Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Ritz-Carlton Rewards card

The new VISA Infinite version is discussed HERE.
In August 2016 Chase refreshed this card.
This thread is a continuation of discussion archived here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...idated-71.html

Best public available offer:
Two free nights at any tier 1-4 Ritz Carlton Hotel after $4k spent. Annual fee of $450 NOT waived.
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/rit...n/naepredirect

Three free nights at any tier 1-4 Ritz Carlton Hotel after $5k spent. Annual fee of $450 NOT waived.
NO LONGER AVAILABLE
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ritzcarlton/aep3CN
I edited link and replaced "2CN" with "3CN" and now it shows offer of 3 free nights, $450 AF and $5K spend.
__________________________________________________ _____________

$300 Annual Travel Credit
"Make the most of your trip with a $300 annual travel credit to use for baggage fees, Global Entry fees, seat upgrades, access to your preferred airport lounge and more. Simply use your card for these expenses and call us at 1-855-896-2222, and we will refund the charges after your flight."

Actual T&C language, as of 08.22.15:"Only the following types of non-ticket Net Purchases qualify for this offer: airline lounge day pass, or towards a yearly lounge membership of your choice; airline seat upgrades; airline baggage fees; in-flight internet/entertainment; in-flight meals; Global Entry fees."

As of 1/2/2015, Credit for these charges are based on TRANSACTION (purchase) date, not posting date. If you made an eligible purchase before the end of the year, even if it doesn't post until the following year, you can still receive credit for the previous year. See post #1268

DO NOT attempt to get all $300 in one transaction. Most CSRs will question what incidental charge would be so high. Instead, get multiple smaller gift cards which line up with fees that airline charges. Make sure that whatever amounts you choose, you have an explanation ready for each. For example, AA overweight baggage fee is $150. $50 is first checked bag for 2 ppl. $75 is in the range of upgrade fees, etc.

Please start a list of what charges have and have not been reimbursed.

Reimbursed:
F9 Award Fees $33.60
Admirals Lounge Meal $26
B6 Flight $96.20 x 2
Volaris Flight $82 x 4 (reimbursed for $300)
WN gift card $25
Seat upgrade to first- it was a bit of a challenge because they showed up as new tickets. I offered to have them look at another Chase card that had the original tickets, but the agent admitted, "$2xx.xx seems low for a round trip on United," and processed the refund.
Reimbursed for the $200 reactivation fee for expired AAdvantage miles. Oops... I mean I got reimbursed for $200 in AA seat upgrade fees
AY bag fees. Paid to AY in EUR, reimbursed in USD at amount shown on stmt.
AA seat upgrade fees. NOTE: these were oddball amounts, not even numbers.

Not Reimbursed:
AA Gift Cards
Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton Rewards Card (2016 onward)

Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
as long as your CL is lower than the threshold, you went get an AF for 2nd year too.
Not necessarily true. My CL is $1000, first year AF was refunded (in May), but was charged second year AF three weeks ago.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by mizzou1
Not necessarily true. My CL is $1000, first year AF was refunded (in May), but was charged second year AF three weeks ago.
Can you tell us your open date, first statement date and when you got charged with second year AF?

Opened mine around 12/2014.
1st AF charged: 1/2015
First statement date: 1/2015.
AF credit: 8/2015.
13th statement date 1/2016.

I still have not seen my AF billed to me yet. Maybe it will show up in my Feb statement? I hope not
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:05 pm

from reading retention reports on the Ritz card Chase doesn't seem to give CASH/statement credit retention offers anyway. They give a free night maybe.

I'd take guaranteed $395 over ONE free night cert any day. This is key for those like me who have multiple card in the $395- $500 AF range. keeps the overall costs down.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by greatname
Can you tell us your open date, first statement date and when you got charged with second year AF?

Opened mine around 12/2014.
1st AF charged: 1/2015
First statement date: 1/2015.
AF credit: 8/2015.
13th statement date 1/2016.

I still have not seen my AF billed to me yet. Maybe it will show up in my Feb statement? I hope not
Opened: 11/2014.
1st AF charged: 12/2014
First statement date: 12/2014
AF credit: 5/2015
2nd AF charged: 1/2016
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by mizzou1
Opened: 11/2014.
1st AF charged: 12/2014
First statement date: 12/2014
AF credit: 5/2015
2nd AF charged: 1/2016

oh this sucks///
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:50 pm

does this CL-AF trick work with other Chase high end cards? (like United Club)
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
does this CL-AF trick work with other Chase high end cards? (like United Club)
Probably, assuming it still works, but there are legitimate ways to get that card's AF waived the first year anyway: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/ymmv-c...lly-450-bonus/
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by mk712
Probably, assuming it still works, but there are legitimate ways to get that card's AF waived the first year anyway: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/ymmv-c...lly-450-bonus/

i'm looking at something for my third card year. year one i got a waived AF and year two i got a $150 statement credit (after $50k+ spend). after seeing the weak retention offers for the club card in the chase thread i'm looking at possible options for this card, which, unlike other $400+ cards, has no annual airline cash rebate feature and thus absent any retention offers your net cash cost is equal the AF.

so it's interesting to see how chase behaves on non-ritz cards or ritz cards in year two and after. I am not familiar with the Card Act but would speculate the 25% AF limit maybe relevant in the first year only? (similar to how you can't PC from a zero AF card to one with an AF in the first year).
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
oh this sucks///
Then my partner's card has the same timeline, but did not get charged the second year AF. I have no idea what to make out of it.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
It appears I got a 10% bonus on the sign up bonus (I got points). I didn't think you were supposed to get that. That was a pleasant surprise.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
All Ritz-Carlton Rewards Card offers [Consolidated]

I didn't get the 10% bonus on the sign-up bonus ..... Guess every account is different
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by chbartel
working fine.

I got my card mid December, 2015 so I could use up $300 in credit for 2015 and then also $300 in 2016....I bought 2 $75 AA gift cards, and 2 $65 AA gift cards, spread apart by about 2 days each. I also did two $75 gift cards so far this year(might as well knock this $300 out early this year) The key is this, as someone else posted a few pages back. I believe it's routed differently but so far no problems with 6 different requests for reimbursements:

When secure messaging, I found I had trouble when I used subject of "account inquiry" but the subject "other/not listed" was the most successful. Maybe they're routed to different people or departments?
@chbartel, You mentioned you did $75 gift cards in addition to the 2 $75 AA and 2 $65 AA. What were these gift cards? Please elaborate, as I'd like to use my $300 credit ASAP before closing and I don't have any travel expenses coming up. Any other suggestions from others would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:44 pm
jk2

So, if I already paid my annual fee and later decreased it to $1K, would I get for sure a refund for paid annual fee? This is my second year, I didn't lower it in the first year. I just don't want to take chances by waiting.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
So, if I already paid my annual fee and later decreased it to $1K, would I get for sure a refund for paid annual fee? This is my second year, I didn't lower it in the first year. I just don't want to take chances by waiting.

I wouldn't just reduce the limit on the Ritz but move the limit to another Chase card. If the AF isn't credited back you can always move the credit line back to the Ritz card.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:08 am

Just one more data point (as if there aren't enough already) to support why you should just call in instead of trying to SM. The Chase executive line reps are awesome. I called to request the airline reimbursement credit for some tickets I purchased on Volaris. The rep asked what charges they were, never asked whether they were for incidentals or anything, just credited all $300 immediately. Boom, 4 roundtrip flights to Mexico City for a total of $32 out of pocket.

Then, as if that wasn't good enough, she said, "It looks like you were just charged a late fee as well." I was surprised by this, since I never carry a balance and had enrolled in auto-pay, but it turns out I hadn't done it in time for it to process for this statement. Without any prompting from me she said, "I see you have several of our cards and have never had a late payment before, so let me go ahead and waive this as well as your interest payment." I thanked her, and that was that. This is an awesome card, made even more so by the great Chase reps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.