniversary Free Night on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card

On May 1, 2018, we’re changing the Anniversary Free Night benefit associated with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card.

Here’s what’s changing
Currently, we award this Anniversary Free Night each year after your anniversary date, and it is redeemable at any IHG property. Going forward, Anniversary Free Nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be redeemable at eligible IHG hotels with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.

Here is the list of IHG hotels that will NO LONGER be available for certificate redemption: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night?_PMID=99634986&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4453693-_-7718223-_-www.ihg.com%2Fcontent&glat=AFFI&setPMCookies=true& url=https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night

Current public offers, as of 9/1/17
See post 527 regarding an 80,000-point offer: "When I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer."

All offers have the following terms/benefits:
  • Signup bonus earned after $1,000/$2000 spend in first 3 months
  • Starting on the first anniversary of account opening, a free night every year at any [effective with Anniversary Certs issued on 01 May 2018, redeemable only at properties 40,000 points and under] IHG hotel. (Cert may be redeemed online.)
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas, groceries and dining
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions. ("Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account")
  • No fee 1st year, then $49.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  • IHG Platinum status for as long as you hold the card.
Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2016, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
I thought it ended June 30th? where are you seeing april
Oh you may be right. That makes me feel better!
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by mk712
I booked a stay with IHG points for July. After booking that stay I opened a Chase IHG card. Since I am now a cardholder, will I receive the 10% rebate for my stay even though I booked before being a cardholder?

I'm looking for data points more than guesses because the card T&C isn't very specific, it just says:

Usually I would re-book just to be safe, but the hotel is now sold out and if I cancel my existing reservation there is no guarantee it'll be available again.

It's a 70k point stay and I wouldn't say no to an extra 7k points...
Last year, I had a large award stay (180K) booked prior to getting the card, where it wasn't possible to rebook - I had been lucky to get those dates in the first place! No dice on the rebate, but that's the way it goes.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:55 pm

data point

auto approved 4/27 for 80k after $1,000 spend +$50 statement credit after 1st purchase...did mock booking while signed in to my account, offer showed up on page with total booking price....offer showed up for wife too.
Old May 2, 2016, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
This is just my family member's timing:

Applied March 8, got the status change on IHG March 17
Mine was about the same too: 10 days-ish from account activation.
Old May 7, 2016, 5:16 pm

24 month rule clarification, please

Is the rule for receiving the signup bonus again 24 months since those points were earned? Or posted? And therefore the date of when the account was opened or closed irrelevant? For example, assume you applied and were approved for the IHG card on 4/1/14, minimum spend accomplished on 4/26/14, signup bonus posted on statement 5/06/14 and account closed 6/1/14. Under this scenario, if an application were submitted and immediately approved TODAY, 5/07/16, would the new account be eligible for the signup bonus? Thank you.
Old May 7, 2016, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by npf125
Is the rule for receiving the signup bonus again 24 months since those points were earned? Or posted? And therefore the date of when the account was opened or closed irrelevant?
The answer to this FAQ is in the wiki (or rather, in the resource to which the wiki links).
Old May 7, 2016, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
The answer to this FAQ is in the wiki (or rather, in the resource to which the wiki links).
The reason the question was asked is that earlier today I called CHASE. The representative insisted that you are ineligible to receive the signup bonus again unless it has been 24 months since ACCOUNT CLOSURE. I asked the question in various ways, and she insisted that was the policy. I even stated that the advertising specifies 24 months since the bonus was earned. I also gave the example of a cardholder earning the bonus in 2010 and then keeping the card for 5 years, even paying the fee each year before closing the account in 2015. She replied that an account for the same card opened any time this year would not be eligible for the signup bonus again. It's 24 months after closure.

Wasting a hard pull and not receiving an expected signup bonus isn't trivial. I still request clarification from forum members as to whether they have recently received or are being denied the signup bonus within 24 months of a prior account closure.
Old May 7, 2016, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I have received sign up bonuses when I was > 24 months since receiving bonus on same product but < 24 months since closing that product. Relying on any CSR's knowledge of such policies is unwise. But you're asking for more data here, so I think you know that.
Old May 7, 2016, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by npf125
The reason the question was asked is that earlier today I called CHASE. The representative insisted that you are ineligible to receive the signup bonus again unless it has been 24 months since ACCOUNT CLOSURE. I asked the question in various ways, and she insisted that was the policy. I even stated that the advertising specifies 24 months since the bonus was earned. I also gave the example of a cardholder earning the bonus in 2010 and then keeping the card for 5 years, even paying the fee each year before closing the account in 2015. She replied that an account for the same card opened any time this year would not be eligible for the signup bonus again. It's 24 months after closure.

Wasting a hard pull and not receiving an expected signup bonus isn't trivial. I still request clarification from forum members as to whether they have recently received or are being denied the signup bonus within 24 months of a prior account closure.
I have received the bonus 3 times, all 12-18 months since last bonus earned.
Old May 8, 2016, 12:23 am

My thanks to you both.
Old May 8, 2016, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by istroke
I have received the bonus 3 times, all 12-18 months since last bonus earned.
That seems anomalous if any of those was earned since July 2014. Perhaps you can supply more details, such as approximate dates of applications & bonus receipt.
Old May 8, 2016, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by beltway
That seems anomalous if any of those was earned since July 2014. Perhaps you can supply more details, such as approximate dates of applications & bonus receipt.

Sorry, I didn't keep track of those dates. I still have an unused free night expiring in 4 months. That would put me below the 24 months since last bonus mark.
And the one before that was shorter in time since last bonus (12-16 months), but I was like what the hell, applied anyway, got approved and got my bonus.
Same with Marriott, only 18 months since last bonus but got approved with bonus and free night. I think if you get approved, you'd get the bonus.

Edit: My first IHG was approved on 7/27/13. I don't have date for 2nd card. But since I'm on my 3rd card, that should be at 7/27/17 on the 3rd card?

Last edited by istroke; May 8, 2016 at 9:03 am Reason: more info
Old May 8, 2016, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by istroke
Sorry, I didn't keep track of those dates. I still have an unused free night expiring in 4 months. That would put me below the 24 months since last bonus mark.
That doesn't follow at all. You get a cert every year on your anniversary, so cert expiration doesn't say anything about the date of your signup bonus absent more info.

And the one before that was shorter in time since last bonus (12-16 months), but I was like what the hell, applied anyway, got approved and got my bonus.
Same with Marriott, only 18 months since last bonus but got approved with bonus and free night. I think if you get approved, you'd get the bonus.

Edit: My first IHG was approved on 7/27/13. I don't have date for 2nd card. But since I'm on my 3rd card, that should be at 7/27/17 on the 3rd card?
Sorry, not buying it. You may well have gotten multiple bonuses in the past (as I have), but it's not plausible that you've earned more than one signup bonus on any Chase card -- Marriott, IHG, or any other -- since July 2014.

Also, you're mistaken about approval implying bonus eligibility. Chase is notorious for approving applications even if the applicant is bonus-ineligible. (See the wiki at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...5-present.html, under "Great! So if I received the same card more than 2 years ago, I can apply again and get the bonus, right?")
Old May 8, 2016, 9:43 am

Got the 60K + $50 bonus, but never any offer for more.

However, I did bag a 5000 point room for an upcoming trip and a 5000 point bonus for a different trip. So, overall I am a happy camper.
Old May 8, 2016, 3:04 pm
LHG

Programs: AS MVP Gold and hotel status through their credit cards as needed :)
80K landing page not working anymore

It redirects me to a 70,000 points after 2K spend page now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.